Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Apr 2016 at 3:57 PM Last edited by selfmadequeen : 28th Apr 2016 at 4:05 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
SimPE? Simblender?
I'm not sure if this qualified as a "help" question... it's more of a general opinion question.

In past incarnations of my game, I've used SimPE. Are there advantages to it over SimBlender? Disadvantages? Which is better/more/useful/less likely to cause the apocalypse?
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 28th Apr 2016 at 4:04 PM
While SimBlender and SimPE have some overlapping abilities, I don't think of them as similar programs. SimPE is the more complex and powerful program. You can destroy your neighborhood if you use it to change or remove something that shouldn't be changed. You need SimPE if you want to make new objects, object recolors or mods for the game.

SimBlender is safe, easy to use, and you can use it while the game is open.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Apr 2016 at 4:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
While SimBlender and SimPE have some overlapping abilities, I don't think of them as similar programs. SimPE is the more complex and powerful program. You can destroy your neighborhood if you use it to change or remove something that shouldn't be changed. You need SimPE if you want to make new objects, object recolors or mods for the game.

SimBlender is safe, easy to use, and you can use it while the game is open.

Can I have both installed at the same time? I've never used SimBlender before, but I'd like to weigh options.
Alchemist
#4 Old 28th Apr 2016 at 4:14 PM
Yes, and just so you know, you don't really install Sim Blender, like a program. You put it in your downloads folder, like other custom content, and buy it from your Sims' homes and community lots.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 28th Apr 2016 at 4:35 PM
A lot of what SimBlender does can also be done with the testingcheats - but of course if you don't play with testingcheats on and want to do something quickly it's annoying to save, got to neighborhood, enable them, and back out again.

SimBlender's not the only in-game editing tool. Some people swear by InSim or the SimManipulator. You can have SimPE with any of those things, because you never have SimPE open at the same time as the game - it only lets you edit the packages when they're static.

Some things, like changing the family tree, can only be done in SimPE, but many things can be done on the fly with one of the in-game editing tools.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#6 Old 28th Apr 2016 at 8:24 PM
Simblender is an ingame mod, SimPE is an 'out of game' all-purpose modding tool.

I prefer to use the ingame mods for anything that can be fixed ingame, and mostly use SimPE for editing CC and extracting sims.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 28th Apr 2016 at 9:31 PM
You want both as well as the bat Box and possibly the sim manipulator. SimPE is the program that you use outside the game, the others are ingame items (simblender is a plant, bat box is a box) I use all of them with the blender and bat box on every lot. None cause the apocolypse and yes they all work together. The simblender is just an inert plant until you click on it. Very handy for knowing how many hours until a birth is coming or to click on it and make sure all the wedding guests are wearing formal and that someone is not in thier togs from taking a dip. SimPE is for editing sims and objects in other ways, extracting sims, making mods and custom content

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Apr 2016 at 9:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You want both as well as the bat Box and possibly the sim manipulator. SimPE is the program that you use outside the game, the others are ingame items (simblender is a plant, bat box is a box) I use all of them with the blender and bat box on every lot. None cause the apocolypse and yes they all work together. The simblender is just an inert plant until you click on it. Very handy for knowing how many hours until a birth is coming or to click on it and make sure all the wedding guests are wearing formal and that someone is not in thier togs from taking a dip. SimPE is for editing sims and objects in other ways, extracting sims, making mods and custom content

I've never used either Bat box or simblender. Are they compatible (or redundant) with the insiminator/Inteen?
Mad Poster
#9 Old 29th Apr 2016 at 9:28 PM
The batbox is compatible with everything. It's far and away the easiest way to clean up some basic types of corruption and fix certain problems. Rerandomizing the sim generator is probably the thing it's most used for, but it can also wipe corrupt memories, clear gossip, reroll LTWs, upgrade CAS sims or premades to have university degrees, fix some (not all) problems with want slots, fix stuck effects, clear off invisible lot visitors - oh, so much! If some dystopian government forced me to play this game with only one piece of CC, this would be it.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10 Old 29th Apr 2016 at 9:31 PM
They're pretty much all compatible. I have a good number of different in game utilities and mods. I use the SimBlender for convenience though I play with Debug Mode activated all the time and can do many of its functions manually if I wanted. I think InSim is the one that is more redundant in a sense but a lot of people like it so what do I know? I don't have that one though. Bat box I would say is an essential. It's my first stopping point, if the game is running, for fixing issues (second is deleting cache files).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#11 Old 29th Apr 2016 at 9:57 PM
I've used SimBlender and the Insimenator ingame on two (maybe 3) different computers for several years. I've even had them on the same lot multiple times, and they've never thrown any errors or shown any bugs, even with TestingCheats enabled. So I'd say they're safe together.

I often find Insim more convinient because of the little one-tile spawnable objects (easier to remember which does what, and they can be removed in live mode through the 'delete' menu).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 29th Apr 2016 at 10:59 PM
You can use Insiminator if you like, I prefer the new sim manipulator since it's supported.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#13 Old 30th Apr 2016 at 1:05 AM
Do SimBlender and Sim Manipulator play nice together though? Sim Manipulator has some things I'd like to have around but I've been using SimBlender forever and it's been really reliable.

My simblr
In the name of the Moon, i will right wrongs and triumph over evil, and that means YOU! ❤️
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 30th Apr 2016 at 1:15 AM
As I said, I use all of them and so do many others. Simblender always comes up in the HCDU if that's what you mean, but it's a known false positive.

~Call me Jo~