Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 12:33 PM
Default What custom foods do you use?
I'm starting to get bored of the limited options for breakfast, lunch and dinner with just Maxis food. There are over 300 downloads of custom food here though and I don't want to download something that I'm going to want to take out later as I know that's a VBT.

So, if you use them, what custom food downloads do you like and why?

Also, someone help me here lol.

https://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=529140

This roll has samurai in it? Now the only samurai I know of are Japanese warriors (and even Wikipedia does not come up with an alternate type of samurai that I would want to eat lol). I am, however, presuming that, despite the Devil in the title, this download is not advocating cannibalism and that there is a culturally distinct meaning that I don't know? XD
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 1:18 PM
Sorry for my English, I am not a native speaker.
I use custom food and I have some download from TSR, especially cakes and biscuits.
I also have some pizza, sushi and italian food. Since I am Italian, I like my Sims to eat also Italian food, such as pasta with different sauces, but usually italian food download are not created by italian people and they are.. weird for us ^-^"

About cakes, I have Exnem's ones http://www.thesimsresource.com/down...tion/id/415041/
I also found a list with a lot of edible and non-edible food and links, but I can't find it now. I will edit the message if I find it =)
Mad Poster
#3 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 1:33 PM
I like foods which look maxis match, I don't like badly skinned ones or oddly photoskinned ones.
Scholar
#4 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 2:08 PM
I like the different breads with cheese, sausage, bananna, jam, ... because that´s what we are eating for breakfast and evening meal where I live. It´s not that especially like that stuff, but it´s what I grew up on and see people eat.
In addition I downloaded a hacked kiddie stove that produces pizza and chinese food, a buyable dino leg for my prehistoric sims and some other odds and ends I chose because they looked tasty (stuffed bell pepper, fruit salad with yoghurt, pudding, several cakes).
I try to avoid food straight from the fridge, because it seems a waste of a good skilling opportunity, but sometime these just look too good to pass them down.

@Charity, I think samurai refers to the sausage. Perhaps where the creator lives this kind of sausage is called samurai and they didn´t anticipate that it might not be internationally understood? (In Germany we happily eat Hamburger, Berliner and Römerbraten (roasted roman) ). Like in the old joke with the alien that goes to the supermarket. He finds a tin with t picture of carrots on, opens, in there are carrots. The next tin pictures beans, inside are beans. And then he comes across one showing a smiling baby...
Mad Poster
#5 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 2:53 PM Last edited by lauratje86 : 29th Jul 2014 at 3:17 PM.
I don't have any custom foods in my game at the moment, but I am a big fan of Morague's restaurant meals at home series, as well as her microwaveable meals series (only useful if your sims generally have microwaves, obviously!) :-) Oh, and her baked/grilled ribs! These foods on sticks are also cooked on a grill. I like having extra options for the microwave and grill as otherwise owning them feels a bit pointless!

I am also about to re-download a few Christmassy foods for my game, as it's Winter's Day tomorrow in my Widespot and quite a lot of household will want to celebrate! I particularly like these gingerbread men and this fruit cake.

I don't like foods that require way more cooking skill than you'd expect. For example, pretty much anything cloned from the lobster thermidore! :-D Or sandwiches that require 4+ points, simple soups cloned from the chilli con carne and so on. Often I download them anyway, but it does bug me!
Field Researcher
#6 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 3:07 PM
I used to have custom foods, but it irritated me too much that half of the menu was in Danish and the other half was in English (and not even knowing half of those English meals), so I removed them a few months ago.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 3:15 PM
I have... a lot of custom food. Mostly from here. I prefer food that is relatively normal, something I would eat myself. Yoghurt with fruit or sliced bread with ham, soups, fish fingers and mashed potatoes... The watermelon is nice for summer parties, since it doesn't require preparation.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 3:15 PM Last edited by gazania : 30th Jul 2014 at 7:48 PM.
I have sushi, deep-dish pizza, chocolate ganache brownies, peanut butter cookies, Christmas cookies (I downloaded this before I got the Holiday SP, but no matter ... these won't bring Santa), Profiteroles, lime-seared prawns and a few other items.

While I usually get CC from all over, food is an exception. I got most of it from here from creators such as Morague. I'm very picky about food items, since they can be a pain to remove from the game, and can even cause hood corruption if you're careless. I make sure to test them in my junk hood first, just in case. I pay special attention to make sure that nothing got overwritten, and carefully read every comment here about the item in question.

Nevertheless, I have quite a few. I added some because I felt that certain categories needed more variety; for instance, adding more seafood. Many reflect my own favorite foods. (Not Goombas!)

(Note to new Sims players ... custom foods can often spawn a memory of making that food. It's somewhat like animated animals/custom NPCs, though not quite as thorny. If you like the food, enjoy! Some of my custom foods have been in my game for at least a few years, and I can't imagine not having them now. It adds variety to your Sims' palates. But be careful about removing them, since that can affect memories and cause corruption. In the case of new foods, I back up my game, then test them in a junk hood. If the food looks really hideous or is glitched... and I find most look great with no problems... I remove the food and junk the hood.)

Some custom food in my game:

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=510762 (I found I needed more bakery items. This was why the peanut butter cookies are in my food menu as well.)
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=173093 (Because ... pizza.)
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=236831 (More seafood, please.)
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=243197 (Great item for bakeries, and apparently, for beginning cooks as a breakfast food!)
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=163739 (I like sushi.)

Oh ... and Goombas on the test game. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=189954 I don't believe they're quite up there with babies. My daughter found the Goombas amusing. (Embarrassing disclaimer.)

For newbies: Some older foods may require a fix to call Sims to eat them. I'll try to find it, but for some reason, my Google-fu is broken.

And some good food mods here: http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#9 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 6:27 PM Last edited by Simonut : 29th Jul 2014 at 10:40 PM.
Yes I do use custom food, but one need to think twice, as to what food you "really want" and place in your game. Because once it become your Sims favorite food, and you take it out your game can become corrupt.
So yes I love custom food I just make double sure I will never take the food out. One funny thing recent I started my game over, I wanted to use Tarlia's clean template ( which I love ) so I started fresh from the bottom up.
I decided to go through my download folder way before starting over to get rid of CC I did not want anymore; so when it came to the foods I went over it twice to get rid of some foods. But I could not let any of my custom foods go, so they are for keep.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Scholar
#10 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 10:18 PM
The 'samurai', looking at the images of the sandwich, I'd say is meant to be salami or a similar item (it belongs to the family of cured sausage).

As for me, I have a ton of custom foods from here and TSR. My philosopy on foods is trying to get a range of cuisines and cooking skill levels. I've begun to pick and choose from what AriesFlare is making currently (like the cupcakes or the 'sloppy seconds'). I adore simaddict99's selection of foods -- they have a selection of indian, cajun, japanese, chinese, italian, and greek, as well as some desserts. As for other things I have from MTS: falafel, cheese subs, breakfast pastries, brownies, the creme brulée from this set, french toast (mesh does go wonky for me when half-eaten), eggs benedict, profiteroles, lasagne, morague's restaurant meals at home, chocolate pudding, sweet little bons, toast and oatmeal, garden salad, fruit & yogurt, english muffins, buffalo/chicken wings four ways, country fried steak (oh hell, just pick anything by eris3000), loads from bienchen83 including cooking for dummies (30 dishes, most not needing a single cooking point and none needing more than 4, good for my recently-moved out sims [both college and into their own house]), non-default drinks (also recommend picking up the noted mod in the description). Edit 2: sweet tartlettes on insim (cloned from nectarine tartlette).

And that's only the foods I can find right now without going in game. I, uh, may have a little addiction...

Edit: As to why I like them? Almost all of what I've posted are of good quality and fill a niche I have in my game. I like having varying cuisines, so simaddict99 nicely fits into that slot. Bienchen83 offers a load of low-skill-required foods. The mix of breakfast and dessert options gives me more things to feed my sims.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 7:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Thax
I used to have custom foods, but it irritated me too much that half of the menu was in Danish and the other half was in English (and not even knowing half of those English meals), so I removed them a few months ago.

I don't like half of the menu in Italian and half in English, but I don't know how I can change the name of food and translate everything in Italian. Any suggestion?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 7:39 AM Last edited by Charity : 30th Jul 2014 at 8:43 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by elly87
I don't like half of the menu in Italian and half in English, but I don't know how I can change the name of food and translate everything in Italian. Any suggestion?

You'd have to open the custom food up in SimPE and change the pie menus and the catalogue description to the correct words. Pick Pie Menu Strings (and Catalogue Description after that) from the resource tree in plugin view and look for where it says English. Click on the drop down menu and you can pick tons of other languages. You can also click on 'make default' after you've picked a language to change it from the English default. Commit and save.

If your language of choice comes up with empty, then you'll have to type the correct word in the 'String' box yourself.

