Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#26 Old 15th Jan 2016 at 10:32 PM Last edited by gazania : 16th Jan 2016 at 2:19 PM.
Suggestion?

If the mods allow it, this survey should be in all four series forums. I would think many people here prefer Sims 3. Just a guess. And I have no problem with a survey for personal reasons. For years, I've wanted a survey. David Poston just had the inclination to pursue it.

Anyway ...

1. About how long would you say you have been playing The Sims?
Since March 2006. I was a little late to the party.

2. On a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being not much at all to 5 being of course that's me, would you consider yourself being a Sims fanatic?
Five. Worse yet, I also play Free Play when I'm not around my PC, but have access to my tablet or phone.

3. (Warning this question is very common and probably somewhat difficult to answer) Which Sims section be it 1,2,3, medieval, or 4 is your favorite? Would you recommended it to others?
Two. But I've been playing Three often as well since I've finally succumbed to temptation concerning it. Strange it took Sims 4 to do that!

Would I recommend Sims 2 or 3? Depends on the genre the person prefers. If the person likes shooter games, a life simulation game might be boring! As for two v. three, depends on what type of life simulation game the person prefers. Both are different from each other.

4. Which Sims section do you play most often?
Still Sims 2, but now it's more 2/3 Sims 2 and 1/3 Sims 3. I don't play Sims 1 as much now. Something about Sims 3 piqued my interest at least a little over the years; at least enough to try it. Whether I stick with it, time will tell. No Sims 4, though. I simply am not interested in it at this time. Not even a little.

5. On a scale of 1 to 5, again with 1 being low and 5 being yes, where would you rate yourself as a player who uses cheats a lot and has a lot of custom content in any of the games?
I cheat. I don't hide it. 5. If I'm playing a challenge, though, I do follow any rules concerning cheats. And I like custom content. My Sims 3 folders are already growing, and I just got the game for Christmas. I try to allow myself only one to three downloads for testing per day, though.

6. Which transition of sims games do you think had the most improvement and why? (i.e 1 to 2, 2 to 3, or 3 to 4)
1 to 2.. Appearance of the Sims themselves, more creativity in placing and building lots, etc. But I do appreciate that Sims 1 started it all.

7. Which base game of the Sims 1, 2, 3, and 4 do you think could of used more time and improvement?
Sims 2 is the only game I've played base-game only, so I can't answer this very well. But 4 just did not look focused to me. It almost seemed to me like EA said, "Close enough. Let's shove it out there and fine-tune it later."

8. Which game do you feel is the most "custom friendly"? meaning it is more open to your own content
Depends again. Meshing and hoods, as well as more freedom to place my lots where I wish ... Sims 2. Also, I like designing community lots. (Looks to see if you CAN create non-rabbithole community lots now. I still have much to learn about 3. Raises eyebrows when she discovers that yes ... they do exist. Am now going to Google to find out how to create these. I might be a little busy for a while. I see these ... http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...g_TS3_Lot_Types,http://www.modthesims.info/d/435107 and http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/542377.page... hmmmm .... )
Custom color-matching and coordination, as well as different hair highlights ... Sims 3. I can see why people like Create-a_Style, and why people were not happy it wasn't in Sims 4.

