Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th May 2014 at 4:28 PM
Default Coat Textures
I made some recolours of the Maxis trenchcoat and uploaded them. I got a 'changes required'.

"I gave that because I noticed that the black and dark brown coat textures have some discoloured crunchy areas on the chest."

The discolouration has been there ever since I made the recolours in Photoshop. It only shows on the black and dark brown coats and I've tried to fix it and failed.

Does anyone have any ideas to help?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Demon Sheep
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th May 2014 at 5:40 PM
That looks like the compression Bodyshop automatically applies when it exports the textures to your final project. It tends to happen with dark colours like yours. If that's the case, the best way to fix it is with SimPE. Here's how:

1. Make sure you have a good, unpixelated version of your texture
2. Open your final product's .package file in SimPE - you want the file from SavedSims, not from Projects
3. Export the texture .png to your desktop or wherever you can easily find it
4. Open the exported texture .png in your graphics program
5. Paste your good, unpixelated texture into a new layer on top of the pixelated one
6. On your good layer, erase (or mask out) the parts of the texture that are transparent on the exported PNG. You should be left with your good clear texture and the right spots invisible for the sim's skin to show through.
7. Save your new texture as a PNG file.
8. Import your new PNG into the .package file using Build DXT - make sure the quality level is at least DXT3 (5 is fine too). DXT1 will not keep the transparency and will be pixelated.
9. Compress your file with the Compressorizor. This is optional but I highly recommend it because files with textures imported this way are ridiculously large. Compressing reduces them back down to normal levels.

I know that sounds like a lot of steps, but once you get the hang of it it's not too bad.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th May 2014 at 3:21 AM
The problem is that the pic of the brown coat is in Photoshop, before I did anything to it in Bodyshop. It's been like that ever since I made the recolour.
Demon Sheep
retired moderator
#4 Old 8th May 2014 at 4:32 AM
Okay. Hmm. So you have a couple options.

1. Try to salvage your existing texture. What I would try is desaturating the coat and then "colorizing" it. This may fix some of the patchy colour blocks but the coat will likely still be a bit pixely looking. Worth a shot.

2. Redo the coat part. Start again with the original unpixelated base textures, and when you change the colours make sure it doesn't come out pixely this time. I'm not sure what you used as a base - was it a Maxis coat? Someone else's texture? Was it a Maxis coat and you changed the buttons and pockets? If so, do you have a PSD with the buttons on a separate layer to make fixing it easier? If it's based on a Maxis coat, is there a darker Maxis coat you can use as your base instead of that light one in your pic? Starting with a darker base will make it much easier.

As for how to darken a coat without it getting pixely... it's kind of trial and error. Try reducing "lightness" and changing the "levels" instead of just decreasing "brightness". You could try "colorizing" it or fiddling with "curves". It kind of just takes a bit of practice...there's no exact forumula that always works perfectly.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th May 2014 at 4:28 PM
Is this any better or is it still dodgy looking?
Screenshots
Demon Sheep
retired moderator
#6 Old 8th May 2014 at 6:01 PM
Looks a bit better to me. What did you do to it?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 9th May 2014 at 2:11 PM
I just straight desaturated and darkened the Maxis coat and used your method of avoiding Bodyshop.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th May 2014 at 4:11 PM
Okay, I resubmitted them. Thanks for your help!