Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 3:54 PM
Default Do you have any weird quirks regarding gameplay?
I just found that I make all of my sim men sleep on the side of the bed closest to the bedroom door.
It feels off if they don't, for some reason or another.

Do you have any special quirks that you do in the game? Do tell!

❈ "Well, you know what they say: if you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, come sit by me!" ❈
– Clairee Belcher, "Steel Magnolias"
Advertisement
Link Ninja
#2 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 3:59 PM
I always take a snapshot of the cut screen where a uni student grabs a buddy and takes a picture during graduation. I don't know why! They are always grainy and I don't have any pose control of who is in the background - maybe for memories sake?

Every sim must have a espresso machine.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 4:03 PM
I also let the carpool vehicles/school bus leave before my sim pulls off the driveway. I hate to see the animation go to waste by the car just vanishing.

❈ "Well, you know what they say: if you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, come sit by me!" ❈
Mad Poster
#4 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 4:36 PM
Nope. All my quirks are perfectly normal.

Charmful, I often wish the game would take that snap and file it in inventory. I seldom have FRAPS on so I don't have any grad pictures of any of my graduates; it's very sad.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#5 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 4:57 PM
I've always got to have that one horribly grouchy child in my game, but have them be super chill too.
I always have a favourite child, so I nearly always end up neglecting the rest of the family...
Mad Poster
#6 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 6:19 PM
I have OCD and for many years used the game as kind of release valve. I count for almost everything from what they eat for dinner to clothes they buy. Many people use a die to randomize: I just count

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#7 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 7:40 PM
Mummy teaches babies to walk, Daddy teaches them to talk.
They don't potty train until they've learned walking and talking.

It's a weird habbit and I can't remember why I do this, I just do. Even if Daddy has a want to teach baby to walk, chances are I'll probably not notice until half way through Mummy teaching baby.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 7:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bigsimsfan12
Mummy teaches babies to walk, Daddy teaches them to talk.
They don't potty train until they've learned walking and talking.

It's a weird habbit and I can't remember why I do this, I just do. Even if Daddy has a want to teach baby to walk, chances are I'll probably not notice until half way through Mummy teaching baby.

Yas! I have a similar quirk – out of three basic skills (walking, talking, being potty trained), 2 of them have to be done by one parent and at least one skill has to be by the other parent.
I have done that for a very long time already, guess it's because every premade sim (as far as I know) have memories of both parents teaching them skills.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 7:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kasparlaks
I just found that I make all of my sim men sleep on the side of the bed closest to the bedroom door.

I don't know what that's about either but I make Him Indoors sleep on the door side too. I guess if it comes to it, he'll be the first one taken by the mass murderer.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Field Researcher
#10 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 8:10 PM
I never potty train toddlers. And I never have my sim serve food on the table, he/she just puts the food in the fridge as leftovers.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 8:43 PM
When my child ages up to a teen, the first thing the new teen does is buy clothing. (Though that may not be a real quirk ... the game frequently makes some odd pairings with the separates.)

All college-bound user-made teens MUST get at least two scholarships before going to college.

All houses with more than three Sims must at least have two toilets. I have no qualms about using an outdoor toilet (and have used the converted Castaways foliage quite a few times). Just two toilets.

I don't care for dormers when I build. I know others like them, and their houses look great, but I don't. I think in the nine years I've played this game (seven years of fiddling around with building stuff, though I've become much more involved with it over the last two), I think I MIGHT have used dormers once, if that.

Most of the time, I ban dogs from lots. I don't particularly dislike dogs .... just find their behavior annoying in-game, and I'd rather not get too crazy with mods anymore.

I think many of you know how much I love the Charlatan ... he is banned from every lot I can think of.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 8:48 PM
Yas! I have a similar quirk – out of three basic skills (walking, talking, being potty trained), 2 of them have to be done by one parent and at least one skill has to be by the other parent.
I have done that for a very long time already, guess it's because every premade sim (as far as I know) have memories of both parents teaching them skills.

Haha I think that's why I do it. Parents have to teach at least 1 skill! Unless they don't know they have a child. I've even been known to make sims selectable to teach toddler skills if they live in a different house to their child. (Unless they're not interested in raising him/her etc)

Also as someone else said, I don't potty train my sims. Or at least I didn't use to, I've been trying to do it more often now, especially because they can easily learn walking and talking within a day of growing up. I'd say still only 45% of my sims are potty trained. Thank God they automatically learn when they turn into children

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Test Subject
#13 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 9:37 PM
My Sims usually have high cooking skills, because I force them to watch TV. :D
Theorist
#14 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 9:42 PM

Do you have any special quirks that you do in the game? Do tell!

I actually laughed out loud at this one. I'm the same way with my Sim couples...and actually get upset if the male gets in on the wrong side of the bed (obviously the side not nearest to the door). And as an added laugh, I have no idea why this is a preference, as in real life I'm the one who sleeps closest to the bedroom door and not my husband.