9. Last question: If there was a sims 5 base game that had the ages of baby, toddler, child, pre-teen, teen, young adult, adult, and elder and was pretty much like the sims 3 in having the open neighborhood but the gameplay and options were more like 2 would you consider buying it and paying for it for $60?
Not for $60. I'd wait until it goes down in price, and wait for an EP or two. I would also want to see if there were any game- or computer-stopping bugs, and if it was compatible with my computer set-up. But I would say that EA would be going in the right direction.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Advertisement
Scholar
#27 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 11:49 AM
Started with playing sims 1. I played sims 1 to 3 extensively. This series is probably in the top 5 of most played single player games for me.
2. On a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being not much at all to 5 being of course that's me, would you consider yourself being a Sims fanatic?
I don't see myself as sims fanatic (maybe just generally a games fanatic).
3. (Warning this question is very common and probably somewhat difficult to answer) Which Sims section be it 1,2,3, medieval, or 4 is your favorite? Would you recommended it to others?
Sims 3. But because it can be such a pain to get TS3 running smoothly with custom content included, I probably would recommend TS2 for people new to the series instead :p
Sims 3. I don't want to play without open world and CASt anymore.
5. On a scale of 1 to 5, again with 1 being low and 5 being yes, where would you rate yourself as a player who uses cheats a lot and has a lot of custom content in any of the games?
5, because I always use custom content and mods and cheats to start a neighbourhood the way I want.
6. which transition of sims games do you think had the most improvement and why? (i.e 1 to 2, 2 to 3, or 3 to 4)
The sims 1 to sims 2 probably, because of the transition to 3D.
7. Which base game of the Sims 1, 2, 3, and 4 do you think could of used more time and improvement?
Sims 1 and 2 base game are too long ago for me, so I just answer for 3 and 4. Sims 3 could've used a lot more optimisation and bugfixing. Sims 4 can use so much that it makes me angry, so let's skip it.
8. Which game do you feel is the most "custom friendly"? meaning it is more open to your own content
The sims 3 for the simple reason that there are more different things to customize and a huge part of that you can do ingame (CASt).
9. Last question: If there was a sims 5 base game that had the ages of baby, toddler, child, pre-teen, teen, young adult, adult, and elder and was pretty much like the sims 3 in having the open neighborhood but the gameplay and options were more like 2 would you consider buying it and paying for it for $60?
Wishes schmishes :p
Maybe a bit too many life stages for me. I never really cared about the (superficial and arbitrary imo) YA/A distinction for example and I also wonder about that many child lifestages. The more distinctive you would make those lifestages in gameplay and clothes they can wear, the more work it becomes for new ep's and custom content. I would like to see less lifestages and then emphasize more on them. Baby, child (pre-teen included), teen, adult, elder is enough for me. Then, you could still decide to give for example child and teen certain milestones based on their age. Similar to real life. So, prom or driving license when teens reach a certain age for example.
But more important, give me the option to change that, so I can give kids a driving license using cheats if I would want to :p

Other then that, it sounds ok.
Scholar
#28 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 11:00 PM
1. I started playing about 2- 3 years after Sims 1 started.
2. I don't know how to measure that. I don't run out and buy all things sim as soon as they are available. I do play a lot and think about it a fair amount and follow a couple-few sims forums. I learned a fair amount of object modification, neighborhood building, etc., for sims 2 and I'm trying to get set up for world making for sims 3. I am uninspired to buy Sims 4 because it isn't the game I wanted. So? 3? 4?
3. My favorite is still 2. I'm playing 3 only right now because I just gopt it a few months ago and I'm enjoying it. I have never played medieval or 4 so I don't feel qualified. I would recommend 1,2,or 3 with enthusiasm.
4. Right now, 3. I may get bored and go back to 2, or not.
5. Those are two separate measures, I think, but I think I am a 3 for cheats and a 4 for mods.
6. The most impressive change to me was between 1 and 2. I do love CASt and open world, but they don't frankly change the game as much as the switch to sims that age and die and the buildable neighborhood.
7. I would have to have played all 5 games to have a reliable opinion on this. All of the games have their bits that seem rushed. Rumor makes it seem like 4 had a complete turnaround in goals and vision halfway through development, but I don't know this is true.
8.There are two ways to take this. Sims 2 is clearly the one most friendly to fans making really new things (new objects, with new functions) for the game--just look at the downloads section here, or at any place that hosts things for all the games. But you could be talking about CASt, which is pretty satisfying for in-game customization. But that's superficial, even though it is delightful.
9. Of course I would be happy to consider a rival Sims-like game family. I have been saying lately it's a shame nobody else is developing such a game. I disagree with the poster before me, because the toddler stage has always been a particular favorite of mine. The Sims 2 toddler, who had activities of their own and especially social interactions with other toddlers and children and pets, is still my favorite. Though I also enjoy the fact that Sims 3 toddlers can get a head start on certain skills. And I adore the Imaginary Friend, which I understand is a minority opinion.

