Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Nov 2017 at 5:34 PM
Default Halp with Legacy gameplay
I almost never change the way i play. And the way i play is usually with 1-4 YA sims, with againg either off or high(100+ just in the YA state with the other lifestages being much much smaller) starting from the bottom either broke or in a house they can afford without cheats, with the goals of max stats, max career, lots of friends and moving around the town into bigger better houses. Usually once their actual adults is when i make them have kids, almost always after ive reached most if not all my goals, and thats when i find myself bored.
Basically my main gameplay style is to make money amd buy shit, but once im loaded up ill start getting bored and want to start over.
I have always wanted to try legacy and generational challanges but...sim children annoy me to play after a certain amount of time. I dislike playing sims who cannot do like everything lol. I have never even played an elder sim or had one die on me. Ive never really had any sim die that wasnt intentional lol.
What are some tips to make legacy or generational gameplay something id like more?
I have Ambitions, LN, Supernatural, Pets and TL stuff.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 8th Nov 2017 at 6:20 PM
Well, I'm no legacy player - not really - but my simmies family line has well over 30 generations now and I guess for me the most important thing is not get stuck in playing the same way over and over again. Every generation does something new - career, hobbies, etc. - and when it comes to supenatural life states, I don't use the same ones in row. I also tend to change the neigborhoods every two to three generations to keep things interesting - yes, I always take all the tombstones along - and to always have something new around, new people to meet. And whoever my simmies marry, it's always a townie or a foreigner (touch-up allowed ), etc., never a dowloaded or self-made sim. Also, every generation gets a brand new house because I love to build and tend to get bored of the houses after awhile.

Edit: If I ever feel like I'm too bored to play with toddlers or kids, I just change the age settings or age them ahead of time. Have done that a few times now.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 8th Nov 2017 at 6:33 PM
Hm. Currently playing through my first legacy that's actually getting to the third generation. Typically for me, in addition to mods (the no stretch children can should help with your issue with kids, as could Generations), I try and mostly focus on building friendships as a child and letting them do whatever they want as long as they don't get into the red.

Apart from that, change it up once in a while! My current family started as a lesbian couple and their four cats, but I occasionally send the couple on vacation to do something different. Play a new world. Try out a skill you rarely play (cooking is a big one for me lol). Try a challenge where you nearly wipe out the town with murderous schemes...i mean what.

I'd also say that sharing the craziness your sims get into is a good way to keep interested.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 8th Nov 2017 at 10:02 PM
I played my family 34 generations and tracked everything on excel. I set up goals for each generation. I wanted to play every trait, max every career, meet all aspirations, collect everything, etc. It was fun to check things off as goals were accomplished.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Nov 2017 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Esper-of-Tropica
I'd also say that sharing the craziness your sims get into is a good way to keep interested.

I always wonder what exactly people mean by this....i am an absolute control freak for this game, i like to line up as many tasks as possible and im always monitoring what every one is doing so ive never really experienced my sims doing random stuff. I just cant play like that i get like mini panic attacks if anyones needs are in red ive never been able to let my sims free roam...the ai doesnt push them to do much, like it will have them watch tv until needs are red imo then fix a need.. They never do anything crazy they just complain or die from needs not being met
Mad Poster
#6 Old 9th Nov 2017 at 5:24 AM
IMO you are missing half of the fun of the game. Seeing the unexpected is an adventure. Stories will almost write themselves. I love the silly things. Last time I played the llama was there in the middle of the night and a zombie with an umbrella in the pouring rain was giving him a bad time. I had to laugh seeing that.
Alchemist
#7 Old 9th Nov 2017 at 9:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MadamVioletDomme
...the ai doesnt push them to do much, like it will have them watch tv until needs are red imo then fix a need.. They never do anything crazy they just complain or die from needs not being met

Hmm, you didn't say what story progression you use but I have the Nraas one and it certainly does make simmies do things when not supervised. After the toddler phase, I always concentrate playing with the kid that will carry on the family name and let the rest of the family mostly do what ever they want. Many times it's something hilarious. Just a few days ago I was playing my teen sim and I quickly checked what her parents were doing (mostly do that to see their need bars). Her mom was ice skating, while this zombie was desperately trying to attact her at the same time, chacing her around the ice... the poor smuck. And the great-grandmother killed herself by trying to fix the dishwasher.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 9th Nov 2017 at 6:11 PM
That must have been funny to see that chase, Varpunen. I also tend to concentrate on one or 2 sims each generation. I usually run parallel lines and each generation has one child/heir. It is rare the there are 2 and normally the second is kicked out, um I mean moves out, when an adult.
Alchemist
#9 Old 9th Nov 2017 at 7:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
That must have been funny to see that chase, Varpunen. I also tend to concentrate on one or 2 sims each generation. I usually run parallel lines and each generation has one child/heir. It is rare the there are 2 and normally the second is kicked out, um I mean moves out, when an adult.

Yeah, I wish I would've gotten it on video but didn't realize to do that at that moment. At first I thought he was just skating too with his own style but when I checked, the mom had the "being attacked by a zombie" in her queue - not that she seemed to care about it at all - and the poor guy kept doing his best to catch her. That went on for about couple of minutes, until the mom decided that she had had enough of skating.

My simmies usually have three kids in each gen, so that I have multiple options to choose the heir from. I tend to make the final decicion when the kids turn into teenagers. And yes, I also kick... I mean move them out as soon as possible. The only thing I leave behind when chancing a town is the siblings because in the long run - and after all this time - I would be drowning in them, their tombstones and descendants.