Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#76 Old 29th Sep 2015 at 8:29 PM
Ugh, yes, it's even worse if you have Adblock; they force you to wait much longer for a download. Plus, you can't download more than one thing at once or it won't download either thing.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#77 Old 29th Sep 2015 at 8:43 PM
On page 1 of the GOS thread, there was an entry by me, of all people. I stated exactly why I dislike TSR, and for what reasons. (FranH)

It might not be true today, but it still doesn't redeem them in my eyes. I stay away from them as far as possible.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Lab Assistant
#78 Old 29th Sep 2015 at 9:19 PM Last edited by Treine : 30th Sep 2015 at 8:28 PM.
Hate hate HATE TSR for Adblock punishing. Little lifehack: you don't have to see ugly red page which humiliates you for wish to surf clear web. Just open this tab in new window. Drag and drop onto the taskbar. Countdown is complete in the background.
Instructor
#80 Old 29th Sep 2015 at 9:51 PM
TSR used to be... Decent. I have no good word for it left now though. It literally screams malvertising. I think I've never seen a site that displays ads as much as they do. Good god. So many ads AND still begging for donations? Get a fucking grip. Just kill the website if you're that desperate and can't maintain it in the first place.

It doesn't help that a lot of these ads scream malware either, some of which even going as far as dropping payloads in a drive by attack, using Java or Flash. It's impossible to browse that website without Adblock and NoScript. It's a pile of junk.
TSR nowadays reminds me of sites like CNET and Softpedia in the sense that those sites basically "sell" freeware, and bundle it with a bunch of "Interesting offers" that will wreak havoc on your system. Crap, crap, crap. That's all I can say about it.

Want to download something? Please wait a whole SIXTY seconds before you can start downloading from our painfully slow download server. In the meantime, here are some ads for some shitty Flash games and Malware ridden software you will never ever need or want!

Seriously, if the TSR administrators read this: Please snap the website's neck. I feel sorry for every creator who submits their stuff there.

PS: STAY AWAY from third party software providers like CNET, Softpedia and its cousins. These websites are awful, offer outdated software, bundle the software they offer with a bunch of crapware, and a useful "Downloader" which is required to "Download the program you actually want.". ALWAYS, ALWAYS get stuff from the trusted source where it's made. Any good developer will never use these kind of websites. Kinda off topic, I know. But I just felt I had to say this, in order to warn stupid and illiterate people.

The Sims 4! Weirder Sims! Aren't they weird!? Look how weird they are! Bet you can't wait to see how weird their stories are!?
Mad Poster
#81 Old 29th Sep 2015 at 10:02 PM
For the ads (they're really awful!) there's one word: Adblock - and if you already have it but hate the longer downloading time, there's a way around:

Downloading - click the download button, then change this:
Code:
http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/download/itemId/1197194/format/zip/sess/1443460308

to this:
Code:
http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/thankyou/id/1197194/format/zip/sess/1443460308

The download should start right away.

For searching there (avoiding having to log in), use this link (works for sims 3 and 4 too, just change the 'sims 2' line)
Code:
http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/browse/category/sims2/search/SEARCHWORD/page/1/cnt/1832/

I don't download a lot there any longer, but there are some old TS2 sets I tend to misplace, and I sometimes find TS3/4 items I like, particularly textures. I try to avoid the place if I can.
Scholar
#82 Old 2nd Oct 2015 at 5:00 PM
I saw the trick above on tumblr, but it doesn't work for me. Then again, I can't get anything from TSR to download, with or without adblock. It just sits on the 'Thank you for downloading' page and spins. Anyone else?
Field Researcher
#83 Old 2nd Oct 2015 at 6:24 PM
I have Adblock Plus and the last time I downloaded something from TSR it made me wait 999 seconds. It was a few months ago, I think.
Lab Assistant
#84 Old 2nd Oct 2015 at 11:23 PM
I have a sub to TSR my ex got it for me last xmas and I LOVE IT!

But I do have something to ask. I heard a lot of the stories going around about TSR being hackers and stealing stuff and spreading viruses and all that shit was all lies made up by a mod or admin here on MTS because he's a "Cho".

at least that's what I'm hearing from friends on TSR and on FB. No idea what a "Cho" is supposed to be or what it has to do with anything but I am curious.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#85 Old 2nd Oct 2015 at 11:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emma2015
I have a sub to TSR my ex got it for me last xmas and I LOVE IT!

But I do have something to ask. I heard a lot of the stories going around about TSR being hackers and stealing stuff and spreading viruses and all that shit was all lies made up by a mod or admin here on MTS because he's a "Cho".

at least that's what I'm hearing from friends on TSR and on FB. No idea what a "Cho" is supposed to be or what it has to do with anything but I am curious.

