Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 11:11 PM
Default Help my package file icons have changed to explorer files
Not quite sure why this happened but after downloading some custom content textures (from reputable source) and extracting at the game launcher suddenly all my .package file icons which used to display as the sheet of paper icon with the corner folded, have changed to "e" for explorer. The game still works, however, but now when I go into file explorer to do anything most of the files look exactly the same which can be quite confusing to sort through. I removed the offending CC and it changed nothing. I tried contacting Microsoft help but they really don't get what I'm talking about and are not being of much help. Is there a fix for this that's not ridiculously complicated? I'm attaching a screen shot of what the package file icon looks like now with the "e" and what it used to look like--the paper file.
Only folder icons can be changed, but not file icons.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 11:22 PM
It seems the standard application tp open .package files has changed. There is an EASY fix just right-click the file. It should say Open with... somewhere. Navigate to the S3PE and select the option to always run that program. The icon should change after that. Either way, the standard program is not something that affects your game, so don't worry about it too much.

omnis mundi creatura
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 1:07 AM
Oh, don't have S3PE have no idea how to use it. The support forum and installation pre-requisites links are broken. I supposed I check off "associate package files with s3pe?"
Site Helper
#4 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 3:08 AM
Yes, when you associate package files with S3PE it sets that as the default program that opens them if you double-click the file, which will change the icon to a green plumbbob thing. (But having the file associations for package files changed to IE is not an issue other than the fact that you're finding it confusing. You could even have them set to open in Notepad as long as you don't change anything if you accidentally open it.)

http://www.simlogical.com/s3pe.htm is the page for the installation requirements, but the simlogical forum is gone. If you have a problem with S3PE you can post your question at MTS.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Sep 2017 at 3:11 AM
Okay, so I installed S3PE and had my package files set to open with it, and that was good because the file icons changed an are now plumbobs as you indicated so I can now tell them apart. However, since then I have downloaded two entirely different custom content items from MTS, and extracted them the normal way to my downloads folder but neither are showing up in my game. (They are not in my game launcher either) Am I supposed to do something different now that I have S3PE set to "open with" with these files? This is kind of a problem since I have no idea how to use S3PE.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 18th Sep 2017 at 6:25 AM Last edited by igazor : 18th Sep 2017 at 9:05 AM.
Package files don't belong in the Downloads folder, they go into Mods\Packages (once you have the proper Framework set up). The Launcher doesn't know anything about package files.

Sims3packs are what go into Downloads to be read by the Launcher and installed that way. S3PE is a package file editor, it shouldn't have anything to do with sims3packs. Regardless, switching file associations around shouldn't have made any difference. The game doesn't care what the Windows file associations are.

http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit..._Custom_Content