Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#26 Old 29th Oct 2018 at 11:37 PM
This game is so badly coded I swear. There's no reason for an entire setting to just shift like that. Should I contact them directly?
Advertisement
Site Helper
#27 Old 30th Oct 2018 at 3:53 AM
I wouldn't count on them being any more helpful than we are, since they seem to have stopped supporting Sims 3 after the 1.69 patch. (I wouldn't even count on them not giving you advice that actually applies to Sims 4, because they thought that you obviously made a mistake when you told them you were still playing Sims 3...) Or they may just tell you to completely uninstall and then reinstall the entire game. Contacting them directly is probably a waste of time, but it's your time to waste.

You do have a work-around, although it's not terribly convenient. Make a folder somewhere easy to find. Inside the folder make two more folders named Aging On and Aging Off. Put a copy of the Options ini in each one, and make the appropriate changes. When you are playing a game where you want the aging, copy the one from the aging on folder and put it in your game. When you want Aging off, put a copy of the one from that folder into your game. Having them in folders means they can have the same name, and copying them over each time means you don't have to keep editing the files. It may not be convenient, but it's easier than a reinstall. Or you can see if the mod will help.

Files do get corrupted. If the problem is persisting in a completely vanilla game, it's starting to sound as though a game file may have gotten corrupted. But it also sounds like something that is easier to find a way to live with than reinstalling would be.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
#28 Old 30th Oct 2018 at 5:31 AM Last edited by igazor : 30th Oct 2018 at 6:07 PM.
I can predict how the conversation with EA tech support would go, we've seen this many times. After several conversations with different help desk operators by way of chat or phone callbacks, you will be told that your issue is very interesting, it's never been logged in as reported before, and the developers need to be informed so that a fix can be provided by way of a patch. You may or may not be told to post about it on the EA forums as well so the TS3 gurus can see it.

There are no TS3 developers or TS3 gurus (except one who occasionally swings by to help with installation issues) and haven't been since Patch 1.67 was released in Jan 2014, that's coming up on five years ago now. The subsequent Patch 1.69 thing had nothing to do with the game files, only the Origin tie-in and the Launcher. Players are told these things because they are being read to from a very old script or just so they can be told anything to get them off of the support queue.

EA still supports TS3 in the sense that they run and must maintain the servers that the game requires to process logins, authenticate purchases by way of Origin as it is still a currently being sold product, online features such as they are, and the TS3 Store and the Exchange. There is no one on staff even remotely equipped to fix gameplay coding issues.
Inventor
Original Poster
#29 Old 1st Nov 2018 at 4:03 PM
Frickin...Especially not the coders themselves, I would imagine.

What would have corrupted this file? And if editing the code in that one file didn't really do much and didn't give me options, wouldn't that degrade over time as well?
Mad Poster
#30 Old 1st Nov 2018 at 4:37 PM Last edited by igazor : 1st Nov 2018 at 5:01 PM.
I thought one of the things you already tried but on which you got the same results was a new game test on a freshly spawned, no-content, no mods TS3 user game folder. Such a freshly spawned game folder would have a new options.ini file, so it can't be the one options file that is corrupting unless you were moving the old one back in every time (probably not).

If this is the case, then there is something wrong with your installation. The remaining questions become rhetorical because none of us would have any idea what is causing this on a new game, no content, no mods game folder with nothing at all copied in from the prior ones. If so, the real question becomes to what extent can you live with the aging status being forever stuck glitch.
Inventor
Original Poster
#31 Old 5th Nov 2018 at 11:10 PM
So then why would the installation suddenly become "wrong"? Do I have to reinstall everything now?
Mad Poster
#32 Old 6th Nov 2018 at 1:13 AM Last edited by igazor : 6th Nov 2018 at 1:52 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by BlackjackGabbiani
So then why would the installation suddenly become "wrong"?

Sorry if this sounds overly grumpy, but in how many different ways can we answer, "We don't know"? If anyone else is holding back on the real answer, this would be a pretty good time for them to speak up.

Quote: Originally posted by BlackjackGabbiani
Do I have to reinstall everything now?

That may help. It may accomplish nothing. The question becomes, is it worth it to even try or can playing with the different Options.ini files switched around as needed but no ability to change aging status in-game on the fly be not yet annoying enough to take further action. That's a question only you as the player can answer.
Site Helper
#33 Old 7th Nov 2018 at 2:45 PM
A mild power surge can corrupt a file. A spot on the hard drive going bad can corrupt a file. An overzealous virus scanner can corrupt files. Lots of other things can corrupt a file. There is even a possibility that a recent update is not playing nicely with your game. But if it's like that in a completely vanilla game, then there is something going wrong within the game files.

Personally, I would wait on reinstalling until there is a problem that is definitely in the game files and which cannot be lived with using a workaround like a mod or swapping the Options.ini files. Reinstalling is a time-consuming pain. And if you discover that you've lost one of the codes after you've removed the game, you've got a real problem with installing it again.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Page 2 of 2