Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Oct 2018 at 7:19 PM Last edited by Lyralei : 5th Oct 2018 at 9:21 PM. Reason: recategorising the thread category
Default Help..New
Okay, so I'm just wondering how safe the mods are on here? I've never really done this before and I'm not even sure how to get the mods on my game. Anyway help would be appreciated. I'm looking for specific mods as well. If you could private message me on here that would work so much better because I have no idea what I'm doing. Thank you!!!!!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 4th Oct 2018 at 7:51 PM
All of the mods here are safe, as long as they are not outdated, then they can cause many issues
so the first thing you should do before installing any mod would be to check when it was last updated (should be updated for the latest game version, currently 1.46.18.1020)
and check the comments section to see if anyone has any issues with it that you should know of.

how to install mods:
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/tutorials/mods-cc.php

* note that these days script mods needs to be unzipped (the tutorial is a tiny bit old, but still works)
there was a time in the history of which you should have leave them zipped, but nowadays you must unzip them.
Scholar
#3 Old 4th Oct 2018 at 8:33 PM
That's odd, I've never needed to unzip any of mine, as long as it's got the ts4script extension and its no deeper than one subfolder the game will recognise them, but maybe you can unzip them also, maybe it works either way...
Smeg Head
#4 Old 4th Oct 2018 at 8:43 PM
The .ts4script extension is itself another form of zip file. But one you do not have a handy rar app or likewise to open. Made this way to help prevent those unfamiliar to mod types from easily opening and incorrectly extracting the python files within. As history has proven, script mods in rar folders are all too easily messed up by newbie mod users opening them and extracting the contents.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Scholar
#5 Old 4th Oct 2018 at 9:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Citysim
That's odd, I've never needed to unzip any of mine, as long as it's got the ts4script extension and its no deeper than one subfolder the game will recognise them, but maybe you can unzip them also, maybe it works either way...

I was talking about rar and zip files, not the Ts4script files in within..
there used to be a time of which you should have kept them zipped, the tutorial I've linked was mentioning that, it's an old tutorial..
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Oct 2018 at 11:48 PM
I watched videos online and all of my files say they are unzipped but they are not showing up in the game. I have already enabled mods as well in the game. Any suggestions to what I should do next?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Oct 2018 at 11:49 PM
I didn't upzip any file they just like came like that after I downloaded them. I can't get any .rar items to work. Do i need to download something for mesh. I'm confused.
Scholar
#8 Old 4th Oct 2018 at 11:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Cutiebabe420
I didn't upzip any file they just like came like that after I downloaded them. I can't get any .rar items to work. Do i need to download something for mesh. I'm confused.

Sorry if I confused you. you NEED to unzip the files for them to work
use Winrar/ Winzip, right click on the zip/rar files and click extract here, then delete the zip and rar files, to keep your folder tidy
you should only have Package files and ts4script files in your mods folder (besides the Resources.cfg file of which you shouldn't touch)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th Oct 2018 at 12:10 AM
Can you get any rar or zip app for free? I also did as you said any unzipped them myself and it did not work.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 5th Oct 2018 at 12:17 AM
Is this what they are suppose to look like after they become unzipped. (I just unzipped random ones, still not sure what I'm doing) So sorry for the inconvenience lol.
I'm a total noob at mods. I've never done it before.
Screenshots
Scholar
#11 Old 5th Oct 2018 at 1:10 AM
Yes, but you deleted the Resources.cfg file that I told you not to..
if it's not in your recycle bin, I can search for you a way to recover it
but check there first..
Scholar
#12 Old 5th Oct 2018 at 1:12 AM
Yes and unless you have a MAC you extract them to MyDocuments/Electronic Arts/ Sims 4/Mods and then when you open your game you have to go into settings click on the tabs until you find an option for enable custom content and check that box otherwise you won't be able to see it in game-- if you downloaded script mods like No Culling, Canvas Storage Rack, Master Command Ctr, or UI Cheats Extension you also have to check the box that says Enable Script Mods
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 5th Oct 2018 at 1:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Keren
Yes, but you deleted the Resources.cfg file that I told you not to..
if it's not in your recycle bin, I can search for you a way to recover it
but check there first..

I deleted the file forever ago, I didn't even realize and it's not in my recycling- since this was quite some time ago. I will be waiting to see what you find.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 5th Oct 2018 at 1:54 AM
Right now I am trying to get the file back by going through orgins and repairing it.
Scholar
#15 Old 5th Oct 2018 at 2:16 AM
I deleted the file forever ago, I didn't even realize and it's not in my recycling- since this was quite some time ago. I will be waiting to see what you find.

I think it would be easier to just upload my file for you, so here you go
just unzip it into your mods folder, and never touch it again
(hopefully it will work this way)
Scholar
#16 Old 5th Oct 2018 at 2:18 AM
It didn't upload, I uploaded it unzipped to Mediafire instead
just drop it as it is in your mods folder
http://www.mediafire.com/file/se5wc...source.cfg/file
Mad Poster
#17 Old 5th Oct 2018 at 11:04 AM
Can you get any rar or zip app for free? I also did as you said any unzipped them myself and it did not work.
7zip is free and will open .zip and .rar and several other file formats too.
https://www.7-zip.org
dodgy builder
#18 Old 5th Oct 2018 at 1:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
7zip is free and will open .zip and .rar and several other file formats too.
https://www.7-zip.org

You don't have to pay for WinRAR either, if you just ignore all the annoying popups.

@Cutiebabe420 There is a tutorial on this site as well. You should read the CC basic tutorial under help in the menu at the top. There is a few things you have to pay attention to when choosing mods to download.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#19 Old 5th Oct 2018 at 9:21 PM