Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Oct 2018 at 6:36 AM
Default Major Python update planned for November. ALL script mods need to be recompiled or will cease to function.
This is pretty big news for the modding community, and deserves its own thread.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/949019
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I want to give you a heads up that in an upcoming release, we will be upgrading the version of Python used by the game. We currently use Python 3.3.5 and will be moving to Python 3.7.0. Once this change is released, all compiled script mods will completely stop working. Note that in this new version of Python, the .pyo extension is replaced by .pyc, see https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0488/

We know this will have impact on your script mod authoring pipelines so wanted to provide notice in advance so you can be ready for the change when it arrives. To assist, I’ve attached the Python scripts from the currently released version of the game (v1.46.18) recompiled under Python 3.7.0.

If all goes as planned, this change should arrive in November.

Note that there will not be any fundamental changes to tuning data, other than the typical types of changes we make to tuning for patches.

Thanks!
SGMS
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 4th Oct 2018 at 7:58 AM
Deaderpool just wrote that he doesn't know what changes will be, so he doesn't know what to do with mccc.

This is about gamechanging mods, and they will all have to be taken out of the game people.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 4th Oct 2018 at 9:20 AM
I don't really get why they have to update it...
dodgy builder
#5 Old 4th Oct 2018 at 9:58 AM
They probably wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't needed. They use a much lower upgrade number. It might be some features they want later, they need the upgrade for.

They probably have a budget for mods it has to be taken from.
Instructor
#6 Old 4th Oct 2018 at 11:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
They probably wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't needed. They use a much lower upgrade number. It might be some features they want later, they need the upgrade for.

They probably have a budget for mods it has to be taken from.

I have to agree. Despite the fact that I will be disappointed about not being able to use MCCC, (until Deaderpool figures out what he will do) maybe the update to python is a step in the right direction for the game. The good thing is they have let modders know about it. I just hope they give them the materials they need to keep making mods for the community.
Smeg Head
#7 Old 4th Oct 2018 at 12:20 PM Last edited by coolspear1 : 4th Oct 2018 at 12:38 PM.
The worst case scenario is there could be a long delay in script mods being updated to meet the new changes. As sure as there are tools to help the current script modders work their magic, there will be again. The need to re-evaluate and rework those tools was never there before, - not since they were first created - but it will be after the next patch, and a return to script modding will come to pass. So a new and better python via the devs, and the evolution of the modding tools via software writers who have always provided thus far, is assured. But how long we'll have to wait, that's the only real question.

And if EA dares to open up the deeper levels of their coding to help facilitate the evolution of script modding, then that wait may not be for very long. Gosh, we could even be applauding EA for once. Imagine that.

In the short term, I see a lot of dedicated mod users just holding back on patching, freezing their games at current level, till they get the announcements from script modders that the future is good and back on track. Why would EA miss out on being the complicit heroes in that bright future? Because it will come anyway, so why not be there as part of the glory.

What do you say, EA? Not asking you to start quoting Walt Whitman, brotherly love poems in your patch notes. Just help out those modders who have thus far been helping out your game.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Deceased
#8 Old 5th Oct 2018 at 9:09 AM
FYI - EA is assisting us with getting a working decompiler for the patch, and that's not until November, so they are being proactive and helpful in the matter.

The majority of existing scripts will likely be able to be simply recompiled, it will be when some of the internals change that certain mods that override existing functions in the EA scripts may break - and we have every hope that we will have a decompiler working by then. We have at least one modder that is very familiar with compilers working on the issue.
Scholar
#9 Old 5th Oct 2018 at 12:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by scumbumbo
FYI - EA is assisting us with getting a working decompiler for the patch, and that's not until November, so they are being proactive and helpful in the matter.

The majority of existing scripts will likely be able to be simply recompiled, it will be when some of the internals change that certain mods that override existing functions in the EA scripts may break - and we have every hope that we will have a decompiler working by then. We have at least one modder that is very familiar with compilers working on the issue.

I've been lurking on the creator's workshop channel on Deaderpool's Discord off and on since the announcement and I'm feeling a lot better about the state of things seeing how helpful EA is trying to be. I was so nervous though when I first read the announcement, because there's no way I could give up the small handful of script mods I use and still play the game and keep my sanity intact. I wish all of you the best of luck with the decompiler. It's really a shame though that EA won't allow access to the source.
Scholar
#10 Old 5th Oct 2018 at 4:09 PM
i'm looking forward too having a complete up-to-date mod folder, because any overlooked out-of-date cc that I may have won't work anyway and so it can't cause any problems.

The only mod I don't think I could live without even for a minute is mccc, the others I can wait day, two, or even a week, and besides if you have to update immediately, you can always patch the game after your essential mods are updated first...
Mad Poster
#11 Old 5th Oct 2018 at 4:12 PM
I all I gotta do is wait until all the mods are up to date before I update my game? That works. I waited before patching for pets. I can wait for Terrain tools.

The Receptacle still lives!
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 6th Oct 2018 at 9:43 PM
How do I completely decompile a mod script? I've tried, but particularly failed on the enums.

