Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#101 Old 31st May 2009 at 3:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DevilsAdvocate
The Sims REALLY needs an M rated exp. I know it's a family game, and they want to keep it family friendly. But to keep one's copy of the sims family friendly, one would only need to NOT buy the M rated expansion. I for one grow tired of my sims living in a cartoon fantasy world where everything's perfect, and the worst thing you can do to your neighbor is kick over his trash can and insult his wife. I understand there's a lot of people reading this thinking "well, if you don't like it, don't play it." I love the sims. I just wish it stopped sugar coating taboo things, and allowed my sims to have a bit more mischievous fun. Go to a strip joint, take drugs, slash my neighbor's tires, shoot the thief or the repo-man, without having to use mods with awkward animations and cheap sound effects. And with the release of the sims 3, it holds AMAZING possibilities. But they won't do it, because it's 'naughty'.
(Sorry for the rant, this just annoys me greatly. Still love the sims, though.)

I've thought about that too, and I'd buy it! I think the problem is (and why we're unlikely to ever see it) is because the Sims franchise is known for being kid-friendly (or at least teen-friendly). Many people would automatically buy whatever expansion pack comes out without researching.

I believe that parents should research games (and other products) before buying them for their kids, and I have no sympathy for parents who buy games like Grand Theft Auto IV for their kids and then say, "Golly, I had no idea it was so bad!" .... but even I would cut parents a small amount of slack for not doing their due dilligence in researching a Sims expansion pack when they've already purchased 817 prior Sims expansion packs without issue.

Another alternative that might be a safer bet for EA (but still not likely) is to just create a totally new game, using the same Sims 3 engine and Sims 3 designers. Call it "the Mats" (for "Mature") or somesuch and keep the branding separate from the Sims. That way, you still get the features of the Sims games but don't have to worry about folks inadvertently picking it up thinking it's a "safe" Sims game.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#102 Old 31st May 2009 at 3:52 PM
I keep thinking things I want for expansion packs, I can't wait for Sims 3 it will save me from uber-boredom.

If they make a college one, I think for certain jobs you should get a college education. For example, I think (or hope) doctors are supposed to have some college education. I'm not sure if it worked in Sims 2 or not as I never got it..
Oh and Chinese food would be nice, thats one if the reasons I thought about buying university..

I don't think I would like playing them though, maybe with story progession we wouldn't have to?
But then again I'm not certain which age group can be sent off as young adults can have babies and start familes.. Maybe they could have like a dorm for families a la Boy Meets World style

Since the word on the street is the next ep will be buisness.. I would like to see car dealerships!!! New and used!

Also rabbit holes opening up but that's a given you would also hope for that
Lab Assistant
#103 Old 31st May 2009 at 4:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nolimetangere
I'd like an expansion similar to Makin' Magic for the original Sims at some point. That was a lot of fun. An expansion that added styles from various cultures would be nice. EGL themed clothing would be nice. A Gothic Architecture add would be fun, as well as an old style elegant gothic or noir themed pack that have some very elegant and graceful outfits and add ons for homes and how they are built.

Ballet too. Oh, ballet..

I want dancing in the game so badly I can't stand it. What else is my self-sim going to do? I really can't do anything else... :]
The only thing is, they need to amp up the animations for ballet. The actual technique of Sims at full Music & Dance enthusiasm in Sims 2 was dreadful. I cringed every time I watched it.

Just call me Sam :]
Test Subject
#104 Old 31st May 2009 at 4:56 PM
My thing with expansions is this... make em meatier. Pets is a really important thing to me, but when you think about it, those expansions did not add much in terms of new gameplay. Like Open For Business gave us a whole new world to explore with owning and physically running a shop, but a new community hood.

Pets NEED to be included, but rather as part of a larger expansion i think, OR they build on it more and create actual dog and cat shows you can bring them too, or run a breeding business where you make money adopting them out... also, inclusion of going to veterinarian (or having that as a occupation) would be cool.

I never cared for Makin' Magic or any of that. Spells and stuff? Not for me. I like the added touches of the different out of this world things, vampires here, werewolves there, but I don't like the idea of my sims being witches or warlocks.
Test Subject
#105 Old 31st May 2009 at 5:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tikkall

My ideas for this EP would be (though I don't know exactly how it could be executed) to add a few different islands and have your sims take a boat (or plane) to each of the islands and you see the plane flying in the sky or the boat across the water, depending on how much you paid that's how fast your trip was. Because realistically there is always some travel time but it would all still be seamless neighborhood. I will stress that however they do this, I don't want loading screens.

