Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jan 2017 at 8:24 PM
Default Will this run Sims 4 and Planet Coaster?
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new PC that can play both Sims 4 (and it's EPs and a butt-load of CC probably) and Planet Coaster. I've seen one online that seems pretty decent and I've tried my best to get one that meets the requirements but when you know next to nothing about computers, it can all get very overwhelming very quickly trying to figure out where all the different components are at performance wise, especially when trying to find a computer that can run two different games each with their own requirements. I've read the link above for help buying a computer but it seems tailored to Sims 2/3 so I'm not sure if it's been updated or not for Sims 4, and even still, that wouldn't help me in regards to Planet Coaster. I've tried using it to compare parts on different computers but either it's out of date or I keep finding computers with components not listed on the link. The more I try to figure it all out, the more confused I'm getting. So I do apologise if I've overlooked something blindingly obvious but I could really do with some advice and opinions on this computer, if at all possible.

Here's the specs, not sure what is and isn't relevant so I just copypasted it all:

CPU Family: AMD FX 4 Core
Processor Number: 4300
CPU Speed: 3.8 GHz
Socket: AM3+
Architecture: 32/64-bit
Technology: 32nm
Number of Cores: 4
Turbo Core: 4.0 GHz
Memory
Description: Kingston ValueRAM
Memory Size (Total): 16384 MB
Memory Type: DDR3
Memory Speed: 1600 MHz
Number of Modules: 2 module(s)
Module Size: 8192 MB
Error Correction: Non ECC
Voltage: 1.5 V
Pin Configuration: 240 pins
Hard Disk
Description: Seagate Desktop
Disk Capacity: 2000 GB
Disk Speed: 7200 RPM
Data Buffer/RAM: 64 MB
Average Latency: 4.16 ms
Dedicated Graphics
Description: GeForce GTX 1060
Additional Graphics
Description: None
Motherboard
Chipset Manufacturer: AMD
Chipset: 970
Motherboard Model: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P Motherboard
Network (Wireless)
Speed Options: Up to 300Mbps
RF Network Standard: 802.11b/g/n
Frequency Band: 2.400 to 2.4835GHz
Interface: PCI Express
Warranty
Warranty: 3 Year Collect & Return
Parts: 3 Years
Labour: 3 Years
Network (Wired)
Network Speeds Supported: 10/100/1000 Mbps
Sound
Integrated Sound: Realtek HD audio codec High Definition Audio 2/4/5.1/7.1-channel Support for S/PDIF Out
Physical
Chassis: Game Max Vegas
Rear Panel I/O Ports
Keyboard Port: 1 x PS/2
Mouse Port: 1 x PS/2
USB Ports: 6 x USB 2.0 2 x USB 3.0
VGA Port: No
DVI Port: No
HDMI Port: No
DisplayPorts: No
Ethernet Connectors (RJ-45): 1 x RJ-45
Audio Line Out Ports: 1 x Line Out
CPU Cooler
Cooler Model: CCL Choice
Liquid Cooler: No
Power Supply
Power: 600 W
Modular Cables: No
Power Supply Model: Cooler Master B600 ver.2
Efficiency Rating: 80 Plus

Will this be enough to run sims 4/Planet Coaster at decent/high settings? Is it overkill? Anything I should be aware of if I decent to buy it? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 10:20 AM
It'll be fine for TS4, and it will do for Planet Coaster but you won't get high settings - it's the graphics card that's letting you down there. Frontier recommend a GTX 980 for Planet Coaster, which is the best model in the 9xx series; you've gone one series up but several models down, and the 1060 is a significant downgrade compared to the 980. So, if you want to improve performance on Planet Coaster, aim for a 970 or 980 (or a 1070 or 1080 - but the price premium on those will probably not be proportional to the performance increase, though YMMV).

I'm a little concerned by the fact that your specs suggest there are no display output ports at all .

I'm also not entirely convinced by that PSU. Only 600w? I know it's an 80+ which is good, but I would really recommend you calculate the power requirements of your major components and make sure that PSU is up to the job before sinking any money.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 2:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
It'll be fine for TS4, and it will do for Planet Coaster but you won't get high settings - it's the graphics card that's letting you down there. Frontier recommend a GTX 980 for Planet Coaster, which is the best model in the 9xx series; So, if you want to improve performance on Planet Coaster, aim for a 970 or 980 (or a 1070 or 1080 - but the price premium on those will probably not be proportional to the performance increase, though YMMV).

Sorry for late reply. Thanks for the info.

"you've gone one series up but several models down, and the 1060 is a significant downgrade compared to the 980."

Thank you - this is exactly why I post here about computer issues. Things like graphics card series and models mean nothing to me; they're just numbers and I always just wrongly thought that the higher the number the better the card. I will look for a model with a 980 card.

"I'm a little concerned by the fact that your specs suggest there are no display output ports at all ."

Haha, I never even noticed that! Hopefully that's just something they've forgotten to mention?! I mean, I'm assuming here that it does have a display output... but then I did see this on eBay so you never know...

"I'm also not entirely convinced by that PSU. Only 600w? I know it's an 80+ which is good, but I would really recommend you calculate the power requirements of your major components and make sure that PSU is up to the job before sinking any money.[/QUOTE]"

I would have no idea how to go this at all. Any advice or good websites which could explain it like I'm 5?