Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 1:52 AM Last edited by ohgreatone22 : 28th Apr 2013 at 3:43 AM.
Default How do you handle homosexual couples in your game?
I was apprehensive about posting a topic like this, but eh, if you don't like homosexuals, don't post in this topic.

Anyway, I was just wondering how you all handle homosexual sims/couples in your game. Do you let them get joined union, or did you download a hack that allowed them to get married just like their straight friends? Do you let them have biological children using a mod, or do you let them adopt children? As for sims, do you decide that a sim will be homosexual/bisexual when they're teens, young adults, or adults?

With my sims, I have one male homosexual couple that are adults, I let my sim turn gay when he went to college and he ended up with the Goth Tricou boy, they are in a joined union, and I let them have 3 bio-children and one adopted. I have another male homosexual couple that are in college, and they will probably get a joined union too and bio-children. I also have a lesbian couple that came from two dormies that were always making out because of ACR, but they don't have a joined union as one of them is bi, but they do have two bio-children. Then my last homo-couple are two lesbians that I made gay when they went to college.

As for the sims' sexual preferences, sometimes I will make them straight, but change it in SimPE when I want them to be gay.

Now your turn!

I have a simblr now! Check it out: simblr
Had a long day and need a laugh? Check this out for funny sims stuff!
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 2:00 AM
I don't enable same sex pregnancy, but I let them frolic and marry in my game as they wish. ACR determines sexuality for me.

Simblr.
Asks are always open, even to anons. I will always reply to asks, and I do my best to be cordial/less snarky than usual.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 2:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fivey
I don't enable same sex pregnancy, but I let them frolic and marry in my game as they wish. ACR determines sexuality for me.

Ditto. Except no marriage if it's a historical hood. In my modern hoods gays do get married and can either adopt kids or have them through donors/surrogates.
Instructor
#4 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 2:15 AM
I treat them like all of my other couples in my neighbourhood.

They have to deal with life decisions, changes in jobs, money etc. For my couples however, they sometimes have the added pressure of whether to come out to their friends and families or hide it. But nevertheless, they have to deal with day to day stuff like any other couple; when it comes to children although I do indeed have a same sex pregnancy unlike a straight couple, my gay couples have to have a dicussion about who is going to carry the baby to term. And think about the costs of doing so although slightly different from my straight couples, there is still some type of cost for all types of couples at the end of the day.

In fact they seem to act more civil than my straight couples, and tend to be more responsible because of the added pressure that they put on themselves (nothing on my part) to make sure that their children get everything they want. It creates good story arcs and adds more to characters (alongside my trait system).

I too have ACR and I tend to random their sexual peference for the people they haven't decided which way to go yet, and to me that just adds to their character and story arc.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 2:16 AM
I play my game very real-world realistic, so no same-sex pregnancy. A lot of my hetero couples adopt as well, to the point where it is just as much the norm to adopt as it is to have your own ones. However, my homosexual Sims get to marry just as everyone else, because why shouldn't they get to do the same thing.

I haven't had male homosexuality in years, and I think that's probably because I am surrounded by either homo or bi males all the time in my daily life. Most of my friend circle is homo or bi, and a lot of them are males, so I guess I just never felt the need to add it. Also, I am less fond of male Sims in general because there isn't as much fun CC for them.

Who is what kind of depends on what I think would be interesting, and what I fits the character I pick for the Sim. I'd probably decide that around teen years if the Sim was born in-game, and directly in CAS if I made it there.
Scholar
#6 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 2:22 AM
The same-sex couples live the same as the opposite-sex couples in my game, getting married and starting families. I don't have the term-changing hack in my game, but, for example, I consider Erin and Lola Beaker-Curious every bit as married as PT9 and Jenny Smith and just as married as Guy Worthington and his husband Francis J. Worthington III.

The only difference is that I allow the female couples that are or know mad-sciency sorts to have biological children together -- Erin and Lola had their daughter Vanja courtesy of Erin's brother Loki's gene splicer device -- while the males have their children via alien abduction. Though that doesn't separate them from their opposite-sex counterparts either: freelance pollination tech Ellison Howe (who's married to former townie Matthew Howe) had three of her five children using DNA collected from two different female donors and Surt and Verity Beaker's second child Lazarus was the product of Surt being abducted by aliens.

