Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 6:32 AM
Awesomemod VS NRaas
I've always been a great fan of NRaas mod suite. And since Twallan's retirement I have not patched so that my NRaas mods are always from Twallan. But at some point I start to think: people have been talking about Awesomemod - could it be a replacement?

Awesomemod includes some hidden traits. This is an advantage - but NRaas ErrorTrap is a handy core mod that fixes my games! Besides, people at MATY don't seem very *coughcough* friendly *coughcough*. On a side note, MTS is very welcoming

So, what are your opinions? Which has better game performance (ie which is less laggy)? Which brings more functions? I'd love to hear your advice.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 7:05 AM
I use both, but if I had to choose, I would only use awesomemod without their story progression. They have the options I need the most without going through the clutter of the gazillion options of nraas's many mods.

Oh and awesomemod doesn't lag in the slightest.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 8:04 AM
Why not use both? I run both in my game, preferring the SP from NRaas. I have no idea which runs easier on my rig and don't really care because it is incredibly unlikely that I'll ever take either of them out. Awesome runs cleverly and maturely in the background while the NRaas suite allows a level of customisation that makes my not-so-inner control freak very, very happy. Couldn't, wouldn't, play without both.

I love my pc because my sims live in it
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 8:05 AM
I'd love to hear about the hidden traits - what do they do?
I've heard of one called "incontinence" that makes them pee...

Are there more examples?? And I've seen people replying that some absolutely do nothing and only work in Pescado's own game...
Scholar
#5 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 9:32 AM
Field Researcher
#6 Old 17th Jun 2014 at 12:46 PM
both. awesome mod for the pudding and nraas for the loving.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 18th Jun 2014 at 8:53 PM
I used to have AwesomeMod, and I really liked it, but I ended up switching to NRAAS because I like its story progression better. NRAAS Story Progression has just made my game so much more interesting and lifelike. Also, I like how you get notifications--it's nice to be up on what's happening in the neighborhood.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 18th Jun 2014 at 10:41 PM
I think that the difference between Awesomemod and NRaas StoryProgression is that Awesomemod more actively forces your sims to act in driving the story forward (show). NRaas approximates (tell). As such Awesomemod might be a bit more hands-on, while NRaas runs a bit better and offers more options.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 18th Jun 2014 at 11:39 PM
Only problem with AM is I can't use it with Consort Mods, so I use NRaas instead.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 1:33 AM
as for AM's traits, they are:

Incontinent
Tealdeer
Tealdeer Immune
Pedophile
Pedobait
Registered Sex Offender
Narcolepsy
Smackable
Uglybutt
Racist
Backstabber
Blind

some of them don't do anything but some of them do, such as incontinent and pedophile..
i've been using cmar's xcas as my core mod but i'm going to start using awesome again. it was hard to get used to not being able to build/buy on any lot without going to edit town, lol. i finally got my mastercontroller tattoo integration working, so it's the best of both worlds now. i don't use nraas' story progression because it can cause lag and it's a rather big mod. i don't like it.

oh, and i don't use any custom story progression
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 8:30 AM
I've actually never installed Awesomemod. The only reason being is that I heard it can cause a lot of damage to your game if taken out, and even installing it could create that big-red-ball thingy from space or something like that. NRaas mods are really good, easy to install/take out and do a lot of very useful things. I've heard AM does as well, I'm just a bit hesitant 'cause I dunno if I'll screw up the whole thing, if you get what I mean.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 6:22 AM
I'm considering going back to Awesomemod (after years & years & years) only because of Twallan's retirement. I worry about not having updates anymore....
Test Subject
#13 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 1:20 PM
i'd go with nraas. it's story progression is fantastic and besides that awesomemod is a core mod so it can be quite a hassle to remove it if you ever decide to do so.
btw; can't you use both at the same time?
Scholar
#14 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 1:28 PM
I'm also using only twallan mods, because it safer to use and my game system handle it better. But at some points AM is more interesting - custom traits and less puding face sims.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 1:41 PM
There is a wonderful group of people that have stepped up and continue Twallan's great mods. The site is helpful and easy to use. Obviously, I only use NRass mods.
Scholar
#16 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 1:48 PM

Por qué no los dos?
Field Researcher
#17 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 3:00 PM
I use NRaas only for the simple fact that it's complicated enough, I can't imagine what throwing in another mod with it's own settings will do to my game.
(Also, MATY kinda scares me.)

Queen of the Land of Typos.

Check out my simblr.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 3:42 PM
Is there a website that has documentation on Awesomemod's story progression? I know NRAAS StoryProgression has a lot of info on it on its website, but I couldn't find it on Awesomemod's own site.
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 4:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Selene1212
I'm considering going back to Awesomemod (after years & years & years) only because of Twallan's retirement. I worry about not having updates anymore....

