Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Aug 2014 at 5:52 AM
Default Neighborhood disasters for your sims?
So I've seen Sims 3 do this with zombies, deleted lots, etc.

I thought it would be interesting if I had a natural disaster that my sim families had to recover from. It would be the entire neighborhood (every lot) that would be affected. I figure I could demolish a few houses and maybe take some money away from sims. I also thought it would be good to remove a few bigger community lots.

I was wondering if anyone else has done something like this and if you had any pointers to offer. Any ideas other than tornadoes? (This is odd coming from me. I live in Tornado Alley. )

For my physical health, I can't eat cheesecake everyday.
For my mental health, I imagine eating cheesecake everyday.
It's a delicate balance.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 19th Aug 2014 at 6:00 AM
Poverty plagues my sims so that's enough for them, but I do know there is a zombie apocalypse mod. Never used it myself, but I know it causes zombie sims to attack other sims and if they win those target sims also become a zombie. http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...pic,6720.0.html

There is also real sickness mod someplace, although I hear it's pretty deadly.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 19th Aug 2014 at 6:21 AM
Set the seasons to winter/winter/summer/summer and tear half the roof off every house to simulate a worsening climate and poor infrastructure that can't get them roofing supplies when the superstorms tear their roofs off?

Turn off the power. Disallow all electronic items that use house current - burglar and fire alarms, stereos, computers, TVs.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 19th Aug 2014 at 10:32 PM
I haven't really attempted any, but I do have a couple of ideas.

* The blazing summer heat. Everyone and their grandmother turns up the A/C to full blast. The power plants, so overwhelmed by this surge in power demand, just quit. Now you're in the blazing summer heat, minus the A/C. No electronics, and unfortunately for you, you live in a neighborhood with the worst insulation ever. Sim temperature continues to rise even when indoors. How to keep cool? Well, aside from standing in front of the refrigerator with the door open so it feels like it's snowing outside (shoot, can't do that, no electricity!), have a water balloon fight. You have time, as school has been cancelled and workplaces closed. Invite the neighbors over and have a worthwhile experience in making friends - by throwing water balloons at them.

* A serious epidemic has swept the country, and unfortunately for you, your neighborhood is one of the affected areas. A strict quarantine has been imposed around the area, school and workplaces have been closed, and residents are only advised to leave their homes if absolutely necessary. Curfew from 10pm to 6am - anyone found wandering outside of their property will either be killed (left to the imagination of the player), or abducted by aliens, and then killed.With no money from your day job coming in, you must work at home, painting paintings or doing anything else that can earn you money at home, because your electricity and water companies are all jerks and they still deliver bills to your house, mailman with a medical mask for safety. Not an artist? Not an author? Well, now you have no choice. Staying at home proves fruitful to your artistic side.
Theorist
#5 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 12:23 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 20th Aug 2014 at 3:10 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by k6ka
Curfew from 10pm to 6am - anyone found wandering outside of their property will either be killed (left to the imagination of the player), or abducted by aliens, and then killed.

Immediate death by whatever means, or later death by anal probing - interesting choice. Reminds me of an old joke I can't quite remember.
Theorist
#6 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 1:30 AM
Earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, fires (home and wildfires), volcanic eruptions, alien invasion, rampaging robots, locusts, invading army, bombing raid, Mardi Gras street party, and interior decorators.

Are you writing a story, taking pictures, trying to play through it, or just trying to come up with a justification in your head?

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Test Subject
#7 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 1:57 AM
You could also add this mod for more extreme temperatures during summer and winter. (I use it and it works pretty well. Basically any time spent outside will affect them.)

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=255254

There's also a mod somewhere (can't find it now) that lets you take either a hot or cold shower that goes with that nicely. Of course, if you don't have running water in your hood, you could put in a water barrel shower!

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=423721
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 6:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by esmeiolanthe
Earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, fires (home and wildfires), volcanic eruptions, alien invasion, rampaging robots, locusts, invading army, bombing raid, Mardi Gras street party, and interior decorators.

Are you writing a story, taking pictures, trying to play through it, or just trying to come up with a justification in your head?

No. Nothing like that. I take the worst pictures (in my mind) so I couldn't really do a proper story though there are plenty in my neighborhoods. What I want is to try something fun and new in my neighborhood. Well, for me anyway. Might not be fun for the sims.

