Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jan 2015 at 10:54 PM
Default Running a fish shop
I don't mean aquariums or fish and chips but caught fish. Is there a good way to display them or some custom shelves anyone can recommend or how do you do it?

Right now I am using the chiller cases with the magitray and placing 3 smaller fish to a tray-the problem is not only are their restock signs across the road but as they restock the fish isn't even showing up. I've only been there and opened once and thought I'd ask if there is a better way to sell fish. They don't yet have enough fish for the SW packing station, should I simply wait until they do and sell it that way? I would rather just sell them seperatly, in real life most people don't buy a whole box of fish in one go, well some might but I wouldn't.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 13th Jan 2015 at 11:06 PM
I use the display cases or the packing station. Depending on the room.

Edit: I never had problems with the restocking sign.
Theorist
#3 Old 13th Jan 2015 at 11:49 PM
I put them on the invisible magisplay recolor on a table, and they both sell and restock no problem. In the past, I've put them directly in the bakery case (it ends up being two to a shelf) and they restock no problem. Maybe it's that you're using the chiller case and the magisplay?

Do you have a picture of the problem?

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Undead Molten Llama
#4 Old 13th Jan 2015 at 11:56 PM
I've never had much luck selling single fish, in the sense that they sell too quickly and a lot of time is spent restocking, when there are enough fish to restock. To me it's just annoying. When I've done it, though, I did it like esmeiolanthe did, on a table, not with the chiller case. It looks kind of icky, but since Sims don't seem to be concerned about sanitation and spoiled food and all that....

Personally, I'd wait until they have enough for the packing station, and enough packed crates in inventory to last for a while, so that there's always stock on hand. Although sometimes that can be difficult if money is an urgent need.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 12:44 AM
I was wondering if it was the combo of tray and chiller cases. I used the trays because 3 small fish fit nicely onto one and that looks nicer in the chiller cases, but one day of having signs across the road and fish vanishing was too annoying. I didn't take a picture. Maybe I will have to only use one fish per chiller shelf. That's a whole lot of room taken up for not a lot of stock. The whole fish straight on a table sounds so unsanitary! I know they don't care, but I do!

The two brothers have been fishing all through summer and still don't have enough fish for the packing station. One thing with my game is that since I put on slower skilling, fishing badges take forever. They are both on bronze badge. Does some skill help with fishing badges?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#6 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 12:55 AM
I got four fish to a case, two to a shelf with the small ones and one to a shelf, two to a case with the big ones. It doesn't look that bad. Just pretend they're packed in with ice around.

I don't know about if there's a skill tied to fishing or not. Sorry.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Undead Molten Llama
#7 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 1:12 AM
I think they do catch more fish faster with higher badges. Also fewer boots. And of course they catch different kinds of fish with higher badges...Which sometimes is actually a bad thing, with the packing stations, since I think you need...6?...of one kind of fish to fill it? If they're always catching different kinds, then it's more difficult to accumulate batches of 6 of one kind, although certain kinds of bait are more attractive to certain kinds of fish, so that helps a bit.

But in the end, my most successful fishing businesses are owned by large families, so that everyone child and up is out there fishing their little hearts out. You can also use SW's employee fishing mod, if you've got a pond on the same lot as the business. But then, you have to pay the employees, of course.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 1:13 AM Last edited by Rusty55 : 14th Jan 2015 at 1:30 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Does some skill help with fishing badges?

Sims who are good at cleaning will gain enthusiasm for mother nature faster. This is why I use Rebecah's lawnmower and washer and dryer. The higher the enthusiasm in nature the better they fish.

When using the chiller cases I place 2 small ones on top shelf and one big one on bottom shelf. It doesn't look so empty that way.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 1:20 AM
Watch it on the ground if you have a kitteh though. XD
Undead Molten Llama
#11 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 1:22 AM
No, fish don't spoil, which is kind of...odd. It's just that it looks icky to have fish for sale lying out in the open with no visible means of keeping them cold. Someone needs to make a display thingy that looks like a bed of chipped ice or something, one that can hold multiple fish and be placed on a counter or table or display shelf thing. Or, maybe turn one of the game's freezer cases into a "fillable" object that fish could be placed in. One with lots of slots because, really, those chiller cases take up a lot of room and don't have many slots in them. Which just makes them a pain in the butt to keep stocked, especially if you're running a business that doesn't have employees.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 2:51 AM
I know they don't spoil, I just don't like seeing them out.

They only have a dog.

So maybe I don't need the magitray in the chiller case to get more in there. I thought I did.

A freezer full of chipped ice would be great. >hint hint<

This is a small Plasticbox lot so no room for a pond. I'll get them to study cleaning.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#13 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 9:28 AM
The restocking sign moving is a known bug and there's a fix for it.

http://modthesims.info/d/149574

It was patched in the Family Fun Stuff Pack, but if you don't have the SP, they never patched it otherwise Arrogant EA assuming we all buy everything they put out.

I think it doesn't fix already misplaced signs but it prevents it happening again. And there will be no restock interaction, only if you go and find the sign and click on that (or use the sim menu action).

There's also an edited chiller case linked on that page which takes 12 items instead of 8.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 10:27 AM
I have every EP and SP since they first came out and I am all patched, so that's really weird. I'll try the fix thanks.
Which page has the edited chiller case?

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 11:06 AM
Same here Jo, all patches, EPs and SPs and the sign still wanders all over the place.

I've got a little pet food place I sell fish from using the trays. Doesn't seem quite so revolting if it's for the animals
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 12:19 PM
I have a crazy cat lady feed the local strays too by leaving fish on the front lawn. There's a gray fluffy thing that ought to be the size of a barn by now
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#18 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 12:32 PM
Okay, good to know I'm not the only one, I was wondering if I should check that the patch took. I know I installed and patched, installed and patched in order last time I installed.

You might want the mod Charity put out that makes the fish filling for the cat. https://www.modthesims.info/d/542654

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 12:45 PM
Good idea Jo. Wish there was something like that in real life. My own cat can eat a fish that big and come back for more too
Mad Poster
#20 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 2:04 PM
Hmm strange, with that hack it seems to fix it for me and the hack is only some lines from FFS. Perhaps they broke it again in a later EP or stuff pack.

This is the expanded shelves thing, I'm sure it includes the chiller cabinet. My chiller cabinets hold 6 items on each shelf.

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=137561

If they look too crowded, as said, I usually put some small deco item in between the inventory items and then delete the deco item when I'm done.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#21 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 9:08 PM
Thanks, and heres a tip since seeing you use a deco item you might not know it:

Press the M key and it jumps your object along the available slots without using a deco item or placing lots of items and then removing some. Jessa gave that tip out a couple of weeks back https://www.youtube.com/user/TheJessaChannel and I was like what! That's a thing! I'm addicted to it now, I can actually use the 'Moar Slots' mod to it's full effect. I was placing sims Christmas cards or other tiny deco on the back of their kitchen benches and was still able to cook.

I'd seen that mod sometime before, I might even have it. I'll have to go have a hunt. This is what happens when you have a thousand mods, you forget what you have. :/ What does locked tiles mean?

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#22 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 10:17 PM
Oooh! Thank you! That will save me a lot of time And I love that it works for kitchen counters too.

Locked tiles I didn't know either but it's basically the tiles where the car arrives don't let you put items on them even with moveobjects. I don't care about that because I don't want to put items in the middle of the road anyway so I didn't grab it.

If you're using a more slots mod that could be causing the restock sign misplacement as it says on the more items page that it can cause it to happen more often. But I haven't seen it happen at all since I installed the experimental fix.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#23 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 10:41 PM
You're welcome. I didn't even know I had slots at the back of the kitchen bench until I tried the m key on it.

Ah, you know I hadn't seen the misplaced restock signs for some time and then it started happening again, perhaps it is the side effect of Moar Slots. I'm using the newest version http://hafiseazale.livejournal.com/45811.html Far more slots than the old Lord Darcy mod. I'll still try the fix and if that doesn't work, try the fish without the tray. It does seem to happen more if I am using move objects or putting things onto the OMPS so maybe the tray is similar.

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#24 Old 15th Jan 2015 at 12:14 AM
Just a random little tidbit I discovered a while back about having a good fisherman - Have a Plantsim and an indoor pond. I know it sounds weird but some ice fishermen fish from inside little sheds right? Anyway, if you have Snapdragon bouquets (which I love if you haven't read any of my last posts) and a sunlamp, the Plantsim can fish continually since none of their motives will ever go down. Only thing you would have to worry about would be the pond freezing in winter.

The moon so bright shows me the way
Deep in the graveyard beside her I lay
Knowing she'll keep me safe from all harms
Though six feet apart, I lay in her arms...
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#25 Old 15th Jan 2015 at 12:38 AM
It's a new hood so no snap dragons yet, but I do have a plantsim. He is rather busy with his farm but he does have one son who has turned child and another about to so if I put them to work on the garden I could have him fish and sell to the two fishermen perhaps. There is no winter there it's a tropical/sub tropical island with two summers, one Autumn and one spring. Why would you do it inside? He just made enough money to afford a sunlamp a couple of days back, I was tired of him passing out in the crops at about 3am. I could move the sun lamp with move objects to be over him and have him fish. Thanks for the idea. Originally I was going to cure him, but he's knowledge and quite happy with being a plant so i left him be.

~Call me Jo~
Page 1 of 2