I'm sure they tell it differently over there but it was not MTS and they weren't lies. There was a lot of evidence around and it still is in places. I suggest you go and have a look.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
#86 Old 3rd Oct 2015 at 12:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
I'm sure they tell it differently over there but it was not MTS and they weren't lies. There was a lot of evidence around and it still is in places. I suggest you go and have a look.

I think I shall.

and I think you and the rest shall get over your beef with me. you're just being childish now.
Mad Poster
#87 Old 3rd Oct 2015 at 2:51 AM
As for being childish, at the time they doxed so many people, (myself included) it wasn't funny. You see, when a total stranger has the details of your login, your password, your account information at any site, it's really pretty damned bad. It's being hacked for no reason at all.

That's why it was such a huge scandal. So many people were affected and it was so bad that even today the ramifications are being felt. You don't forget that kind of stuff.

Even the people at TSR don't like to talk about it because it brought a lot of unwanted attention to their lack of security. Of course it rattled them up badly-I mean, they were responsible for overseeing their site's privacy and it got thrown to the winds due to a couple of ill-advised people being jerks.

Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
Top Secret Researcher
#88 Old 3rd Oct 2015 at 3:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
Another site that irritates me for its slow response time is the Wikia Sims Wiki. I actually find that more annoying than TSR because I have to go there much more often. I've seen me wait ages and some pages never load at all there. It's the best source of information on The Sims you can get, but I find it a pain to always have to wait so long for it.

Unfortunately, Wikia pretty much owns the servers that The Sims Wiki on Wikia runs on, so we don't have any control over those ads.

Well, technically we do, but doing so would land us into trouble.

I don't encounter any ads since I'm logged in, and there's an option to disable ads on most pages when you're logged in. Annoyingly though, Wikia foisted their new trashy layout for mobile with inline ads and slow page loading times. I do wonder if Wikia is copying from TSR... and that is not a good thing.
Field Researcher
#89 Old 3rd Oct 2015 at 9:36 AM
I have Adblock and I have no problems with ads whatsoever :p
On my computer, that is. I rarely visit the Wikia on my phone.

❈ "Well, you know what they say: if you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, come sit by me!" ❈
– Clairee Belcher, "Steel Magnolias"
Mad Poster
#90 Old 3rd Oct 2015 at 10:05 AM
Speaking of ads, does anyone else have problems with them here on MTS? I disabled adblock because I wanted to let MTS have whatever revenue they can, but I had to turn it back on because the ads on download pages made my browser crash. Every single time. Most obnoxious. I'd like to not block them, but I really have no choice.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#91 Old 3rd Oct 2015 at 10:45 AM
and I think you and the rest shall get over your beef with me. you're just being childish now.

I have no idea why you think my post was childish I was simply being factual.
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
Speaking of ads, does anyone else have problems with them here on MTS? I disabled adblock because I wanted to let MTS have whatever revenue they can, but I had to turn it back on because the ads on download pages made my browser crash. Every single time. Most obnoxious. I'd like to not block them, but I really have no choice.

I also have adblock turned off here (for the same reason) but don't really have many problems. The only thing that does give me trouble is when ads use a version of Flash that I don't have (when I haven't updated). Then it can be incredibly frustrating.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#92 Old 3rd Oct 2015 at 11:01 AM
On MTS (I recently upgraded to Win 7) I can't have Adblock or run NoScript-because my version of Windows doesn't work on the site. I've complained before, only to be told it was my cookies settings. Funny part is, I didn't change them.

Have no idea what is going on, but I'd love to disable the ads in IE, which I'm forced to run because MTS doesn't recognize my newest browser.

Major Edit for stupid mode:
Now I did it: put my foot in my big fat mouth and chewed on it thoroughly.

You have to allow the whitelisting of MTS on NoScript for it to recognize the site and vice versa. Damn, and I thought I was being bright.

Never mind...

Lab Assistant
#93 Old 14th Oct 2015 at 10:37 AM
I know this is an old thread but I feel like I should write this out and save someone who might be tempted to download the Devil May Cry set for Sims 2 they have over there in TSR like I did.

