Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Undead Molten Llama
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Apr 2016 at 12:42 AM
Default Roofs: A poll of sorts...
So I have finally figured out the secret to making nice-looking custom roof textures for the game. (Trust me; it's harder than it looks. ) I plan to make/share a bunch. But I do have a bit of a quandary about it. Namely, there's a global mod out there that adjusts the way that the game displays the color of roofs. (Short version: The game makes them much darker than they should be, given the color of the texture image.) I'm not sure how prevalent usage of this mod is so therefore I'm not certain whether or not to make the colors with the mod in mind or not. Hence my quandary.

I posted in more detail, with an example of what one of the ones I'm working on looks like with and without the mod installed, on my Tumblr in this post here: http://dramallamadingdang.tumblr.co...with-a-quandary but since I'm planning to upload these to MTS as I make them (since I haven't uploaded anything here in a while) I thought I'd get some input from folks here, too. So...Please let me know what you think about this issue?

Thanks in advance!

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th Apr 2016 at 12:49 AM
I don't use that mod and I never heard of it..But if you'd share 2 versions for each color you make, then people who uses that mod would still end up with the same color YOU had in mind. Of course, that requires you to have the mod too, for comparison.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Scholar
#3 Old 30th Apr 2016 at 1:02 AM
Never heard of that mod.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 30th Apr 2016 at 1:18 AM
I looked at that mod some years ago but did not think it was worth getting. I just don't spend very much time looking at roofs except when I am trying to build one then I spend far too much time looking at it while wishing I was not.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#5 Old 30th Apr 2016 at 1:46 AM
I am familiar with the mod as some roof recolors I downloaded from another creator some time ago suggested using it in order to make their recolors stand out in game more. However, like, Jo, I just did not see a need for it...still don't actually.

I've been following your progress on Tumblr and will be very happy to download whatever you share, as there are so few really nice roof recolors out there. Have already snagged the rest of the build items you shared recently anyhow (shame on you for that).

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
#6 Old 30th Apr 2016 at 1:54 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 30th Apr 2016 at 12:03 PM.
It was a result of EAxis' annoying habit of making EVERYTHING darker. I noticed it first with accessories, which could be colored 100% white, and still look light grey, which didn't fit with clothing at all.

Basically, most objects and accessories have the "stdMatDiffCoef" set to "0.8,0.8,0.8" (clothes are usually set to "1,1,1") - which darkens the objects, and explains why there are extremely few properly white items ingame, and why some items just won't match the color you intend to make. Supposedly it's meant to help with lighting effects somehow, but I think it's more of an annoyance.

I'd probably be interested in having properly white roofs, if I needed it for a building project.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 30th Apr 2016 at 4:51 AM
I would love more roofs and I do use Niol's mod.

Especially . . . you were thinking of doing flat roofs once: hot mop, membrane, do you remember? *hint hint*

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#8 Old 30th Apr 2016 at 6:46 AM
Using recolors without the mod. @iCad, CuriousB made a bunch. The roof textures don't look dark in my game, or perhaps in my opinion I can always use some more.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 30th Apr 2016 at 6:47 AM
I found with the Niol mod that to me, the roofs seemed TOO bright. Maybe I just like darker colors better. I removed the mod.

And there never seems to be enough good roof textures.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 30th Apr 2016 at 10:53 AM
Don't use the mod, because I don't understand roof's at all. I just let the game fix it for me. Think I downloaded a global trim sometime, but don't know where it is, so i just left it in.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 30th Apr 2016 at 12:01 PM
I hadn't heard of that mod either, and I won't be using it. They look too bright to me. And too clean, roofs get dirty so whatever they were originally it makes sense to be a little darker.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 30th Apr 2016 at 2:03 PM
I found that mod when almighty hat made pooklet thatch recolors; naturally, I snatched both up, and am quite happy with it. I always hated how dark the roof colors were, and was pleased to have some vibrant colors in my game.
Really, though, I think it depends on the colors you're making. If they're all very bright, then you might need the mod for them. If they're on the darker side, then you might not need the mod.
Or you could just about kill yourself making both versions. Some people like doing all the work with all the pain involved in cc creation. (Do we call those masochists, or philanthropists, or what...?)

I'm a young adult in poor health, trying to heal enough to complete my goals.
This is the song that never ends ~ It goes on and on my friends ~
my first ToT Challenge (which is actually indefinitely hiatus, I'm in a different TOT hood now)
Mad Poster
#13 Old 30th Apr 2016 at 2:25 PM
We call them creators
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#14 Old 30th Apr 2016 at 3:53 PM
Yeah and you should know that though it's a lot of work, it's also a lot of fun.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc