Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 9:40 AM
Default Things you never do in your game
I was just thinking the other day, there are some things in Sims 2 that I don't do that would otherwise be considered very normal, for example:
  • cheating - my Sims never cheat, except those premades who are already doing so at the start of the game
  • romance Sims who woohoo with many people - most of my romance Sims woohoo with 3 or so people, then settle for someone
  • same-sex couples - which is very funny actually, because I'm not straight myself, but I like to play family Sims who reproduce naturally I do sometimes pair Nervous + Pascal though, and I've had Nina pick up a cute postwoman before
  • most of the Supernaturals - except aliens (which I LOVE )
  • community lots - except on vacations (and I also don't play businesses, despite having OFB)
  • killing off Sims intentionally (except very rarely age up elders) - I'm usually really careful so they don't die unintentionally either (fires etc.), I like my Sims to have long lives
  • ^ threfore, no widows/widowers - except the premade ones
  • career and aspiration rewards

Pretty sure there's more, but these are the ones I can think of right now. As you can see, lots of aspects of the game that I leave unused. I do hope I can change some of that now that I have started a new Megahood.

What about you? Do you also have some things in the game that you never do? (Mainly focusing on things that come in game itself, not with use of any hacks, albeit popular ones.)
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 10:28 AM
Blimey, if my married sims didn't cheat half my stories wouldn't exist.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#3 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 10:48 AM
I don't use aspiration rewards very often or cheat, unless it's for setting up purposes. I'll use building cheats etc or money cheats (up or down!) at the beginning of a family's storyline, but I don't just motherlode my sims for the sake of it, and I have never used maxmotives.

I don't keep my sims alive for ever and ever. I let them die. I don't intentionally kill them but I will let them die of old age or accidents etc and don't go out of my way to avoid them.

Most of my houses don't have fire alarms, they are too quick and feel cheaty and pointless to me. My sims tackle fires themselves until the amount of squares on fire exceed the number of sims fighting it, then they call the fire brigade.

Never do outings. I just haven't found a use for them which seems realistic or useful. (I also don't have BV so no vacations)

I rarely ever quit without saving to undo bad things. The game's not fun if bad things don't happen occasionally!

Supernaturals here too - I've had plantsims and I have zombies in my apocalypse but I've never actually played a vampire or werewolf and I'm only playing my first witch now.

Also, I've hardly ever, not sure if I have ever(!) made a sim reach the top of their career! I play so slowly and spend so much time setting up that I never get very far in their actual storylines. I'm hoping to be able to do that now my game is mostly set up how I want it.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Inventor
#4 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 12:21 PM
I never have done/used:
- Same sex couples
- Supernaturals (Once an alien baby but that was by accident. I didn't know yet males could get abducted and return pregnant. So, I had a male stargaze and suddenly poof, he was gone. Me: 'Huh? Where did he go?' Then I shrugged and considered him lost. ~ good one for the noob topic, lol)
- Ep Seasons (I haven't bought it, same as Apartment Life)
Mad Poster
#5 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 1:26 PM
"Always" and "never" have a tendency to render statements false. As soon as I say I "never" do something, some reason to do it is almost bound to come along. And there's lots of things I never have done, that I just haven't gotten around to yet. (I'm a very slow, patient player.) Meanwhile, as sure as I say there's something I "always" do, there's bound to be a reason cropping up not to do it.

I haven't had a werewolf - yet. I haven't gotten into a secret society at college - yet.

I seem unlikely ever to play a legacy or rush through University, at this time. People change, though.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 1:27 PM
Just remembered another one! I practically never use chance cards As with other things, I'm too paranoid something bad might happen (especially something really bad, like being fired) I think I might start to gather up courage and at least do it with those Sims with the aspiration benefit to get it right 80% of the time I need to stop playing so safe, maybe with my favourite Sims, but bad things should start to happen at least sometimes... I plan to do this with my new Megahood, otherwise it might start to get overpopulated anyways :P
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 1:31 PM
If I didn't have the SuperCollection I would never do University. The only aspiration reward I use is the weather controller and that is a one time use only when syncing a new household to the right season.

The Brooke Family Legacy - Family Tree
Field Researcher
#8 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 1:33 PM
I have never played a werewolf or an alien and I only tried playing witches back when I first got them in my game. I will on rare occassions play a vampire.

I have never been on an outing.

I have never purposely kept a sim on a low career level.

I have never intentionally killed a sim either.

I have never made a sim cheat on their spouse.

I have never played a lesbian couple.

