Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 3:08 AM
Default Does anyone else find winter annoying?
I just can't bear the constant wind howling. That and the pissing penguin is enough to make me set my season options to fall --> spring --> summer --> summer. I'm thinking of making a longer fall instead because it's probably my favorite season. Anyway, what has everyone else done with their season options?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 3:15 AM
Winter annoying? Winter is undoubtedly the most interesting and entertaining season available..

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Forum Resident
#3 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 3:29 AM
It's actually the Summer Storms that can get annoying, boy is that Thunder loud, much louder then the other audio in the game that I have to turn it down,
Scholar
#4 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 3:30 AM
Umm...no actually I find Summer a bit annoying with the heavy lightening and hail. Then again I used to live in an area where there were 4 seasons with winter's being fairly harsh and I loved it. Now I live in an area where winter rolls in somewhere in January where you get a week or so of temps that may get as low as the 30's and by March it's back up to the 80's with summer temps in the triple digits. Now that I find annoying.

So I guess I enjoy my Sims being able to play in the snow still.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 3:41 AM
You DON'T love the pissing pengi? You have no soul!

Have the extra long autumn, at least the trees a pretty and sims gain skills faster. I love Winter, but then I live in a dry area of Australia so any snow is a novelty, even pixel snow.
Theorist
#6 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 3:44 AM
Winter is ok, imho, I hate raining much more than snow... But I can understand how people might hate winter, for you can't fish or grow produce in winter (although you can if you put both the pond and the garden inside). And the change of clothes upon leaving house can be annoying, especially if your sims keep autonomously running out to play all the time.

And I don't know why, but I saw a penguin in my winter-free game a while ago. I was surprised. Probably it comes not only in winter.
Scholar
#7 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 4:01 AM
I think each season has their own amount of annoyance. Winter can be a drag if your playing a fisherman and your lake stays frozen even if its not snowing. The leaves falling in autumn can be a hassle, and the thunderstorms scare me sometimes. I dont mind hail since I'm always up for new ways for sims to die (since they seem to only die from old age), but I havent seen death by hail yet lol
Forum Resident
#8 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 4:18 AM
I don't mind any of the seasons actually. The thunder can get a tad bit loud which can get frustrating but other than that I like them. Winter and Fall always give me this cozy feeling when I see my sim families tucked away in their houses all warm...

And you know there are hacks to prevent the penguin from even showing up. I think I saw it somewhere in the Hacks section of this site.

Tired of your workers' faces changing after you set a uniform? See this thread for more details and a potential fix.
-----
Check out my journal.
I now have a Simblr(in the making) please follow!
Simblr
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 4:27 AM
I love and hate winter at the same time, it's definitely one of the funner ones but it gets annoying easily

You gonna do something killer?
C'mon give it a try...
#10 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 4:36 AM
I loved seasons, then i got pets in the collection disc and ever since it's been laggy like hell when it rains/snows so i usually keep it on spring and have a mod to turn off weather altogether.
Scholar
#11 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 5:00 AM
I love winter. In the game and in real life.

I found myself setting to winter more often than the other seasons. Autumn was the only other season that really offered a big change from the normal The Sims 2 gameplay.

The sound of the wind isn't bad, and I don't remember ever seeing the penguin pee. lol.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 9:29 AM
I don't think they meant that literally!

Personally, I like winter, but more often than not I disable it because it makes my computer lag terribly, specially in neighborhood view, when everything is covered snow. Beautiful, but it comes at a price.
Alchemist
#13 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 9:34 AM
Argh, the penguin's cute!

