Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#26 Old 27th Jul 2015 at 2:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PlatinumPlumbbob
This may be an area where the description is better than the actual terminology used. Next time, I am just going to make a brief description of my terminology in parentheses, because I do not really use the downloadable empty or clean templates. The commonly accepted definitions just don't fit what I have. Instead, I just cut out the EA neighborhoodtemplates and paste them in a separate location. In the neighborhoodtemplates folder, nothing is in there. And thus there is nothing to copy. There are no templates to start with. Nothing, I don't see how that is a clean template or a blank template, because a clean template implies that the Sims and houses are present, but the neighborhood has been fixed and that there are no extra townies or NPCs; a blank template implies having the stealth lots but no NPCs. Clearly, I have neither empty or clean templates in my game.

I actually prefer esme's use of "blank templates". The terminology separates itself from empty and clean templates. But really, I don't see how nothing is a template. Hence we are going in circles again.

@PlatinumPlumbbob] So you take out the entire contents of the neighborhood folder ? or you remove the single neighborhood package file in the neighborhood template folder ? what about the contents of the other folders like characters and so forth ? I always thought by doing either of those I would crash the game or stop it from even loading.. it never occurred to me to do that .. I guess I thought it was like deleting the characters it would corrupt the neighborhood.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#28 Old 27th Jul 2015 at 3:06 AM
I take out the entire neighborhoodtemplate. F001 is FreeTime stealth neighborhood. I take out the whole F001.

If you take out one character package file, then folder will still be copied and corrupted because the neighborhood recognizes an incomplete neighborhood with missing data.

Yes I knew that if you took out say just one character file it would be corrupt but I never knew you could remove the entire folder safely. The only way I knew was the way in the harvested template tutorial over at GOS. Very interesting.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#29 Old 27th Jul 2015 at 10:33 AM Last edited by maxon : 27th Jul 2015 at 2:38 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by esmeiolanthe
Well, I can call them "purple templates" if I want to, but for the purposes of clear communication within a community where this topic comes up a lot, we NEED have a common definition that we can all agree on to that we all know what we're talking about. Right now, your "empty templates" are my "blank templates" are Platinum Plumbbob's "no templates," and you've already stated you're confused by and quibbled with everyone's definitions except your own.

We don't need it - sorry I have a problem with people inventing rules. I think PP is right, it would be helpful if people were clearer, perhaps including a brief description. I usually include qualifiers but I don't always remember. One thing that irritates me is people talk about templates and then you find out they're talking about versions of the EAxis neighbourhoods. These are not the same thing as empty templates as I understand them because I was part of the the community who originally discussed this matter (and, as I explained upthread, most of us were not interested in EAxis hoods at that time). I'm still not, so discussions about that are uninteresting to me and filled with useless information. It seems when Tarlia went off and made her cleaned up versions of the EAxis hoods (a perfectly reasonable thing to do and useful for people who are interested in that) a lot of people got interested but assumed this was a new thing and ideas about clean and empty templates related to EAxis hoods - it wasn't like that though, at least for someone with my sort of background.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Field Researcher
#30 Old 27th Jul 2015 at 1:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CoffeenSimming
What I am trying to find out is what is the best way to set up a clean environment for a sharable neighborhood and if and what are the benefits and setbacks for the people that will be downloading it.. In other words if I disable all the stealth hoods and use clean templates or empty in all of mine, how does the affect the downloaders gameplay ? So far I get that the downloader will have the opportunity to add all the stealth hoods when they install their neighborhood for the first time using whatever their own set up in their own game is this correct ? So I can and should disable all the stealth hoods for a clean environment for sharing and it will cause no ill affects or disadvantages to the downloader correct ? (they will still be able to use the secret lots, create garden club, and tourists with no issues) So it would look like this below? If what I have below is wrong please chime in ?

Base Game: N001 Rename N001 Bkp to stop the maxis sims from creating
Pets: P001 Disable With neighborhood_stealth
Seasons: G002 Disable With neighborhood_stealth
V001-Disable V001 Disable With neighborhood_stealth only
FreeTime: F002 Disable With neighborhood_stealth
Apartment Life: E002 Disable With neighborhood_stealth

I've been using the same advice from Mootilda to disable my stealth subhoods for years, and have played with it quite a bit. Sometimes I want a specific stealth hood's families in one neighbourhood and one only, so I sometimes rename them in and out of use.

The game seems to check for subhoods it hasn't already pulled in when you load a neighbourhood, so if they're not there in your game and are in the game of the person who downloads your shared neighbourhood, they'll get the stealth hood contents from their game files if they have their game set up that way, and won't if they don't. Most importantly, they won't inherit unwanted copies from your game.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#31 Old 27th Jul 2015 at 3:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
We don't need it - sorry I have a problem with people inventing rules. I think PP is right, it would be helpful if people were clearer, perhaps including a brief description. I usually include qualifiers but I don't always remember. One thing that irritates me is people talk about templates and then you find out they're talking about versions of the EAxis neighbourhoods. These are not the same thing as empty templates as I understand them because I was part of the the community who originally discussed this matter (and, as I explained upthread, most of us were not interested in EAxis hoods at that time). I'm still not, so discussions about that are uninteresting to me and filled with useless information. It seems when Tarlia went off and made her cleaned up versions of the EAxis hoods (a perfectly reasonable thing to do and useful for people who are interested in that) a lot of people got interested but assumed this was a new thing and ideas about clean and empty templates related to EAxis hoods - it wasn't like that though, at least for someone with my sort of background.

Whether it be right or wrong I have always understood empty templates to be no npcs, no sims, and no lots.. =empty folders which =empty templates. which is why I was so confused when it came to the Magic and Hobby lots I thought with EMPTY templates they would not work, but I understand now by using Jawusa's that they can work and have no sims.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#33 Old 27th Jul 2015 at 3:37 PM
I have no neighborhoodtemplates in my stealth neighborhood folders. They've been moved to a separate location on my hard drive. I prefer this method over the use of clean or empty templates because I may want the EA Townies and NPCs and binned families at a later time, but not right now.

I have the original EA templates in a separate folder, and I also have Jawusa's empty templates because they generate the lots but not the Sims that come with the stealth hoods. Using the original EA templates will generate the lots, the NPCs, and the binned Sims like Julien Cooke. I miss that guy so I have him in Veronaville along with the Hobby lots.

This sounds like a great idea, but by moving the original templates to the other location and not using clean ones, aren't you keeping the Maxis corruption and then when you use them later you would be playing with Maxis corruption ?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#35 Old 27th Jul 2015 at 6:02 PM
If I were to put in the EA neighborhoodtemplates back, and the EA templates are corrupted, then I suppose you're right. But unlike some people, I am willing to take the risk. Besides, the EA templates contain the stealth binned families, which is likely the only benefit by using EA templates.

Now, if I were using Jawusa's templates, then I'd get the lots, not the Sims. I presume the primary reason for corruption is having incomplete files or missing Sim data.

Yes that is how I understand what the corruption is as well, and I thought that was the point of the clean templates that were made by Tarlia.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#36 Old 27th Jul 2015 at 7:00 PM
I think the point of the clean templates by Tarlia was to clean up the EAxis sims and neighbourhoods so they didn't come with built in corruption. Oh wait, is that what you're saying. Sorry - not paying attention again.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Mad Poster
#37 Old 27th Jul 2015 at 7:03 PM
I'm not sure why there's so much confusion. If I say "this house is empty" you know it's got no one in it. If I say "this house is clean," you know that it is not burdened with more than the normal ambient level of dirt.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#38 Old 27th Jul 2015 at 8:43 PM
Except you could be talking about folders Peni - empty folders or folders with cleaned up lots in them?

Page 2 of 2