Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 5:20 PM
Default How to upload Gb files of Sims CC?
I couldn't find the original thread, but someone made a topic about wanting to share CC, well I was able to archive the entire BPS website back before everything got deleted. I am trying to upload them on to a website to share, does anyone know where I can do this? The Size is about 3 gb.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 6:49 PM
First do you have permission to do so and if yes then email the one who runs the Graveyard to find out how to get them uploaded.

At the moment its under construction so check back latter. http://sims2graveyard.com/

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 9:34 PM
Permission? I did try to email a few creators...I got a few responses back but still waiting on the others. How can i contact creators that havent been active for years?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 10:13 PM
That is something you will have to take up with the ones who runs the Graveyard.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 10:14 PM
Theorist
#6 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 10:41 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 26th Aug 2015 at 11:11 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by labellavienna
Permission? I did try to email a few creators...I got a few responses back but still waiting on the others. How can i contact creators that havent been active for years?

There is no legal requirement to obtain permission from Sims "creators" to repost or distribute their creations in any way you see fit. This game is no different from any other computer game and the only entity that has legal rights to anything in the Sims franchise is the publisher, in this case Electronic Arts - and they don't seem to care how their game's content is distributed, because all of it makes the game more popular and translates into more sales. Anything players create and upload essentially becomes public domain.

The only thing that that appears to make this game different is the large number of players who for some reason think that their "work" is actually work and not play and who somehow think they can cash in on the game's worldwide popularity. Actually, I suspect that, initially, the number of players who claimed some sort of legal right to their "work" in regard to the Sims franchise was probably relatively small, but over the years many others have gotten on that "It's Mine!" bandwagon because it sounds good to them that they can control things they created, even though they have no legal right to it.
I also suspect that arguments between creators, both online and real-world, probably contributed to this "It's mine and you can't use it!" attitude. It's a reflection of the demographics of a large number of people who play this game, and that's all I'll say in regard to that. They know who they are and who I'm referring to (wink, wink).

Then there's the issue of "giving credit". Nothing wrong with that, if feasible, but it is only done as a matter of courtesy, both to the "creators" as well as the potential users so they know where stuff comes from, in case they want to avoid certain Mods, CC, don't wish to cater to certain "creators", or some other reason. But it is only a matter of courtesy, not a legality.

OK, let the flamewar begin. Who will be the first to say, "I spent 50 hours creating this Mod and I'll be a monkey's uncle if some pissant is going to post it at his/her website without my permission!!!!!!"
OK, so a monkey's uncle you are.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 10:44 PM
If creators have been gone for years I would not worry. If creators are active or have only been gone a short while try and contact them. Even so creators do not own any rights to their creation it is simply being polite. EA owns everything, unfortunately.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#8 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 11:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
That is something you will have to take up with the ones who runs the Graveyard.

Correct, and this really gets to the heart of the matter as to why there is such a hubris about "giving credit" and posting material from creators who may not want their stuff reposted at certain sites.
It is really up to the individual websites whether to honor such requests.

As I stated in my previous post, I'm all for giving credit, because it helps of keep track of where stuff comes from, which is useful for a number of reasons. That said, it is still only a matter of courtesy to give credit, not a legal requirement, because no one in the Sims community, other than EA, has any legal right to anything made for the game.

As far as catering to some creators' wishes that their material can only be posted to certain sites, they do not have a legal right to issue such limitations.

In my opinion, the ideal website would insist on giving credit whenever possible, but would not cater to creators' requests not to post their material. Creators have no legal right to issue cease-and-desist orders, that's just silly.

So, as stated above, it's up to the individual website policies.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 27th Aug 2015 at 2:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
There is no legal requirement to obtain permission from Sims "creators" to repost or distribute their creations in any way you see fit. This game is no different from any other computer game and the only entity that has legal rights to anything in the Sims franchise is the publisher, in this case Electronic Arts - and they don't seem to care how their game's content is distributed, because all of it makes the game more popular and translates into more sales. Anything players create and upload essentially becomes public domain.

The only thing that that appears to make this game different is the large number of players who for some reason think that their "work" is actually work and not play and who somehow think they can cash in on the game's worldwide popularity. Actually, I suspect that, initially, the number of players who claimed some sort of legal right to their "work" in regard to the Sims franchise was probably relatively small, but over the years many others have gotten on that "It's Mine!" bandwagon because it sounds good to them that they can control things they created, even though they have no legal right to it.

Then there's the issue of "giving credit". Nothing wrong with that, if feasible, but it is only done as a matter of courtesy, both to the "creators" as well as the potential users so they know where stuff comes from, in case they want to avoid certain Mods, CC, don't wish to cater to certain "creators", or some other reason. But it is only a matter of courtesy, not a legality.

:lovestruc
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 27th Aug 2015 at 2:46 AM
Thanks for all your helpful tips! I do try to give credit to creators with appropriately titled folders, but not sure if I was suppose to go the extra mile since The Sims community has been known to be very strict about these things. If it doesn't matter then I guess I'll just try my best to email them and upload everything on to a Box account. Thanks again for the advice!
Theorist
#11 Old 27th Aug 2015 at 3:18 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 27th Aug 2015 at 5:05 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by labellavienna
Thanks for all your helpful tips! I do try to give credit to creators with appropriately titled folders, but not sure if I was suppose to go the extra mile since The Sims community has been known to be very strict about these things. If it doesn't matter then I guess I'll just try my best to email them and upload everything on to a Box account. Thanks again for the advice!

There's also "The Booty" website, although there doesn't appear to be a method to contact the admins: http://svt.paysites.mustbedestroyed.org:8080/

Whatever you do, burn those 3+ Gigs onto a DVD and stash it somewhere. Even if there is no website currently willing or able to take the stuff, there might very well be one in the future. You are now probably one of only a small handful of people who archived the contents of that entire site.