Things I'd like to see: easier world creation and lot placement. I understand why these are so much more complicated in Sims 3, and what we got in exchange for it, but I think it's just more cumbersome than necessary. I specifically looked forward to CAW and I can't make it work on my computer because I can't see the whole world on my little screen.
Vacations without the tomb quests and visa points. Those are just so annoying that I haven't sent my sims on a vacation in forever even though I specifically got WA on purpose (mostly for the nectary which I havent got yet). Less complicated special skills like cooking and nectarmaking and gardening. Variety is nice but it's overdone and overelaborate in Sims 3. Everything should have some consequence, too, even if it's small.I mean especially if it's small. I hate game-destroying consequences. Or that circular nonsense where you have to go to all the different vacation places just to do anything because you need this bit from that place in order to do the first thing over there but you have to go back because...

Less emphasis on quests in general.

Personalities _and_ traits as modifiers. Attraction system like in Sims 2, tied into the favorites, so the favorites have consequence (oh yes and why do Sims 3 sims have favorite music and colors when it never makes the slightest difference in their mood or behavior?). Create-A-Sim with true (simplified) Mendelian genetics (like Sims 2, but better, with features being blended). Fat sims that don't clip--honestly I am unlikely to make a real selfsim because clipping nauseates me.

Okay, you hit a nerve, I guess, but I should stop now.
Forum Resident
#29 Old 17th Jan 2016 at 6:43 PM

15 years, I started with Sims 1 in 2000. Actually though, I was playing Sim City in the 90s. I remember wishing I could get closer to my little people.

Yeah, I'm off the scale. I love the game and still play some version several times a week at least. I'd have to go with a 7.

Sims 1: Awesome, ground breaking, still fun, but the graphics are dated and building is frustrating. It will always hold a soft spot in my heart though.

Sims 2: Great game, needs quite a lot of CC to make the appearance bearable, in many ways it's the best for family style playing. I spent a lot of time playing and modding the game, it broke my heart to leave it behind, I rarely play it.

Sims 3: Definitely my favorite. The CAST system allows for endless variety, I love the open worlds. It is a beast of a game though, very hard to keep it going. I use mods (NRAAS, default replacements) but no CC. I find it takes a lot of time and energy though. When I'm busy with life, I just can't invest the time it takes.

Sims Medieval: The game I play when I don't have time for Sims 3. I can't believe how much fun I have in it. Like Sims 3, I have no CC, but a number of mods. I love the realistic faces in the game, and the open world is small, but beautiful. I don't think I'll play it forever, the questing, etc. gets repetitive, but buying it for $7 was so worth it.

Sims 4: Very disappointing except for the CAS system. I hate not being able to change colors, I think I could get by without multiple patterns. CC is essential. Playing the game is very boring. Granted, all I have is the base game. The animations are slightly better than Sims 2 or 3, but it just can't hold me. I probably could get the building down in this game, but i don't feel like investing the time. This is the only Sims game that I do not recommend to others.

Not sure what you mean, if you mean the game, it would Sims Medieval currently.

I'm about a 3 I think, depends on the game. I use cheats sometimes to set up a character in Sims 3, but not once I start the game. In Sims Medieval, I use cheats if I'm bored with a specific quest, but not very often. I don't use CC (hair, clothes) for either game, but mods and default replacements. Sims 1, 2 & 4 need a lot of CC to make them playable for me.

6. which transition of sims games do you think had the most improvement and why? (i.e 1 to 2, 2 to 3, or 3 to 4)

1 to 2 really let you get close to the sims. I also liked the life stages and the fact that sims grew old and died. It was a huge step forward. 2 to 3 brought the wonderful open worlds and greatly improved CAS system. It's a toss up which was the greater step forward.

Obviously, that's 4 in my opinion. Both 2 & 3 struck me with their new possibilities. The CAS system is better in Sims 4, but the loss of CAST, makes that less impressive.

