Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 3:13 AM
Default Do you think Sims 4 is worth it for me to give it another chance?
Ever since I heard how many things were cut out in the game I lost interest in it although to be honest I did give it a fair shot and played it plenty of time from 2014 and 2015 onward I started to get bored of only playing it from time to time until the boredom finally got to me and returned to Sims 3 and 2. It's not until toddlers were introduced back into game where I gave another try but even that eventually lost its appeal so I didn't bother playing it again after that. So now with the reintroduction of pets(for the forth time) and the return of toddlers do you think Sims 4 is worth checking seeing as how the DVD case is collecting dust inside my sister's drawer not that I really need it or something because I had already registered the game on Origin and I could just download and reinstall from there which renders the DVD useless.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 3:34 AM
They did add some freebies to it through patches. The WickedWhims mod certainly improves the game a lot too.
Scholar
#3 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 4:47 AM
Guess it depends on the mood and person, end of 2014, I put the game aside with boredom, and never planned to touch it again, mid 2016, I decide to give it another go, this time the addiction came nearly instantly and turns out the best decision I ever made.

I would try again, and approach it in a different way, I mean what have you got to lose, except maybe just an hour or two of your life.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 6:06 AM
This is something only you can decide and as you own it already there is nothing to lose in trying it again. You will stick with it or not no matter what input you get here.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 12:20 PM
The toddlers made the difference for me - we kept telling them in Sims 2 that we wanted toddlers (and a clever person even did a wonderful mod to create them), and they delivered in Sims 3. And then, they took them away. I wasn't thrilled with all the things we lost in Sims 4 (it was almost retro to Sims 2), but the toddlers were literaly a game-breaker for me. So, having them back has re-addicted me to the game (I just wish I had more time to play - stupid job). Also, I think the more you play, the more accustomed you get to figuring out how to keep your Sims happy, and you find the little short-cuts to get a need boost. (Social is still a bit of an annoyance - they don't seem to gain anything from eating or watching tv together. They have to interact, and even with Loner Sims, you spend a good chunk of time on aimless chatter.)

Haven't bought Pets yet - I've happily drowned annoying Sims, but I can't bear the thought of even a pixelated cat suffering from my gameplay incompetence. I do miss the fish and (non-disease-bearing) guinea pigs. I would like to see a Seasons EP - it was sort of fun to deal with the elements.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 1:03 PM
I had Sims 4 on my computer for six months, and I did play it. However, I feel just like Sims 2 needed time, Sims 4 needs a lot more time to mature. Probably eight to ten more years. "The Sims", have turned out to be a "Dynasty", or "Legacy" series. I don't believe EAgames expected that. They are indeed, in denial of that fact.

I don't care for the "Mannequin" faces of Sims 3. However, The Sims 4 , has LOTS of potential, just as Sims 2 has, and I will keep it safely archived, until such time as it matures enough to be versatile, and more fun!

TBH, If The Sims 3 sims, looked more like Sims 2, or Sims 4, I'd probably be playing it more than any other in the series. Love the concept, dislike the way they look.

Give it ten, more years, and it'll be a fantastic game.... Thanks to the likes of the creative genius's, like we have here on MTS, and other Sims websites.

You people are awesome!
Scholar
#7 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 2:13 PM Last edited by Citysim : 5th Dec 2017 at 2:23 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by invisiblgirl

Haven't bought Pets yet - I've happily drowned annoying Sims, but I can't bear the thought of even a pixelated cat suffering from my gameplay incompetence. I do miss the fish and (non-disease-bearing) guinea pigs. I would like to see a Seasons EP - it was sort of fun to deal with the elements.

Yeah I haven't brought pets yet either, I don't see no need as yet, i still got so much to I want to achieve, and atm i'm enjoying them not invading my worlds unlike the mistake i did of rushing out and buying Vampires and now can never go out anywhere day or night without bumping into one, when there are times I just don't want them around.

I will buy Pet's as soon as boredom sets in, but at the moment there is SO much drama and action happening in every corner, I don't see the need.

Quote: Originally posted by Kunder
Give it ten, more years, and it'll be a fantastic game.... Thanks to the likes of the creative genius's, like we have here on MTS, and other Sims websites.

Since the TS4 was released in a half-finished mess, (no pools, no NPCs, no ghosts, no toddlers, etc, etc) very doubt it will be fully be able to recover, but I think it's done a nice job so far, despite being the most buggiest sims yet.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 3:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
This is something only you can decide and as you own it already there is nothing to lose in trying it again. You will stick with it or not no matter what input you get here.