My CC creations, updated April 21, 2015.

My Simblr
Forum Resident
#7 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 2:35 AM
I dont mind Homosexuals. Im 100% strait, but all my friends are bi or gay.
Banned
#8 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 2:51 AM
I don't have too many of them (definitely less than IRL, but plenty of bisexual females in college) but when I do they get married like everyone else. I roll a die to decide for each kid I want them to have whether I have them adopt (luckilly in the game bigots haven't passed laws to not allow this) or use the Insiminator to make 1 pregnant (I explain this that new technology allows the conversion of an egg cell to a sperm cell or vice versa - though this is less realistic for males - where would the baby develop?)

For lesbian couples I've also had them each try for baby (after enough romantic interactions) with a mutual male friend for the attempt - that definitely requires some sort of no jealousy mod though. Not sure how you could do that for gay men and still have the baby have their name and such. Even with lesbians the baby will only recognize the one who was pregnant as family, so it's less than ideal. Of course you can use other mods for relationships, but that's a bit of work.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 2:54 AM
Also, i like to shake things up. Sometimes my teenage boys will be randomized.
Ive actually had the same family for 1 entire year now with aging off (with a mod).
Yes, 1 year April 4th!

Jimmy is gay and dating another guy, but acts perfectly normal!
Rachel is strait and dating a boy.
Conan is a little boy, so he aint dating.

(If anyone asks, these names came from my favorite show, Case Closed.)
Mad Poster
#10 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 3:17 AM
They do everything that any other Sim does. I seldom have male pregnancies, or adopt random kids - for anyone. Usually "they" decide as a teen that they are gay, by some outfit THEY decided to wear, or a LTW, or just the way they look; sometimes the "signs" appear as a child. I have ACR so I can make it more official, whither they are bi, gay, or "a little gay" (!?). I admit to stereotyping (but I do that with everyone - tough looking women study mechanics, women study cooking; it's not a prejudice it's just my style) - so if a tough looking teen likes to catch butterflies, or do ballet (I know, I know)... And often, out of desperation, a Romance Sim can try the other gender (and when they find true love this way, they must have been hiding it from me - even as an elder!

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 3:28 AM
ACR determines whether who will get teh gey, and then I let them adopt children after joining if they want. Of course. this assumes adoption is available (many homo couples in my BACC go childless )

That was not helpful, funny, or love!
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 3:28 AM
For my sims preferences, I just go by who they have the most attraction bolts for - if they are most attracted to someone of the same sex, so be it. I have a hack that makes it married and not union. I don't use the same sex pregnancy mods though - mostly because I prefer a fairly realistic game. If my sims want to have children, they either adopt or they find a third party to help them conceive - usually a close friend.
Instructor
#13 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 3:31 AM
Homosexuals emerge in my game due to limited matches. I tend to start matching sims up in their teenage or college years. If there's more females than males, then it's possible there'll be a lesbian couple. I also go with the flow a bit. If a couple teenagers of the same sex get close and autonomously do a romantic interaction, I let it happen. I don't have a mod to change the term from joined union to married. They still have the rings and function the same, so it's the same to me. Homosexual male couples don't have children biologically, I don't allow male pregnancy of any kind and getting a surrogate would make the family tree situation even more complicated. They adopt. Lesbian couples do have a child biologically by using the boolprop testing cheat "make pregnant with."
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 3:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aaries16
Homosexuals emerge in my game due to limited matches. I tend to start matching sims up in their teenage or college years.

That's how I pair up sims in my game too. This rotation there have been a lot of female babies, so when they're older, they may become lesbians.

