Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#151 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 12:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vixxen
Since many of you mentioned food, I remember another one. In every household, even if it's just 1 or 2 people, I make Sims cook a large serving and store the leftovers. I always need to have leftovers in the fridge - if they start running out of them, I quickly make someone cook more (possibly the Sim with the highest cooking skill in the household).

Me too! Except my sims cook for fun. Like the fridge in one household has about 15 pages of useless food, I'm not kidding.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#152 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 2:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bobyoud2001
Me too! Except my sims cook for fun. Like the fridge in one household has about 15 pages of useless food, I'm not kidding.

Sounds like they need to open a bakery or restaurant lol.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#153 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 2:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MileyTheSimmer
I always make Bella Goth have red everything as her outfits
I always start playing the Goths first when I open up Pleasantview too!
If a sim sleeps on the left/right side of the bed, then it stays their side of the bed as long as possible and their partner gets to sleep on the opposite side :D

Now this isn't sim related but I'm 100 percent sure I have O.C.D If only one person agreed with a comment, I must make sure it's an even number and sometimes I won't agree with a post because it's already on an even number and I don't want to ruin it

I don't think this is OCD I do the same thing with television volume... It must end with either a 0 or a 5.
Just odd quirks.

❈ "Well, you know what they say: if you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, come sit by me!" ❈
– Clairee Belcher, "Steel Magnolias"
Test Subject
#154 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 4:41 PM
Quirks or habits?

Maxmotive cola with motivedecay freezing cereal.... XD I do alot of those two things in my games... The two adjustments I've actually got burned into my brain due to constant use..

I agree that the potty training takes too long to do and is really inefficient for habitual players who like to play expediently.

I also tend to strive for redheads... And I'm also on a quest to duplicate my favorite alien child ever... So far, no dice...
Mad Poster
#155 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 6:05 PM
You can do a potty training "boot camp" if you like. Ideally, wait until Autumn, although this is not always possible depending on age and season span. You could use the weather controller to make it autumn, though. Make sure your adult has high aspiration and mood (or send them to the energiser). Make smart milk. Wear thinking cap. Feed toddler smart milk, immediately potty train. Feed more smart milk, or normal milk (this decreases bladder) and repeat.

For a slightly more cheaty way you can use the blender or other object to pull the toddler's bladder motive down low just as you sit them on to make them stay there longer.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#156 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 7:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TumaSims
I have ASMR so some of my sims tend to get large gardens which I allow to overgrow because the sound of weed cutting, weed pulling and watering can with the soft shuffle of footsteps gives me tingles. I don't do it for every house though.

I also cannot stand the default salsa radio station. All radios play metal unless it's a specific sims room then I go with their personality but no salsa.

What is ASMR?

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#157 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 12:37 AM
Oh, well, good to know. I thought maybe it was some kind of mod for the game and I had never heard of it. Thanks for answering so quickly!

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Forum Resident
#158 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 2:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iwillnotbreak
I do the complete opposite - I religiously fatten them up before work I feel guilty sending them to work/school on an empty stomach.

To be honest, I feel kinda guilty but I guess my cheapskatitude beats out my guilt.
Mad Poster
#159 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 4:55 AM
@smorbie1 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auton...ridian_response

Basically listening to certain sounds or watching certain motions gives me tingles and makes me relax. Youtube has tonnes of videos dedicated to triggering ASMR. Mine is mostly auditory (sounds of scissors, scratching etc) but some people are triggered by visual motions as well.

I get the opposite of that. Feet scuffing on the deck drives me mad.

Quote: Originally posted by SIMposiast
To be honest, I feel kinda guilty but I guess my cheapskatitude beats out my guilt.

I tried one of those challenges where you aren't allowed to control your sims at all and it became too easy because they were allowed jobs and school, so they just refreshed their needs there.
Mad Poster
#160 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 7:40 PM
I thought of another quirk! I do not at all like the corner showers not being placed in a corner. Even though I know that they only need access on one side to get into it, it just looks wrong to me to have the rounded side not be into open air. So if possible, those are always in a corner and no objects on the three tiles around it.

I placed one in a 1x1-nook in the wall in a vacation home, because I was tired of not having a shower on the ground floor and there was no room to expand more than that, but it irks me so much to see it like that :P

