2 people viewing
Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
#15451 Old 26th Sep 2018 at 8:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
Why is it that if a PlantSim's overall needs get even a tiny bit into the red, they totally tank even though the individual needs are being filled? Rose was short of water and sunlight (she autonomously spent too much time on the piano while I was dealing with the rest of the household) and got a bit into the red. I sent her to take a shower, which should have lifted her overall mood into the green, but instead caused it to go down as fast as it should have gone up. I got her outside into the sun and her mood just kept going down, even though her love and water needs were met and her sunlight need was being met. I had to use the SimBlender to max her Aspiration (Max Motives didn't work for the sunlight), otherwise I think I would have lost her. I thought it was just a glitch, but it's since happened twice with Daisy.

Do PlantSims' always have to be happy for them to survive? Or is it a glitch?

Maybe I misunderstood you, but aren't their needs and aspirations separate just as with other sims. Aspirations are filled by fulfilling wants, right?
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15452 Old 26th Sep 2018 at 9:05 AM
I think she means needs not aspiration.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#15453 Old 26th Sep 2018 at 10:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Yes, killing them is safe. Just don't delete the tombstones.

Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
@Matryoshkah also make sure you have the two essential death mods. No Corrupt death and No Unlink on delete by Pescado.

Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
If you don't want to kill them, AND you don't have a downtown attached to the hood, you could just make them all downtownies, and then they wouldn't show up in the hood but they won't be deleted or dead. I imagine this will work with any family instance that you're not using but I only tested with downtown.

Thank you everyone!!
Scholar
#15454 Old 26th Sep 2018 at 6:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I think she means needs not aspiration.

No, I meant aspiration, and even explained why. Maxing needs doesn't help a PlantSim in this situation because it doesn't affect the sunlight requirement (and might not have resolved the issue even if it did, since they shouldn't have been in a low mood anyway with two needs fully met and the third half full and going up); I have to set their aspiration to platinum, and this automatically sets mood to platinum and stops the rapid drop into the red that was the subject of my question.

Using platinum aspiration to achieve platinum mood wouldn't help a Sim in genuine need distress (if a Sim is starving, she'll still starve; she'll just be totally happy while doing so), but it worked in this situation. This suggests that either there is a glitch (mood shouldn't be dropping, since needs are reasonably well met), or that PlantSims cannot recover from low mood caused by needs being temporarily low, even if needs are restored, unless Platinum mood is reached or forced. I would like to know which, because if it's a glitch I'll continue to cheat my way around it (or download a fix, if there is one), but if it's supposed to be that way then I don't want to keep cheating it.
Undead Molten Llama
#15455 Old 26th Sep 2018 at 7:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
Using platinum aspiration to achieve platinum mood wouldn't help a Sim in genuine need distress (if a Sim is starving, she'll still starve; she'll just be totally happy while doing so), but it worked in this situation. This suggests that either there is a glitch (mood shouldn't be dropping, since needs are reasonably well met), or that PlantSims cannot recover from low mood caused by needs being temporarily low, even if needs are restored, unless Platinum mood is reached or forced. I would like to know which, because if it's a glitch I'll continue to cheat my way around it (or download a fix, if there is one), but if it's supposed to be that way then I don't want to keep cheating it.

I know what you mean about this. If a Plantsim's needs get really low -- especially the sunlight need -- then their aspiration level tanks to all-red and stays there for a while. It DOES recover, but it's not an immediate thing like it is with other kinds of Sims. The aspiration level lags significantly behind the replenishment of the need. I'm not sure if this is a glitch or was intentional, but I "read" it as Plantsims just being slower to react to their environment than human Sims. I think of them like Ents in Lord of the Rings, where it takes them forever to greet each other and reach decisions. With Plantsims, it's more like it takes them longer to realize that their needs have been filled so they can be happy again.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Top Secret Researcher
#15456 Old 26th Sep 2018 at 8:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
I know what you mean about this. If a Plantsim's needs get really low -- especially the sunlight need -- then their aspiration level tanks to all-red and stays there for a while. It DOES recover, but it's not an immediate thing like it is with other kinds of Sims. The aspiration level lags significantly behind the replenishment of the need. I'm not sure if this is a glitch or was intentional, but I "read" it as Plantsims just being slower to react to their environment than human Sims. I think of them like Ents in Lord of the Rings, where it takes them forever to greet each other and reach decisions. With Plantsims, it's more like it takes them longer to realize that their needs have been filled so they can be happy again.