I have a simblr now! Check it out: simblr
Had a long day and need a laugh? Check this out for funny sims stuff!
Scholar
#15 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 3:46 AM Last edited by Dizzy-noodles : 28th Apr 2013 at 4:04 AM.
I have lots of gay men in my Strangetown, but only one lesbian couple so far. My gay couples usually get a joined union, like aaries16 I see it as the same as getting married. I do let them have biological children, using boolprop, but only in Strangetown, since there are aliens I think there would be other strange things going on. I do have one gay couple who are not allowed to have children, but that's because Jacob has awful genes, none of his siblings are allowed to have kids either!

As far as deciding who's going to be gay, my first gay couple were Jacob and Bobby. Jacob decided he wanted Bobby, who was very shy, but once they kissed, that was it! One of my other couples, Daisuke and Bill, got together when I moved them in with Chloe (A lady sim). I got them each to check out the other 2 sims, and Daisuke and Bill just ignored Chloe and started flirting with each other, although they had the same amount of bolts with her as with each other. Jin and Tom were sims I had downloaded, and they were both just so handsome, I didn't want to pair them up with anyone less attractive, so I paired them up together.
Banned
#16 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 4:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ohgreatone22
That's how I pair up sims in my game too. This rotation there have been a lot of female babies, so when they're older, they may become lesbians.

I have the opposite problem. It ends up like 75% boys for me but I do the exit and retry thing. It's actually been way too many boys ever since I had sims have kids.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 4:07 AM
My gay couples are like any other. The same-sex marriage hack is a must-have for me, because joined couples don't count toward a parent's LTW to Marry Off 6 Children. (I don't actually ever go for that LTW, but it's the principle of the thing!)

As for pregnancy, I'm a sucker for seeing how sim couples' genetics merge in their children, so same-sex couples have their own "biological" children. Non alien abduction male pregnancy IS a bit odd, but I'm of a "they're sims, not humans" mindset, so I don't care.
Theorist
#18 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 4:14 AM
I have the same-sex-marriage hack, but haven't installed it because it's largely cosmetic for me right now. If I ever ended up with a Family Sim who wanted to marry off six kids, and one of those six kids was gay, I'd probably add it it. (The game won't give them permaplat otherwise.) I refer to all couples as "married" in my stories, whether they're same sex or opposite sexes. Any married man is a husband, and any married woman is a wife, so you can have husband and husband, wife and wife, or husband and wife.

Most same-sex couples adopt if they want kids, although one male couple who belonged to the Most Logical Brotherhood of the Telescope (and therefore had access to alien fertility technology) had biological children. Not all couples (gay or straight) have kids, though. And straight couples also adopt.

As far as picking gender preference, it's a mixed bag. Now that I have the SimBlender, I'll often randomize orientation on that. Sometimes I let the sim decide, and sometimes it gets decided for me. (Several years ago, I had a Family Sim who liked blondes, but no matter how many blonde girls I sent him on dates with, he always yawned his way through them, rolled wants to call his mother or do his homework mid-date, and whined about not being in love when he wasn't on a date. Finally, in a fit of pique, I sent him on a date with a tattooed blonde male dormie -- and he immediately rolled up wants involving red lips, purple hearts, and engagement rings.) However, I do have a story that freely steals plots from is based on Gilbert & Sullivan operettas, and many of those plots involve childhood betrothal, romantic mix-ups, or both. If I am working with a plot where Sim A has to end up with Sim B, I will make sure that the gender preferences are correct. For instance, in an upcoming plot, Sim A is male, and I know which pregnancy will result in Sim B. If Sim B comes out female, then Sim A will be straight. If Sim B comes out male, then Sim A will be gay. Easy!

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Field Researcher
#19 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 4:40 AM
I allow ACR to decide my gender preference for most of my sims, though I do sometimes change orientation through "experiences" if the attraction is there. A blonde, straight female may have a lesbian friend who loves blondes and so she is constantly flirting with her and maybe that will change Blondie's orientation enough to make her curious.

As for children, my gay (and some heterosexual couples, if they're infertile) use adoption. If a gay sim (or any sim) really wants a child that is related to him, I will have them hire a surrogate and use SimBlender to make a sim "have baby" with one of the parents. For this to happen, certain criteria must be met: the surrogate sim must have a very high relationship with one of the parents (you don't go around having kids for just anyone, do you?), the surrogate sim must be in good health (fairly young, no recent illnesses), and the parent sim must pay the surrogate 10k before pregnancy and another 10k following the birth of the child. After the baby is born, I use SimPE to remove family ties from the surrogate and create a tie for the spouse + baby.