As for other quirks...
- Sim children aren't allowed out at night without an older relative or family friend accompanying them.
- All businesses must have realistic operating hours.
- Parents must meet a teen Sim's significant other, prior to them going on a date for the first time.
- All neighborhoods must have at least three parks, a community center, library, coffee shop, a local eatery, public pool, and a gym (my hoods tend to somewhat mirror my real life community).

Sure there's a few more, but that's it for now.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Forum Resident
#15 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 9:48 PM
Sims nearly always bring in the newspaper, and for some reason, only male sims get to read it.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 9:54 PM
I also make sims get scholarships to go to college unless they are wealthy. Middle class sims have to get 2 and poor sims have to get 3.
Teens can't go to college until they are '18' (in my game this is 2 days until adulthood)
All toddlers are potty trained as soon as possible.
All toddlers can only play with the rabbit because I hate skiilling for charisma in older sims.
I don't resurrect dead sims no matter how much I like them. I just change the story line.
I use the sim blender to change their lifetime want to match their personality such that a shy sim won't want to be an entertainer, a lazy sim won't want to be an adventurer, a sloppy sim won't want to be a celebrity chef, etc.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 10:09 PM
Great quirks ya'll

@maxon Does your partner know the reason why you make him sleep on that side?

@venusking My sim teens don't go to college until they are 1 day from adulthood I want to play the teen age for as long as possible.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 10:19 PM
But it's so painful if they are not trained!
The only places they don't potty train in my game are sims who are low motivation. The toddler stops playing when the bladder gets low and cries, then they cry more once they dirty the nappy, their hygienic plummets and the only thing they will do is cry and play down the toilet. It was torture playing that house simply because by my own rules mum was too stupid to know how to potty train. Normal houses I potty train right away, first day. Of course I do use a double aging mod so my toddlers are around for 8 days, but even for four not being able to go and use a potty and stay clean would be torture.

I hate the rabbit, never use it. I use a quiet set of books for charisma. I do tend to go for charisma more as toddlers since only the school has golf putters and not enough of them. I have this thing where I want to skill all boring skills with fun items. So charisma book for toddlers, block table for mechanical as kids. I am trying to break out of that with my motivation levels. But then I am like "Really you want to only gain creativity points? But you could do that later, look at this nice toy over here". Tell toddler to go over near the charisma toy and hope they play with it. Toddler says nope.

With the bed sleeping I always have mum closest to the door because it's quicker to get to the baby.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#19 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 10:21 PM
Strange and Supernatural events will not be witnessed by normal Sims.

Sim A cannot see Wife Sim B summon or dismiss Cat A that Sim A adores.
Sim C cannot watch (merfolk skintone) Sim D in the bathtub or swimming.
Sim F cannot watch Sim E leave room via invisible door or bookcase door.

Also
"You're Hungry?" Max motives
"You're slightly tired?" Max motives
I didn't Max your motives? Smite... kidding Max motives.

My sims will never live normal motive sapping lives, doomed to be in perfect need fulfillment until the day they pass away.
Test Subject
#20 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 10:26 PM
@Venusking I also have my sims rack up scholarships, then I send them to collage if they roll the want.

EDIT: @Sims2Christain Back when I first got the game and found out about maxmotives, I abused it like crazy.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 11:39 PM
I always have my male sim sleep on the side of the bed with less floor space on it. If there is one square on one side, that is his side. The very logical reason for this is if a female sim decides to give birth in the middle of the night, I like her to have as much room as possible so people can come visit her and not get in her way.

And I always potty train first, as that makes for much more self sufficient toddlers.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 11:42 PM
I almost always leave the game paused while I think what I should command the Sims to do next.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 11:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TumaSims
No self sims, I can't play them and they always end up dead.

I could never make one that looked much like me, and it seemed a little freaky for me after the first couple of years to play Sims based on people that I actually know in real life. So I'm with you there.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Theorist
#24 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 12:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by OpelSpeedster
I almost always leave the game paused while I think what I should command the Sims to do next.

I always forget to pause the game when stepping away from the computer...freewill is always ON, and I have a number of mods that push autonomous interactions. Never a dull moment.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
#25 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 4:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
With the bed sleeping I always have mum closest to the door because it's quicker to get to the baby.

No fair! Make Dad get up to see to the baby too. XD

It always seemed unrealistic to me that you could teach none of the toddler skills yet they somehow magically learn them once they become children. I have a bed wetting mod now that gives children who weren't potty trained a chance to wet the bed.

Scholarships are an interesting way to decide who goes to Uni. But then again, if that was realistic then I wouldn't have gone. XD My brother got a scholarship though, so he pretty much paid nothing for Uni, so I suppose a scholarship could remove the need to pay fees.
Page 1 of 7