Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#876 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 11:09 PM
Oh is that why FB has been acting up so much these last few days? And here I was thinking it was my computer feeling tired.

Hope all you simmers in the region are okay!

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#877 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 11:32 PM
Hope anyone in TX is safe.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#878 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 3:09 AM
That explains why FB has been so excruciating slow all day. And here I was thinking my antivirus was acting up (it tends to slow down programs, but other sites were working fine, so it struck me as weird). I hope everyone in TX are safe and well.
Mad Poster
#879 Old 29th Aug 2017 at 10:56 PM
Ok, this isn't a real download yet, but take a peek at the video near the bottom of the page and I don't think it's a far stretch to say it's gonna be reality sometime soon:
http://www.medievalsims.com/forums/...&p=94257#p94257

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#880 Old 30th Aug 2017 at 10:41 AM
I live near Austin and have not heard of any problems here. There's been some nasty flash flooding along the Colorado River and other waterways east of the city though.

Peni Griffin lives in San Antonio. They've had some bad floods in the past, but I don't know how badly the current storm system affected that area. The center of the storm did approach quite closely before turning around and heading for Houston. (I'm looking at the Active Tropical Track on the Interactive Weather Map at www.intellicast.com)

I think that part of the reason Facebook is so overloaded is that so many people are using it and Twitter as emergency systems. Houston's own emergency services were overwhelmed according to the news here. I heard that some people reported calling 911 and never getting an answer - it just rang and rang. People are turning to Facebook and Twitter to call for help, check on loved ones, co-ordinate rescue efforts, etc.

Hugs and prayers to all those in the affected areas. Harvey seems to finally be leaving Texas. I hope Louisiana doesn't get hit too badly with what's left of it.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#881 Old 30th Aug 2017 at 12:10 PM
oh my - I hope Peni is ok.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#882 Old 30th Aug 2017 at 1:16 PM
Me, too. Has anyone heard from her???

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#883 Old 30th Aug 2017 at 1:17 PM
She was last online today

Mad Poster
#884 Old 30th Aug 2017 at 6:11 PM Last edited by RoxEllen1965 : 30th Aug 2017 at 6:26 PM.
If I remember correctly, Harvey wasn't in the San Antonio area very long. I haven't seen that area mentioned in the news about storm damage, so maybe they weren't much affected by it. Peni will be able to provide better information.

One of the reasons the Houston area was so devastated is that the storm just didn't move away. Usually these things come ashore, do their destruction and then move out of the area, dissipating as they go. Harvey moved back into the Gulf of Mexico, where it gained strength from the warm seawater and stalled in the Houston area, repeatedly dumping wind and rain on the city.

EDIT: I ran a search on Google and the only mentions that I can find of San Antonio in connection with Harvey are stories mentioning locations in San Antonio that are taking donations and that the city is providing shelter for storm evacuees from other parts of Texas.
Mad Poster
#885 Old 30th Aug 2017 at 6:44 PM
Thank you, guys. Earlier this summer my town was in the path of a fire moving through the big swamp west of here. We could smell the smoke for a few days because it was so close and were under respiratory alerts. There were a few days I couldn't leave the house because it would trigger my asthma. I was getting a little scared. But once I saw this area was where the evacuation shelters were being staged, I felt a lot better. And I feel better knowing Peni's in the area where refugees are being sent rather than the one being evacuated, too.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#886 Old 30th Aug 2017 at 9:24 PM
Peni posted earlier - which is good. I can't imagine something like that Smorbie. What a horrible experience.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Mad Poster
#887 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 1:00 AM
It was okay. For me it was just a couple of can't-leave-my-inhaler in another room, and stay-at-home days. For those who did have to to be evacuated, it was pretty bad I'm sure. Other than the smoke, the big issue for me was wondering where I would go if the firebreak didn't hold. I'm at the shore, so I couldn't go east, and the fire was spreading in all directions, so I couldn't go west or north. Going south might help, but maybe not because a lot of area was under the same conditions we got here.

But, it was nothing like living through a flood, like Peni's area is doing. I've done that, too. That takes YEARS to fix.

Instructor
#888 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 12:47 PM
Maxis fireplace turned into a decorative one: http://gardenofshadows.org.uk/garde...b2&topic=8677.0
Mad Poster
#889 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 2:54 PM
From the Seasons and SimWardrobe Mod thread;

Quote: Originally posted by PenelopeT
2. Used to use Simwardrobe's weather mod, but switched to simNopke's timeWeatherManager found http://simnopke.tumblr.com/unpublished - it is part of their unpublished creations. simNopke's mod offers so many more customizing options (e.g. changing weather, precipitation accumulation, seasons, seasons duration, week days and minutes) than Simwardrobe's does.

That look interesting and I try myself. I thought other people might see it more if it was put here.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#890 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 4:07 PM
*clicks*

Reads
Quote:
If there is a conflict between one of my mods and any other mod, the other mod should load first. You don’t need to delete it in most cases.

Nope. No. NOPE.
*signs off*

Mad Poster
#891 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 4:10 PM
Why the Nope?

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#892 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 5:27 PM
She does her own mods-and I daresay she would rather keep them in her game than to take them out for some 'newcomer'...