Oh and I loved the dog and cat treats here. http://www.thesimsresource.com/arti.../page/3/cnt/78/ Does anyone else have any custom cat/dog food links?
Field Researcher
#13 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 5:13 PM
I don't have any and don't have plans on getting any. My sims pretty much eat the same thing all the time (I'll often make in bulk and store hundreds of individual plates in the fridge.) I've never worried about the lack of realism (after all, real people don't just eat grilled cheese either, delicious as it might be.)
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 7:38 PM
I, also, think the 'samurai' is some kind of sausage. I'm sure if you ask lientebollemeis , they will tell you what it actually is. All of lientebollemeis subs come off a menu of a sub shop in their hometown. I check daily to see if lientebollemeis has a new sub I can download.

I have most of the foods Katya Stevens mentioned and I thank her for the link of the ones I don't have. I have the stuffed turkey, roast beef, glazed ham, stuffed green peppers, T-bone steak, fried chicken, lots of soups, a lot of sandwiches, and even more baked goods. I think most of these came from here or TSR.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 1:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by egswanso
I don't have any and don't have plans on getting any. My sims pretty much eat the same thing all the time (I'll often make in bulk and store hundreds of individual plates in the fridge.) I've never worried about the lack of realism (after all, real people don't just eat grilled cheese either, delicious as it might be.)

I also don't have any for similar reasons. I don't vary what my sims most of the time, as long as they're full.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 1:42 AM
I thought the samurai was actually meant to be salami.
Inventor
#17 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 3:01 AM
Ah, it looks like lientebollemeis has added even more sandwiches to his/her downloads page. I last checked in with lientebollemeis right after that chicken fiesta sub. Time for four new downloads....

So yeah, I like lientebollemeis' sandwiches. Unlike other creators with other sandwiches, lientebollemeis' sandwiches are pretty much cloned off of lunch meat sandwiches, so you don't need to know how to make lobster thermidor before you can make a lousy hero sub. As I've been reporting back to lientebollemeis, Sims will also roll up Wants about making and eating these sandwiches, and new Wants are always nice (in this case, for Cuisine hobbyists in particular).

My favorite is the bicky sub, just because of the name. Bicky sub! Bicky! Bicky bicky bicky!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 3:32 AM
A biscuit sub lol?

I had problems with lientebollemeis' pet careers (my dog kept coming home without a body). The subs work fine?
Test Subject
#19 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 3:45 AM
I found this amazing archive of food that has pretty much every type of food imaginable in it. It seriously spoils you for choice with what to make every meal. It's especially great for bakeries and such!

http://mishas-sims.tumblr.com/post/78978593116

- Autumn x
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 3:48 AM
I need that chocolate cake! Note to self: do not browse food downloads until after eating lunch.
Inventor
#21 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 4:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
A biscuit sub lol?

I had problems with lientebollemeis' pet careers (my dog kept coming home without a body). The subs work fine?

Yep! The serving plates for group meals don't look empty when they actually are empty, but that's it for the bad news. The subs turn sparkly if your fridge has enough fresh food stocked, too.
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 7:18 AM Last edited by lientebollemeis : 31st Jul 2014 at 7:40 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
A biscuit sub lol?

A bicky sandwich is actually a meatball sandwich. Bicky is just a brand.
I know the names are sometimes weird but as it is been said before, the subs are based ln the subs availabne in a sub store in my hometown. I tried to translate them the best I could.
About the samurai I had to be more specific in the upload. It's actually a very spicy sauce that makes your mouth burn like hell (devil).
I figjred out why there is a new want. The subs are cloned from lunch meat sandwich and there is a want for. So obviously there is also a want for the cloned subs.
The plate of the subs is not empty when they are gone but that's an error of the maker or the mesh. I just recolored that mesh. There is nothing I can do about that.

About the dog career: did you try the career without any other downloads? It's probably a conflict with another download. No one ever told me about such an error with my pet careers. Do you have the same problem when the cat uses the career?
And does that happen for all my pet careers or just one?
Do you also notice this problem with my teen and adult careers?
I need all this information to help you.
I'd wish you told me before and in the comment section of the correct download.

If you have any questions or problems with any of my creations, please, let me now and give some specific info about the problem so I can help better.
I feel really sorry to read you had troubles with my pet careers and that I couldn't help you before.

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Scholar
#23 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 10:44 AM
I have only liente's Orange Cake in my game for custom food
I serve it literally all the time because it's different for them ^o^

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Alchemist
#24 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 11:51 AM
Only one: paella
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 12:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kankritty
I have only liente's Orange Cake in my game for custom food
I serve it literally all the time because it's different for them ^o^

It's so nice to read that people really like the things I made. It makes me wanting to create more.

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Page 1 of 4