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Mad Poster
#14 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 11:53 AM
The penguin shows up in summer, too. I dislike winter for the sheer fact that it really slows down the game-and I disable it every single time.
(besides, I live in a place where winter is not that pleasant, and reminders don't endear it to me.)
Mad Poster
#15 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 12:49 PM
I like all the seasons, but I wish there were a way to set the humidity! I've lived in semi-arid country for forty years and I can't get used to the way it rains in the summer. I don't feel like I should have to move a summer wedding indoors, and I hate having to break up hot tubbing sessions for fear of lightning strikes. Also, if I were playing a desert hood, I would want to set the seasons to summer-summer-summer-winter; but then it would rain ALL the time, and that's the opposite of a desert.

This isn't much of a problem for me at the moment, however, as I'm playing a place with four seasons, but it's spring most often because that's the season I start in. I make no attempt to synchronize between lots so every time someone graduates University or marries and moves out of an apartment they get extra spring. Anyway it's clear to me from the emergent weather patterns that the climate is high-altitude Upper Southern United States, where it does in fact rain all the damn time by my standards.

My game either doesn't lag any more in the winter than it does at other times, or I'm so used to random lagging that I don't notice it. And the penguin is a little silly but I don't mind him. And he does sometimes show up at other seasons.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 2:25 PM
For me, the worst part about winter is when the snow covers up the newspapers and homework.
When that happens, I have to go into Buy or Build Mode to retrieve them manually; otherwise, the limit for newspapers would be reached, and my kids would fail because of the missing homework. D:<

I also hate the howling wind. Overall, though, it's not too bad...
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 3:44 PM
I kinda like the howling wind, actually. But I wish we had an equivalent thing for the other seasons: cicadas in summer, more chirping in spring, the sound of rustling of trees in autumn... Actually, wait: doesn't the summer already have that sound? Am I imagining things? It's been ages since I've played the game with headphones, I miss a lot without them.

And yeah, the storms. Too many storms. I love storms in real life, but in the game it ends up being frustrating. Specially when the Bon Voyage tree catches fire... Because, for some reason, it never stops burning. The "fire" warning goes off, build and buy mode return, but the tree keeps burning. You can even delete it, and the flames will still be there, eerily resembling a cross made of fire. The only way to fix it seems to be exiting and re-entering the lot.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 3:51 PM
The penguin only makes a puddle if you make a sim pet it. So don't do that. Simple.

As for hating winter, no. I've spent a whole lot of my simming time playing the Apocalypse Challenge, the rules of which allow winter only for what usually turns out to be at least two generations. Yet even though that means my game is in winter far more than any other season, I still don't hate it.

All the seasons have their pros and cons, and I find my game to be much more fun when I focus on what I LOVE about it, rather than what annoys me. There aren't many annoyances in this game that can't be avoided by either tweaking game settings, or installing a hack.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 7:35 PM
i actually like the winter season, since i haven't really seen snow in real life, because of where i live, so atleast i want my sims and i to experience it in sims world.
Test Subject
#20 Old 20th Jan 2012 at 10:11 AM
I like winter season, and i hate summer because storm, lighting and hail
Mad Poster
#21 Old 20th Jan 2012 at 11:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Willow's Tara
It's actually the Summer Storms that can get annoying, boy is that Thunder loud, much louder then the other audio in the game that I have to turn it down,

i used to freakout whenever i heard the thunder
Beautiful Dinosaur
#22 Old 20th Jan 2012 at 12:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by moonlight_frog
For me, the worst part about winter is when the snow covers up the newspapers and homework.

In the graphics settings you can turn off Snow on Ground so it doesn't settle.

Who knows where thoughts come from....? They just appear.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 20th Jan 2012 at 12:16 PM
I love winter. It's one of my favorite seasons IRL too. I just like snow.

Try an apocalypse challenge. For a while you live in a frozen tundra.

That was not helpful, funny, or love!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#24 Old 20th Jan 2012 at 1:16 PM
I like the seasons in the game. Just not so fond of winter here (cold and wet today).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#25 Old 20th Jan 2012 at 2:06 PM
I adore the seasons in the game. Winter is one of my faves, especially when it snows. But then, I do the fistpump in reality too when I see snow.
Page 1 of 4