Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jul 2015 at 4:09 PM
Default List of Terms of use for Creators ????
Hi Folks,
I have been working on this project that started out as a mere Sc4 terrain in Simcity 4, and then I began to decorate, (I have some pics of progress in the Creators Feedback Forum River Heights is the name}. Not quite sure yet where I am going with this, but originally was going to upload a terrain, then a decorated neighborhood, (but I have a couple stealth hoods attached so not sure how people feel about that, } so then I had a few lot ideas so I was considering adding those, but not sure how to go about finding sharable custom content. I know many folks use just game stuff and no cc at all in uploads, but a few of my lot ideas may require some cc .. Is there a list of creators that are okay with sharing there content ? Could we create one ? I have never done any uploading at all so I am sure there are quite a few that people do use often in there lots. I would of course give all credits Or a few starter ideas that are known to be ok ? Thanks for any ideas
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st Jul 2015 at 10:57 PM
Most creators on here are fine with their items being shared for free on here or on other free sites. If you are only after a handful of items you do best to find the item and then see if the creator has a TOU.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#3 Old 22nd Jul 2015 at 12:26 AM
If you upload here Jo, that's what you are required to do I think (tell me about it, I'm chasing down CC for Polgannon atm).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 22nd Jul 2015 at 1:02 AM
Some people don't even have a TOU, but I have seen their items shared and I have uploaded cc in lots from those types of creators with no issues.
Taking a look at your own page maxon, you have no visible TOU. If someone wanted to use your wallpapers in a lot on here with a link and credit they could. I'm Fairly sure a creator has to state no uploading in lots or no redistributing my work otherwise no statement is taken as a free TOU.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#5 Old 22nd Jul 2015 at 3:49 AM
That's how it works Jo - if there is no TOU then that creator's content is considered ok to share. (There's always a slight possibility that the creator could come and say "Hey, I don't want my stuff shared".. dunno what would happen in that case.) If someone has a TOU stating that their content isn't to be included in lots or redistributed then that content needs to be marked as "required but not included" and linked to.

Re the OPs list: There is a list somewhere (in the Wiki I think?) that lists fansites and there are little check boxes that tell you what you can do with the content from each site. I tried to find it. I may try to find it again but make no promises. (My brain needs a, ok- my whole body needs a break after the last couple of weeks.) I don't know how up to date that list is though.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 22nd Jul 2015 at 3:58 AM
Good to get the official seal of approval on that. Plus it's easier to use creators items from MTS, as most of the time the upload wizard puts their name and items in the list for you.

~Call me Jo~
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 22nd Jul 2015 at 11:30 AM
It's Creator Policieswiki, but bear in mind that it was made as a cheat sheet for queue mods and there are no guarantees that it's up to date. We also take the view that if someone has let their site, CC and ToU all go offline, they probably don't care enough any more to worry about whether or not it's okay to include their stuff.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#8 Old 22nd Jul 2015 at 2:36 PM
Well, that explains why I was having trouble finding it @Nysha
Silly me. Thanks for linking to it.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9 Old 22nd Jul 2015 at 4:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Taking a look at your own page maxon, you have no visible TOU. If someone wanted to use your wallpapers in a lot on here with a link and credit they could. I'm Fairly sure a creator has to state no uploading in lots or no redistributing my work otherwise no statement is taken as a free TOU.

I think you're right. I do have a TOU somewhere - it's basically 'use as you like but no paysites' except I'm going to ask that Polgannnon be more restricted. Because it's a much more complex piece of work than anything else.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#10 Old 22nd Jul 2015 at 7:36 PM
A list wouldn't really work. Some creators are okay with some things being used, and not others. And they may change their mind at some point and change their policy. Yeah, it's a lot of work to check every item one wants to use, but that's the deal if you want to use CC on things you share. There are no shortcuts. You need to find the creator of each item, and check their policy.

I for one think it's good that it's a pain in the neck, because then people think twice about using CC.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 23rd Jul 2015 at 3:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
A list wouldn't really work. Some creators are okay with some things being used, and not others. And they may change their mind at some point and change their policy. Yeah, it's a lot of work to check every item one wants to use, but that's the deal if you want to use CC on things you share. There are no shortcuts. You need to find the creator of each item, and check their policy.

I for one think it's good that it's a pain in the neck, because then people think twice about using CC.

Good points!!!!!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 6:52 PM
Anyone know how to find TOU for TSR creators.?