I have never played a sim with the Popularity aspiration or the cheese aspiration.

I have never bought a pinball machine (apparently those are a big deal).

I have never had a sim with a bad reputation.

I have never had sims die of anything other than old age and fire.

I have never had a sim owning a business without getting it to the top level, because I'm OCD.

Aaand so on and forth... too much to list, I haven't done diggity squat. I've had a bunch of great ideas, but I hate building and I don't have much patience, so I only ever get it out in the form of written stories. I've been wanting to recreate the sim in my DP along with his twin brother in their adult versions, so I can play them on a nature lot, but I lost the eyes and no other eyes would be right for them. Blah.
Instructor
#9 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 2:07 PM
-Until yesterday, I had never had anything taken by the repo man. I only did that because I did a Random Occurrence Scenario and that's what I rolled.
-I have never had a sim go on vacation.
-I have never had a sim with a bad reputation - mainly because I don't spend enough time on community lots to build one.
-I have never had a sim join a secret society.
-I have never had a sim with the Grilled Cheese aspiration. I find it too silly.
-I have never had a plantsim.
-I have never owned a business.
Alchemist
#10 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 3:27 PM
I've never fulfilled the wish for ten kids.
I've never had a Sim make a snapdragon or a servo.
I've never had a grilled cheese Sim
I've never played a Sim from their birth until their death of old age.
None of my Sims have ever had a terrible date
I've never played a werewolf
I've never seen Bigfoot
Field Researcher
#11 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 4:42 PM
Goodness, there's a LOT I haven't done. I haven't-

-played a sim from cradle to coffin.
-Had more than three children in-game per family.
-Made supernaturals on my own (except an accidental Darleen Dreamer zombie long, long ago)
-fulfilled a lifetime wish
-completed college (though that might change soon)
-owned a successful business (Community lots like to randomly crash on me, even without CC and a decent computer)
-I've never had sims cheat on each other unless you count quitting without saving and/or Danial Pleasant's last fling with Kaylynn before Mary-Sue catches them.
-I've never reached the top of a career with a custom sim (they rarely even work unless they want to)
-let bad things happen and continue playing (One of my biggest regrets with the Creek family- the wife became sick with the flu and just wouldn't. sit. down. She eventually died shortly after her son reached toddlerhood- right by the dishwasher. I quit, because she was pretty and I didn't want to lose her, but it might have been fun playing a single dad with a kid who wasn't parented by Mystery Sim.)

I'm sure there's more. It's strange to think that sometimes I load the game and think "Hmm, I'm bored." If I could figure out why my community lots crashed, I'd be doing so much more. I guess I could post in the help forum, but there's really not much else I can think of to try? But I guess that's why there's a help forum?
Scholar
#12 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 4:51 PM
There are lots of things I have never tried. What I would like to have is a list with all the different things you can do in the entire game and try every single one of them. Things like joining Secret Society, Big Sim on Campus, Zombie, Dream Date, Top level business, etc. I am sure there are things I never even knew about.

I just recently saw Bigfoot and have two so far in one family, (thanks to Pizzatron extolling their virtues) and I love it!

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Instructor
#13 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 4:52 PM
-Never had a in game alien besides the ones already in strangtown,
-no werewolf
-no zombie
-no witch
-no harming toddles/babies
-children skip school
-no abortions

Peace, Harmony & Balance... Libra is Love..
Mad Poster
#14 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 5:26 PM
Potty train toddler sims, until recently. Usually I just can't be bothered, and I use to maxmotives a lot, which means they never needed to potty train. In my newest neighbourhood I've been trying not to use maxmotives, so about 1 in 4 toddlers get potty trained. That would be a lot higher buuut the Eriksons have 10 children (including 1 set of twins and 1 set of triplets) and the Menon's had quads so they were a lot more difficult to potty train.

Oh and killing sims off (other than old age). I usually quit without saving, illness is a real problem in my game (I play 1 day rotations, so sometimes if illness isn't treated quickly enough it spreads fast) but I've been trying to just 'let things happen'. Also for the sake of a storyline I made a CAS family and planned on killing off the mother, as a kind of single-father storyline, but I just felt so bad the woman I was suppose to kill off is now almost an elder and has become one of my favourite sims.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 5:32 PM
There are quite a few things I have never done as I am a new player and haven't gotten to many things as of yet. I have not played any of the supernaturals except aliens (as they are all over Strangetown). I have never done the scored outing, but I do the casual groups all the time. I have never had a business. I have never played an apartment complex. i have never purposefully directed a Sim to cheat, but I have had it happen autonomously. I have never achieved a lifetime want (though I am working on it), and have not used aspiration rewards except the money tree. (I just discovered career rewards!) None of my Sims have talent badges, and I have only tried the toy making bench. I've never had a grilled cheese aspiration. I have never played a sorority or fraternity. I've never used build mode for anything more exciting than adding a pool slide or a few plants, and I am in awe of those of you whose lots I've downloaded.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 5:36 PM
I love to read this to see how different we all play For example, budwinys wrote that she never had more than 3 kids per family - usually, my families have at least 3 kids (many of them have 4 or 5, but I don't usually do more than that except when the parents really want so).

