Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 10:43 PM
Default what do you think?
i got the Sims 4 a few weeks ago but my video card is not compatible with the game
it will be a very long time till i can get one

do you think i should return the game and get something else with the money or would it be worth the long wait for a new video card so i can play the game?

what do you think
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 10:47 PM
If you can't play it, it's not serving any purpose. I'd say return it until you are able to play.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 11:13 PM
What should you do? If you're certain the game is not going to run and it may be a long time before you get a system that will run it, you should most definitely return it and get something you can enjoy now. If anything, once you do get a set up that works, the game might be cheaper.

But, just to be sure, did you run the compatibility check offered at EAs site? http://help.ea.com/en/article/the-s...m-requirements/ There's a link and a tool. I haven't tried it yet, but so far, so good. One of my laptops has an integrated video system, so it's possible it won't work once the game expands. I don't really know.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 11:38 PM
I'd agree with Gargoyle Cat. But I believe you can update the game card without having to buy a new one? I hope everything works out okay
Forum Resident
#5 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 11:50 PM
I'd say return it. Perharps when you are able to pay, the game will be cheaper or bundled with an EP or two
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 11:56 PM
I agree with rodrigues. Return it and just wait for a bundle.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 2:14 AM
You can't return open video games and if you bought it off origin it sounds like you are way passed the refund period so....
Forum Resident
#8 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 2:21 AM
Depends how you bought it. Most places wont allow you to return an opened game and Origin has a laughably short refund period.

If you can, I recommend that you do return it though. No use in owning a game you can't play.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 2:22 AM
Why don't you put a nem video card in your PC? Seriously, it is not so expensive. If no, I think you should return the game and buy something else.
Instructor
#10 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 2:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by NabucodonosorII
Why don't you put a nem video card in your PC? Seriously, it is not so expensive. If no, I think you should return the game and buy something else.

Replacing the video card is probably one of the easier part swaps you can perform, as long as you run the specs of the one you're buying past a knowledgeable friend or two(to make sure that it'll match up with your other components) and aren't a complete moron who can't follow instructions. You won't have to do anything tricky like inserting RAM(I always feel like I'm going to break it...), messing with CPU heatsinks(ditto for that) or unplugging(and replugging) every single power cable to replace a PSU. You can get a good card for $100-$150, though you probably don't need nearly that much to run sims 4 on low settings. Pretty much all you have to do is unhook the card you have now from the PSU(power supply unit), remove it from the motherboard(there might be clips that need opening, otherwise it should just be a simple unplug job), then put the new one in and re-hook it up exactly as the old one was. You can probably even find video tutorials on youtube or something if you need to see what to do, I know they exist for CPUs. You don't need to worry about fancy dual-board configurations, the sims doesn't need that, just a mid-range modern card should do the trick.

My sims blog
Currently playing: Katran Random Legacy
Forum Resident
#11 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 2:46 AM

He could be playing on a laptop, which don't usually allow GPUs to be swapped, and if he wants a new one he'd have to get an entirely new laptop.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 4:19 AM Last edited by eRogue : 30th Sep 2014 at 6:18 AM.
I was going to chime in about how returning the $70 game would almost get you a respectable new card (around $100 ), but then again, he might have to upgrade his PSU too, which they start getting pricy quickly at 800W or more. And to rebutt tigger89's comment, he'll wouldn't be hooking it up exactly as the old one way, the old one probably has zero power connectors, and a good new one often requires two, and whether 6- and/or 8-pin, who knows? He's going to need to look at the video card specs to ensure a new PSU has the right connectors (or have a nice selection of adapters). Also the cards are huge now with the built-in fans and what not. He might not have *two* slot spaces available (the card will only need one slot, but it needs room often rendering the adjacent slot completely useless), and some smaller cases actually might not support too physically long of a card.

Video card upgrades -- on desktops -- actually aren't as quite easy as they used to be before these power sucking monsters became commonplace Still easy for a tech person, but maybe not for the non-techs anymore.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 5:49 AM

seriously, depending upon your financial situation, scraping together the cost of a sandwich while you are out can be beyond you (fuck, I know I've knocked back going to the shops with friends because I couldn't afford a cup of coffee at the time - sometimes for weeks on end because of other financial issues!).
Seriously, I wish I could pull the money for a new card out of my arse too, but it would take me at least a week to budget that into my finances, of not two or more.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 10:21 AM
To the general crowd here: What about updating drivers or is that not possible with an integrated graphics system as found in a laptop? Or, does that not do enough to make the game playable?

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Stupid people are stupid
#15 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 1:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
To the general crowd here: What about updating drivers or is that not possible with an integrated graphics system as found in a laptop? Or, does that not do enough to make the game playable?