Sims are better than us.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 7th Oct 2018 at 12:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aparkison
I've been lurking on the creator's workshop channel on Deaderpool's Discord off and on since the announcement and I'm feeling a lot better about the state of things seeing how helpful EA is trying to be. I was so nervous though when I first read the announcement, because there's no way I could give up the small handful of script mods I use and still play the game and keep my sanity intact. I wish all of you the best of luck with the decompiler. It's really a shame though that EA won't allow access to the source.

EA knows that the majority of users of the Sims4 game use mods and scripts, it would be suicidal for them to defeat this, it would be shoot in the foot ... VIP shares a file, the modders can already do their own research ...
Field Researcher
#14 Old 7th Oct 2018 at 4:15 PM
Horrible. I am scared for this patch.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 7th Oct 2018 at 5:09 PM
Don't be. This is far from the first patch we've had that did this.

The Receptacle still lives!
One Minute Ninja'd
#16 Old 7th Oct 2018 at 7:04 PM
At least they were nice enough to let folks know and with a little time before the patch goes out. Back in TS3 they released Pets and broke every surface custom content item in the game. It took the community a few weeks to correct the problem, and a tool became available you could run on all your cc yourself, but there were a lot of very unhappy campers that go around.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 7th Oct 2018 at 7:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
At least they were nice enough to let folks know and with a little time before the patch goes out. Back in TS3 they released Pets and broke every surface custom content item in the game. It took the community a few weeks to correct the problem, and a tool became available you could run on all your cc yourself, but there were a lot of very unhappy campers that go around.

Didn't that same thing happen with TS4 or is my sense of time so messed up and it actually was only TS3? I could've sworn some TS4 release also broke every surface or comfort item and you had to download some studio program that fixed it...
Well, either way - It's good they give a quick shout-out and let Simmers/modders know in advance. Hopefully the really popular scripts will be updated quickly.
One Minute Ninja'd
#18 Old 7th Oct 2018 at 7:40 PM
I just got back into TS4 so I would have missed the drama of the same error just because the cat wants to jump on the sofa all over again. Still, it is EA, so why not repeat the same mistake?
Instructor
#19 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 4:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by hiabara
Didn't that same thing happen with TS4 or is my sense of time so messed up and it actually was only TS3? I could've sworn some TS4 release also broke every surface or comfort item and you had to download some studio program that fixed it...
Well, either way - It's good they give a quick shout-out and let Simmers/modders know in advance. Hopefully the really popular scripts will be updated quickly.

Yup sure did break custom counters and and other custom objects lol I remember the uproar about it when I had a Facebook. I was apart of a sims group page and people were losing it lol. Now the cats get stuck on the counter... If it isn't one thing it's another... 😄
#20 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 4:50 PM
If they had pushed out the free content before this announcement I would have to reserve judgement. However, since they announced it then delayed it THEN announced this all i can think is that we have to patch in order to get this content. I can see the appeal of terrain tools for others but i'm not personally in that camp, the career is more of my style but i'm not willing to break my game for one measly thing. Alot of more naive younger people will be gung-ho for it and then stuck without their mods and the anger is then directed at the mod community instead of EA's backhanded way. They come out looking golden for the free stuff while the community folds in on itself because they can't forsee whatever issues they're going to run into when doing this new upgrade.

I've already tried playing just vanilla for a week to see if i could stomach it for this patch and i cant so game updates go off until i feel comfortable with where things are.
One Minute Ninja'd
#21 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 1:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SingleClawDesigns
If they had pushed out the free content before this announcement I would have to reserve judgement. However, since they announced it then delayed it THEN announced this all i can think is that we have to patch in order to get this content. I can see the appeal of terrain tools for others but i'm not personally in that camp, the career is more of my style but i'm not willing to break my game for one measly thing. Alot of more naive younger people will be gung-ho for it and then stuck without their mods and the anger is then directed at the mod community instead of EA's backhanded way. They come out looking golden for the free stuff while the community folds in on itself because they can't forsee whatever issues they're going to run into when doing this new upgrade.

I've already tried playing just vanilla for a week to see if i could stomach it for this patch and i cant so game updates go off until i feel comfortable with where things are.

Well, given it's taken them 4 (?) years to finally roll out terrain tools, waiting another month or two to let script modders have the time to update their code doesn't seem like a tough call. Then again, I don't believe I've ever applied a patch to any Sims game on release because something gets busted that was fine pre-patch (OK, they got me with Pets and the damn broken furniture in TS3, but never again).
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 10:48 AM
I feel like I know the answer, but I just want to make sure. This patch will only break files that end in .ts4script, yeah? Tuning mods and such made using programs like S4S won't be affected?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#24 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 1:07 PM
They said CC will be ok (ie objects and clothes etc) Not sure whether they said about tuning type things

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Deceased
#25 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 9:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
They said CC will be ok (ie objects and clothes etc) Not sure whether they said about tuning type things

There will be changes to tuning, but they said it shouldn't be anything out of the ordinary changes you'd see in any game patch. Of course, those can sometimes be quite major to us even when they think it's a minor change.
Page 1 of 2