Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#151 Old 17th Aug 2014 at 1:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Question from Thirty Seconds Quizz: Whcih PC game was the first to legalize same-sex marriage? Answer: The Sims 2! ? (That was actually the question with which I won that contest the last time I played ) I have honestly never seen that joined union term in my game, @Peni Griffin - is it possible that these things are different in different countries?

Sims 1 had same sex marriage too, I thought.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#152 Old 17th Aug 2014 at 3:20 PM
Sims1 allowed same-sex couples, but instead of the "marriage" option with both parties swirling into formalwear and touching each other's hearts, you just got a "move-in." As long as the couple did lots of passionate kissing the odds of getting the adoption call were exactly the same, though. Sims1 marriage was an event, not a state.

Yes, it is entirely possible that the "joined union" was translated as "married" in other languages. It seems unlikely, but is not impossible, that the actual code was changed for releases in other countries; but it's possible that changing the term used is all that's necessary. You'd have to investigate - the test would be, to find a sim with a "relative gets married" want and a relative suitable for formalizing a same-sex relationship. If the ceremony satisfies the want, there you go.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#153 Old 17th Aug 2014 at 7:40 PM
@Peni Griffin - that is perhaps likely, although my Sims are also in English - possible perhaps becasue joined unions do not exist in SA, and gay marriages are completely legal in every way. I have switched over to the UC, I don't have played a lot yet since I am mostly still building a new neighbourhood, but I guess that would be universal. I still have the backup of my previous hood, but I haven't tried to install it again ( I don't think it will work, I had troubles already for having been forced to install the Sims 2 DVD suite after breaking my original Sims 2 no 3 disc) - but I had a number of same sex marriages, and a number of gay students, and a number of gay's marrying each other - and a very gay female student once who was a pre-made Sim! That's why I am so surprised !
Mad Poster
#154 Old 17th Aug 2014 at 9:03 PM
Over on MATY there is a last name chooser hack, not by Pescado, but by . . . Marhis, I think? I use that. On the occasion I have a joined union, and they aren't all that common in my game I often have the men keep their own names. Male pregnancy is alien pregnancy in my game, so the kids get their own sim-father's surname, because they aren't getting #whatever from their pollination technician parent. I don't think I've ever had a lesbian couple that was committed enough to get joined.
Anyway, on the subject of the hack, it pops up a window with a picture of one of the sims and asks if I want to use the sim pictured's name, the other sim, or no change. Unfortunately, it doesn't offer a hyphenated option.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Test Subject
#155 Old 18th Aug 2014 at 1:29 AM
I generally follow a mix of ACR and the sims wants. No same sex pregnancy of course, so if they want kids, they adopt. Apart from that, I play them the same as any other family.
Lab Assistant
#156 Old 18th Aug 2014 at 10:00 PM
I have quite a few lesbian couples, but that's mostly because I prefer making girl sims .-.
Mad Poster
#157 Old 23rd Aug 2014 at 10:12 AM
@Peni Griffin - interesting talk I had with a gay member of parliament (DA member, who is the official opposition) in my country who also happens to play Sims 2. He agrees that there is no joint union in our game - he also said that it probably would have had to be tweaked since it would be unconstitutional.
Test Subject
#158 Old 23rd Aug 2014 at 12:40 PM
A lot of my sims are either Gay/bi/Lesbian, and it's probably because i'm bi myself. I remember when I was like 8 and i started playing with the sims 2, I made a gay couple and it was like the most normal thing to me ^^
Alchemist
#159 Old 23rd Aug 2014 at 12:45 PM
When I was about 7 my two female sims autonomously started making out and I was really scared, such thoughts had never hit my head before and I turned of the game.

And I'm gay irl
Field Researcher
#160 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 11:58 AM
IRL bisexual here. For some reason I rarely play with LGBT sims these days. Back when I started out a sim could be living in a same-sex marriage but still date people of their own gender, I don't know why but it always turned out like that. Almost all my sims had at least one same-sex lover and again, I don't know why, their friendships just always developed into something more.
Out of Maxis made sims I usually had Benedict Monty marry another man, same often happened with Kent (?) Capp. Once I had Benedict marry this Downtownie with tan skin, black hair and stubble who wears a blue Hawaii shirt with white pants, I think they made a really nice couple. They were both hard-working guys and I really enjoyed playing with them. They never had any kids though, they were very work-oriented.
Scholar
#161 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 4:46 PM
I'm gay in real life, so I have a ton of LGBT sims in my hood.

ACR does it all for me. I set my rotational-play hood settings to 20% gay and 20% bisexual (making the rest 60% straight, then.) Now, you're probably thinking "Hey, that's quite a lot of LGB" sims running around compared to real life." Well, I set my settings to high so if a sim is deemed straight by ACR I strictly stick with that, meaning I actually have less gay couples in my game compared to Maxis's original 100% Bisexual/Undecided hoods. Also, not every bisexual sim ends up with someone of the same gender either, in fact, a lot of them are in monogamous heterosexual relationships.

I do play with same sex pregnancies mod installed, because everyone could have their own babies in a perfect world (Read: The adoption pool is so full of fug I cringe at the thought), and I just can't pass up the opportunity to see genetics at play!

I also have a few transgender sims in my hood, but those are quite rare and probably only occur maybe once a generation in the entire neighborhood. I'm not really sure what makes me think "Hey, I think this sim is transgender" but it happens every now and again. I actually have quite a detailed process of it using CC clothes and SimPE.

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Mad Poster
#162 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 4:54 PM
Can we honestly say we know the realistic statistics of real life in terms of bi/gay/straight? I personally doubt it. And besides, why would the game have to match reality? It's our sandbox, we can have 100% gay if we want to :P

In light of this thread, I decided my game needs more variety, and have since added a bunch of gay Sims. Really looking forward to playing them.
Scholar
#163 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 5:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
Can we honestly say we know the realistic statistics of real life in terms of bi/gay/straight? I personally doubt it. And besides, why would the game have to match reality? It's our sandbox, we can have 100% gay if we want to :P

Many people play there game as close to real life as they possibly can so those figures might be important to them, without going into psychology, social norms, and advanced biology, etc. We can say a reasonable number for people who playing somewhere in the U.S. could be anywhere between 1-10% as compared to 60% or 80%. I'm not one of those people that try to make the game as realistic as possible. I play as I think a perfect world would be because this game is for me to have fun and relax

Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
In light of this thread, I decided my game needs more variety, and have since added a bunch of gay Sims. Really looking forward to playing them.

Well, I certainly hope you have fun. I had to do the opposite however, my neighborhoods were beginning to be composed entirely of wealthy lesbian couples.

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Page 7 of 7