I don't think any of them were designed with that in mind. There are good tools available for both 2 and 3 made by the community. CAW was an attempt on the part of EA, but it's rather problematic. EA is conflicted it seems on CC and mods. On the one hand some understand that it increases the appeal of the game, others think that more money can be squeezed out of fans if they have to buy content from EA

Probably, but I would also want to be able to have a color slider for CAS and objects.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 17th Jan 2016 at 8:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by David Poston
So I got permission to do a survey on people's sims experience. This is just something about your experience, what you like/dislike, etc. so don't panic, this is not a quiz or anything with right or wrong answers! This is open to anyone here on MTS. Feel free and take the survey regardless on which parts of the whole sims series you own. Also, if you have any feedback you'd like to give me feel free to private message me. For example if you only play one of the sims games and you feel some questions were biased don't hesitate to let me know. I'm open to any comments!

1. Since 2009, when The Sims 3 just came out
2. 4 I think just not a 5 I've no been playing it much as I used tae
3. I would recommend 3 because even though I prefer 2, 2 is hard to play and a bit confusing for sims newcomers so sims 3 mofo cause open world
4. Mostly 2 since I had a Sims 3 binge and I played Sims 2 for like a month and am currently coming back to 3 as I type this
5. I'm defo a 5. Heck no I'm a 6 I'm that bad
6. 2 to 3 because 3 to 4 was crap man. What pees me off the most is that when you enter a cheat in the sims 4 and then go to another lot the cheat disables itself
7. 4 defo, I mean go play it come on all the answers are there
8. 3 I guess since it's the only sims game I use custom content on lmao
9. F*** yeah. Also if the jobs were more like sims 3 that would be nice

Sims 5 should be

The stuff and cinematic and entertaining stuff + cheats and difficulty from Sims 2
The open world, careers, and varied supernatural things from Sims 3 + sims 3 had the nicest furniture and clothing items (unpopular opinion)
The CAS and build mode from Sims 4

(ps i've never played sims 1)
Instructor
#31 Old 18th Jan 2016 at 2:50 AM
1. 9 years
2. Like 4ish, i don't know mayne like a good 5 or let's just go with 10
3. The Sims 2 for life♥
4. TS2 and TS4
5. Cheats: 1, i only use from building and to reduce money if the family has a lot and it gets boring. CC: Oh boy is there a number i could use for this(5)
6. The Sims 3, it introduced open world and all the cool features but also a really long loading screens
7. Ummm TS4, without patches it didn't had pools, half walls.... and really no toddlers. UGH
8. TS4, we have custom content since the day it came out, custom traits were available like from the start, something that TS3 never got(It got one and it was fun but meh..)
9.By now i have spend over $2000 for Sims(Computer, EPs, SPs, Store Content, even TSR subscription(gosh what was i thinking??)) so another $60 would't hurt

I need a cigarette
Scholar
#32 Old 18th Jan 2016 at 2:56 PM
From day one of the original Sims.

4 - it's not just a game I play, but a full fledged hobby. However, many simmers immerse themselves to lenghts that I don't want to go to.

2 is my favourite and I'd recommend 2, 3 and 4, depending on the person I'd suggest it to.

Sims 4 4 I'd recommend to the family breadwinner who craves some quick, simply fun between work and kids.
Sims 3 is well suited as "entry level drug" and for younger players who love exploring (What moddlet might this action provoke now? It there something on that large hill? and so on), but lacking in long-term appeal. Also I deem it too easy for a real game.
Sims 2 is for people with much time who wish to immerse themselves in a setting and be in control. It's still not the challenge Sims 1 was, though.
Medieval gameplay is too limited.
Sims 1 too outdated to recommend to new players. It's something I gave to them once they've cut their milk teeth on the newer versions.

A tie between 2 and 4

Cheats 2
CC 4

6. Which transition of sims games do you think had the most improvement and why? (i.e 1 to 2, 2 to 3, or 3 to 4)
1 to 2, as generational play was introduced and the Sims became much more customizeable both in appearance and personality (wants/fears, aspirations).

I cannot answer this unbiased, as I always had a hard time transitioning from one iteration to the next.
Now that I think of it, the hardest time I had to get into Sims2, because despite all the new elements it could not compare with a fully updated (and slightly modded) Sims1.