For my physical health, I can't eat cheesecake everyday.
For my mental health, I imagine eating cheesecake everyday.
It's a delicate balance.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 11:18 AM
You can download a mod which adds an option to the weather controller called "Rocks fall, everyone dies". Apparently it really decimates a lot and the people on it. Sometimes it will kill all of your sims, if you're clever and maybe build some kind of shelter perhaps they could survive. You could do this for every lot and then play through the apocalypse challenge (you have to adapt it when playing a whole neighbourhood, but if it's just for fun you can make up the rules as you go) - sims may only live on a designated 8x8 area of their lot, everything around this is not re-buildable, food is scarce, water, electricity. As you unlock each career certain things in the neighbourhood become able to be accessed again. See if you can build them back up from nothing.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Instructor
#10 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 1:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
You can download a mod which adds an option to the weather controller called "Rocks fall, everyone dies". Apparently it really decimates a lot and the people on it. Sometimes it will kill all of your sims, if you're clever and maybe build some kind of shelter perhaps they could survive.

You wouldn't happen to have a link to that mod, or know where to find it, would you?
Mad Poster
#11 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 1:29 PM
I think it's at MATY but I don't remember. Google the name and weather controller and it should come up.

Instructor
#12 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 2:51 PM
I think it's at MATY but I don't remember. Google the name and weather controller and it should come up.

I managed to find it, but unfortunately the link to download it leads to dropbox and doesn't seem to work for me.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 23rd Aug 2014 at 3:11 PM
That doesn't sound right. I'll have a look

It's working for me from this page. If you click it it should start to download automatically. http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,14598.0.html

Instructor
#14 Old 23rd Aug 2014 at 3:43 PM
That doesn't sound right. I'll have a look

It's working for me from this page. If you click it it should start to download automatically. http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,14598.0.html

Instead of downloading, it opens up a new page that's gibberish. I've attached a screenshot. It's really weird, I've never had problems at the MATY site before.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#15 Old 23rd Aug 2014 at 11:32 PM
Hmm, that's odd. Have you tried right clicking and "save this link as..."

It will be related to dropbox rather than MATY I think.

Instructor
#16 Old 24th Aug 2014 at 9:10 AM
Hmm, that's odd. Have you tried right clicking and "save this link as..."

It will be related to dropbox rather than MATY I think.

Yes, I tried that, but it saves as a text file, not a package file. It's weird. because I've downloaded things from dropbox before and never had a problem.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 24th Aug 2014 at 5:04 PM
I had a neighbourhood of 70 houses in a 1-day rotational hood once. One sim (my friend's simself) got sick with a cold and I didn't manage to treat it before I moved on to the next house in the rotation, and somehow they managed to infect almost everyone in the neighbourhood. Tim (my boyfriends simself) the Mad Scientist tried to make medicine which I thought would cure diseases... It didn't... gave everyone the 'mystery disease'. After that my Sims were dropping like flies (and the majority of the neighbourhood bed-ridden) until I found out I can make them immune (using the 'make me sick tester') but only IF they're healthy. So any healthy sim was made immune, and those that weren't were locked in their bedrooms. I stopped playing the neighbourhood about a year ago, so I can't remember if the "plague" (as me and my friends refer to it as) was still killing people, or if everyone had been treated. Somehow ghosts managed to get the mystery disease (and be cured of it) and I think that also helped spread it to other generations, but I was only playing base game so there was no moving of graves to graveyards.

That's the only neighbourhood wide disaster I've ever had. Now whenever my sims come home from work with a cold, I'm like "VACCINATE THE CHILDREN, LOCK UP THE ILL, BRING OUT YOUR DEAD".

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
#18 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 5:20 PM
I never played my towns during an actual disaster, but one time I was starting a new neighborhood called Springwater Station. My old hood Simstown somewhat exploded and I really liked two of my family names from it so I made up a story that there was a "Great Flood of Simstown" and only three Sims survived- Allison Lightyear (named after her great grandmother, the original Allison Lightyear), her husband Anthony Lightyear (he took her name because the Lightyears love to pass on their name), and Daniel Piccolo.
Now I'm in the process of making another new hood from scratch (I was kind of lazy and sloppy with my first Springwater Station) where I will keep the Piccolo name, but they will have no ties to my previous Piccolos.