Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Aug 2014 at 1:43 PM
Default Demo won't play
Has anyone else experienced this problem? I downloaded the Sims 4 demo. When I go to start it from Origin the screen goes blank. I hear the background music but no picture. Sims 2 and Sims 3 play. I am using a 32 inch TV as my monitor could this be the problem. I do have a gaming PC: * Azza Hurrican 2000 Full Tower Gaming Case with 4 Hot Swappable HDD Cage & (4) 230MM Fans
CPU: Intel(R) Coreā„¢ i7-950 3.06 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366
HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)
MEMORY: 12GB (2GBx6) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) MSI X58A-GD45 Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Triple-Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Audio, eSATA, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III, RAID, IEEE1394a, 3 Gen2 PCIe, 3 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI (All Venom OC Certified)
MULTIVIEW: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OS: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 7 Professional [+31] (64-bit Edition)
POWERSUPPLY: * 950 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-950TX 80 Plus Power Supply
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 19th Aug 2014 at 11:53 PM
I doubt it's the monitor. I had the demo load once and I was able to make Sims with it. After that, it would load the first loading screen and the little movie, and that was it, it just had a black screen with the cursor in the middle of it and wouldn't progress loading any further. I uninstalled it after trying to reload it several times. I'm not impressed if this is how well TS4 is going to work. If I decide later to try it, I might reinstall, but after that flop, I'm not even thinking I'll ever buy the game.

Is it not better to be counted among the strange rather than the incurably stupid? ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Test Subject
#3 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 12:57 AM
It is the screen! if ur screen goes off as in "stand by" then that means the game sets the resolution to an unsupported mode for your TV. If that is indeed the case (being that ur screen goes "off") then you have to look where the game keeps the settings and manually change the resolution to one you know it works.

You might also want to set ur Video card/display to Single Monitor mode instead of multiview and see if that fixes it. What video card are you having?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 10:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by steveb
It is the screen! if ur screen goes off as in "stand by" then that means the game sets the resolution to an unsupported mode for your TV. If that is indeed the case (being that ur screen goes "off") then you have to look where the game keeps the settings and manually change the resolution to one you know it works.

You might also want to set ur Video card/display to Single Monitor mode instead of multiview and see if that fixes it. What video card are you having?

My Video card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570. I turned off "stand by" and check to see that my monitor was set for one monitor. I still can't get the demo to play.
Test Subject
#5 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 12:20 AM
What do you mean with turn off standby? I don't understand whether ur TV goes off (when the screen is black).

Try the following:

Go into the folder: C:\Users\<ur own user name>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 Create A Sim Demo

And open with notepad: Options.ini

Look for resolutionheight & resolutionwidth. there you will see the resolution ur demo is set. Does your TV support that resolution? If you are not sure just change the height value to 768 and width to 1024 as most tv's should work on that resolution.

Let me know if that works!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 9:32 PM
What do you mean with turn off standby? I don't understand whether ur TV goes off (when the screen is black).

Try the following:

Go into the folder: C:\Users\<ur own user name>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 Create A Sim Demo

And open with notepad: Options.ini

Look for resolutionheight & resolutionwidth. there you will see the resolution ur demo is set. Does your TV support that resolution? If you are not sure just change the height value to 768 and width to 1024 as most tv's should work on that resolution.

Let me know if that works!

Thank you! Thank you! that worked! I never would have figured it out on my own. Making a donation to Mod the Sims in your username.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 11:49 PM
I can't believe that resolution of your display device (monitor, TV, etc...) mess with the game. This could bring lots of problems on september 2nd to other people.

"Ride to live, live to ride...wheels of fire, forever!!!!!!!!!"
Origin ID: metalfenix_Raf
Test Subject
#8 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 12:10 AM
@Marion Am glad it worked and that i could help

@Metal This is and is not a problem of the game. The monitor / tv simply does not support the mode it is set by the game. This issue happened for me with many many games when i was using my TV as a desktop display.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 2:17 AM
@Metal This is and is not a problem of the game. The monitor / tv simply does not support the mode it is set by the game. This issue happened for me with many many games when i was using my TV as a desktop display.

Oh, you got a point there.

"Ride to live, live to ride...wheels of fire, forever!!!!!!!!!"
Origin ID: metalfenix_Raf