Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#26 Old 29th Aug 2013 at 11:58 PM
I'm sure once we have plenty of colour options it won't be so bad. I just wish I knew where my posts that I have replied to button was. Also I really liked on the classic theme the little arrow up the top to the right. I would click that and go 'new posts' It just seems harder to find things on bootstrap.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Theorist
#27 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 1:21 AM
For me it's not a problem of finding things or wanting more colors, it's about a totally different look. Everything looks different. Not only colors, but sizes, spaces, even layot a little, and everything looks so incredibly worse. If I could customize it to be a 100% clone of the classic theme it would be ok. But I think the same story will repeat itself, like with those two sites, I never managed to get accustomed to their new look and had to give up on them.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#28 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 1:35 AM
The problem is, though, that that's pretty vague. What does "worse" mean? Rounded? Pastel? Smaller font? Too much whitespace? Not enough pointless borders (I have a Thing about borders )? Or just "different"? We'd love to fix the problems, but I don't really understand what they are (with some exceptions ofc, which we're working on, like lack of contrast for users with sight problems).

If you had never been to MTS before in your life, and you wandered onto the home page today for the first time, what would your opinion of it be?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Top Secret Researcher
#29 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 4:13 AM
It's largely the fact, from how I understand it, that Bootstrap is meant for close, centered minimalism. Something that wants to make your eyes focus, rather than look left to right. If your eyes go somewhere, they don't feel the need to go somewhere else. Everything is neatly tight and easy on the eyes.

Which is not MTS. MTS is not a site meant for minimalism, or primness. The current layout does not show that style, thus defeating the point of using Bootstrap.

Example. When you first look at the website, your eyes don't flail around. When you search for something, your eyes still don't flail around. There is less detail to take in, yet it serves it's purpose.

When you look at MTS's download page, your eyes are trying to absorb all the details of the pictures and text. You can't just zoom out, because the boxes just move around instead of staying center. Headache central. Better than the original format the staff wanted, definitely, but not friendly.

Simblr.
Asks are always open, even to anons. I will always reply to asks, and I do my best to be cordial/less snarky than usual.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#30 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 4:20 AM
^ I agree ^ I have no trouble on that page that Fivey linked to, the dark border draws my eyes in to where the important text is. I am still having a lot of trouble on here. I think it's the amount of pale but also how many things there are to look at.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#31 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 5:37 AM Last edited by d_dgjdhh : 23rd Mar 2016 at 4:59 AM.
For me, especially with the forum, it's a problem with the shading of grays.

There's something I've noticed. There are apparently grey divisions that layer topics from grey, then white, then grey again. The problem I think is due to Windows VS. Apple screen color displaying.

I use a Windows computer, and the forum looks white for every topic, in that the only thing dividing topics are a thin black line, and that's it. The following is the current display, which only Apple screens will see, but what I see on screen:

The only time I can see a difference in grey shading is if I use Photoshop to increase highlights (Image -> Adjustments -> Shadow/Highlight...) by 10%. Then I can see the divisions of the grey and white, like so:

I noticed this difference when I go to this Apple store in a shopping mall I work at. I'd visit the new website's layout & I see quite a difference. Perhaps the reason people are complaining about too much white being on the website, when on your side (the web designers) you don't see it, can be due to the color setup from both operating systems?

I think Windows uses a default gamma of 2.2 while Apple uses a gamma of 1.0. Maybe that difference is causing issues? The brightness/contract doesn't do much to change it, whether my monitor or Photoshop. With Photoshop, it would require a decrease in the brightness and a large increase in contrast to show the difference.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Theorist
#32 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 6:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
The problem is, though, that that's pretty vague. What does "worse" mean? Rounded? Pastel? Smaller font? Too much whitespace?

I would say if I knew, but I'm no good analyzing such things! If I say everything is smaller and there's too much space that isn't taken by anything and it feels pointless, it makes no sense at all. I just can't explain. That's why I just ask to keep classic theme optional for those who want it, instead of removing that option completely.

I realize that I'm limited-minded and bad at adapting... But that's how I am.

If you had never been to MTS before in your life, and you wandered onto the home page today for the first time, what would your opinion of it be?

I don't really know, but one thing I know for sure is that I'd be very suspicious towards the site, because of that file that it offers to download on its front page. Usually I've seen such download forms on sites that force you to download pointless software, they never say what it is, and sometimes you make a mistake and press it, thinking that you're downloading something else. I always think it's a trick not to name a file to trick you download it, and in case of MTS I also can't find the name of the file. I usually fell for this trick while searching for trial versions of programs on various sites and thinking that this unnamed file was the link to download them. Besides, the description is very suspicious: "Allow access to files and PCs anywhere", sounds like malware.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#33 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 10:31 AM
What file download on the front page are you talking about?

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#34 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 12:10 PM
I think d_dgjdhh needs to calibrate his/her monitor .

On a serious note, the site is coded on Windows and occasionally *nix. Although D does have an Apple, it's about twenty years old, and as far as I can tell he mainly uses it for upsetting people who've heard him rage against the Apple for years by saying "You know that I have an Apple now, right?". I can see the divisions fairly clearly on my monitor, but it is a pretty shiny new awesome monitor, with pretty sexy colour temps. Would higher contrast there be a good thing, in your opinion? Although I'm generally against gratuitous bordering, I'd say that that's one place where the borders are actually useful and look good, and that colour divisions aren't necessarily needed to distinguish between list items.

