Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Apr 2010 at 7:10 AM
Default Mulan Thread
Y'know, to talk about all things Mulan, link to fan clubs, post pretty fan art etc.
There'll be one of these for all the movies that I can think of. If I missed one out then just start it yourself!

Mulan is just an epic movie.
It's feminist, it's fun, it has the most epic songs ever...

AND IT HAS A BLOODY EDDIE MURPHY-VOICED "DRAGON" CALLED MUSHU! (Which earned me a Pointless. )
What more could you want?

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 14th Apr 2010 at 2:01 PM
EDDIE MURPHY AS A DRAGON OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG
I LOVE DISNEY FOR THAT!!!!!!!

they have the most epic of epic songs too.

"Let's get down to business, to defeat, the huns!"
you just can't help but sing along.

this is a funny video too...
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vi...ick/12823-mulan

she reviewed mulan and it is epic.

but really, did this take place before foot binding?

Sirius Black: Escaped Azkaban, Outran Dementors, Outwitted Ministry, Killed by Drapery
Where I've been hiding...
Theorist
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Apr 2010 at 4:06 PM
I guesstimated on a video about Mulan that I made, that it was set in about the 16th century, maybe. But someone said the huns died out long before that and the latest than Mulan could be was the seventh century. But China didn't really change for thousands of years, so it's hard to tell. I'm pretty sure they did do foot-binding, but Disney would never show anything as gruesome as that.

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 14th May 2010 at 1:42 AM Last edited by Wintermute : 14th May 2010 at 1:55 AM.
Apparently, according to Wikipedia articles, Hua Mulan may not have even been a real person (though it's stated that she may have existed as far back as the 4th to 8th centuries), and foot binding began in the 10th century.

The Disney film contains a lot of historical inaccuracies; like Zinthos pointed out, the Huns had already been defeated for some time by the earliest possible period that Mulan may have existed. In the legend, Mulan was never discovered by her fellow soldiers to be a woman until after she returned to her home, and she did not receive a mass kowtow like in the movie (though she did meet the Emperor himself).

Those inaccuracies aside, it is a pretty neat movie--I did feel sort of a kinship with her, as I am Chinese and also a bit of a tomboy.
Scholar
#5 Old 14th May 2010 at 1:39 AM
Ahh. isn't it wonderful, Disney's interpretations of other cultures?

Sirius Black: Escaped Azkaban, Outran Dementors, Outwitted Ministry, Killed by Drapery
Where I've been hiding...
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 1:39 AM
I love this movie. :D
The reflection song is beautiful. :')
As a feminist, I'm really glad Disney made at least ONE movie with a hardcore female lead. :DDDDD

Lv26 Magikarp
magikarpwow
Theorist
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Jul 2010 at 8:33 AM
^ Exact fucking same, girl. We are actually clones. Clooooooooones. Cloooooooooooooooooones.

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 9:00 AM
MARRIED clones. (: It makes us all the more special. <3

Lv26 Magikarp
magikarpwow
Theorist
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th Aug 2010 at 7:35 PM
Yes, wifey. MARRIED clones.
Do you have msn? Tell me yes.

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 3:31 PM
I do indeed. (:
I actually just got it so that I can talk to my sister.
[email protected]

Lv26 Magikarp
magikarpwow
Theorist
Original Poster
#11 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 10:24 PM
*now has reason to go on msn again*
You'll know me by my picture. Guaranteed.

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 17th Aug 2010 at 8:17 PM
I adore your picture! :D

Lv26 Magikarp
magikarpwow
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 9:46 AM