Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#51 Old 18th Jun 2010 at 8:09 AM Last edited by channTL : 19th Jun 2010 at 5:11 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by BaXiM
Just in case channTL is still watching this threat and maintaining this very usefull tool:
Really nice work and very helpful. In fact it's the best tool I could find for my needs.
It would be perfect, if one could just drag one (or even better a list of) stbl/cvs file and get a cvs/stbl file with the same name back.
Could this feature be implemented?

I'm still here, though I haven't played the game in several weeks and my copy of Ambitions is taking just as long to arrive, but whatever Neat idea, I'll take a look at it.

EDIT: Give this a try maybe? I wrote a commandline version of STBLizer called "csv2stbl" a while ago.

Basically you place any number of .csv files in a directory and put the csv2stbl.exe file one level above. Running "csv2stbl (directory name) from the command line will automatically compile all the .csv files found in that directory into a single STBL - renamed with a s3pe-compatible TGI filename (S3_*_*_*.stbl) to save time when importing the file to a package.

Feel free to try it. Just a warning that this utility's never been tested by anyone besides me, and it probably breaks a hundred commandments of command line programming. I have no professional training. :/ Has the same requirements as STBLizer.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  csv2stbl.zip (3.4 KB, 53 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 21st Jun 2010 at 3:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by channTL
I'm still here, though I haven't played the game in several weeks and my copy of Ambitions is taking just as long to arrive, but whatever Neat idea, I'll take a look at it.

EDIT: Give this a try maybe? I wrote a commandline version of STBLizer called "csv2stbl" a while ago.

Basically you place any number of .csv files in a directory and put the csv2stbl.exe file one level above. Running "csv2stbl (directory name) from the command line will automatically compile all the .csv files found in that directory into a single STBL - renamed with a s3pe-compatible TGI filename (S3_*_*_*.stbl) to save time when importing the file to a package.

Feel free to try it. Just a warning that this utility's never been tested by anyone besides me, and it probably breaks a hundred commandments of command line programming. I have no professional training. :/ Has the same requirements as STBLizer.
Sounds good. Thanks.
Test Subject
#53 Old 13th Jul 2010 at 11:43 PM
I know this thread is inactive, but I just can't figure this out. This is the first time I have attempted game modification of any sort, so I'm probably missing something.

I made three name lists (male/female first names and surnames) using your excel templates and used the STBLizer to convert it to a .stbl file. Then I used S3PE to package the file (latest attempt was type 0x220557DA, instance 0x005F6B8600244D0C). First I tried to put it in Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/Packages, and when that didn't work I moved it to Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/Packages. Each time I put the mod in the game, I moved a sim into a brand new Sunset Valley, deleted all the characters using the NRaas Super Computer, and used the NRaas Story Progression mod to rapidly move in 15 families. No matter what I did, the randomly generated sims were given names taken from the old list, rather than those on the new list. As said before, I tried moving the package. I tried renaming the instance by generating a new FNV hash using S3PE and modifying it to match your guidelines. I tried re-converting the .csv files into another .stbl, just in case the old one was corrupted. I even tried downloading your own names list, opening the package, and replacing your .stbl file with my own. I tried packaging my name list using the instance name from yours. None of these worked; the name list just won't show up.

What could I be missing? Is there anything else I should try before giving up?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#54 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 8:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by snowstormburning
I know this thread is inactive, but I just can't figure this out. This is the first time I have attempted game modification of any sort, so I'm probably missing something.

I made three name lists (male/female first names and surnames) using your excel templates and used the STBLizer to convert it to a .stbl file. Then I used S3PE to package the file (latest attempt was type 0x220557DA, instance 0x005F6B8600244D0C). First I tried to put it in Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/Packages, and when that didn't work I moved it to Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/Packages. Each time I put the mod in the game, I moved a sim into a brand new Sunset Valley, deleted all the characters using the NRaas Super Computer, and used the NRaas Story Progression mod to rapidly move in 15 families. No matter what I did, the randomly generated sims were given names taken from the old list, rather than those on the new list. As said before, I tried moving the package. I tried renaming the instance by generating a new FNV hash using S3PE and modifying it to match your guidelines. I tried re-converting the .csv files into another .stbl, just in case the old one was corrupted. I even tried downloading your own names list, opening the package, and replacing your .stbl file with my own. I tried packaging my name list using the instance name from yours. None of these worked; the name list just won't show up.

What could I be missing? Is there anything else I should try before giving up?

I wish I could help you more directly right now, but I'm waiting on my copy of Amibitions to arrive to patch my game update my stuff. But I can offer this advice. Since I wrote that information with only the base game in mind, it could be that the process has changed with newer EPs/patches and the text is now being loaded from elsewhere. Or alternatively, in a different order (the reason for tweaking the instance is so the name changes load on top of the game's text, not the other way around). You may have to look into the FullBuild files for new EPs and see if they have their own copies of the primary STBL. An alternative is altering your Resource.cfg, putting your mod in a folder with a higher Priority number so it loads "on top."

Other than that, an alternative method I often recommend is using Awesomemod's custom name loader. It is cleaner and more modular, but of course you need to be using AM. I don't know of any other loading methods.
Test Subject
#55 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 8:31 AM
I apologize for my n00bishness, but how do I go about editing the resource.cfg file?
Test Subject
#56 Old 22nd Sep 2010 at 1:55 AM
I only have around 300 names for each category, so how can I copy these ones? Sorry, I'm completely new into that Calc/Excel etc thing, never used that before. I know that I must use Calc for editing the files, but I don't know if can copy a whole Name like this 0x83EC511E01312518,"Waylon" or must I change this part 0x83EC511E01312518 ?!

I had a chance meeting once. <3
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 18th Jul 2012 at 4:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jeanne93
I only have around 300 names for each category, so how can I copy these ones? Sorry, I'm completely new into that Calc/Excel etc thing, never used that before. I know that I must use Calc for editing the files, but I don't know if can copy a whole Name like this 0x83EC511E01312518,"Waylon" or must I change this part 0x83EC511E01312518 ?!

I've got the same question - I have about 1000 of last names and want to just copy them, but... how?!
Test Subject
#58 Old 28th Dec 2013 at 2:21 PM
I cannot find the language codes in the CSV files, they all start with 0x.
And I cannot edit the STBL.
What then?
Page 3 of 3