I bet they did that intentionally, plants can take a while to recover if they haven't gotten enough water/lighting etc.
Alchemist
#15457 Old 26th Sep 2018 at 8:33 PM
townie/stray/NPC naming; how exactly does the game decide the name of a particular one?
I know the names come from certain resources of the Live.package file.
Undead Molten Llama
#15458 Old 26th Sep 2018 at 9:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gcgb53191
I bet they did that intentionally, plants can take a while to recover if they haven't gotten enough water/lighting etc.

I'm inclined to think that it was intentional, too. I also tend to think that it's a nice touch, if it was intentional, because it's true that plants generally DO take longer to recover from deprivation than animals do. They're more vulnerable to their environment that way. But it's also possible that it's just a glitch, knowing EAxis.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Mad Poster
#15459 Old 26th Sep 2018 at 9:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
townie/stray/NPC naming; how exactly does the game decide the name of a particular one?
I know the names come from certain resources of the Live.package file.

It's randomized, although the game's RNG is rather glitchy (see firstborn syndrome) so it sometimes gets stuck on the same few names.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#15460 Old 26th Sep 2018 at 10:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
so it sometimes gets stuck on the same few names.

We're looking at you, Marylena Hamiltons and Ivy Copurs.
Mad Poster
#15461 Old 26th Sep 2018 at 10:35 PM
The thing about plantsim needs that gets me is that they literally cannot get through the night without artificial light without tanking their need.

My tomatoes are fine. My potatoes are fine. My roses are fine. My grass is fine. Every single blasted noxious weed on the place is fine (unfortunately). My trees, wild and cultivated, are fine.

My simulated plants are fine over the game's night, too.

So why do plantsims, who are supposed to be all naturey and stuff, need so much technology?

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15462 Old 26th Sep 2018 at 11:06 PM
Good point Sunbee. Plantsims are obviously special snowflakes.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#15463 Old 26th Sep 2018 at 11:35 PM
Hmm, for some reason I thought it was Plantsims' hidden needs that cause their mood to lag behind. Like, in the situation above, I would imagine that after sitting at the piano, comfort is really low, and didn't get improved by showering, so Rose's mood was still low.

From my time playing my bacc hood, I noticed that this seems to be the case with the fun motive, though I could be entirely wrong and it could be aspiration related. Anyway, my plantsims were busy working, slaving away for Herbert Goodie and I noticed that while they lack a fun motive, they definitely need to have fun once in a while.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#15464 Old 27th Sep 2018 at 12:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759

Pescado's word for that sort of thing was sadorandom. I always thought it was apt.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Scholar
#15465 Old 27th Sep 2018 at 7:02 AM
Any way to open multiple packages in SimPE at once without getting errors thrown?

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Mad Poster
#15466 Old 27th Sep 2018 at 9:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bubblebeam
Any way to open multiple packages in SimPE at once without getting errors thrown?

Slowly. Count to at least 5 before opening the next one so the first one has time to load.
Scholar
#15467 Old 27th Sep 2018 at 9:38 AM
Already do that, but it's a royal PITA.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Undead Molten Llama
#15468 Old 27th Sep 2018 at 2:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
So why do plantsims, who are supposed to be all naturey and stuff, need so much technology?