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Top Secret Researcher
#161 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 11:01 AM
I give illegitimate children in Veronaville the middle name of River just to remind me in case of disputes about heirs. I also give the middle name of Sky to children who bear the surname of a family they're not related to so I know to change the surname when they get married (e.g.. if the child's father bears the surname of his first wife and then his second wife, the baby's mother, takes his surname, which isn't actually his.). You may not get it but it helps me.
Lab Assistant
#162 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 9:30 PM Last edited by magicslippers : 30th Aug 2015 at 1:06 AM. Reason: typo
- I name my sims in a specific manner: For example if a sim's name was to begin with the letter A and his/her spouse's name was to begin with the letter C, their child will have a name starting with B. Get the idea? In those cases where there is no one-letter-meeting-point i use a dice to pick which letter i take (-> parent A + parent D = child B or C). The following siblings will have names starting with letters around the "meeting point".
- Each sim has a colour code, i usually have tons of kids and twins/triplets/quads so it helps in telling them apart, tho i used the colour codes before i used pregnancy hacks...
- Must have plants on every lot, and lots of em. I remember playing The Sims Bustin' Out spending all my money on outdoor plants
- Each family has an item that is passed trough generations. I usually pick some deco piece (plants ftw) but it can be e.g a chair too. As i advance with the family and gain/collect/hoard more valuable items, this one item reminds me of where it all started from
- Seems like many others have this one too: sims have their own side where they sleep on double beds. If they are on the wrong side i'll wake em up.
- Garden Gnomes

That's all for now
Field Researcher
#163 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 12:07 AM
This is really lame, but I still can't bring myself to have most of the premade sims die of old age. I didn't notice Mortimer was about to die once when I was younger, so when he did I had quit without saving, haha. Despite playing for years I've only let the Oldies, Olive Specter, Mary-Sue and Daniel die naturally. I currently have like 3 versions of Pleasantview from my pre-Ultimate Collection days so I may as well learn to let go with one of them. Plus I have a bunch of back ups anyway!
Lab Assistant
#164 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 1:24 AM
In fact this is a quirk from when I started playing the saga of The Sims, but I've always prefered to give my zodiac sign to my sims. I don't know exactly why, because I don't follow horoscopes, but I remember that the majority of my sims back then were libras. But that's no more, for variety.
Field Researcher
#165 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 8:41 PM
I noticed another quirk of mine yesterday, when I was extending a house - bathrooms (and only bathrooms) must have white doors. I have no idea why.
Lab Assistant
#166 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 8:57 PM
I don't like to block windows with furniture. I will delete/move the window before I will block it. It's ok if it sits below the window (like a dresser or couch).

The part of the tub/shower that has the faucet must go against the wall.

Child sims are not allowed to have their own tv or computer in their bedroom.

Single female sims never have a gaming console in their house but they may play games on the computer. I guess this is because I am a female and I have never been a console gamer. Sexist I know.

I can't stand those outdoor trashcans being used indoors like on some community lots. I always delete them or move them outside. I like to use those trash chutes that came with Apartment Life instead.

All skills (except for toddlers) are (intentionally) gained from the Education reward bookshelf because that is more realistic to me than them talking to themselves in a mirror. :-) Other than that, I hardly ever use the career reward objects.

I use a dice for randomization especially when decorating or else all lots would end up looking the same.

I always try to fulfill their LTW. If the LTW is not career related, I wait to see what their hobby is before selecting a career for them. I will either have them get a job or start their own business that is related to the hobby. At university, I choose the major also based on the LTW and which major would be best for a particular career. Again, if the LTW is not career related, I roll a dice to determine the major or else pick something related to their hobby as well.

I never let sims cheat on each other. If they are single romance sims, they can woohoo any other single sim but spoken for sims are off limits. Anytime a sim falls in love with another sim, I write their names down in a notebook and before ringing up a random date, I will check the notebook to see if their name is listed there. If it is, that sim is spoken for. Otherwise, I try to let sims be with who they are most attracted to.

I play my game in rotation style because I want to play every family/lot in the game and have the timelines close. Also, in each lot, I have a specific order in which I play. First, we (me & the sim) tackle the LTW. I will have them do an action that works toward satisfying the want. Then, we work on the rolled wants and will try to satisfy one of those next. Then, if they are in university, I will have them work on schoolwork (term paper, assignment, etc.). Otherwise, skilling is next. Typically starting with cooking. Next, comes an activity from what I call "the manual". I have a list of things that are possible to do in The Sims but that I would otherwise not pay much attention to. I'll have them do one of these activities next. Then they will do something around the house like check the mail, trim bushes, watch tv, etc. I want them to use every single usable object that I put into their house at one point or another and this is the way that I ensure that. Next is family/friends time. If there are other sims in the household I will have them interact with one of them. Otherwise, they head to the phone to stay in touch with friends outside the household. The final thing we do is basic needs. They will get to satisfy one basic need before the cycle starts all over again. And yes, I totally cheat with boolProp and am constantly dragging their needs up. When I am ready for them to eat, sleep, etc. I will drag the bar down. I also play with free will off always. I am an OCD control freak.

Everyone goes to university because I want them all to have a chance at the young adult life span. Also, I figure that even if the sim does not go into a traditional career track, an education is a good thing to have regardless (especially since it's free). I wish we could have the young adult span without them necessarily going to college. I love playing university but in reality, not everyone goes to college. All teens go to college after getting the "time to buy a birthday cake" message. I want to play every minute of the teen life span (each life span) as fully as possible. I wait until all household members are at home but then instead of having a party, the teen goes off to college with everyone waving them away.