Indeed. What we think could turn to be indifferent from how you might find the game whether it's enjoyable or not If you try playing the game for yourself. Answering would be of course bias as we're sharing our own personal feelings about the game, and that I think isn't the right way of answering the "shoud I or should I not" question, because... you might start judging the game without giving that shot to try it out and... well.. *hard to form a sentence-- REDO* because you probably end up not playing in the game based on our feedback and not from your experience, but there is still a possible outcome you would have enjoy it despite the input, so you might be missing the mark.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 9:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Motorcitydude
The WickedWhims mod certainly improves the game a lot too.

The only reason worth the effort of initializing this game...
Field Researcher
#10 Old 6th Dec 2017 at 4:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kunder
I had Sims 4 on my computer for six months, and I did play it. However, I feel just like Sims 2 needed time, Sims 4 needs a lot more time to mature. Probably eight to ten more years. "The Sims", have turned out to be a "Dynasty", or "Legacy" series. I don't believe EAgames expected that. They are indeed, in denial of that fact.

I don't care for the "Mannequin" faces of Sims 3. However, The Sims 4 , has LOTS of potential, just as Sims 2 has, and I will keep it safely archived, until such time as it matures enough to be versatile, and more fun!

TBH, If The Sims 3 sims, looked more like Sims 2, or Sims 4, I'd probably be playing it more than any other in the series. Love the concept, dislike the way they look.

You people are awesome!

Same. TS3 sims are creepy. As an artist, I can't overlook that.
I don't think TS4 will still be going for 10 more years, but I don't see TS5 being any better....
Test Subject
#11 Old 7th Dec 2017 at 4:38 PM
I have TS4 and play it from time to time, but I always end up with the desire to customize the heck out of everything: the worlds, the lots, the sims, etc. In TS4 the customization possibilities are very limited though, and it pisses me off. For example, I want to treat Magnolia Promenade as a vibrant downtown, but can't do this because it has only 4 lots; I still can pretend that Willow Creek , Magnolia Promenade, Newcrest, and even San Myshuno are neighborhoods within the same city, so I'm kinda ok-ish with their sizes; however, Windenburg, Forgotten Hollow, Oasis Springs, and this new Pets town have so distinct look and atmosphere to them, that they can only be treated as separate towns, but they're too small for that, and there's no way to expand them! No new empty lots can be added, and many already existing ones are off the roads (I never liked this).
Plus, everything looks like plastic toys: hair, skin, timber, grass, leaves, stone, even clouds. It all can be considered pretty in a cartoony way, but I just don't like a life simulator game to look cartoony.
Scholar
#12 Old 7th Dec 2017 at 7:00 PM
San Myshuno bothers me, because generation after generation its the exact same scenery, the same advertisements if on billiboards,everyday, the same fake shops, the same art and graffiti on the buildings nothing moves on and changes, like a real city does, and even worse the exact same weather, a bright blue sunny day.

We might not be able to build things to make things appear different, but at least S4S makes it easy to override the textures, and that's my favourite passtime, when it's comes to customisation.
Alchemist
#13 Old 7th Dec 2017 at 7:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by invisiblgirl
The toddlers made the difference for me - we kept telling them in Sims 2 that we wanted toddlers (and a clever person even did a wonderful mod to create them), and they delivered in Sims 3.
Toddlers shipped with Sims 2's base game. They weren't modded in.

On to the question - if you had fun with it before, you probably will again. For me, Sims 4 is fun, but shallow. The sort of game you play for a little while, put down for a few weeks then pick back up again.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 8th Dec 2017 at 11:47 AM
I could not stand The Sims 4 at launch either because I was and still is bitter about the lack of open world, Create-a-Style and Create-a-World, but nearly 20 GBs of CC later plus SPs, GPs, EPs AND MC Command Center, they are much more playable so I recommend you to give it a third/fourth chance, starting from browsing Lana CC Finds and downloading Sim 4 Studio
Happy Simming!
Scholar
#15 Old 8th Dec 2017 at 12:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
Toddlers shipped with Sims 2's base game. They weren't modded in.

On to the question - if you had fun with it before, you probably will again. For me, Sims 4 is fun, but shallow. The sort of game you play for a little while, put down for a few weeks then pick back up again.