Loading screens are a fact of life, especially if you are asking the program to spontaniously pop-up an entire new land with new buildings and populate it with a large number of sims with individual agendas. I can feel the computer crying already.

Best you can hope for is a Mass Effect style mini-movie loading screen except instead of a slow elevator it would be your plane or boat. Its still a loading screen (and you WILL notice it as such) but need not be as static as TS2 had.
Field Researcher
#106 Old 31st May 2009 at 5:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kvsims2
I think its already confirmed that there will be expansion packs, but I hope they don't just remake all the same ones over and over, like pets and vacations. If they do add those features that have been in past sims games, I hope they combine them. I'm probably not the only person who was disappointed with both the Unleashed and Pets expansions.

But anyway, my suggestions for expansion packs would be:

An animal pack - instead of just cats, dogs and birds we could have LOADS more animals, maybe zoos and wildlife, and you could have a pet spider or snake :D

A remake of Freetime could be good, but only if its done well. I was disappointed with FT because I didn't think there was enough hobbies or things added to the game (and also the constant telephone calls and people showing up at your house annoyed me-_-). I feel like there's a lot more they could do with that expansion pack.

Oh also I want WEATHER back!! Thats one thing I'm really going to miss from sims 2.

Then why do you play sims games? You should know by now that they remake almost every expansion plus a wild card one.

Unleashed=Pets
Bon Voyage=Vacation
Hot Date (I think?)=Nightlife
Apartment life also had a minor Makin' Magic appearance.
And University felt like Livin' Large, apart from the new university aspect (Which I hardley used)

They're going to feed us the same expansions as usual (Make us buy back our features) and include some new ones. For one, I can already tell they will most likely bring back Seasons, Apartments, Pets, Open for Business, Bon Voyage, and Nightlife. They'll just add new features, but it will essentially be the same as the past expansions.
Field Researcher
#107 Old 31st May 2009 at 7:13 PM
I loved all the EPs. Even ones that I may not have made use of the actual functions of - such as the Open for Buisness one - I still enjoyed all the extras that came along with each one. Each had its own unique functions, content, abilities and features, etc. that add to the game overall. I've enjoyed what they each have contributed to the overall effect of my game.

All that being said, I would LOVE to see an expansion that was based around a space community - with a planet like neighborhood (even different looking sky background that had like two moons, or planets viewable in the distant sky), including aliens of different natures in the game. And of course, the themes for the homes and contents would be space-like - lunar looking soil, sci-fi houses and furniture. And there would be special Sci-fi interactions between the sims and Sci-Fi scenarios to play out. And if they ever add weather to the game, in this particular EP instead of rain and sunshine and such, you could have meteor showers or sandstorms, or electrical storms.

I don't kow why, but I just like the whole Sci-Fi scenario.
Test Subject
#108 Old 31st May 2009 at 7:55 PM
All i want is a game where sims can have unique careers, after owning every expansion pack since livin-large, i firmly believe the sims 2 expansion packs all sucked....no offence maxis, but you gave us practically nothing new, just regurgitated pixilation....

I always have thought that sims havent had unigue careers in the sence that for one their are hardly any careers at all (mabey an expansion JUST for careers) and possibly going to work with your sim and actaully doing their work to earn the promotions rather than lame chance cards, mainly it would be sweet to be an actor in plays or movies, or a director for movies hiring actors etc. Lawyers, models, magazine editor, fashion designer, they were all missing.... and if they were there, they were only a stage of a career. ( I still remember the magic of The Sims Superstar and how much fun it was with the "stalker" and the movie sets and runway shows.....

I also strongly believe that a sims expansion back more geared towards adults would be a great advancement, reaching a whole different audiance too.... It could be rated differently and kids would just not have to download it..... I guess i mainly believe it would be cool because on all of the sims 1 and 2 sites their are SOOOO many adult oriented downloads, and not even necessarily sexual, but more realistic.... I don't want to sound sick but, sims have always had a lack of ways to die (lol) and I think it would be so much more interesting.

also a feature that is LONNG overdue is various voices for the sims to have, I mean I know its hard to find actors who can learn simlish (lol, i bet most devout gamers can practically speak it by now) but every girl sounds the same, like a 40 year old smoker, I want pitch changes, and accents and deepness to voices, or the opposite, annoying squeaky voices for the geeks, etc.

and lastly I think it would be sortof satiracally funny to do an expansion based entirely on bad circumstances, floods, storms, getting mugged, (more than the burgalar, and the occasional fire) Its unfortunate when they happen, but it makes you have more to work for, the same routine everyday gets so boring after a while....

these are just a few....haha
Lab Assistant
#109 Old 31st May 2009 at 8:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by NataliaFatale
All i want is a game where sims can have unique careers, after owning every expansion pack since livin-large, i firmly believe the sims 2 expansion packs all sucked....no offence maxis, but you gave us practically nothing new, just regurgitated pixilation....