As for bad reputation, I don't think you need to go to community lots - if you're being a jerk to Sims in your household and visitors, that should eventually get you there, if that's what you want. Though I find it's rather hard to get a very bad reputation, it's much more easy to get good reputation and it happens a lot to me unintentionally. Though Chloe Curious is on a pretty good way now, as she's just annoying the hell out of everyone

For all those people who like to play cheating spouses, how the hell do you not get caught by the spouse they live together (except if that's what you aim for)?! I have some romance Sims that are married and with kids but secretly want to woohoo with some others But I don't want them to be caught by their spouses. I always plan them to cheat but then chicken out
Mad Poster
#17 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 5:45 PM
What on earth makes you think they don't get caught?

If you really don't want them getting caught, running the cheating date as a home date from the other side with a Romance playable who lives alone or with people who mind their own business is the simplest thing. When dating townies, you date while the spouse is at work, or you go out and use one of the many public woohoo options. With a little planning you can fulfill all the woohoo wants you like on community lots, even "woohoo in bed." The odds of not getting caught (by the spouse) on a community lot are pretty good. The odds of being caught by one lover with another lover go steadily up as you add lovers. It's part of the challenge.

If you don't like "caught cheating events," don't give Romance and Pleasure sims big families. Families are a lot less forgiving than spouses and dates!

But if all you want is not to permanently wreck the relationship, Freetime gives you the Romance perk "Smooth Talk," which covers a multitude of sins and leads directly to makeup woohoo.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#18 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 6:10 PM
This thread was beginning to read like that drinking game

I don't make all of my sims have kids. And when they do, they might have one, three or ten depending on what seems to fit.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Field Researcher
#19 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 6:19 PM
Huh. I've done almost all the things people have listed above. (Except for harming toddlers, unless you count directing them to take care of themselves while the grown-ups around them do other stuff as parental neglect...) I tend to micromanage a lot.

* I've never let a sim fail/drop out of college. (Well, I think I tested the drop-out thing once, just to see what happened, but never with a sim I actually played.)
* I've never intentionally broken up a couple who I felt were good together for the sake of story/drama.
* I've never played a family past the fourth generation or so.
* I don't think I've motherloded a household since the first few months of playing the game. (Have a rich relative give them money, yeah, but not add money from nowhere.)
* I've never fed the penguin.
* I've never used the obedience trainer.
* I've never completed a pet-related LTW - although I'm partway there on the 6 Pet Careers one in one of my 'hoods.
* I've never had a death by flies, or satellite, or electrocution, that wasn't through Rodney's Death Creator.
* I've never combined all available creatures in one Black Sheep. I've never had a plantpire, or werewitch, or zompire, or... I could go on.
* I've never had all the sims in a household die. I always move someone in or merge the last survivor with another household.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 6:34 PM
The things I never do in my game:

1. Let a game go on for multiple generations. This is my least favorite, as I really WANT to, but usually my rotation somehow gets messed up, or it starts boring me and I go back to building in the game, or there is a change that needs to be made, so I just start over. It is by far the worst thing that I haven't done. It's very sad and I'm working on changing it... The furthest I've ever gotten was to generation 2 on some families in a single neighborhood, and then the hard-drive on the computer fried...
2. I've never had a Servo in my game. I also don't care for ghosts on residential lots. I'm not against Servos, I'm hoping to have them at some point.
3. I also never quit to undo bad things that happen in game. This may be a problem because then I get upset that things didn't go the way I planned. But a lot of the times I like the unexpected outcomes of not saving.
4. I've never chosen to use the Grilled Cheese Aspiration.
5. I have run businesses, but I've only used the flower arranging station out of all the crafting stations to have one. Hence, there were no robots for Servos.
6. I have also never had a Sim join the Secret Society. Hopefully this will change.
7. I have not fulfilled most lifetime wishes.
8. I have never shared any of the creations I have made, and in fact, have only recently started saving them myself from being deleted.
9. I have never had the toy dog pen in a household.
10. Hire a handyman. I've hired a maid, the nanny, the butler, etc, but my Sims, no matter how rich, will just do repairs themselves.

