Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Mar 2015 at 1:02 AM
Default Are Custom Birds Possible?
Because I think cockatiels would be a great addition to the wild and buyable birds list. Sure, they have cockatoos already, but just the white ones. Cockatiels need some attention too - especially when they can dance.
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 24th Mar 2015 at 9:13 AM Last edited by Arsil : 24th Mar 2015 at 10:39 AM.
Yes. Severinka (I think) made a cockatoo (along with other minor pets). Can't find the link.

He/she cloned an existing one, remeshed/retuxtured and made it placeable like a regular object.
In order to make a full fledged custom pet (so you can find it in the wild or buy it with a cage,
I don't have Pets so I guess this is how it works) you also need to add a new entry to an xml
resource that lists all minor pets, so it can be "generated" a bit like how it happens with ingredients/recipes.

Sorry for the poorly phrased explanation ^^

EDIT
This is another one (not sure if it flies)
http://simminginmagnificentstyle.bl...d-comedian.html
Theorist
#3 Old 24th Mar 2015 at 4:55 PM
If anyone can find Severinka's one, can you post a link please?
And Carlos's ones are very nice. Unfortunately they clash with Error Trap, meaning your sims reset when interacting with them, so I have to place invisible fences around them.
Still works lovely though.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Inventor
#4 Old 24th Mar 2015 at 5:04 PM
I probably was referring to Carlos' ones too (cockatoo, rat, snake and turtle).
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Mar 2015 at 6:33 PM
Oh my... I have Nraas' Error Trap. Thank you for the warning!

But anyway, if there's a tutorial on cloning animal objects and recolouring them so you can have things like cockatiels, bunnies, rare blue hedgehogs, etc., that would be cool!
Inventor
#6 Old 25th Mar 2015 at 7:01 PM Last edited by Arsil : 31st Mar 2015 at 12:16 PM.
Would you try this for me? If it works I'll write a guide.

Keep in mind that I've cloned the existing cockatoo without making any change to the mesh or textures,
so it will look exactly like the default one but with another name. You can re-mesh or re-color it yourself,
I'm only interested in knowing if it works correctly (it's added to spawners and all other interactions work fine).

Technically this is illegal material, because it's an unmodified mesh and textures from an EP, but considering
that it's worthless without the EP installed I guess it's fine. Besides, consider it "for science" ^^

Warning: to finish it faster (it's only an attempt after all), I used a default replacement of the MinorPets xml,
so check with Dashboard if you already have a mod that overrides that (if any exists).

EDIT: attachment removed. It doesn't work.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 7:46 AM
I might try it out. I was thinking more of a small bird, because cockatiels are quite small, and they're finger-birds. Might try it out pretty soon though. I'll also hafta look up some guides for meshing and stuff because I'm clueless about 3D modeling.
Inventor
#8 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 9:40 AM Last edited by Arsil : 31st Mar 2015 at 1:22 PM.
Let me know how it goes and don't be disappointed if it doesn't work, maybe I missed or messed something,
I made it kinda blindly, but it should not be too different than adding a custom harvestable plant.

EDIT: it doesn't work. I may try again.

EDIT2: Now it's working. Gimme some time and I'll re-upload it (using a small bird, so you can personalize that).
Inventor
#9 Old 31st Mar 2015 at 2:47 PM Last edited by Arsil : 31st Mar 2015 at 3:54 PM.
This works. I've added it to the first spawner for large birds.
Note: if you stock a cage with a debug interaction it will appear as a number instead of a name.

Meshing could be hard, but you can easily rename it editing the STBL and recolor/modify the textures
(see the xml for the color of the feathers that the bird sometimes leaves around as special effect).

I don't see the point in making a guide, since it's very complex and requires scripting because species
are hard-coded (that's why default replacements of the MinorPets xml resource wont work). But if
someone is interested I've heavily commented the xml data to explain most of the process, like I
said it's not too different than creating a custom [harvestable] plant.

@JDacapo if you really want a custom small bird, I'll do it for you, just tell me which existing small
bird I should clone: pick the one that more resembles the custom one you want to make - based on
its mesh/shape, not on the colors, those are easy to change anyway.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Custom_BirdCockatoo.package.zip (335.2 KB, 147 downloads) - View custom content
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 1:31 AM
I'll have to look it up then. I didn't know the small birds had different meshes. I think for the cockatiel... something like the cardinal or parakeet. Thank you for all that work! I'll have to do some studying :D
Icy Spicy
#11 Old 24th Apr 2015 at 7:32 PM
Thank you so much for the custom bird.I have recolored it a bit to see how it looks.
Screenshots