It's only when I get so frustrated with the bugs, makes me sometimes exit and put it aside for while. TS4 is sort of game where you have to expect bugs, and just learn to live and just laugh at them, otherwise the game is not for everybody.
Scholar
#16 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 1:36 AM
Well, I'm gonna do something uncharacteristic and actually have something positive to say about EA after a long time. Cats And Dogs is the first TS4 expansion that didn't feel like I was being ripped off, either by having to pay for formerly basegame stuff or by getting way too little bang per buck. CAD actually has a TON of animations, a lot more than any previous pets expansion, AND a built in texture editor to paint your pet's spots or accents just as you like them. You can pretty much recreate a RL cat or dog, if you're any good with a mouse. It also comes with a decent amount of other stuff, like furnitures, walls, floors, clothes and hairs. I'd say more than the average stuff pack. Also a large new neighbourhood, new plants, new traits, etc.

And strangely enough, it doesn't seem to create any conflicts or other problems with their other packs. Pets just work with the elevators from City Life, and other such stuff from other packs.

All in all, this coming from EA... I feel like I've accidentally beamed down to the mirror universe

So, I dunno, if there was ever a reason to give TS4 another try, IMHO this would be it. Assuming, of course, that you're into cats and dogs.
Scholar
#17 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 9:14 PM
Just to add, though, if you were more into, say, horses or deer or such, you won't find any in C&D. So there's that caveat. Personally I like that they concentrated on doing two things well, instead of 3-4 things mediocre, but that won't do you much good if you were looking for the things that are now left out.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 9th Feb 2018 at 9:08 PM
Thanks for the suggestions but after playing Sims 4 again I suddenly realized why I didn't like it in the first place. It was too bland and it lacks variety like Sims 2 and 3 so you just wind up doing the same things over and over again whilst on 2 and 3 the possibilities are almost endless,so I'll just stick with Sims 2 and 3 until EA/Maxis decides to make a better Sims game or to start by at least making Sims 4 a lot better then it currently is would to convince picky players like to me to buy more stuff.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 3:30 PM
I think it is!
wait for a sale, and don't spend your money on stuff packs (for now at least.) a lot of content was added in patches as well thankfully, so I don't think missing some expansion packs will give you a very empty game (like it was when it was first released).

I have to say that EA really learned from their past mistakes, in areas like performance, compatibility, CC, save corruptions... I will write a list:
1. The game is fast, because it isn't an open map anymore. You have a bit more loading screens (more than TS3 but less than TS2 and 1). I'm not a programmer but TS4 runs EXTREMELY fast on all computers I've tried it on.
Funny thing: I've played it for the longest time on my oldish laptop (bought in 2009). Image a laptop desktop with games like Civ3, GTA San Andreas, Morrowind, Cossacks Back to War etc... than you see this smooth Sims 4 icon that looks like it came from the future lol
Sims 3 with 5 expansion packs took 20 minutes to load I sh*t you not. Sims 4 on the other hand? I've enjoyed gaming sessions of up to 6 hours! (of course, my laptop was overheating noticeably.)

2. Save corruptions are nothing like in TS2. (I don't remember a lot from my years of playing sims 3 how it was there), I remember in TS2 I never could get past 3 generations, had to be careful with sim deaths/deleting sims... in the sims 4 you can delete, add, do anything, you won't get any crashes to desktop, glitchy relationships, endless error messages...
I feel so free deleting stuff without penalties.

3. Browsing CC is easy, you have tags to search for things you need (thus drastically lowering the loading of a whole category of items). Deleting CC is safe. Even deleting most mods won't affect your game (yet don't take my word on this, I'm not sure what is considered a tough "mod", but personally I've been deleting mods freely until now.)

4. For me personally, I've always preferred playing "in rotation" (like in the first two games); aging and story telling enabled for the correctly played household only. I was so overjoyed to see this come back in the options. Thanks to that I can still continue to play with a city, not a family per save!

5. Sims 4 Build mode is innovative, so flexible, you can do so many things!
Scholar
#20 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 4:23 PM
Save corruptions are still possible, such as power interruption during save etc, but it's never been safer, it keeps four backups of your older saves so you can rollback anytime, but there's no protection against a total HD failure, why it's a good to back it up to another media occasionally, your Saves folder should be more important than your Mods folder.

Mods can be replaced, but Saves can't...
Alchemist
#21 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 11:34 PM
What keeps me from The Sims 4 is the fact that it’s near impossible for your sim to end up poor and miserable. In The Sims 2 you can get robbed, fired etc and there is furniture for less wealthy. Same goes for The Sims 3 in kind of the same way, minus getting fired. I just hate playing a game where my sims will for sure live such a polished life