So, those are the ones I've thought of. Normally, my families are the happy couple with children, but I'll adopt, have same-sex couples, have single parent families, have 'bad' kids, have Sims cheat (only certain Sims, though, most do not), do some vacations (rare, but they do happen), have pets (also rare), become Supernaturals (very rare), etc.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 6:54 PM
I've never played any of the premade hoods

Check out my Simblr to follow the development of the Grand Duchy of Heimlichbourg!
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 7:13 PM
@ Vixxen - I do sometimes pair Nervous + Pascal though, and I've had Nina pick up a cute postwoman before.

Looking in SimPE, on sexuality bar I've found that NS is already gay. Did you already knew that?

I never
- Let sims aging
- Play with of sovrannaturals too - I like just vampires and witches (I also like Plantsims but I never had a plant sim)
- Send Sims in vacation
- Send sims in universities
- Having DOGS as pets (Cats are fine. I love cats in real life, so)
- Having/building big houses (I love small spaces :3)

Che il sultano mantenga le tradizioni nella propria terra, ma non tenti di imporle ad altri regnanti.
That the sultan may keep his tradition in his own land, but not attempt to force them on other rulers.
(Vlad Țepeș)
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 7:42 PM
I feel somewhat ashamed in admitting this, but I've never been to any of the Freetime hobby lots. I don't go to community lots often. My sims have never done a cooking contest, dancing contest, or whatever you can supposedly do on those lots. I think I can safely say I haven't played half of that EP!

I've also never been to the witch lots, despite the fact that I do play witches in my game. There are more Appartment Life NPCs that I've never seen either, including human statues and breakdancers.

Some more stuff:
  • Never hired an Obedience trainer for pets.
  • Never seen the ninja that teaches your sim to teleport.
  • Never bought a vacation home and had sims live in it. Hotels are too interesting!
  • Never created a sim that was based on a real person.
  • Never had an accidental death; it is always either something I intentionally did or old age.
  • Never played any of the Bluewater Village pre-mades, nor any Maxis neighborhood other than Pleasantview, Strangetown, and Veronaville.

Quote: Originally posted by Noa_4ever
The things I never do in my game:
6. I have also never had a Sim join the Secret Society. Hopefully this will change.

Funny, I can't stop my sims from being in the Secret Society. I like to have all of my young adults live on the same lots and be friends with each other, which means the SS sims are constantly getting other sims to join. Every night at 11:00 pm a sim gets kidnapped.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 7:46 PM Last edited by Bigsimsfan12 : 24th Sep 2014 at 3:53 AM.
A few more:
Never used an obedience trainer
Never fulfilled the '20 pet best friend' or 'raise 20 puppies/kittens' LTW (though I'm half way through the raising 20 puppies/kittens one, though its getting annoying to have so many dogs without homes/having like 3 dogs per household)
Never completed all those vacation memories thing (e.g. 'use a tent' etc things) though I've got at least half
Never married bigfoot / moved him in
Never obtained a voodoo doll through normal gameplay
Never used snapdragons
Never had an alien/zombie/vampire/werewolf/witch/plantsim etc. (as in just 1 sim. I've had all individually)
Never bought a vacation home

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 8:10 PM
I've never gone on vacation, owned a business, or lived in an apartment.

So far, I haven't had a werewolf or vampire, but I do have Sims I'm planning to have become those supernaturals (just haven't gotten to it yet because I have too many families and it takes forever to get through the rotation, lol).

I rarely cheat. Well, I guess some of my hacks might be considered little cheats (exploding baby bottles, toddler climbs out of crib, etc.), but the only time I've ever used maxmotives was when my 6-year-old's Sim was about to have her cats taken away by animal control and she was distraught. I don't use boolprop except to fix problems.

I never have monogamous Sims, haha. That's not entirely true as I play the Sims my daughters created as monogamous Sims, but pretty much everyone else has a little cheating in their past, even the happily married couples. (And no one ever gets caught anymore, since I've figured out how to have them cheat discreetly.)

I never have Sims with no children. Having babies is my favorite part of the game, so even my Sims who shouldn't have kids or should be done have kids, tend to just keep reproducing. That's why the population in my hood is getting out of control!
Page 1 of 3