Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#26 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 8:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil
It's kind of jarring when a sim bends over or moves and the hair remains stiff.

Between that and the textures just looking really wonky in-game (at least they do for me) I don't have nearly as many custom female hairs in my game as I do in TS2 and TS4.

Quote: Originally posted by CooCooCoo
Newsea har looks good on their site but when I donwload it, it looks nothing like that. The textures are ugly and the meshes are too big for my sim's head. I always feel like i'm doing it wrong lol

edit:

Skysims expectation:

Reality

See. I could still work with that, though. Not like the plastic abominations I've had the misfortune of coming across. And, if I'm not mistaken, the worst ones are usually from Peggyzone.

The Receptacle still lives!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 10:02 PM
I decided to try some of skysims' hair in my game a couple months ago because I'd always thought some of them looked so good in the pictures. other than the fact that I never thought they looked good with dark hair, which my sims usually end up having, the thing that really bugged me was those over the shoulder hairs. when I'd turn my sim sideways in CAS to see how the hair looked from all angles I'd notice that the hair was floating away from my sim's chest. it bugged the crap out of me and basically made those hairs unusable for my sims. the ones that didn't have that unnatural floaty hair thing going on still had the issue where I didn't like how they looked with dark hair. it made them look plastic-y imo.

with newsea, I just plain don't like a lot of their meshes. don't like the textures either. I certainly never felt any of them were worth paying for.

I like a lot of nightcrawler's hairs. Alesso has some nice ones as well. and Cazy. that pretty much makes up the custom hair I use in my game. oh and a few of anubis's.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 17th Jul 2015 at 6:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MysticCandy
I like a lot of nightcrawler's hairs. Alesso has some nice ones as well. and Cazy. that pretty much makes up the custom hair I use in my game. oh and a few of anubis's.

This is tempting but, where would I be able to get hairs from these creator, else than at TSR..which has become such a pain to download anything ?

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#29 Old 17th Jul 2015 at 8:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
This is tempting but, where would I be able to get hairs from these creator, else than at TSR..which has become such a pain to download anything ?

Sadly, TSR. Which I despise now. JUST GIVE MY MY DAMN DOWNLOAD I DONT WANT TO WAIT 30 SECONDS.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 17th Jul 2015 at 9:20 PM

if you feel like muddling through TSR then I'd say it's worth it. personally what I do is leave adblock on while I'm browsing since all the ads a) slow my laptop down and b) are distracting to the point where trying to browse the site around all of them is really overwhelming, then I turn it off when I'm actually downloading things.

anubis's hairs are over on their blog. and I think someone on the first page actually mentioned that nightcrawler has a tumblr where you can get their hairs?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#31 Old 18th Jul 2015 at 12:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MysticCandy
if you feel like muddling through TSR then I'd say it's worth it. personally what I do is leave adblock on while I'm browsing since all the ads a) slow my laptop down and b) are distracting to the point where trying to browse the site around all of them is really overwhelming, then I turn it off when I'm actually downloading things.

anubis's hairs are over on their blog. and I think someone on the first page actually mentioned that nightcrawler has a tumblr where you can get their hairs?

Alesso & Nightcrawler are the only 2 texturers (hair wise) worth it on TSR, especially fi you hate sims3paks like me.
Field Researcher
#32 Old 18th Jul 2015 at 6:10 AM
I like Skysims updos, but when the hair is down, it look horrible

My life needs editing
My tumblr
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#33 Old 18th Jul 2015 at 4:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by egm2000
I like Skysims updos, but when the hair is down, it look horrible

Yeah.. her updos are pretty good, except a couple where they look like plastic >,<
Mad Poster
#34 Old 18th Jul 2015 at 5:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by neontardis
Sadly, TSR. Which I despise now. JUST GIVE MY MY DAMN DOWNLOAD I DONT WANT TO WAIT 30 SECONDS.

30 seconds? lucky..it is 60 for me. And I must stay on the page, otherwise the timer stops. No reading MTS forums while I wait, no.

Field Researcher
#35 Old 18th Jul 2015 at 6:49 PM

You could also try to find retextures on google and here . There's many nice retextures of these creators' hairs out there
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 18th Jul 2015 at 7:14 PM
30 seconds? lucky..it is 60 for me. And I must stay on the page, otherwise the timer stops. No reading MTS forums while I wait, no.

that's why I turn adblock off when I actually download things from there. then it's only 10 seconds and as far as I can tell you can switch to another tab or window without the timer stopping.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#37 Old 18th Jul 2015 at 9:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil
Ah, I assumed it was along the lines of "they don't make hairs so they shouldn't criticize". Sorry 'bout that, my bad.
As far as I have seen - no, they don't actually make the hairs.

Anubis does, for sure, though his dresses are better.
Scholar
#38 Old 18th Jul 2015 at 9:45 PM

simple open download's page in another window (not tab) and do something else (search another piece of something?) during counter's counting.

Theirs ads often slows my laptop too much so I never disable AdBlock nor Ghostery.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Test Subject
#39 Old 21st Jul 2015 at 7:51 PM
I am redoing all of my hairs right now and had been using some of the hairs mentioned in this thread. Their are not many choices when it comes to child and toddler hairs. I am not a fan of the standard in game hairs and have disabled them from being used in my game.

I have had the same problem of downloading hairs that looked great only to have them fizzle once loaded. I may be wrong but the creators may be using the HQ mod in their games to take pictures. This might explain why what you see is not what you end up with in your game. The other explanation is the creators might use very high end top of the line latest video card out that would take better pictures than a person like myself using an old GTX295 card.

I have changed over to using Cazy. Most of these hairs take custom colors very well especially the newer ones. On longer length hairs their is less chest gap open space and the hairs seem to be better head sized. CAS appears to be loading faster with the new replacements and took someone advise and download some NightCrawler for Teen to Elder and could not be more pleased.

As for TSR, try no AD blocking software, getting all ADs and being stuck with a message about turning your AD blocker off and still having to wait 60 seconds.
Mad Poster
#40 Old 22nd Jul 2015 at 3:33 AM
I just wish NightCrawler would do children & toddler hair as well...I mean, to match the teen-elder hair.
I will try to convert one to child anyways, because it is so awesome.

Mad Poster
#41 Old 23rd Jul 2015 at 1:29 PM
I agree, the boning on these hairs is terrible.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 23rd Jul 2015 at 1:53 PM
Not really surprised that some people skimp on the boning for elaborate hairs. It's the most boring and tedious process of meshing if you do it by hand. It made me scream in frustration because I have spent 2 weeks just working on boning. But because I'm such a perfectionist (I hate when the hair turns jaggy when they turn their head) I constantly put myself through this torture.
Page 2 of 2