Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#16501 Old 17th Aug 2019 at 1:13 PM
The last of the saplings is born! Gen 1.14 Welcome Ash!

The Mayflies Legacy- a Random Legacy Story
Advertisement
Scholar
#16502 Old 17th Aug 2019 at 2:54 PM
Lab Assistant
#16503 Old 18th Aug 2019 at 12:46 AM
6.19 I Hate The Word Hiatus

Jettstar MTS TS3 Random Legacy Challenge

The knowledge that there is a 'Highway To Hell',
while there is only a 'Stairway To Heaven',
speaks volumes to me about anticipated traffic...
It also tells me where the better party will be...
Test Subject
#16504 Old 18th Aug 2019 at 7:26 PM
Hello, it's me again.

Sorry for the lack of updates. I think my McKracken save is cursed.

The other day, I was able to spend two hours building a house on a new game for reasons I'm not ready to reveal yet >_>, and I had no problems at all. Ten minutes into my McKracken save, as I'm attempting to fix everything, the game just closed. No error sign or anything, just *poof*. Game shut itself down and I found myself cursing at the gods.

I honestly do not know what to do at this point. I've come so far and poured my heart and soul into the legacy, and it's all gone to hell in a handbasket.
Test Subject
#16505 Old 19th Aug 2019 at 2:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by peaceful_apocalypse
Hello, it's me again.

Sorry for the lack of updates. I think my McKracken save is cursed.

That seriously sucks, I'm sorry. :/ It sounds like the same problem I've been having, although for me it's more of a general game issue than something save file-specific. Still, I've noticed my game crashes to desktop more often if I have too much CC, or too many big mods, or sometimes even if I've got too many things going on in-game at once. It also seems to happen more frequently when I go to map view, so I'm always careful to let that load properly. Also, my game used to do it CONSTANTLY if I had programs other than sims (a music player, etc) running on my computer while I was playing, so I don't do that anymore. I also avoid tabbing out, as I've noticed that tends to trigger its desire to crash.

I don't know if any of this sounds familiar or helps at all, but... yeah, it sucks. I try to combat it by saving my game every sim-night, and do an additional save right after something major happens (a birthday, a wardrobe change that took me forever because my CAS loading times are the laggiest part of my game, etc). Things were getting pretty bad in my original Moon save, but like you said, it got a lot better after I started in a new save. If you haven't tried already, try saving your sims' individual files in CAS, then use those files to rebuild the family and start in a new save. They'll lose their skills and stuff, but at least that might shake any buggy-ness that could potentially follow them if you just save their family/lot to the bin.

Oh! Also, you may already be doing this, but it's recommended to only use MasterController to "cheat," and not any of the game's "vanilla" debug cheats. For example, use MasterController to enter CAS instead of right-clicking the sim and using the "Edit in Create A Sim" pie option. According to igazor from Nraas, the MC methods are safer and less likely to cause bugs, whereas the EA methods don't have the improved coding. I can't guarantee that it'll fix anything, but it does feel like my game has fewer bugs since I started only using MC (or other mods).
Lab Assistant
#16506 Old 19th Aug 2019 at 4:01 PM
I use this tool found here on MTS to start tracking down mysterious random CTD events.

http://modthesims.info/d/580022/sim...le-updated.html

Jettstar MTS TS3 Random Legacy Challenge

The knowledge that there is a 'Highway To Hell',
while there is only a 'Stairway To Heaven',
speaks volumes to me about anticipated traffic...
It also tells me where the better party will be...
Scholar
#16507 Old 19th Aug 2019 at 5:37 PM
My game was getting really laggy with stutters and stuff and I started wondering if it had to do with inactive sims inventories. So I did an inventory purge through MC and it is running like a new file!

City Hall - MC - Town - Objects Stats - Sim brings up a list of all the things in people's inventories and you can purge them.
City Hall > NRaas > Sim > Basic > Sell Item-- clears things in a slightly different way.

Scholar
#16508 Old 20th Aug 2019 at 2:47 PM
Gen 1.15 Time Passes

Test Subject
#16509 Old 22nd Aug 2019 at 4:10 PM Last edited by peaceful_apocalypse : 22nd Aug 2019 at 8:59 PM.
Alright, so I think I have identified where my game keeps on crashing.

1) Bridgeport. Bridgeport in my game is notoriously buggy, and will crash without any warning.

2) The number of ghosts that haunt the houses. Four generations worth of ghosts is... Ouch.

3) The amount of crap is both the personal and family inventories.

