Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Nov 2011 at 7:15 PM
Default Fixing the PermaWood Stairs
Firstly I hope I'm posting in the right forum.

I noticed today during play (after having previously noticed and then forgot) that the PermaWood Stairs do not recolour correctly.

They can have the CASt tool used on them fine BUT...
They have four active channels but only one of them has any effect.

I assumed that EA simply hadn't updated the IMG files when they made stairs recolourable and was going to do it myself. I found out that thought was wrong though. The stairs DO have a correctly coloured and mapped mask but for some reason the game isn't using it.

I'm now guessing there is a link within the file that is not correct but I don't have any knowledge of how a stair package is structured to be able to check.

The thing I find odd is that if cloned with S3OC the preview image shows the stairs with the correct recolour regions but only includes the 2 original IMG files from the base game at the time when they weren't recolourable.
When cloning with TSRW the recolour mask is included with 4 IMG files total but has no effect on the mesh.

I've attached a picture to show the differences between S3OC and TSRW. S3OC is on the left and TSRW on the right. The TSRW preview is how the stairs actually appear in game.

Any thoughts on how to fix it?
Screenshots

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 15th Nov 2011 at 8:03 PM
clone the file with s3OC(as default replacement).
clone the file with TSRW'.
Delete all the files in the project contents(menu TSRW)
import the S3OC package files.
Check wat is wrong with the file, repair it and export.

Love making replacements this way, it is very easy
I would not upload a default replacement as sims3pack tho.
Could not check em myself, dont have WA
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#3 Old 15th Nov 2011 at 8:19 PM
I just want to clarify that the image you see in S3OC comes from a different source than TSRW. TSRW creates the preview from compositing the data, while S3OC simply displays the thumbnail that EA already made for the object.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Nov 2011 at 9:35 PM Last edited by Menaceman44 : 15th Nov 2011 at 10:40 PM.
Bloombase, these AREN'T from WA. They are from the base game. I'll attempt the method you have suggested though, thanks.

Thanks for the info, Inge.

ETA: Just realised there are two listings of each of the base game stairs in s3oc. There is a regular named version and then a version with "Comp" on the end. Which should I be using to clone?

ETA2: Can't follow your instructions Bloom. Whenever I try to import anything to TSRW I get an error message; "The method or operation is not implimented." I just downloaded a fresh copy of TSRW and S3OC is the latest public release.

ETA3: Starting a new TSRW project by using the import option with the file which DOESN'T have "Comp" on the end results in a package with no textures. Using the "Comp" file to begin with I get a recolourable package that still fails to read the mask. If I make the mask empty then it uses the material set to Pattern A. If I leave the mask as it is then it uses Pattern D.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Nov 2011 at 9:51 PM Last edited by Menaceman44 : 17th Nov 2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: spelling
The Import/Export options do not work in the Project Contents window of TSRW! I don't know why this is and I don't know where to find the info or ask about it over at TSR. The forums are down for "database conversion".
Anybody here know?
Also, I apologise for not editing my previous post to add this but it's been two days since the last reply and I want people to know I am still trying to investigate how to fix this.

#6 Old 17th Nov 2011 at 9:54 PM
What version of TSRW do you have? They work for me.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Nov 2011 at 10:17 PM
I have 2.0.28.0 and I have also tried with version 2.0.27.0. The options are always greyed out on the right-click menu and if I try and use the buttons I am told "The method or operation is not implimented."

#8 Old 17th Nov 2011 at 10:21 PM
So, with a project loaded, Edit, then Project Contents, then Export (and use "to .package")? That gives you that error?

Sockpuppet
#9 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 12:12 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 18th Nov 2011 at 12:32 PM.
i know CASp are not supported but it does work on objects.
You do need to clone a object first with TSRW, then menu/project contents and delete all the files.
When done you import the files from s3OC.
Sockpuppet
#10 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 12:29 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 18th Nov 2011 at 12:44 PM.
I opened the stairs and they are easy to fix.
Both the overlay and mask are saved as DXT1 while they should be saved as DXT5interpolatedalpha.
You might have to fiddle a bit with the channels on the mask texture.(like i did)
So when creating a fix you only have to include these 2 textures in your package.

I did notice some strange things on the mesh but i have no experience with them to detemine if they are build correct.
See screenshot, seems as it has duplicates orso(could be a TSRW display error tho...have not checked the S3OC file or the ingame stairs.)
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 3:27 PM Last edited by Menaceman44 : 18th Nov 2011 at 7:11 PM.
Great to know that they can be fixed but I still have to get my version of TSRW working first.

Following Bloom's instructions I first cloned the stairs with S3OC and then closed the S3OC program. Then I opened TSRW and created a new project and selected the same stairs as the base. I then went to the Edit Menu and chose Project Contents. A new window opens which lists all of the contents currently within the file with a little preview window for images. There is an Import button and an Export button along the top and these option both appear when right-clicking. I can't use the options on the right-click menu as they are greyed out. So, I deleted all of the contents by clicking on the first item, scrolling to the bottom of the list and then shift-clicking the last file before hitting the Remove button. Then when I attempt to use the Import button on the top of the window it throws the error I gave previously.

