Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 3:04 PM Last edited by DrChillgood : 6th Aug 2014 at 5:51 PM.
Default Idea: Dumbing down the Smartphones - Possible?
I, like many others, hate how Sims autonomously watch YouTube and surf the web on their free super smartphones - which are also incredibly fragile. I have a Sim who is not even Clumsy or Unlucky and she's stuck with a busted-up phone.

What I want is to remove all the smartphone functions from the default phone, leaving only voice and text.

Then, I want to replace the icon with that of a dumbphone like the Indestructible Nokia 3310. Even if the Sim drops it, even if the Sim throws it at the wall, it would not break. The Sim should also pull out something that looks like a Nokia and not a Samsung Galaxy S5 - which, not being a visual artist, I might need someone to do once I have the rest of the code.

Then, I would add a "smartphone" object that really is just a flag to re-enable the smartphone icon, with YouTube and the mobile web and all the other "yeah, we're EA! we're with the times! we're so hip and cool!" functions, but would add $50 to the household bills. I would also add a want to "Buy a Smartphone".

Then, the computer would be able to do all the Social Networking related things. You don't need a smartphone to use Facebook, Blogspot, and YouTube, a computer is even better. You'd think you'd be able to watch YouTube on a computer in the Sims, but you can't.

I'm also removing "Show Video" and other socials that imply use of a smartphone for those with dumbphones.

Actually, wait, it could be easier than it sounds. University Life is the offending expansion pack that upgrades everyone to smartphones. I'd just default everyone to the pre-UL phone and make the smartphone a buyable flag.

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 11:20 AM
This would probably be a considerable project. Do you have C# programming experience?

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 12:27 PM Last edited by DrChillgood : 6th Aug 2014 at 5:52 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
This would probably be a considerable project. Do you have C# programming experience?

No, I've programmed in Java my whole coding life. Learning shouldn't be too hard, though.

I think I can get a Visual Studio license from my workplace (where I use ASP), if I need the full version.

OP updated, the dumbphone was there before UL so it could be as easy as defaulting to that and making an object that enables the smartphone functions again.

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.