Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 11:14 AM Last edited by Squidconqueror : 21st Jun 2018 at 12:51 PM.
Default Sometimes the game would randomly run slow and jerky.
I have a weird problem with the game running smoothly for a while and then all a sudden it would run all slow and jerky which is strange because I could run Sims 3 on the highest settings with little to no lag and that game has an open world. Sims 2 only loads one lot and I was a playing in a small lot and after a while the game would slow down along with the game clock. It would go away after a while but then it would do it again at a random time which gets really annoying because this is my all time favorite Sims game. Is there anyway to fix this annoying problem? I would list all the custom content and mods that i'm using but I don't know how to do that but it's 7.43 gbs. I have a Windows 10 laptop with Intel core i5 and 8gbs of ram.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 12:17 PM
Could be it happens when the game is processing something that takes up extra resources. Change of skintones and overlays (like sunburns, werewolves turning, etc.), visiting sims or pets, generating thumbnails for buy/build/CAS, weather changes, or similar.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 2:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Could be it happens when the game is processing something that takes up extra resources. Change of skintones and overlays (like sunburns, werewolves turning, etc.), visiting sims or pets, generating thumbnails for buy/build/CAS, weather changes, or similar.

It's a possibility however even without all that stuff happening it still randomly gets slow and jerky which leads to think that it may a corrupt custom content,mods or that I simply just have too much stuff installed in the game that's the cause of the problem.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 2:31 PM
If you use CC with high polycounts or large/many textures, this can also cause some lag. A lot of TS3/TS4 creators make high-poly CC, and converted to TS2 it might be too much for the game to handle if you have a lot of it. Hairs by certain TS2 creators can also be high poly.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 3:14 PM
If you use CC with high polycounts or large/many textures, this can also cause some lag. A lot of TS3/TS4 creators make high-poly CC, and converted to TS2 it might be too much for the game to handle if you have a lot of it. Hairs by certain TS2 creators can also be high poly.

How do I find out if the clothes and hair are high poly?
Forum Resident
#6 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 9:53 PM
Are you running the game with one core? Using multiple cores is known to affect performance in that manner with some configurations.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 10:02 PM
When downloading, look for the polycount in the creator's description (not everyone does it, but it's the quickest way). If you can't, you'll have to open up the file in SimPE, and check the list of groups in the GMDC resource. If the polycount is up to 10.000 polys, it's probably alright. Anything over is high poly if it's a CAS item or a one-tile sized object. If it's over 20.000, you may want to consider removing the item. Some creators pile up polygons to make their items look smooth, but most items can make do with less than 20.000 polys and still look smooth enough unless you plan to get extremely close (as in one eye or finger or a teeny detail filling up the entire screen).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 11:00 PM
Do you have the 4GB patch on?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#9 Old 13th Mar 2018 at 12:00 AM
Squid, your set-up sounds like it's similar to mine - W10, Intel i5 and 8GB RAM.

You'd be wise to do what Jo recommends, if you haven't already, as a lot full of stuff (both default and CC) can crash it because it hits the memory limit (I had this with Phae's version of the Goth Mansion - updating the .exe made all the difference). However, as Dorsal Axe said, the random freezing could well be due to it trying to use multiple cores when the game wasn't designed for it - it was released before computers had such things!
I've read on leefish.nl that adding -CPUCount:1 to the shortcut target will force it to run on a single core... I need to try it myself, so don't quote me yet for it working!

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Mar 2018 at 2:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Do you have the 4GB patch on?

Yeah I updated it with a 4gb patch.
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 13th Mar 2018 at 3:04 AM Last edited by Squidconqueror : 13th Mar 2018 at 7:29 AM.
When downloading, look for the polycount in the creator's description (not everyone does it, but it's the quickest way). If you can't, you'll have to open up the file in SimPE, and check the list of groups in the GMDC resource. If the polycount is up to 10.000 polys, it's probably alright. Anything over is high poly if it's a CAS item or a one-tile sized object. If it's over 20.000, you may want to consider removing the item. Some creators pile up polygons to make their items look smooth, but most items can make do with less than 20.000 polys and still look smooth enough unless you plan to get extremely close (as in one eye or finger or a teeny detail filling up the entire screen).