First:

Second: My little "headcanon" explanation is that they're only half-plant, a hybrid. So, their metabolism is confused by the magical merging of mammalian endothermy and the very different way that plants metabolize. So, they run faster than they ought to, thanks to being half-mammal. Thus, they require a lot more "input" than a "normal" plant does. And they also don't have the storage capacity that "real" mammals have, because, for one, it's impossible for them to get fat. Nor do they apparently store as well as plants do...however it is that plants store energy for future use; I ain't no botanist.

Third: Unrelated to what you said, but topically related...Why is the grow-light for Plantsims so damn expensive?? Seriously, 2000 simoleons? I'm tellin' ya, I grow marijuana indoors (It's legal here...but it wasn't always! ) during the time when it can't be grown outdoors, and one grow-light doesn't cost twice the amount of an economy car. I mean, I have the mod that turns the normal grow-light-looking ceiling lamp into a grow-light, and if that didn't exist I could easily change the price of the grow-light, so it's not a big deal or anything. I'd just like to know what the logic behind THAT decision was... Was it, "HAH! Sucks to be you! Pay through the nose for a stupid light OR SUFFER!!!!!" 'Cuz that's a sucky 'tude, man.

Mad Poster
#15469 Old 27th Sep 2018 at 5:01 PM
Actually plantsims have a pollution-based disorder. People who use too much insecticide turn into plantsims, which don't function well as plants or as humans (and suddenly don't need insecticide because they can spend all night talking the bug damage away if they have access to light). So of course rather than change insecticides, capitalist society seizes on the opportunity to make sufferers pay through the nose for the tech to make their lives bearable.

It's perfectly logical, from a corporate point of view.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
#15470 Old 27th Sep 2018 at 10:32 PM
Actually plantsims have a pollution-based disorder. People who use too much insecticide turn into plantsims, which don't function well as plants or as humans (and suddenly don't need insecticide because they can spend all night talking the bug damage away if they have access to light). So of course rather than change insecticides, capitalist society seizes on the opportunity to make sufferers pay through the nose for the tech to make their lives bearable.

Ugh! I don't even play with plantsims and now I'm gonna go in there and change the price on the grow light just to "stick it to the man."
Undead Molten Llama
#15471 Old 28th Sep 2018 at 11:22 AM

HAH! Well, I suppose with normal game mechanics that's true. In my game, no one ever becomes a Plantsim the "normal" way because pesticide is not allowed. (It's a personal RL beef that carries over into my game.) So, Sims become Plantsims via alien genetic experimentation or because they are born of a parent who's been genetically altered by aliens because my imagination says that those changes are germline changes. I suppose that could still be a market for corporations to exploit, though. Especially since in my hoods where alien abduction is allowed, Plantsimism is the most common outcome of alien abduction, after pregnancy. So maybe that fits, too.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#15472 Old 28th Sep 2018 at 9:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bubblebeam

Do you mean open up multiple copies of SimPE at the same time? *is confused*

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#15473 Old 28th Sep 2018 at 11:35 PM
I don't know if anyone's had this problem, but here goes:
I was using the "Flamingo of Dance" and the pixel went to be taught, and her body disappeared! Just her head was visible. Another pixel also had this happen.
What would cause this to happen? Switching to clothes that aren't in the set?

As soon as she got home, her body returned. Tried it at home as well, and the same thing happened.
Very weird.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15474 Old 29th Sep 2018 at 12:10 AM
Odd, I have used it once on a new dance lot and that did not happen. I do have some invisible clothes in my catalogue though -probably a default using a game mesh. If a sim decided to wear one of those they could turn into a floating head.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#15475 Old 29th Sep 2018 at 1:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad

They do recover? Phew! I agree it makes sense that plants would recover differently, which is why I wondered if maybe it wasn't a glitch when it kept happening. Next time, I think, I'll save as soon as the PlantSim is even slightly in the red, then see how it goes - I didn't do that before in case it was already too late and I needed to go back to the beginning of the rotation. I don't really want to cheat, but I do need to keep my PlantSim population going until I have enough of them to play the role I have mapped out for them in my 'hood.
Page 619 of 1346