Because of all this, as much as it pains me to say, I'm going to have to cut Generation Five short and go straight to Christine in a brand new neighbourhood, by herself. I'll say she wanted a fresh start somewhere else, and Chloe agreed to stay to look after her ageing father.

It's the best thing I can do for this legacy, I'm afraid :<

On the plus side, Christine has the potential to be my favourite heiress yet, so I want to see what she gets up to.

EDIT: FINALLY I have managed to get a new chapter out. It has been ages!

Chapter 6.1 - A Depressing Salad
Test Subject
#16510 Old 23rd Aug 2019 at 12:55 PM
Hi! I have a questions about rolls. I'm sorry if it's been asked before. My next generation rolled Freelance Scientist and Idle Career. Does that mean that I can't do anything science stuff? Or what does it mean?
Scholar
#16511 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 1:21 AM
A bit upthread they say that in active careers it just means that you can't progress more than a level a week in the associated skill.

Scholar
#16512 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 1:52 PM
I have another update. 10.1
Test Subject
#16513 Old 28th Aug 2019 at 7:54 PM
Please accept this meagre offering: Chapter 6.2 - Shotgun Wedding
Test Subject
#16514 Old 30th Aug 2019 at 10:38 PM
If anyone is asking about the status of my legacy, let me tell you that I’m currently writing chapter 2. It’s not canceled my friends.
Test Subject
#16515 Old 31st Aug 2019 at 10:39 PM
Just a heads up: I'm still not dead! Overtime at work + new responsibilities = one very tired me :<

I'll try and have the next chapter out within a couple of days.
Scholar
#16516 Old 1st Sep 2019 at 3:55 PM
Test Subject
#16517 Old 1st Sep 2019 at 5:37 PM
Well, here it is. The very second chapter of my (as of now) Soul Eater-themed randomcy. Enjoy!

Chapter 1.02: Work, Cleanup and Babies
Scholar
#16518 Old 6th Sep 2019 at 7:32 PM
My game is doing its usual thing of dying a quarter of the way through the second generation. I'm trying to do what I can to save it, but the file is just borked. How do you guys do it? Is everyone just switching towns every generation or what? Does it count as a legacy if I save my household to the bin and those that are important to the plot and place them in a fresh copy of the town?

Test Subject
#16519 Old 6th Sep 2019 at 10:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tunafishfish
My game is doing its usual thing of dying a quarter of the way through the second generation. I'm trying to do what I can to save it, but the file is just borked. How do you guys do it? Is everyone just switching towns every generation or what? Does it count as a legacy if I save my household to the bin and those that are important to the plot and place them in a fresh copy of the town?

That's what I've had to do, several times. It still counts, don't worry
Scholar
Original Poster
#16520 Old 7th Sep 2019 at 2:02 PM
My game is doing its usual thing of dying a quarter of the way through the second generation. I'm trying to do what I can to save it, but the file is just borked. How do you guys do it? Is everyone just switching towns every generation or what?

I play with a slew of mods that clean up the game. Overwatch, MasterController, Story Progression, all that stuff. I find the game unplayable without them. I'm not sure what your specific issues are, but if you don't play a modded game, that is in and of itself an issue because the vanilla game is a mess. Your town will be full of invisible taxis that lag it out, among other things you would never have expected if you approached Sims 3 with the mindset that mods cause lag instead of fix lag.

Does it count as a legacy if I save my household to the bin and those that are important to the plot and place them in a fresh copy of the town?

Yes, it still counts.
Scholar
#16521 Old 8th Sep 2019 at 7:28 PM
I have Overwatch, MC, and SP from NRAAS and it still does this. It seems like it's running fine and then it just freezes: meaning that the game doesn't respond if I click on things or try to interact with it, but the snow is still falling and the ambient noise is still going. The only way to get out is to open task manager and tell it to end task. Now I just have the hellish task of re-establishing family ties. I don't care much about kissing cousins, but I need to make sure the game knows about grown siblings.

Scholar
#16522 Old 13th Sep 2019 at 6:56 PM
Scholar
#16523 Old 14th Sep 2019 at 10:11 PM
I have another update, sorry its so late, I moved into a new home and only just set up the computer, Chapter 10.4
Test Subject
#16524 Old 15th Sep 2019 at 11:54 PM
Hey, everyone...

Sorry for the lack of updates. It’s been a difficult time for me, as my uncle died and I lost my job. I want to get back into playing and blogging, but I need to sort my life out first.

Sorry :/

Love you all <3
Scholar
#16525 Old 16th Sep 2019 at 1:41 AM
Sending you some love, we'll be here when you're ready. My condolences on your loss.

Page 661 of 676