If your card is unsupported, it's unsupported. No updating driver will ever make it supported!
Theorist
#16 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 3:09 PM
Hard to give upgrade advice without knowing her current setup and budget. Could be an old laptop with really crappy graphics or a Pentium 4 with AGP slot for all we know.

Although if she's using a desktop PC with PCIe slot, I highly recommend a Geforce 750Ti as a budget card. It's a excellent card if you can find it under $100. First thing is it's a very low power card, most don't even have an extra power connector because it isn't needed. Works fine with 300W PSU. TS4 autodetects and sets it up as Ultra settings which it handles very smoothly to an output resolution of 1920x1200. I picked mine up for $115-$20rebate + 3 free game credits that I sold on eBay for $30 for a net cost of $65 (before eBay fees). Don't know if pricing is similar in the UK though.

Resident wet blanket.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 4:26 PM
@Megido
@eRogue

i just want to say i am female not a male
i just thought i would mention that to you
also i bought it as a physical copy from Argos
i think they have a 30 day returning policy and i bought the game on the 14th of September
i don't think Argos would know any thing about origin so if i do return it i may get away with it
Field Researcher
#18 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 4:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MrRoc
seriously, depending upon your financial situation, scraping together the cost of a sandwich while you are out can be beyond you (fuck, I know I've knocked back going to the shops with friends because I couldn't afford a cup of coffee at the time - sometimes for weeks on end because of other financial issues!).
Seriously, I wish I could pull the money for a new card out of my arse too, but it would take me at least a week to budget that into my finances, of not two or more.

Well, I think if someone can afford buy TS4, probably this person can afford buy a new video card to play it (in case of using a desktop). I may be wrong though. :D
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 4:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coolsim22

Perhaps I should use my Vampire: The Masquerade habit of default to "she" rather than "he" at Sims forums, too :D
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 4:56 PM
@Megido
@eRogue

i just thought i would mention that to you
also i bought it as a physical copy from Argos
i think they have a 30 day returning policy and i bought the game on the 14th of September
i don't think Argos would know any thing about origin so if i do return it i may get away with it

If you opened the box I don't think they can take it 30 day return policy or not. The game is tied to origin no matter what type of copy you got (physical or digital), so once that code is used no one else can use the game so the store cannt take it back. Even if you say you opened but never installed the game, I know I personally wouldn't believe that if I was the one processing the return. And I don't think this is an origin exclusive issue. I don't think stores take back open video games period. If the box is still fully sealed then go for it.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 4:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eRogue
Perhaps I should use my Vampire: The Masquerade habit of default to "she" rather than "he" at Sims forums, too :D

@eRogue]

it's okay

is Vampire: The Masquerade a game
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 8:55 AM Last edited by eRogue : 1st Oct 2014 at 12:17 PM.
is Vampire: The Masquerade a game

Yes, Vampire: The Masquerade [VTM] is arguably the definitive vampire role-playing game, released in 1991 as the leading title of White Wolf's World of Darkness series, and incomprehensibly discontinued in 2004. By definitive, we mean that there are three types of vampires: Traditional (as hunted by Van Helsing); Anne Rice; and VTM. Most current vampire adaptations are loosely based upon VTM vampires.

I tried to look up the exact passage where the publishers explain why they use "she" and "her" to describe nonspecific vampires, but I failed to find it. In short, it's both a veritable acknowledgement and hopeful encouragement that many more females are interested in this fantasy setting than the more traditional RPG realms of, say, Dungeons & Dragons, and Middle Earth. I think it's a fine parallel that more females are drawn to The Sims than many other video games.

It's notable that Vampire: The Masquerade did have two successful video (PC) games based up on it, and there was also a short-lived TV series . The primary video games are:

VTM: Redemption: During the High Middle Ages, a holy crusader falls in love with chaste nun. yet falls to Caine's curse and is doomed to roam the Earth throughout the hereafter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVx...ndex=11&t=1m48s [sad that he's not using high-res textures]

VTM: Bloodlines: In Los Angeles, during these Modern Nights, you are turned into a vampire during a one-night-stand, for which the vampire Prince kills your sire and forces you to do his bidding.
http://debofnight.andcuriouser.com/ [broadcasting the Bloodlines radio station]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUhxCo2i3Lc [trailer -- none of the trailers do justice to the game's incredible dialogue.]
The poster childe:
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 5:20 PM
@eRogue
okay thanks

@Tamsin88
i have opened and installed the game to my account
also i was allowed to return opened Sims 3 games to Argos
so i might try to return it
but i am starting thinking about keeping it because i may be able to play it some time in the future