I always have thought that sims havent had unigue careers in the sence that for one their are hardly any careers at all (mabey an expansion JUST for careers) and possibly going to work with your sim and actaully doing their work to earn the promotions rather than lame chance cards, mainly it would be sweet to be an actor in plays or movies, or a director for movies hiring actors etc. Lawyers, models, magazine editor, fashion designer, they were all missing.... and if they were there, they were only a stage of a career. ( I still remember the magic of The Sims Superstar and how much fun it was with the "stalker" and the movie sets and runway shows.....

I also strongly believe that a sims expansion back more geared towards adults would be a great advancement, reaching a whole different audiance too.... It could be rated differently and kids would just not have to download it..... I guess i mainly believe it would be cool because on all of the sims 1 and 2 sites their are SOOOO many adult oriented downloads, and not even necessarily sexual, but more realistic.... I don't want to sound sick but, sims have always had a lack of ways to die (lol) and I think it would be so much more interesting.

also a feature that is LONNG overdue is various voices for the sims to have, I mean I know its hard to find actors who can learn simlish (lol, i bet most devout gamers can practically speak it by now) but every girl sounds the same, like a 40 year old smoker, I want pitch changes, and accents and deepness to voices, or the opposite, annoying squeaky voices for the geeks, etc.

and lastly I think it would be sortof satiracally funny to do an expansion based entirely on bad circumstances, floods, storms, getting mugged, (more than the burgalar, and the occasional fire) Its unfortunate when they happen, but it makes you have more to work for, the same routine everyday gets so boring after a while....

these are just a few....haha

I read in frankie's thread that it's confirmed that you can change the pitches in CAS in the base game.
Different deaths (preferably more adult) would be cool too :]

Just call me Sam :]
Lab Assistant
#110 Old 31st May 2009 at 8:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TastyMango
Loading screens are a fact of life, especially if you are asking the program to spontaniously pop-up an entire new land with new buildings and populate it with a large number of sims with individual agendas. I can feel the computer crying already.

Best you can hope for is a Mass Effect style mini-movie loading screen except instead of a slow elevator it would be your plane or boat. Its still a loading screen (and you WILL notice it as such) but need not be as static as TS2 had.

The Sims 3 neighborhood has no loading screens. Sure you have to load the actual game and the save but after that, no loading screen in sight. What I more meant was to have it as a part of the seamless neighborhood, which doesn't have loading screens. But I wouldn't no how they would add it to existing neighborhoods. Maybe as like side additions to the map?
Lab Assistant
#111 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 8:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimsFanJohn
I've thought about that too, and I'd buy it! I think the problem is (and why we're unlikely to ever see it) is because the Sims franchise is known for being kid-friendly (or at least teen-friendly). Many people would automatically buy whatever expansion pack comes out without researching.

I believe that parents should research games (and other products) before buying them for their kids, and I have no sympathy for parents who buy games like Grand Theft Auto IV for their kids and then say, "Golly, I had no idea it was so bad!" .... but even I would cut parents a small amount of slack for not doing their due dilligence in researching a Sims expansion pack when they've already purchased 817 prior Sims expansion packs without issue.

Another alternative that might be a safer bet for EA (but still not likely) is to just create a totally new game, using the same Sims 3 engine and Sims 3 designers. Call it "the Mats" (for "Mature") or somesuch and keep the branding separate from the Sims. That way, you still get the features of the Sims games but don't have to worry about folks inadvertently picking it up thinking it's a "safe" Sims game.

True. But then it would make sense to just make the cover of the M rated ep as raunchy as possible. Scantly clad female sims, sims holding guns, knives, standing in front of a strip club, etc. lol
Eminence Grise
#112 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 11:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ledgo
Then why do you play sims games? You should know by now that they remake almost every expansion plus a wild card one.

