Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st May 2016 at 10:42 AM
Default First time lot creator looking for feedback!
Hi everyone. I've made lots before but never with the intention of actually sharing them, and most of the process goes into making it look pretty, as opposed to actually building a nice home. So I wanted to share some w-i-p photos of the current lot I'm working on that I plan to upload here. At the moment, the lot is of course very barebones- just the basement, foundations, stairs and walls are in place at the moment, but I'd just like to share it and see whether you guys would like to give me some constructive criticism, advice or anything like that.

It doesn't really have a name yet, but I called it Grammar House for the sake of starting up. As you can see, it has two floors, and a basement, for perhaps a study or a bedroom. A front entrance deck and a 'garden/dining' deck. A large living/sitting room with an off-room kitchen at the front of the house. Upstairs we have a bathroom, a little hallway and a bedroom. Off the bedroom there is an open-air space for reading, relaxing, or anything else. Of course, you can choose whatever space you want to be anything you want it to be, but that's how I picture it, haha. So far, it seems a little small for a family of any more than two Sims, so maybe I'll add a third floor for a second, smaller bedroom, perfect for younger Sims? Who knows~?

Thanks for taking the time to look at my photos!
(Oh, and if you also have any feedback on my photo taking skills (^^;;;, please also let me know!
Screenshots

H. R. H Mercy.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 31st May 2016 at 1:32 PM
It's hard to tell at the moment hrhmercy, what size lot is it on? You need to get much closer with your shots, see all that grass in your overhead, zoom in until it's nearly gone. Toss down some furniture would help us know the room sizes but right now I am thinking that are too large. To give you an idea of good room size a master bedroom should have room for a double bed and side tables then any other planned pieces such as a dresser. Only a luxurious type house would also include say a vanity table, chair and bookcase in the bedroom. In a small suburban house you can get away with 4 by 4 tiles then add onto that as the design allows. I think I could see two double bedrooms with en-suits fitting upstairs. So decide if it's to be a small suburban house for two sims or something more luxurious. A 2 by 2 lot is ample for a couple of sims.

For your uploading photos you will want to use FRAPS or some other screenshot program. I use FRAPS, others prefer Gadwin. Take a look at the uploaded houses on this site to get an idea of photos. A red pause line mod willt ake away the red line and before you snap use the swatch tool or 3 dots to take away the grid lines.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st May 2016 at 2:14 PM
Thank you! It's a 4x5 I believe. I can't currently download FRAPS but I but will keep it in mind, as I've used it before. As I was building, I thought to myself that it's not going to be a simple 'burb house, it is a rather luxurious lot for a more established family of Sims. I've 'finished' the lot, as in I've managed to make it resemble a house that can actually be lived in, and not forgotten a door or anything.

Unfortunately, I haven't taken any new photos yet, but as of right now it contains the following: a sitting room with a fireplace and two staircases (one up and one down) and a double set of doors leading out to the patio. The kitchen has a U-bend of counters and two island counters between them, and enough space for at least four Sims to eat simultaneously, with enough space for pet bowls, baby chairs, and maybe a bar, if the island counters are removed. On the first (or second, depending on where in the world you live), is the first bedroom, a 'master' bedroom with space for shelves, a vanity table, and so on. It also has two bedside tables and a large armoire. There is an 'on-suite' bathroom, fully equipped. The hallway between these could host a chair, an easel, etc. Upstairs again is a smaller bathroom and bedroom, the bedroom being big enough to a double bed and a chest of drawers and two bedside tables, or alternatively several cribs and children's beds and toys. Down in the basement, there is space for a computer desk, and suitable office amenities, with the option to be converted into a bedroom and/or a gym, too. The lot also features a garage and extension, with space for a potential worktable. The front deck features a bench, and space for potted plants and decorations, and the main patio has enough space for a barbecue and party area, where you can host at least six Sims. The rest of the lot can be used for gardening, a playground or a swimming pool.

SORRY. My inner realtor came out. But yeah, it is a little big. I'm going to playtest with a family of three Sims and see how they occupy that space, and whether you could successfully raise a family there without having to continually renovate (which is an issue I have constantly...probably why this one is a little on the large size...). Currently, it has all basic facilities, like toilets, beds, phones, etc etc, and it's currently at around 72k. I winced when I saw that price haha. But as I said, it would be me more something I would place my richer, more ambitious Sims in.

When I playtest it, I will upload more photos (taken more professionally this time!) and hopefully it'll be easier to evaluate.

H. R. H Mercy.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 31st May 2016 at 2:46 PM
Well we need to see this furnished version that you are talking about, just telling us doesn't really help. A house on a 4 by 5 should be a mansion or a large farm house with gardens and be big enough for a large family.

Also make sure to play test with a copy not the lot you plan on uploading.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~