Inge, exporting works without a problem.

I'm going to see about a total uninstallation of TSRW and reinstall to see if it makes a difference.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 6:34 PM Last edited by Menaceman44 : 18th Nov 2011 at 7:13 PM.
Okay, I SERIOUSLY have NO idea why I cannot get the Import function to work in TSRW. I've just done a complete uninstall, including the files it leaves behind to remember username and TSR account stuff and it still wont work!
Am I missing a plugin or is there a setting I need to activate or something?!
I tried tracking down the relevant image files in the game files without cloning but the alterations I made had no affect in game what so ever.

I want to cry! This shouldn't be this difficult.

#13 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 7:29 PM
Can you send me the package in question and I'll try it in my version? It is possible, I guess, that there is something it doesn't like about your particular package. Letting someone who can *normally* do this try, would be able to work out where exactly the problem is. Email it to [email protected] if you have no better way of getting it to me.

Sockpuppet
#14 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 8:14 PM
well, you dont need TSRW and those import function to create your replacement package.

Just use TSRW and the TSRW stairs clone to fix the 2 textures.
you will end up with 2 custom testures, the overlay and the mask.
No need to export the files or anything, those 2 textures are all you need.

Then clone the stairs with s3OC(as replacement).
Open that package with S3PE and delete all the files except the overlay and mask texture.
At last right click each texture and choose replace and replace it with the custom texture you created earlier.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 9:11 PM
I'm really confused now.
Neither of the packages from S3OC (Comp version or not) include the images which need to be replaced. The version without "Comp" in its name has only a specular and a full colour stair texture and the version with "Comp" in its name just has a burnt texture image. The faulty images aren't in there to be replaced.

Which package are you after Inge? The one I tried in my game, the ones I cloned from S3OC or...?

#16 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 10:03 PM
The one you were trying to import in TSRW and failed to.

Sockpuppet
#17 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 10:06 PM
The needed textures are only in the Comp version, you need to clone that one.
You need to tick deepclone and untick the rename/renumber internally.
Then open with S3PE and delete everything but the overlay and mask texture.
Then replace them with your fixed ones.

Lol, im this close to finishing the file.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 10:37 PM
I thought it would have been much quicker if you released your version but I have now got a file with the correct images in it (well, fingers crossed).
Who knew a single tick box could cause me so much stress? I've never needed to use the Deep Clone option before so didn't realise it was needed until you just said.
I'll continue tomorrow (it's 10:30pm here) and report back, hopefully with good news.

As for TSRW, it still won't import from package even with this newly created S3OC clone. I did notice though that if I try to use the Import on a NON-stair object it does actually attempt it but then throws a hissyfit about the group numbers or names not matching and negative numbers or something. According to TSR that happens when the groups don't match in a mesh which is kind of understandable as I was trying to import stair data into a juice bar just to see what would happen.

Sockpuppet
#19 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 10:52 PM
i thought of uploading it but you wont forget after creating it yourself
I have no idea why you can not import from package....
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 19th Nov 2011 at 8:37 PM
Would you mind uploading your version please, Bloom?

Even the file I've made from the deep clone version doesn't have any effect in game.

I'm at a complete loss. I've made objects before as well as default texture and mesh replacements so why these stairs won't work I don't know.

I'll send the files to you in a mo, Inge.

Sockpuppet
#21 Old 19th Nov 2011 at 10:25 PM
This is my file but keep in mind i gave it a empty overlay.
The kinda gold metal thingy is no longer a overlay, i used it in one of the recolour channels.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  Bloom_StaircaseDeckQuaint_Fix.7z (2.4 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
#22 Old 19th Nov 2011 at 10:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
The kinda gold metal thingy.

Stair rod

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 19th Nov 2011 at 10:33 PM Last edited by Menaceman44 : 19th Nov 2011 at 11:09 PM.
That suits me fine as I was considering doing that myself before all the issues with it NOT WORKING! ):<

Thank you SO MUCH to the both of you for trying so hard to get this working for me.
My computer just isn't having it though so I am very greatful that you have taken the time to do this Bloom.

Sockpuppet
#24 Old 19th Nov 2011 at 11:07 PM
stair rod, thats it
Your welcome Menace
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#25 Old 19th Nov 2011 at 11:08 PM Last edited by Menaceman44 : 20th Nov 2011 at 9:24 PM.
I'm back!
Bloom have you tested your fix with the autorail feature on?
I've just run my game with your fix in and whilst the stairs now recolour, it appears to have altered how the railing recolours. The first channel of the railing appears to have no use now so by default the entire railing is white.

ETA: S'all right. I altered the channels myself and now the stairs still recolour correctly and the railing keeps its proper channels too.

Page 1 of 2