Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 1:52 PM
Default Residential lot specifically designed for pet LTWs
The recent thread about LTWs in Sims 2 Discussion made me want to give raising 20 kittens/puppies a go. I've never done it, and I figured why not. But if I was to do so, I wanted a lot that was prepared to deal with it. And I thought I'd build it somewhat like a kennel, with a little house in the yard and a fenced area to keep the dogs in. I rather like the idea, and I thought I'd upload it.

But, lots are my nemesis when it comes to uploading, because I care a lot more about the inside of lots, rather than outside, and I know one needs to sell both for it to be MTS-worthy.

So, I thought I'd ask for advice straight away. I like the way the house came out, I don't feel that need changing, but I do think the yard needs improving.

Also, before someone points it out, the choice to have a foundation was intentional. I am aware that kittens/puppies can not walk up stairs, and I chose to have one for that reason. It's an easy way to draw a line between the house, and the kennel-side of things. I also think the house would look weird(er) without a foundation.

So, less jabbering and more photos. This is the lot I built for my own use, so the furniture used and the decorating will change. I want it to require few EPs, so I'll have to figure out wallpaper/flooring/furniture when I've decided which EPs. And any CC content will be gone.

It's intended for Sims having both cats and dogs, because I'd personally find just dogs or just cats to be boring when you need to breed 20 of them.

The back yard is empty because I haven't figured out what I want to place there. I wanted a pool, but it feels a bit narrow for a pool to really make sense. And there is already a barbeque on the balcony, and I like it up there. Might leave it up to the downloader, might do something if come up with something/get a good suggestion.

Any and all advice is welcome
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 9:26 PM
The easiest way to ensure the minimum number of EPs required is to make an AnyGame with only the EPs that are absolutely necessary - in this case, BG and Pets - and have nothing in that AnyGame's downloads folder except essential mods (like nounlinkdelete) that prevent corruption. If you build it in a configuration with M&G, it will crash any game that doesn't have M&G installed.

You said you wanted it to be puppy and kitten functional, but I don't see any cat items in that kennel area - no scratching posts or litter boxes, no bell on a spring.

Because sims will be going into the kennel building to interact with pets, it should have windows and a light source. In fact I don't see a litter box or cat toys in the house, either, and cats won't use the kitty condo to scratch (in my experience) unless they're on top of it, in which case one sufficiently dominant cat could keep all the rest away. Multiple litterboxes, cat toys, and scratching posts would be prudent.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Mar 2014 at 2:23 AM Last edited by gummilutt : 16th Mar 2014 at 3:48 AM.
Cats are intended to live in the house, not in the kennel. I've never heard of anyone who keeps cats outside, at least. There are two wall-mounted toys for cats downstairs, both visible in screenshots if you look again. The choice to go with cat condos is because it doubles as a place for a cat to sleep, and thus serves two functions. There is a non-condo scratch post out in the yard that is not visible in screenshots. I'd also in the upload text, suggest placing cat nip chew toys in the yard, or wherever one may prefer, but as those turn into trash I prefer to leave it up to each person to decide if they want them around or not.

There are two litterboxes in the bathroom, which is not visible in any screenshot because I didn't figure I needed feedback on it.

Totally forgot about windows in the kennel house, thanks.

And I know how AGS works, I just haven't decided which EPs I want to include. I'm not going to use only pets, because I don't like the furniture. It's probably going to be seasons and pets, but we'll see. That's what I meant in the original post, exact outcome of things like wallpaper and furniture will be decided when I've set up an AGS game with the right EPs, and know which items are available. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm terrible at what came with what EP.

EDIT: Note to self, consider a water wrangler from OFB.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 16th Mar 2014 at 4:48 AM
Nice idea. I was going to say if you want to use a few EP's you will need AGS but Peni beat me to it.

Seeing the furniture and decorating will change there isn't much use me making comments there. That looks okay.

As a builder what I will comment on is the funny little room tacked on at the back and the roof. The yard isn't so bad, just needs a few more bushes and terrain, it's those other two building areas that I would change.

The roof looks like auto roof. I would change that and also enlarge that tacked on area and probably use a sloped roof or at least change it to a gable roof.
The back needs more windows.
I would switch that modern door out to being brown like the others.
I would switch to brown wood railings at the top of the stairs instead of black iron..

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Mar 2014 at 11:26 PM
I agree that it may look better with more windows in the back, but the room is small enough as it is, if we take away spaces where things could be to have windows, it starts interfering with the playability of the lot, and there is enough light from the windows in the front since it's only one room.

The roof is autoroof, because there's not much roof to add. I've never liked slanted roofs myself, but I'll try and see if that looks better. Railings and doors will have to wait until I know what is available with the EPs I include.

The "funny room" is the bathroom. I agree that from the back it may look a little strange, but the idea for this lot was to have a open floor plan, with an upstairs bedroom. I like how the room is, and the only way to add a bathroom is to add it somewhere, and that leaves you with a room sticking out. I personally don't mind it.

What I want advice on, is the yard. Ideas of what to do with the area behind the house, or if I should leave it. You say bushes jo, but in what way? In the area for the dogs it would just take up space, but at the same time I also think it looks a bit bare as it is. I don't really like the dirt I added, but I also don't find it realistic for a dog yard to be all grass.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 16th Mar 2014 at 11:31 PM
With the yard, people who breed dogs would not have manicured garden beds due to digging, but a few established bushes against the house should be okay. I would also add some more dirt from all those dogs running around.

