Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 12:59 AM
Default should I save all my online receipts to a PDF file?
I was having trouble the other day with a Google play store purchase and got ahold of the person I bought from, they asked for a copy of my Google play store receipts in order to reinburse me for previous purchases I shouldn't of paid for with them.

I couldn't figure out how to cut, copy and paste in Gmail, but knew how to take screen shots on my phone so I sent them screen shots of my Google receipts last night.

While today I figured out how to make PDF file and copy the Gmail receipts to a PDF file.

My question

Should I copy and backup all my online purchase receipts from Gmail and yahoo email to PDF files now that I know how?
Advertisement
#2 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 1:04 AM
That would be a good idea. Back them up to a cloud server or flash drive too, just in case.

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 1:24 AM Last edited by C_Guy : 23rd Oct 2014 at 1:57 AM.
I learned how to use Google drive on the weekend, does Google drive support PDF files?

Update

I bought this fancy chord for USB game controllers and hooked up one of my old 1gb USB thumdrives to it and it worked, my phone recognized it and formatted it to be used with it, I temporarily transfered a PDF file to my thumb drive and then disconnected and re-connected it and the PDF file was safely stored on the old 1gb thumb drive, I'll back up all my online receipts to this 1gb thumb drive as while as to Google drive.

I also had a 34 gb thumb drive but my phone rejected it, most of been USB 2
#4 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 2:23 AM
https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2423485?hl=en

That might help, and I do believe Google Drive does support PDF files.

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me
Theorist
#5 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 3:27 AM
There's this option called "paper" made of wood pulp and other fibers. When you're talking about making a permanent copy of something for the purposes of financial issues, I've found that it's a pretty good way to keep track of things. Electronic files vanish sometimes without warning and cloud services are at the mercy of hackers and terms of services. This paper stuff, you can put it into a strong steel box they used to call a "firesafe" and even lock it with an old-fashioned key. While thieves are busy stealing your electronics, they might pass over something so utterly unremarkable as a box underneath your bed. I know this all sounds very retro, but when it comes to receipts and records I find that you're often working with bureaucrats who are often older than 30. They don't understand newfangled things properly, so you've got to work at their speed.

Maybe one day I'll explain how to do something we once called "properly addressing a letter" that involves making a hard copy of email and then sending a very slow physical copy of the mail by courier!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 6:01 AM
I've had the worse luck with printers and gave up on buying anymore and the ink cartridges are just as expensive as the printers themselves, also in the past when I had important stuff printed out I could never find it.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 5:56 PM
Mistermook--My son is so flipping funny when he just literally gaps with mouth wide open & asks, "What are you still using snail mail for Mom?" This is coming from someone who is now 27 who's grandmother had him using a computer when he was only 4 & some of his friends drive him up the wall wanting him to fix theirs (computers)--ack. I also have one of those boxes & still use paper for things I may need an original copy for.

Kindnesses from our heart goes much farther than we shall ever know :-)

The best things in life are all the little things
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 12:19 AM Last edited by C_Guy : 24th Oct 2014 at 1:16 AM. Reason: spelled steam wrong
All of my online reciepts are backed up to my thumb drive and Google drive and all my steam game reciepts are online in a folder with my yahoo email and on Google drive and thumb drive now.