I probably have over hundreds of stuff in the Download folder so it would be too much of a hassle to go through it all so I may just have to run it without the download folder and see how it would perform.
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 20th Mar 2018 at 6:08 AM
I've found out that lowering my graphic settings to the lowest settings still couldn't help make the game go any faster so after i'm done raising a child up to a teen I'll try taking away all the CC to see if would help the performance except the default eyes because the Maxis eyes creeps me out for some reason especially when you zoom up close to them which is funny because I didn't have a problem with them back when I was young and it that still doesn't work then I may just have to reinstall the game.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 20th Mar 2018 at 8:59 AM
Reinstalling the game will only help if the issue is in the installation files and most times it is not. How does it run with your CC removed?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 20th Mar 2018 at 10:12 AM Last edited by Squidconqueror : 20th Mar 2018 at 10:31 AM.
Reinstalling the game will only help if the issue is in the installation files and most times it is not. How does it run with your CC removed?

I just went ahead and reinstalled the game just to make sure that it wasn't a faulty installation,moved my EA folder with all the CC and mods over to my desktop then allowed the game to generate a new one,waited until Pleasantview gets done creating all the files and moved Julien Cooke into a small house. Perhaps I had overreacted a little bit because the game still looks beautiful even without CC, even the eyes. I guess they just looked too flat and outdated looking that caused me to not really care for them anymore so I'll download a replacement along and slowly put my CC back in as soon as I get done testing the game out.
Edit:What does the 4gb patch does anyway?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 20th Mar 2018 at 11:08 AM
And patched each disk as you went to I hope (unless you are on all collections) But seriously not only a waste of your time but potentially harmful as uninstalling can leave behind small files. It's very difficult to corrupt your installation.

I was coming back to say the few times my game has gone slow has been CC. There are some growable flowers by Bek that do it, also some of the other NPC animals of hers.

The patch means you can use 4 Gb of memory instead of 2 Gb.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 20th Mar 2018 at 11:55 AM
And patched each disk as you went to I hope (unless you are on all collections) But seriously not only a waste of your time but potentially harmful as uninstalling can leave behind small files. It's very difficult to corrupt your installation.

I was coming back to say the few times my game has gone slow has been CC. There are some growable flowers by Bek that do it, also some of the other NPC animals of hers.

The patch means you can use 4 Gb of memory instead of 2 Gb.

That's great because I have 8gbs of ram installed in the laptop. I still haven't applied it yet but I will before I start up the game again. So far the game have been working perfectly except in the beginning when NPCS would start arriving to give out gifts and welcome you. Downtown ran fine as well when I went to the clothing store to try out and buy an outfit for Julien's date. The nightclub was a bit glitchy because before the sims including Julien would walk the steps they would twirl their finger and do a cuckoo gesture then they would freeze up and teleport pass the steps which wasn't a big deal to me personally and the game would freeze for a little bit to generate the good and bad witch along with the fx. Do you think it's all right for me to slowly put the mods and cc back in a little bit at a time?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 20th Mar 2018 at 1:21 PM
That's what I would do, most important things back first. Lag on large lots, while sims spawn, weather changes and sim temperature changing happens to everybody.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#18 Old 20th Mar 2018 at 2:47 PM
That's what I would do, most important things back first. Lag on large lots, while sims spawn, weather changes and sim temperature changing happens to everybody.

I'm slowly putting back in CC and mods and testing the game out to see how well the game would perform with them. I only have worth of 678 MBS of CC and mods installed in the downloads instead of over 7.4 gbs like I previously had. I've even had more then that that last time but I saved them on to one of my backup drives in case I want them again and after patching the exe file up to 4gbs it seems to be running a little more smoother now. Is it true that this game runs better on only one core?
Scholar
#19 Old 20th Mar 2018 at 10:51 PM
Squid, I've now run my game on one core only, and while I'm still getting a little bit of lag (besides the usual factors), it's definitely better than it was. Not that it was horrendous before, but enough to make me try to fix it!

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Scholar
Original Poster
#20 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 1:28 AM Last edited by Squidconqueror : 22nd Mar 2018 at 10:25 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Selly_2009
Squid, I've now run my game on one core only, and while I'm still getting a little bit of lag (besides the usual factors), it's definitely better than it was. Not that it was horrendous before, but enough to make me try to fix it!

That's good to hear. I've installed some default Maxis match eyes and i'm slowly putting stuff back in and testing it out. It actually performed pretty well with the stuff I have on it now. I'm about to put back in all my default replacements after i'm finished.
Edit: It seems like the problem went away after I limited my CC to a more reasonable amount.