One time I was looking for Dante's outfit from DmC and happened to stumble across the link from TSR. I clicked on it and saw a really nice quality outfit, just like the one Dante wore in DmC. Around this time I had never ever downloaded from TSR so I didn't know if I could trust it or not and I made the dumb decision of trusting it. I clicked on the link to download and all the sudden I was redirected but I thought it would've led me to the download page or something but instead it led me to a malware site with a bunch of pop-ups and immediately tried to download something other than what i requested onto my laptop. I immediately canceled the download and did a malware scan. Fortunately, it reported no signs of malware. Still, since then I've had Adblock and WOT add ons to help me safely browse without ever running into that situation again. You know what they say, first impressions always matter the most.
Instructor
#94 Old 14th Oct 2015 at 4:40 PM
I mean TSR has it's faults... mostly the site lags and ads everywhere,

And with less upload qualifications comes with more variety in the uploads for better and also for worst. That being said, people shouldn't criticize creators who they think have poor qualify uploads.. it is a matter of opinion and well, it's best not to comment on that..

I like TSR I find a lot of clothing and decorative items that I couldn't find elsewhere. They have some good stuff sometimes it's just if you're willing to wait. I'm a little iffy on the lots.. I've seen some families uploaded in sim lots on there! And I've downloaded some in the past without trashcans or mailbox on the lot... so yeah use with caution.

Peace, Harmony & Balance... Libra is Love..
Mad Poster
#95 Old 14th Oct 2015 at 5:24 PM
I think I shall.

Wait ... what? In my case, at least, if I hit a disagree, it means "I disagree with you". Period. Nothing against the poster personally (and people have hit the "disagree" with me as well), and I do try to explain in a post WHY I disagree.

Now if someone hits the "disagree" and proceeds to disparage the OP, the OP's family, the OP's pet, the OP's avatar or anything else having to do with the OP, I would not only consider that childish, but being a troll.

People have not had great experiences with TSR. Some may find it a great site, and I do admit I use it occasionally myself, but I keep on every adblocking device I can muster for it. I just don't trust it. Others' experiences may vary.

I smile ... kindly ... at the thought of accessing TSR on my phone. Shudder as well. That would be only for the brave and/or adventurous. If TSR drives me crazy with all the adblockers on my PC, I cringe at the thought of going there unprotected.

And MarcyRoars ... as one who got malware from CNET, I agree ... go to the source.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Lab Assistant
#96 Old 14th Oct 2015 at 6:30 PM
If I tried to access TSR on my phone the poor thing would explode. I can access MTS though.

I rarely look at TSR because I find it hard to use, and end up wading through piles of rubbish before I find something worthwhile. Plus, as stated above, the adverts are very intrusive without an adblocker, and with one the site runs really, really slowly. Also, last time I used it, it tried to redirect me somewhere, not sure where because Firefox caught and stopped it, but that did make me think it wasn't a place I want to go back to.

You lied to me…There is a Swansea!
Forum Resident
#97 Old 14th Oct 2015 at 7:25 PM
Same thing happened to me. I was on there and Malwarebytes blocked several things so I quickly left. These days, if I search for something and TSR comes up, I look at the result in Images instead of going to the site, see if I like it, and then go see if the Booty has it for download.
Forum Resident
#98 Old 23rd Oct 2015 at 7:43 AM
I first was introduced to TSR when I thought TS3 was the best thing ever to touch the earth and I was just starting to peek interest into TS2. I used it once in a while, but the ads annoyed me and it was hard to navigate their site. I downloaded a few things from them... overtime the amount slowed and eventually came to a halt. The wait signs began to appear. I started to play TS2 which then caused me to check out TSR again, because at that point in time, I knew of very little The Sims 2 sites. Even back then I hated shiny hair but I didn't know of Maxis-Match at the time so I ended up going all 'photoskinned'. A thread back then on MTS, when I started to use MTS for TS2 and not just TS3, sparked my interest. It started talking about how evil TSR was and all the dirty things it did behind everyone's back (Like a certain annoying Secretary of State that has secret emails I know - haha - okay I'll stop with my political views.) and at that point, I stopped using TSR. The ads that I knew had malware in them scared me anyways.

I ramble a lot, and get confused easily, so my apologies to you in advance.
Scholar
#99 Old 27th Oct 2015 at 10:28 PM
The only time I'll download off ₸$Rs is when I'm desperate for an item I can't find anywhere else (even on The Booty) but there. Luckily that is never too often, but I still have to don the HAZMAT suit and get out the hand sanitiser afterwards.

Most of the items I see there whenever I do have to enter the place are, imo:
-Glitchy
-Ripped from another site
-Out of place (nobody wants a hood map with your name spelt in roads, thanks, but if it's just for the picture, fair enough)
-Heavily edited with editors like Photoshop for the downloads, but in game they are solid colour pieces of litter
-Just plain pathetic.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Page 4 of 4