Babahara, I think you're looking at the ad box, right? Over on the right-hand side of the screen? I'm not a fan of the ads on the site either, I agree, but unfortunately they're a necessary evil.

Theorist
#35 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 2:38 PM
Reading this thread, I must be the only one who likes the new layout...colors and all.

All of my computers are Windows based, and differentiating between white and grey, is not an issue. Though my monitor setting may have something to do with that.

One things for sure, I don't miss that bright blue.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 2:52 PM
Although I'm generally against gratuitous bordering, I'd say that that's one place where the borders are actually useful and look good, and that colour divisions aren't necessarily needed to distinguish between list items.

I agree, and I would take that one step farther. The horizontal borders are a good enough division between topics and the grey-white shading is unnecessary, but not a bad thing in itself. However, I also think the forums right now look too unanchored, as if they were going to drift around the page. They could do with some vertical borders to visually anchor them in place.
#37 Old 2nd Sep 2013 at 12:18 AM
What the hell is an h311?

EDIT: Also can we move this thread to a different forum? I'm not seeing very many things in here that are related to TS2. :P
Scholar
#38 Old 2nd Sep 2013 at 2:48 AM
"H311" is "hell" spelt in such a way as to prevent most other forums from censoring the post. As HP previously stated thou, it isn't necessary here, we mostly adults damn it ; )
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 2nd Sep 2013 at 6:23 AM
Tbh, I just don't like the new layout in general. I'm very grateful that we at least temporarily have the option to use the classic one

I'm sure that it's different for different people, but just find the classic layout so much easier to navigate and work with. Like I said though, other people may find the new version much better.
Scholar
#40 Old 2nd Sep 2013 at 8:51 AM
I'm so used to new layout, I've been using it for a month, if not longer, I won't instantly remember the classic one anymore. But I can't figure out how to generate a new theme, does it require coding abilities? Because I have none.
Scholar
#41 Old 2nd Sep 2013 at 2:42 PM
I think d_dgjdhh needs to calibrate his/her monitor .

On a serious note, the site is coded on Windows and occasionally *nix. Although D does have an Apple, it's about twenty years old, and as far as I can tell he mainly uses it for upsetting people who've heard him rage against the Apple for years by saying "You know that I have an Apple now, right?". I can see the divisions fairly clearly on my monitor, but it is a pretty shiny new awesome monitor, with pretty sexy colour temps. Would higher contrast there be a good thing, in your opinion? Although I'm generally against gratuitous bordering, I'd say that that's one place where the borders are actually useful and look good, and that colour divisions aren't necessarily needed to distinguish between list items.

I had no idea there were even supposed to be colour divisions between posts on this site, and my monitor is less than two years old and calibrated correctly. I like bordering on sites (and general busyness) for navigational reasons, but am aware that puts me in a very small minority. Fortunately, there's enough small clues on the Native version of the colour scheme that after a couple of minutes, I could figure out the site flow again anyway.

(And in my case the computer has problems with the auto-scrolling downloads featurer on the main page, but that's probably because of a combination of using Opera due to my low-spec computer, and my computer having assorted odd "quirks").
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#42 Old 2nd Sep 2013 at 3:41 PM
Amairani - It depends on how complicated you want to get. If you just want to change some colours around, no, that requires nothing more than choosing some colours from a colour picker, and occasionally copy-pasting a variable from one box to another (you can, say, set the background colour, and then use a variable in other places to tell it "Just use the background colour for this" so if you decide you suddenly want to change it from a pink theme to green, change the background and all the other things set to the background colour will change too). That part is really easy and requires no special knowledge.

Some things are only customizable with CSS, though, and that requires a little bit more knowledge of where to find the things you want to change, and the syntax to use, so it does have a bit of a learning curve.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
#43 Old 2nd Sep 2013 at 7:37 PM
Well the changes to the site for me where quite a shock. Haven't been here in a while.

But, while I can't say I particularly like most of them, I don't dislike most of them either. Only thing I can truly complain about is the text. I don't know what it is about it, but it's hard for me to read. I have to lean in just inches from the screen to do so. Does anyone know the keyboard shortcut to make the font bigger on your browser? I don't think that's the problem because the font here is bigger than most sites which I read just fine, but I'm sure it could help.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#44 Old 2nd Sep 2013 at 7:41 PM
You can zoom in your browser using Ctrl + and Ctrl -; Ctrl 0 (numpad 0) resets your zoom.

Which version of the new theme are you using? You can check by scrolling down to the bottom of the page, to the dropdown marked Style: Bootstrap - (something)

You're quite right, Mordecai - this isn't TS2 related in the slightest. I'm not sure where we should be moving it to, though...

Field Researcher
#45 Old 2nd Sep 2013 at 7:46 PM
I was just in Bootstrap. I tried all three of the options, slate is the only one I can easily read with. I will miss the blue but it's better than having to remember to make the site bigger every time I visit.

Thanks.
Top Secret Researcher
#46 Old 2nd Sep 2013 at 7:48 PM
You can zoom in your browser using Ctrl + and Ctrl -; Ctrl 0 (numpad 0) resets your zoom.

Which version of the new theme are you using? You can check by scrolling down to the bottom of the page, to the dropdown marked Style: Bootstrap - (something)

You're quite right, Mordecai - this isn't TS2 related in the slightest. I'm not sure where we should be moving it to, though...

Site Help?

Simblr.
Asks are always open, even to anons. I will always reply to asks, and I do my best to be cordial/less snarky than usual.
Page 2 of 2