Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Sep 2017 at 1:25 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Anyone with experience with hair on Milkshape?
After my recent topic in the WCIF thread of the particular hair I was looking for, I decided to create a model of John Smith's hair on 3D Max. Presently, the model is complete with materials I also created, and I even designed the helmet.

However, I do not have Milkshape and am not really interested in getting it even though I could, and I'm sorry if that sounds lazy. Therefore I'm seeking out someone who does have experience with hair on Milkshape and is willing to take and turn my models and materials into an ultimate package file for Sims 2.

If it is actually possible to create the package without going through Milkshape and needing only the .obj and materials, where can I find a tutorial for that? I have sorted through several tutorials on how to design custom meshes for Sims 2, but they all require Milkshape which limits things.

The screenshots show what my hair model looks like. With both the hair and the helmet, this project lasted three days.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Sep 2017 at 2:12 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 24th Sep 2017 at 12:57 PM.
I think you can use a program called Blender for bodyshop projects, but you need the right plugins. Blender is free, but considerably more difficult to use than Milkshape (and 3Dmax, in my opinion anyway)

Link for Blender: https://www.blender.org/
Plugins (not sure if they're the correct ones, since they're kinda old) - http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=246658
Tutorial: http://modthesims.info/t/248699

Personally, I prefer Milkshape for readying a mesh for importing to SimPE, because meshes imported from other 3D programs often cause annoying errors (but I mostly use 3DMax for meshing, since Milkshape is a lousy meshing program for anything other than small adjustments).

You have to take the mesh through a meshing program like Milkshape (or any program with the proper plugins) because
1: you need to shape the hair to the head(s) you want the hair for, and you often have to adjust the size and shape to make it fit
2: You have to assign the mesh to the skeleton/bones/joints
3: You need to fix the comments (text that tells the game important information about the mesh)
4: The mesh you import into SimPE has to be a GMDC/SMD mesh, since Obj meshes can't carry information about joint assignment.

Only meshes for objects can be imported as obj files, because they don't usually require having to be assigned to joints.

By the way, the help section for bodyshop items is here: http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=444
A moderator will probably move it for you.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Sep 2017 at 3:22 AM
I was able to find Wall Worm for 3D Max. I'll play around with that to see what I can accomplish.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Sep 2017 at 10:56 AM
@simmer22 - your link for the tutorial and the plug in is the same.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#5 Old 24th Sep 2017 at 12:56 PM
I had both links up when I posted, so I probably just copied the wrong link. I've fixed it now.
Inventor
Original Poster
#6 Old 24th Sep 2017 at 5:14 PM
I guess assigning bone to a hair mesh to give it enhanced structure would make sense, hence how I've seen a few hairs in Sims 2 move when their owner moves around.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 24th Sep 2017 at 5:29 PM
All CAS parts have to be assigned to one or more bone, or they won't move with the sim at all.

Hairs can be animated by assigning the lower parts of the hair to one of the hair bones, but the upper parts of the hair should be assigned to the head.