Not at all. What they did with the Sims 2 was alternate a rehashed Sims 1 EP with a brand new EP. Starting with a brand new one. So only half the Sims 1 EPs got rehashed. I hope they do THAT again, and give us some brand new EP concepts that wouldn't have been possible without a seamless hood

EPs that involve new real estate are gonna have to be new zones, since every EP has to be playable with every neighborhood (including the player-made ones which we hopefully eventually get ). Can't extend the existing map. But they can share the universal timeline with the base zone.

Would also be possible to open up interior zones for those rabbit hole buildings that everybody loves to complain about Go in the door, find yourself in a new area, the way most RPGs do it. Cleverly done you could have a zone that loads separately so eases the performance stress, but which loads instantly so the player is barely aware they've zoned.

As for a "mature" rated EP, I vote no Let people who want that stuff use mods tailored to their various tastes. I'm not opposed to mature content in principle, but I am opposed to the way sexuality and violence are treated in most video games... where "mature" seems to mean "aimed at teenage boys, and outright hostile to women". There is more than enough of that in other series.
Lab Assistant
#113 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 12:05 PM
I really would like a Vacation EP (that would totally justify separate "areas", I mean stuff like in Nightlife and OFB districts would have to be integrated in the neighbourhood, but holiday destinations would be logically separated from the neighbourhood,).
I will definitely buy the Pets one when they make it, too. (I sais "when" because they're pretty aware that it's a popular EP (which may be why they delayed it so much for Sims 2), and as it has been pointed out before they seem to enjoy making the same EPs over and over again - not true for all EPs though, only 'majorly popular' ones maybe?).
And I really hope for a Free Time EP, as well as one with weather.
A M rated EP would be cool, but when I want to deal drugs, have a hooker get in my stolen car, or shoot at cops with a maching gun, I play GTA and I'm very happy with it.
Field Researcher
#114 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 12:08 PM
are there loading times between riverview and sunset valley or are they part of one map?

"Go on, the world is your canvas."
Test Subject
#115 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 2:21 PM
Considering the game is missing so much from it's predecessor, you can be sure there are going to be a lot of repeat expansions. Just how many times does EA think we're going to buy "date nights" or "go on holiday"?

She works in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was her true medium; a master.

My role playing community: Legends of Ophiuchus
Test Subject
#116 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 6:45 PM
To be honest, I hope that they don't rehash any of the old expansion packs...If they are too similar to the old EP's, the love/hate line would be too thin...

I would rather they continue with what seems to me to be a mixing of The Sims and Sim City...I remember all of those plans to do other Sim games when they released Sims 1, and they never came to be, they just incorporated them into the new games...And the feature in Sim City where you could move your Sim into your city and interact with them made it much, much better...

It would be awesome if my Sim could jog down to the corner, hop on the monorail, and get off at his job...That, and all the other things we love about Sim Games in one nice package...Maybe even put a 'Sim City' on a cloud and allow you to go to different cities in game...

Consider a city created by members of the modthesims community...Guys that like to build houses can open a realty store downtown...Guys that like to make hair and clothes can have stores in a mall or corner boutiques...You could buy their stuff with your simoleans and import them into your game...Members could announce parties online, and you and your sims could attend it...

Now THAT would be cool... :D
Lab Assistant
#117 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 8:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sammxo2010
I want dancing in the game so badly I can't stand it. What else is my self-sim going to do? I really can't do anything else... :]
The only thing is, they need to amp up the animations for ballet. The actual technique of Sims at full Music & Dance enthusiasm in Sims 2 was dreadful. I cringed every time I watched it.

It would be pretty cool to have recitals too and dance classes
Test Subject
#118 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 10:07 PM
Vacations, Pets, Animals, all are missing.

Business and apartment packs too...

I think one apartment pack with many resources, high structures with more than 24 floors, business buildings...

And one think that i really unlike is the job time. It´s suck be waiting for the time... I think that u could control yuour sim at work, a list of functions that you have to do at day, week...
If u can´t control your sim at time work, i think that u could choose to jump instantly to the time that your work finish, without have to wait the time sec by sec..

It´s missing elevators and spiral stairs...

A lot of think is missing... But anyway, the game looks very nice! Much Better than the 2.
Test Subject
#119 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 1:56 AM
My suggestion: An EP thats a free EP that has all the stuff thats in their little SimPoint shop... *grumble*
Page 5 of 5