When it comes to ingame customisation, Sims 3 wins by far due to CASt.
If you mean mods and cc, then Sims1. I made my own furniture, clothing and even buyable foods in the first game. CC creation became more complex with each new iteration, so by Sims 2 I only made clothes and I gave up on 3 and 4. Just an example: to save dds files for clothing recolors I'd need to download and learn a new graphics program. In comparison, with Sims 2 bodyshop even someone with only MS Paint could achieve presentable results!

No. Your main selling points, open world and the full range of lifestages, I do not care for. As for Sims2-like gameplay, it depends on how similar the games are.
If it's a near 100% copy I can just as well keep playing Sims2. So the decision hinges on what elements exactly would be different. Also 60 $ is a bit steep, but, yeah, I answered "4" in question 2, so I'm prone to irrational decisions when it comes to the Sims
Site Helper
#33 Old 19th Jan 2016 at 12:58 AM
I think Hot Date had just come out?

2. On a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being not much at all to 5 being "of course that's me", would you consider yourself being a Sims fanatic?
It varies... But I've gotten to the point where the highest I am likely to get on that scale anymore is a 4.

3. (Warning this question is very common and probably somewhat difficult to answer) Which Sims section be it 1,2,3, medieval, or 4 is your favorite? Would you recommend it to others?
You forgot all the console versions. I've never played Medieval, Castaway, etc. or Sims 4. Other than that, I have no major preference. Each has elements I like and elements I'm not so fond of.

lately, it's between 2 and 3. (My discs for 1 were stolen. )

1 to 2 introduced better graphics, sims that actually age, teens, etc. But it also started the trend toward having the game assign "Wants" and "fears" for your sims which may or may not have any relationship to the way you had imagined them when you created them, and which are not really wants or fears in the sense that they affect what your sim will autonomously do. They simply give or remove points if the player allows them to be met. It also seems to me that Sims 1 had the best balance of things that were cute without being overdone. (A sim learning a song from a vacation and then singing it while fishing is cute - until you have heard the same song 10 times in the last 30 seconds, or until there are 5 sims singing 5 different songs right next to each other. )

7. Which base game of the Sims 1, 2, 3, and 4 do you think could have used more time and improvement?
Any of them after 1. (Ok, for 4 I'm just going on hearsay.)

Any that is not on a console.

9. Last question: If there was a Sims 5 base game that had the ages of baby, toddler, child, pre-teen, teen, young adult, adult, and elder and was pretty much like the sims 3 in having the open neighborhood but the gameplay and options were more like 2 would you consider buying it and paying for it for $60?
More life stages are meaningless if there is nothing to do with them. I would prefer Baby to be left out and have the parents come home from the hospital with a toddler (perhaps calling the toddler a Baby) as long as babies don't have anything more to do than 2 interactions of "play with" it, feed it, change its diaper, and put it to bed. I became a CAST addict. The open neighborhood isn't as important to me as CAST, although I do like to be able to go to spots that are not on a lot. But 60 dollars is a lot of money for me.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 19th Jan 2016 at 6:34 PM
1. As soon as I was old enough to understand how to play computer games.

2. about 2 or 3?

3. so far 3 is my favourite.

4. no idea what you mean

5. 2, I use cheats but never custom content.

6. 1 to 2 was very dramatic

7. 4

8. 2

9. I live in England and not sure if $60 is worth a game at all, but I'd probably buy it.
Top Secret Researcher
#35 Old 19th Jan 2016 at 10:13 PM
Sixty dollars is about 45 pounds, Kleptomaniac, if you do dollars to pound conversion at current rates, but knowing EA, they'd charge 65 pounds. (They must have broken their currency converter.)
Alchemist
#36 Old 20th Jan 2016 at 4:29 PM
Sims 3: since 3-4 months after it came out, in 2009.

I'd say about 4.

3. Which Sims section be it 1,2,3, medieval, or 4 is your favorite? Would you recommended it to others?
I've only played 3, and I would recommend it (with a heavy disclaimer about the wonderful world of mods and CC, and EA's missteps).

If you mean out of the games above, then 3, because it's the only one I've ever had.

Absolute 5 from me. