Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 5:08 AM
Default Crime of Passion
Here's a problem I can't solve. While he was in college, Spencer Larrea wrote a novel: Crime of Passion. He graduated, bought a house, married, and wrote his second novel: Wicked Dreams. As his hobby is Film and Literature, he frequently rolls a wish to Read a Novel; but the only novel in his bookshelf is Wicked Dreams. It seemed the first novel is lost.

I went back to his old college, and got another student, Genesis, to read a novel that she found on the shelf: Crime of Passion, by Spencer Larrea. Then she used Phaenoh's phone book to look up Spencer's number. She called him a couple of times, and then invited him over. Here's where I come in: I put the college bookcase into her inventory, and she gave it to Spencer as a gift. He thanked her effusively, and then went home. Problem solved? No.

When he got home, Spencer put the new bookcase in his living room, and then tried to Read a Novel. Only Wicked Dreams was available. The gifted bookcase did not contain Crime of Passion. Back in college, I bought a new bookcase for Genesis, and the brand new bookcase contained Crime of Passion.

Must the novel stay in the college for ever? Has anyone any useful suggestions? How can Spencer get back his first novel?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 5:19 AM
Take the book out to be read, then cancel the action and put the book in the student's inventory. Give the book itself to Spencer. He should then be able to place it on his own bookcase.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 5:22 AM Last edited by music2ologist : 28th Jul 2015 at 6:17 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Take the book out to be read, then cancel the action and put the book in the student's inventory. Give the book itself to Spencer. He should then be able to place it on his own bookcase.

I'll give that a go, though I foresee difficulties. When I tell her to stop reading, she will put the book back on the shelf, being a neat creature. Perhaps I could get one of her slob friends to put it on the floor. I'll try that.

[Later] Yes! That worked. The slob put the novel on the floor, and I put it into Genesis' inventory. Then she called Spencer, to give him his second gift. Back home, I had to put the novel on the coffee table for Spencer to read, and put away. Now both novels are available to him. Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately the plot has now been skewed. Between Spencer and Genesis three lightning bolts sprang up. While unplayable, Spencer initiated the first kiss, and now they are in love. I wanted Spencer to be my only faithful husband, and now that endangered species is extinct. Ah well, when Genesis graduates she can have the bungalow next door to Spencer's family home, and be the Other Woman.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 6:17 AM
Turn the bookcase around so that she can't put it back And to clarify on what's happening, books are tied to the lot, not to a bookshelf. That's why you can buy a new bookshelf, and the book is still there.

Also, an interesting detail on this. You can only read home-written novels that have been placed in the bookshelf. I tend to have my Sims keep the copy they get somewhere else, and the books aren't available to read from the shelf. Neat detail, if you think about it They can read the copy sitting around though, if you let them.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 6:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
Turn the bookcase around so that she can't put it back

Yes, that would work too. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm glad to have my novelist gather his full list. He's working on The Heist. It shoud be a good thriller.

Now, if only he could make money at it! I've had this glitch for years: the complimentary copy of the new novel arrives, but the phone does not ring, and no royalties are paid. I wonder whether Phaenoh's phone book is something to do with this?
Link Ninja
#6 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 6:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by music2ologist
Yes, that would work too. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm glad to have my novelist gather his full list. He's working on The Heist. It shoud be a good thriller.

Now, if only he could make money at it! I've had this glitch for years: the complimentary copy of the new novel arrives, but the phone does not ring, and no royalties are paid. I wonder whether Phaenoh's phone book is something to do with this?

Glad you got him his book back. I will say that I have Phaenoh's phone book and have had royalties paid out for written novels so it's probably not a glitch tied to that Cc mod object.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Field Researcher
#7 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 7:13 AM
so if you accidentally left a couple novels in an apartment lot is there any way to get them back? the lot hasn't been played since.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 7:19 AM
No. Apartment lots reset back to template once you move out, so those disappeared when you moved out. But if you want you could install my faster novels mod (if you have FT, otherwise get Squinges) and re-write them. The shortest I have in the thread is 4 hours, but you could set it to one hour with SimPE.

Field Researcher
#9 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 7:34 AM
thought so, oh well they weren't very important, one was basically a horrible fan fiction description
thanks though
Theorist
#10 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 11:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by music2ologist

Unfortunately the plot has now been skewed. Between Spencer and Genesis three lightning bolts sprang up. While unplayable, Spencer initiated the first kiss, and now they are in love. I wanted Spencer to be my only faithful husband, and now that endangered species is extinct. Ah well, when Genesis graduates she can have the bungalow next door to Spencer's family home, and be the Other Woman.

Sounds like you have some potential drama ahead...have fun! I just love when we as players have a set story/goal/plan, and our Sims do something to the contrary.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
#12 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 12:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PlatinumPlumbbob
Given that Genesis is a college student, she can just use the telephone and use the campus directory.

I had no idea that existed. I always use the computer to choose a mayor. Fascinating! That would however not have worked here, since it only has YAs (at least in my game), and Spencer was no longer a YA.

Mad Poster
#14 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 3:42 PM
I've never had a Sim wish to change major either, and if I did, I wouldn't have read the description But it's neat, good to know it exists. Although Phaenohs phonebook makes it rather obsolete, since it can reach all Sims, not just YAs.

Inventor
Original Poster
#16 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 6:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
I've never had a Sim wish to change major either, and if I did, I wouldn't have read the description

When my teens arrive in college, I send them first to Claim Door, and then Lock Door. There are plenty of sources of fun around, so they fill up their fun needs until the cook has set out lunch. They all have a three-o'clock lecture, and by five they are back. I send them all off to a community lot, usually the college book shop to buy mobile phones and check out out the local talent. By the time they return home for bath and dinner, most of them will have in their Wants panel a desire to declare a major. They get a thousand aspiration points for getting their own way.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 1st Aug 2015 at 7:11 AM
There is a mod to sell copies of written books in an OFB store, linked below. There is also a method you can use to make copies of written books for selling/giving away to other sims involving putting the book on a coffee table in the inventory (but I can't remember exactly how it works). You could probably find out if you're interested.

Edited: Link to sellable novels for OFB business: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,14598.0.html Its the last one on the list.

Edit 2: End table book copying method: http://www.modthesims.info/archive/...p?t-449341.html

They should use The Sims 2 in psychology....it could work wonders.
Inventor
Original Poster
#18 Old 1st Aug 2015 at 8:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bloodstained_black_lace
There is a mod to sell copies of written books in an OFB store, linked below. There is also a method you can use to make copies of written books for selling/giving away to other sims involving putting the book on a coffee table in the inventory (but I can't remember exactly how it works). You could probably find out if you're interested.

Edited: Link to sellable novels for OFB business: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,14598.0.html Its the last one on the list.

Edit 2: End table book copying method: http://www.modthesims.info/archive/...p?t-449341.html

Thanks for the suggestions. I read both of those links, but each method contained some doubt or difficulty. I'll just keep hoping that, one day, my novellist's phone will ring.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 1st Aug 2015 at 2:27 PM
There's no reason whatsoever to hope for that if you don't change anything. You should troubleshoot it.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 2nd Aug 2015 at 1:21 AM
Music2ologist, the sellable novels mod works perfectly. I've been using it for years.

They should use The Sims 2 in psychology....it could work wonders.
Inventor
Original Poster
#21 Old 21st Oct 2015 at 11:52 AM
Rejoice with me! After failing, for perhaps eight years, to Sell a Great Novel, today my novelist's phone rang. He was paid $2980, and a blue van turned up to deliver a complimentary copy. Great delight!

What had made the difference? After searching and searching through my Downloads folder for whatever was causing the failure, I found a package called CJ-OldNovels. I had no idea what it was, but I dragged it out anyway - and then Atticus sold a Great Novel! I am so pleased, I can't stop hooting.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 21st Oct 2015 at 1:28 PM
See? Troubleshooting works! I'm glad you finally fixed it.