I don't have a sim start a relationship or have a family unless they want to OR if it's the next item up for them from "the manual". Unless they are a romance sim. I won't have them get married if they don't want to.

I always have them flush and wash their hands after the bathroom, too. I typically don't fulfill two needs at a time so my sims aren't peeing and then getting in the shower.

If it's daytime but also time for them to sleep, I will always go for coffee/expresso first instead. If there is none, I will have them take a nap on a sofa or lounger. I wish they had the ability to "nap" on the bed without getting undressed or under the covers. No napping in the bed during the day unless they are pregnant or sick.

If a sim is attending university, they are only allowed to date other students. However, if the sim is adult age, they are allowed to date young adults. This is mostly due to the fact that I can't access the student directory from the main neighborhood lots otherwise I could see if a townie was a student or not.

I bet I have more quirks/rules for myself but since I'm not with my game at the moment I can't think of any others off the top of my head. I did say I was an OCD control freak.
Mad Poster
#167 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 9:04 PM
I can't stand rotations.
I don't care about my sims wants. They do what I want. If it hits their wants they are lucky.
I don't let my sims die. Maybe it is because there is too much death around me IRL.
Field Researcher
#168 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 4:47 PM
A few more:
If I use "forcetwins", I'm prone to name the children beginning with the same letter, names of the same length, rhyme, or even are simply variations of the same name (imagine introducing yourself and your twin as: "Hi I'm Jessie, and this is my twin sister Jessy"). Even better, when they reach child and later teen they're prone to be dressed either similarly if not identical.
Quote: Originally posted by Vixxen
Since many of you mentioned food, I remember another one. In every household, even if it's just 1 or 2 people, I make Sims cook a large serving and store the leftovers. I always need to have leftovers in the fridge - if they start running out of them, I quickly make someone cook more (possibly the Sim with the highest cooking skill in the household).
Same here, since the game really seems to reward serving food vs. just making a single meal for themselves.
I also cannot stand the default salsa radio station. All radios play metal unless it's a specific sims room then I go with their personality but no salsa.
If I could + this by 10,000, I would. (On a tangent, I powered on my very old computer that's no longer connected to the internet and realized The Sims Ultimate Collection was still installed; grabbed the CD and played it for nostalgia, imagine the surprise when going to a downtown lot with the jukebox and instead of the default disco station that I also got extremely tired of: "You're listening to Head Radio! FM STEREO." I literally LOLed.)
Lab Assistant
#169 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 8:14 PM
Some more quirks:
~ I colour code sims. I usually base it on what they have as everyday wear when they age up to child. This becomes their "favourite colour." All other clothing categories are set up in that colour, the sheets on their bed are that colour, their toys, etc. And when they move out their house is decorated in that colour (or, usually, that colour mixed with that their partner's favourite colour is)
~ I keep notes on the computer (I may have to go out and buy some cue cards and a file for them, because the kinesthetic learner in me likes the idea of something *physical* that other people have mentioned). They're organize by household, with a note on how much debt the house has, how much the property is worth (used to determine taxes), and any to-dos for the next couple of rotations. A lot of information is also stored via colour coding and font style (bold, underlined, etc.) because that makes me happy.
~I have a strict rotation, but... I go by where a house is in the neighbourhood... All the houses on Daisy Drive are played first (down the even side then up the odd side), etc. If a household moves, they get plonked down into a new spot in the rotation.
~Also, the founder's house can never be empty, and is used as a baseline to sync the rest of the neighbourhood up to ("the first day of winter is Wednesday")
Top Secret Researcher
#170 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 9:05 PM
I keep notes both on paper and on the computer but it's not really organized well but it works for me. Maybe that's my organization...disorganization. Whatever works for ya right?

I am going to keep *better* detail notes from now on, at least that's the plan. Thank you LibreOffice! (It's free and I love it)

I do a strict/loose rotation. I keep a list of what households there are in the hood and check them off when I play them for their week, and choose from among the rest who I want to play next, until I finish them all up. That means if I get to the last house and I really don't want to play them...I have to anyway. Or things will get out of wack (in my head at least). I do think about storyline first as sometimes that will depend a certain order to play them in to begin with but otherwise it's just who I want to play out of who is left that rotation.

My Simblr
He/They
Instructor
#171 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 10:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MileyTheSimmer
I always make Bella Goth have red everything as her outfits
I always start playing the Goths first when I open up Pleasantview too!
If a sim sleeps on the left/right side of the bed, then it stays their side of the bed as long as possible and their partner gets to sleep on the opposite side :D

Now this isn't sim related but I'm 100 percent sure I have O.C.D If only one person agreed with a comment, I must make sure it's an even number and sometimes I won't agree with a post because it's already on an even number and I don't want to ruin it

Oh Snap! Now I can't agree or find the funny without making it an odd number for you.
Lab Assistant
#172 Old 30th Aug 2015 at 1:12 AM
I noticed when i store leftovers they will remain untouched as i always make a new meal.
Page 7 of 7