NRaas is going on stronger than ever and remains dedicated to Sims3. ALL mods are updated to the current patch and there have been many updates, enhancements and fixes for existing mods as well as the addition of two brand new mods thanks to Chain_Reaction. Besides, there's no more EP's/Patches ... everything now is frosting on the cake ...or should I say Cupcake
Theorist
#20 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 4:33 PM
I use both. AwesomeStory is good if you always like things to make sense. I don't. I went through a phase where I liked to make poor families that couldn't afford cribs, but couldn't help themselves from cranking out baby after baby, and would have to leave babies all over the floor. AwesomeStory, at least a few years ago, needed things to make sense so that scenario wasn't allowed (sims only get pregnant when there's enough cribs in the house for them). I have AwesomeStory turned off and use Nraas StoryProgression because it has a ton of options and I like a little bit of craziness and I also like to micromanage my town's progression.

There are also a bunch of Nraas mods I must have, like Dresser to auto-rotate outfits, Master Controller, Register, Traveler, etc.

Resident wet blanket.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 10:39 PM
Shouldn't this be in the debate room?
Forum Resident
#22 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 12:32 AM Last edited by skmt999 : 1st Aug 2014 at 12:42 AM.
I see this question of 'which one' all the time, and it confuses me. They compliment each other very nicely. I consider each to have things that I really don't like to play my game without.

Eh, personal choices.

edit: I just realized that people might be lumping these two rather comprehensive mod suites into the same category of Story Progression Substitutes. At which point, the question is "which Story Progression Substitute is better?" - again a very personal choice. I go back and forth between those aspects quite often, depending on my game.

NRAAS Story driver is very large and complicated, but allows the user to fine tune EXACTLY what they want to happen in their town. I like it because of that. What I dislike is how large and cumbersome it is, and how it causes lag in my larger towns/saves.

Awesome's Story driver is very self contained. It requires going through the whole town and adding enough beds and cribs before actually playing, or you won't get very many NPC babies to then to to school with your character's kids. But it's compact, doesn't cause lag, and otherwise does a lot of the things the NRAAS Story driver does - without the STORY. It won't create fifty-zillion pop up messages telling me what people in my town are 'doing'. I know I can turn that off in NRAAS, but it's more complicated than adding cribs (for me).

But these two Core Mods are far-far-far more than just the Story Progression. So you can have Awesome on in the background while installing as many NRAAS side mods as you please. Awesome's Story driver auto disables when it senses the NRAAS story driver, so that's all automatic and without worry.

TL : DR
Both. Both is good. But make up your own mind on the Story after taking them both for a spin.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 3:10 AM
I've already posted my stance a few posts up, but let me explain it.

What bothers me about Awesome's Story Progression is that the official manual explain it beyond a couple of sentences. I bet someone out there took the time to explain its mechanics, but that's something that shouldn't be left to the users. Meanwhile, the TS2 Director Cut buries the manual for all of the mods on a different page than its main forum thread.

I understand the creator's philosophy when it comes to the Director's Cut, but people like me like to know what a mod does before installing it, because lots can go wrong with a mod.

NRAAS isn't the most transparent, but at least it shows every interaction its mods have, and it has useful FAQs for its major mods. So an user can read through it, and know that StoryProgression does X, Y, and Z, but you're allowed to disable X, change the default value for Y, and keep Z as it is. Plus, the forum is nice and its users are willing to handle questions in details.

Maybe I'll install Awesome again, even if just for its Hand of God, but I won't even consider using its story driver until I know exactly what it does.

TL;DR: NRAAS is trustworthy, while Awesome is a shot in the dark.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 4:13 AM
I've been using AM since it came out and really like it because it does a lot of fixing in the background. I don't use SP in my game, but even if I did AM's SP is enough for me.

There is absolutely no reason to stop updating twallan's mod. The guys who are running the place now are doing an amazing job continuying where Twallan left off. There is even a handy "Mod updater" tool on twallan's site, so you don't have to manually update, just run the tool and see what needs updating

Error trap and AM work together very well even thought both are core mods. The only big incompatibility between AM and NRaas is overwatch, which disables AM's TS2 style ageing but there are work-around for that so it's a none issue.

AM is good for players who don't want too much stuff happening in the background. I did once try editing twallan's SP so it could replace AM but too many options had to be edited to achieve the same settings that AM brought and even then I was missing some things like being able to go to buy/build mode without testing cheats, or being able to stack swim here interactions or drag and drop items from the inventory to any other sim.

I have all Twallan's mod in my game except SP and those that do the same thing that AM already does.