In a previous playthrough, I did use same-sex pregnancy, but I since I play a fairly 'normal' game, I used my own mental head-canon as the same-sex pregnancy was a genetic experiment run by resident mad scientist Alexander Goth (following in his dad's footsteps), who was commissioned by Malcolm Landgrabb and his husband. Using advanced technology, Alex was able to splice together two genetic codes and implant it into a host sim. However, the procedure was both very risky (I used a dice to decide whether the pregnancy would succeed or not--it did) and very expensive. I had the Landgrabb's send a big fat 100,000 check to Alexander just to start the experiment and then another 50k after the successful birth. However, because of the cost, this route is not available to most of my sims. Even Malcolm had to sell off a business to have the cold hard cash, as most of his wealth was tied up in community lots.

But... even though it was a success on paper, I did find that a daughter to Malcolm and another man had way, way too many male features. She looked like someone slapped a wig on a very ugly man. I tried to love her, really I did. I normally love 'unique' sims. But this was too much, even for me. She met Rodney's Death Creator at toddler-hood and I chalked it up to a terrible, terminal birth defect.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 5:12 AM
I made my original six core sims with the notion in mind that one of each gender would be gay, but I let them decide which one, and I made two students - Ben and Leslie Gay - to be the people who figured it out. Turned out Eppie Curian (Pleasure) and Greg Aerius (Popularity) were the ones. Greg married Ben (they can call it a joined union all they want; I got the same-sex hacks so as not to have to worry about which want meant what), but Leslie Gay is the most hardened serial dater in Drama Acres - just turned elder and no settling down in sight - and Eppie married her sorority sister Tiffany Sampson. When Greg and Ben both started rolling wants for babies, they adopted; and I started enjoying gene-mixing and regretting making the handsomest of my core male sims gay.

I didn't want to install a same-sex pregnancy mod because if men and women don't need each other to make babies what have they got two sexes for at all? I gave Greg an expensive telescope but could not get him abducted for love nor money. Meantime, Tiffany was rolling have baby wants, and Eppie - who would have had to co-sign the adoption papers - was dead set against it. So eventually I decided to heck with it. The two families were very close, living right across the street from each other, so one night in the hot tub Tiff started griping about Eppie's refusal to even consider adopting and Greg said; "Well, do you have a turkey baster?" And I deployed the power of the Tombstone of L&D and begat Epiphany, who takes after her handsome daddy to a spooky extent.She's gonna be a naked hot-tubber when she grows up, too!

Because of the genetic mixing, I've been a little reluctant to declare members of the rising generation gay, and though I've been calling my statistical cluster of girls "the generation of lesbians" for awhile, now that I'm in it I also got this great idea for a warehouse full of teen boys escaped from a secret cloning lab and now I've got plenty of boys to go around. For awhile I was mentally matching people at birth with the most compatible starsign in the same age cohort, but that encourages me to make matches too early and deprives me of lots of potential drama, especially in the teen years. But I do like hot chemistry. So I'm tentatively identifying starsign matches, and also taking random turn-ons (within reason; a teen with turn-ons for gray hair and 6+ job levels is getting a reroll) and interpreting them. A turn-on for make-up implies a prediliction for females, one for facial hair indicates attraction to males. Almost all my female sims wear makeup and almost all my male sims teen and up have at least a little stubble. Fitness is likely to indicate attraction to males and fatness attraction to females - not that I don't have fit females or fat males, but that these states maximize the secondary sexual characteristics of one, but not the other.