If you leave it with just auto roof I will bet you 99% it will come back with changes required.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 3:48 AM Last edited by gummilutt : 17th Mar 2014 at 3:58 AM.
I never understood the hate against auto-roof. On a large building I agree it's often not great, but it's a tiny square, what difference does it make if I place it or autoroof? It's not like there is some kind of magic to make a square anything else, roof-wise.

I will try adding more dirt spread out over the yard, and see how that works. Must also remember to place some kind of tiles leading up to stairs at entry.

EDIT: I opened up the lot and tried one of the roofs that goes against a wall, and I can't place one because the lot orientation makes it face the wrong direction. I will try to remember to make sure the orientation ends up right when I remake the lot, but if I happen to forget it'll just have to be a regular roof.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 3:58 AM
If you use a couple of different roofs you will make the outside more interesting. Seeing the back area is small the first slopped roof (I forget what it is called) clicked down fairly low to maybe 20 degrees will look better than another small hipped roof. Or try a gable on the main area and the dogs shed. Sheds normally have gable roofs anyway. An interesting roof can make a house.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 3:59 AM
When you say "clicked down", what do you mean? I know how to change the roof angle via cheat, but that affects all roofs on the lot. If there is a way to change the angle of individual roofs, I'm not familiar with it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 4:05 AM
I have all EP's so I just use the roof angle tool, I'm not sure if the cheat goes that low. I would be changing that small jutting area altogether. I would as I said above probably move it over and enlarge it. I just think it looks a little strange. Also the cheat should be able to alter each individual roof as you need to, it should not do all roofs on the lot at the same time. I only used the cheat once, when i was building Gull cottage so I'm not so good with it, but I know I altered the angle on 3 roof pieces seperatly.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 4:18 AM
I don't want to alter the bathroom, because the only way to do that is to alter the entire house, and the house is what I like about it. If you have a concrete suggestion on how to incorporate it differently without changing the shape of upstairs bedroom and the downstairs room, I'm happy to listen, but I'm not changing those and I can't see how to attach a bathroom to that without it being a room sticking out. I don't mean to sound stubborn or ungrateful for advice, I just don't see the point of uploading it if I change the one thing I love about it.

I get the feeling from your "I have all EPs" that this roof tool comes with a specific EP, so I may not have it available in my setup. I'm not familiar with a roof cheat that lets you alter specific roofs, the one I know is roofslopeangle -insert angle- and that, from what I've seen when using it, changes all roofs on the lot. If there is a different one, I'd be very happy to learn how to use it.

EDIT: Loaded up my regular game and had a look at the roof tool, and I must say, nice. I don't care much about roofs, but that will be very handy for making them a little nicer.

EDIT: I had an idea for the bathroom that I'll try. I think it'll look even weirder, but I'll see if I can figure something out.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 4:47 AM
It's your house, keep what you like. It's all personal opinion anyway.
Did you by chance use auto roof and then try the roof slop angle cheat? That might indeed alter all on the lot as auto roof puts all roofs on at once. If you put each roof on by hand the cheats will allow you to alter each roof. I'm not sure which EP came with the roof tool as I only started using proper roofs once I had the tool. I would just try different roofs, even as I said above a gable for the shed and main house.

~Call me Jo~
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#13 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 10:21 PM
Hello,

To be a pet friendly household, it will need a lot more outdoor entertainment. Dogs will dig holes, cats need trees to climb in, a pond is good if you don't want to do a pool. Yes, many pets destroy landscaping but at least give them some landscape to destroy.

Dog run, bushes they can sneak up on other pets, etc. toys, etc.

You might want to run the cheat "roofSlopeAngle 25" to make the roof less steep.

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...p:Sims_2_Cheats
Mad Poster
#14 Old 29th Mar 2014 at 3:54 PM
I have never seen a Sims2 cat climb a tree. Is that really an option?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 30th Mar 2014 at 3:09 PM
I'm not sure I agree with you on adding landscaping just to give the pets something to destroy. That seems weirdly masochist to me. And as Peni, I've never seen a cat climb a tree. And although a pond would provide fish that cats can eat (with a mod I think?) I feel like that'd just take up space and not be very useful. But I'll consider it.

In terms of entertainment I am only familiar with chew toys and Sim-based interactions for dogs, both of which are covered. And for cats, I know of scratching, the bell-stick, and catnip. Scratching I have both inside and outside, the bell-stick two inside (because they are not meant to be outside) and as I explained earlier I don't want to add catnip since it turns into trash and I prefer to let the downloader decide if they want that. They are pretty tiny, and can be hard to spot, specially when turned into trash. If I missed anything do let me know, but I don't see how I could add more entertainment. For me, the outside area is more of a place for the pets to interact, and the owner to play catch with the dogs.

As for roofslope, I'll see if the tool is available in my setup, and if not, I'll play around with the cheat since jo says it works on individual roofs.
Pretty Space Pony
retired moderator
#16 Old 30th Mar 2014 at 3:37 PM
I think the tool came with M&G, the cheat does the same thing as the tool, although it is a bit more fiddly. The individual roofslopeangle cheat is available with Pets, so that should defo do the trick

The cheat is the following: individualRoofSlopeAngle [15-75]
You can choose the angle of the roof from anywhere between 15 and 75 degrees. The best way to use the cheat is to build the roof and keep the roof tool selected - not autoroof, but any roof works, as long as it is the 'roof-cursor'. Type in the cheat and choose the angle you want. Press down CTRL+ALT and click with the rooftool on the particular roof that you want to change the angle of.