Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jun 2011 at 4:38 PM
Default Turning off memories and sharing?
I don't care about them, honestly. Is there any way to turn them off or will I have to wait for a mod?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 4th Jun 2011 at 4:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jennaberry
I don't care about them, honestly. Is there any way to turn them off or will I have to wait for a mod?

Yeah...I would like to know about this as well...it gives me a headache for learning a skill that I get about 200 messages asking me to share...or it seems that I get over 500 messages when one of my sims gets married...so annoying!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Jun 2011 at 5:06 PM
"Your sim just-" SHUT THE HELL UP I KNOW
Mad Poster
#4 Old 4th Jun 2011 at 5:25 PM
I've not tried it yet because I've only just gotten the game installed, but there's something in Options to turn off notifications for memories. Seems like that may do what you want?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Jun 2011 at 5:44 PM
oh my god thank you. i didn't even notice it even though I looked through the options menu a million times
Alchemist
#6 Old 4th Jun 2011 at 7:19 PM
I don't have generations yet, but with the update you get the momories, too. They're annoying as fvck, with every single small happenening you get the message: ''Your sim just...''

Your sim just made pancakes, keep as memory?

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#7 Old 4th Jun 2011 at 8:36 PM
you can turn it off in options. the bummer is it won't just turn off the annoying sharing messages, but any other memory message.
Scholar
#8 Old 4th Jun 2011 at 9:41 PM
mine has shut down completely.....but.....you still here alittle chime when an important "thing" happens....and if you look in your memories you'll find
new ones....
Theorist
#9 Old 5th Jun 2011 at 12:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jennaberry

Turn them off in Options.. one of those tabs, I forget which but you can turn it off. You don't have to turn them on again if you want to share a specific memory. Use the Capture this Moment button and you can share that one memory without turning it on.
Test Subject
#10 Old 5th Jun 2011 at 1:03 AM
I found this to be annoying too, I shut off the notifications in options, and was still annoyed by the stupid book.
There is actually a good use for the memories book, you can see what your non-active Sims have been up to while you where working on a task for your active Sim.
There have been times when I think all the Sims are home, and one comes strolling in from who knows where.
Now with the memories book, I can see what the culprit was up to.
Scholar
#11 Old 5th Jun 2011 at 5:37 PM
Just hope a modder make a mod to turn off memories completely...

Hey there! :)
Theorist
#12 Old 5th Jun 2011 at 6:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by haricots
Just hope a modder make a mod to turn off memories completely...

I thought everyone wanted memories back?!?!?! LOL Doesn't turning it off in Options turn it off completely? I have mine on to get the freebies so I haven't turned it off yet.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 5th Jun 2011 at 6:28 PM
I really want the stupid little memory sound to stop. Even though I turned off the notifications, you still have the dumb little "ding" noise every two seconds. Urgh.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 5th Jun 2011 at 11:28 PM
...or at least make it reminiscent of the Story Progression mod. When I don't want to know every single thing about every single Sim in my 'hoods, I set the stories to "friends" so I can keep tabs on those that matter. It'll be nice to have a mod that can control the memory system like that: only record memories that matter (death, kids, relationships, rare achievements); not every time Simmy Sue takes a shit, pukes or visit the neighborhood park.

GAH! EA is always so half-ass. It's like having Kool-Aid with no sugar, peanut butter & jelly with no bread, cereal with no milk, hamburgers with no buns.
Eminence Grise
#15 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 12:58 AM
I have notifications turned off too, and the system definitely needs some tuning in terms of what gets remembered. But I like having them in the game And I was pleasantly surprised to find out that non-active sims get memories too... even service sims. I get a kick out of it when I see a bartender get a memory from serving a drink to my celeb sim, for instance Or the butler get a memory from picking up the baby for the first time.

And saving custom memories can be fun too... yesterday for instance managed to grab this lovely moment, sim falling out of elevator on the way to his bachelor party:

Mad Poster
#16 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 6:28 AM
I agree, the memories need to be tuned. Wish I knew how. Don't need all the simple stuff like walking into the library or going to the store, think that may be a problem down the line, like when the world is several weeks old and what happens to all the inactive's memories? Do they pile up, or do they get a cleaning?

I make custom ones too. Pick and choose which happening are important in my sim's life. For the sounds, I turn down the game sound effects down in the options tab for sound.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Instructor
#17 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 6:37 AM
I find the memories a bit too much like advertising for EA. (IE post that your sim fell off the trampoline on your facebook page etc.) I was hoping more game impact. I think the memories should have some impact on the sim's actual life- but so far I haven't seen anything other than it is something 'cool' for the player to review. I'm sort of meh on that feature, but apparently some love it.