I use the adoption pool for straight and gay couples both - so a man with a six-kids want isn't in the position of pressuring a reluctant wife to put herself through six pregnancies - and where I don't want to lose genes I will continue to find story excuses for sperm donors. Sometimes even when I don't particularly want the genes. All my Gavigan children look way too much alike, and Naomi and Ezekial Gavigan in particular are clones (in fact I decided Naomi was a lesbian because she was a clone - if they're genetically identical, they should have identical predilictions), and Ezekial is an ob/gyn, so obviously if Naomi's wife Justine rolls a have-baby want, getting Ezekial to donate is the obvious thing to do, even if his boring Gavigan genes will dilute Justine's more interesting ones. Maybe I'll get lucky and the kid will take after Mom.

I made Derek "the black Tricou" Zarubin gay because he had a 50 1st dates want and I figured he could set a bunch of townie and dormie guys to gay just as Leslie has stocked the townie pool with lesbians; but what's actually happening is more interesting. He started rolling wants to date a guy with whom he had no chemistry at all, because he was straight - one of my femmes fatales had set his preference good and hard. This same femme had also broken hearts on both Derek's brothers-in-law, who were also his frat brothers and close friends, before they settled down with his sisters. So I figured Derek wanted to date Skylar to stick it to Georgette. And you know, the want is 50 1st dates, not 50 dates that had a hope in hell. So he makes friends with Skylar, dates him, gets him to bed (curiosity, I figure - Skylar's Knowledge) - and then starts rolling wants to commit. Which he'd never done before. And Skylar caught Georgette with his best friend, and then got abducted, and moved in with some friends who tried to take over his daughter and finally I just said, All right, Derek, don't blame me if you can't make a go of it with the straight guy.

So basically Derek's offered to rescue Sky and his baby girl from his untenable situation and Sky accepted the rescue. But they still don't bolt. And I don't know how it's going to turn out. Because what fun would that be? Eventually, gentle persistence on Derek's part will change his orientation, but it could take awhile and a lot of things could happen before then. And I'll feel really bad, because Derek deserves to be happy.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#21 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 6:16 AM
It's nothing to do with me, I let ACR make all the sexuality decisions in my hood. I don't do same-sex pregnancy, either, so gay male couples have to adopt, I also have a couple who used a surrogate, a female friend was inSiminated and gave birth to the baby, their daughter is not officially adopted by them but is the biological child of one of them and lives with them full-time.

Lesbian couples either adopt or find a suitable sperm donor, Ginger Newson had a daughter with David Ottomas despite being a lesbian, one night at a party curiosity got the better of her, and she spontaneously hooked up with David, who had been her BFF forever. One night was enough to convince Ginger she was NOT a fan of the cock, and she got daughter Kinsey as a happy little reminder of that fact...
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 7:27 AM
I don't have ACR so most of my sims are heteronormative, unfortunately. But I was pleasantly surprised to find Sally Riley (Tim Riley's daughter) is a lesbian when I sent her to college. She and Heather Huffington are my first same-sex couple.

I like to keep some realism to my game so they'll be adopting in the future, no bio kids. I really like the idea. There are a few adoptees in my own family (my sister and one of my uncles, we're all really close) so blood relation isn't that important to me. What matters is my sims love each other and that's what makes them family.

Other than that, I treat them just like any other Sim. They're in college right now. When they graduate, they'll pursue their careers before adopting.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 7:43 AM
I've been reading about the 'same sex marriage' hack. What does it do exactly?
Forum Resident
#24 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 8:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by M.M.A.A.

In the sims 2, you can only have a joined union and afk, no wedding.
But with the hack, you can strait out have a gay marriage and wedding.
Instructor
#25 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 8:20 AM
I generally decide whether my sims are gay or bisexual based on their personality, the way they act, and who they're attracted to obviously, although in my new custom 'hood I plan to try randomising it instead. I treat them pretty much the same as straight couples - they adopt if they roll the want, or have biological kids otherwise.

Also, I do tend to end up with a lot of gay people in most of my neighbourhoods. Probably due to my own gayness and annoyance at the lack of LGBT people I know IRL. :P

Quote: Originally posted by M.M.A.A.

I think it basically changes the 'Join Union' interaction in game to 'Get Married' for same-sex couples.

Call me Abi if you want, it's easier to type than my username!
Page 1 of 7