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#893 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 5:41 PM
My bet is the lack of useful information about the mod itself. Gummilutt usually will tell you which mod conflicts with hers, and what it implies.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Space Pony
#894 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 7:56 PM Last edited by Nopke : 31st Aug 2017 at 9:39 PM.
The timeWeatherManager doesn't conflict with anything. It's an object using a custom group.
The mods on that page aren't published just because they haven't got a good description or they aren't finished yet. I thought they would be useful, so I shared them with others.
Mad Poster
#895 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 8:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
Why the Nope?

I'll refer you to my many rants on the topic posted here on MTS. A blanket statement that my mod loads last = rainbows and unicorns -> very annoyed Gummi. Call it a quirk, but I find that so irresponsible and rude. I mean no offense to you personally Nopke, but it drives me bonkers when that's all the information given on potential conflicts. Yes, it's each uploaders choice to not put down the time to give detailed descriptions on conflicts, but writing that is why people think load order solves all conflicts and that both mods will magically still do everything they are supposed to do which is NOT TRUE. This misinformation results in glitches people don't understand the origin of or how to solve, people missing features they would like to still have, and mods/modders getting a bad rep over issues that are not their fault.

I'll repeat so it is very clear. I don't mind uploaders not giving detailed descriptions, I take issue with the "load last" instruction. Either give proper information on conflicts, or say nothing at all. Don't make out it's problem free when conflicts are so much more complex than just load order.

Space Pony
#896 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 9:39 PM
@gummilutt I find your reaction too aggressive and it offended me anyway. I haven't written that load order solves all problems and feeds the starving children in Africa, but yes, I haven't written enough though. The mods on that page aren't very complex, they mostly contain one resource and if conflicting mods load last, my mods become useless. I know, sometimes it isn't so simple, but it's rare. Those mods aren't published officially and aren't very popular, as I see. Anyway, I've changed the part about conflicts.
Forum Resident
#897 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 10:36 PM Last edited by SIMelissa : 31st Aug 2017 at 10:58 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Nopke
The mods on that page aren't very complex, they mostly contain one resource and if conflicting mods load last, my mods become useless.

Not to fan the flames, but does that mean if there is a conflict, and if your mod loads last, the other mod will become useless?

BTW, I downloaded simNopke's weather controller and I've found that it can easily replace two of my other items: SimWardrobe's weather controller and Neder's Day Setter. Plus it can do more.

Just an FYI, so far, I've not found any conflicts with this mod. I like it a lot. It has other options that look handy to have but that I've not yet tried. I've only used it for a Sim-day on two lots, so I don't yet know if it will replace Quickshot's longer seasons. That is, I don't know if changing the season's number of days will do like Sim Wardrobe's "days left" option that just affects that single season, or if changing the number of season days will be the ongoing number of days, like Quickshot's longer seasons.

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Mad Poster
#898 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 10:39 PM
It doesnt necessarily become entirely useless. If two mods touch the same thing the one that loads last will be the one that takes over. It's not necessarily a bad thing. The problem is that if the mod that loads first depends on one thing behaving a certain way to make other things work and that thing isn't working the way expected, that can kinda break.

Mad Poster
#899 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 10:46 PM
Well, I am sorry if you took offense. It's not personal. This is my pet peeve with modding community, and it's one I'm very passionate about because I see the effects everywhere. Like I said, I don't mind that information is short. Makes sense for unpublished mods you aren't finished with. Sort of "download at your own risk, or wait until I finish them, your call"-situation. My issue is purely with the "load mine last"-statement, because it is the primary reason why people seem to think conflicts not solved by load order are rare, as you stated here, when it's actually the other way around. Conflicts where load order preserves both mods function is what is rare.

You said it yourself, if yours does not load last it becomes useless. But what about the other mod? Would it not also be rendered useless, at the very least on that particular conflicting resource? You say it's not necessary to delete it in most cases, but how do you know that? What if there's just the one resource? What if it has more than one resource, is there no chance of that one conflicting bhav containing code that the rest of the mod needs to work properly? To you with your modding knowledge it's probably easy enough to tell when loading yours last will overwrite that part of the other mod (aka rendering that part of the other mod useless) and when a conflict is an either/or situation. But to the average downloader it's not obvious. And with the long history of load-order-magically-solves-everything, they don't realize that it's not that simple. And so follows the glitches and the unexpected behavior and the missing features, and by extension, the wrath of gummibutt. Frustates me to no end to watch people get something they might not want because of misleading information, even if it's not intentionally misleading.

But really, kudos to you for changing what it says. First modder that's actually listened and reconsidered

Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
It doesnt necessarily become entirely useless. If two mods touch the same thing the one that loads last will be the one that takes over. It's not necessarily a bad thing. The problem is that if the mod that loads first depends on one thing behaving a certain way to make other things work and that thing isn't working the way expected, that can kinda break.

Unless it contains multiple resources, it does become entirely useless. If it does contain multiple resources, one possibility is the one you mention where things don't behave as the other mod expects which can break things. But the other possibility that keeps getting forgotten is that the other mod WILL NOT WORK to 100%. Whatever that mod is supposed to do in that resource, is gone. The fact that using both does not cause your game to crash and burn in flames does not mean it's a problem-free conflict, just means it's not a game breaking one. The conflict is still a conflict, and it will alter what you see in your game.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#900 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 11:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMelissa
Not to fan the flames, but does that mean if there is a conflict, and if your mod loads last, the other mod will become useless?

Well, if it's a case where two mods change the same resource - very often it's a case of pick one or the other. The point is the game can only use one of them anyway.

Page 36 of 119