I liked how in sims 2 sims would think of their memories (Such as failing to graduate college or whatnot) and cry.

It also isn't especially saavy. A sim can break up with a perosn, and then get together again, and the memory is like its the first time the sim has ever been a couple.
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 10:03 AM
Sit still, there will be a quick mod to come out pretty soon to disable this, or to filter it, I am sure.

The first time I saw it, I thought it was pretty neat. It reminded me of TS2 where sims actually kept memories of exactly what is happening around them. Such as Sim A saw sim B died. Even I used mod or editor to revise sim B, sim A always remembers sim B as a dead person until I went in sim A's memory to edit out that portion of his memory. Now I am not sure if TS3 is going this route. But these "memories" are simply features begging you to share stuff on social network (the Sims 3 page to be exact). Or can we share with Facebook now too? I click off Memories too quickly to even bother to see what sharing option it gives.

Yes, sim had a promotion, care to share this memory? NO, sim .... literately made pancakes, care to share? I am not joking either, I DID get that pop up asking me to share memories of making pancakes. And for a person who doesn't even like pancake to begin with, this is completely annoying. And yes Memory pops up every other interaction until there are like 20+ notes, spamming up the notifications area causing me to miss the important notes.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 10:30 AM
I turned off the notification after two seconds gameplay, but what bugs me the most is the stupid, utterly annoying smiley face symbol above their heads, which doesn't go away even though I always play with "hideheadlineeffects on"

"Gag me with a reticulated spline!! You're not my cup of tea!" - The Nightlife Prima Guide
Field Researcher
#20 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 10:51 AM
I get bothered by the huge "share memories" button on the memory notification panel. that needs to be removed.
Scholar
#21 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 11:57 AM
Typical EA giving us what we want but messing it up so it seems like punishment. Memories are kind of annoying right now, how many times does my Sim need to record a memory for "Woohooed with Celebrity Edward Sedgewick" the guy she is married to ? Really certain memories like using the toilet on your own for the first time, or woohooing your spouse, you only need one memory. I've turned off notifications and it still annoys me
Instructor
#22 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 4:49 PM
So I have a tengential question: if we already have a ton of pictures taken from the game for memories before Generations, I'm assuming there's no way to add them to the in-game scrapbook?

"Books don't take time away from us ... They give it back. In this age of abstraction, of multitasking, of speed for speed's sake, they reintroduce us to the elegance - and the relief! - of real tick-tock time." - Home Safe, Elizabeth Berg
Mad Poster
#23 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 4:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ranissa
So I have a tengential question: if we already have a ton of pictures taken from the game for memories before Generations, I'm assuming there's no way to add them to the in-game scrapbook?

Probably not the ones saved in the memory book, but if you shared them to your Sims 3 studio, you can click on the picture and a larger view comes up. Right click and save to your computer. I've done that several times.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Instructor
#24 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 7:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
Probably not the ones saved in the memory book, but if you shared them to your Sims 3 studio, you can click on the picture and a larger view comes up. Right click and save to your computer. I've done that several times.

I asked it backwards. Hee. I have photos from in-game on my computer (taken before Generations was released). Can I put those into the in-game scrapbook? Again, I'm not holding my breath, just wondering. Thanks!

"Books don't take time away from us ... They give it back. In this age of abstraction, of multitasking, of speed for speed's sake, they reintroduce us to the elegance - and the relief! - of real tick-tock time." - Home Safe, Elizabeth Berg
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 8:29 PM
I also found out that we can, and we should, open the scrapbooks and delete unwanted memories, like "Late for work", "went to a hot spot", "went to a bar" .... All my sims have about 2 pages of these useless things. This is the major reason why my save time doubled. It was already 8-10 minutes save on average before this EP, now with added memories (and especially screenshots), it goes from 10-20 minutes on average to save.

Don't try to tell me I am wrong. But I often watch Netflix on 2nd screen (I got 2 monitors) while I play TS3. I started saving and started a new anime episode. The 20 minute long episode was done with credit rolling, I checked back to TS3, and it still has the hourglass. Imagine that! I usually click Save and go on to do something. But seriously at the present time, I could finish 1 chore and the game is not done saving. I would have to do 2 chores now. And I only have about 400Mb of .package files combined.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Page 1 of 3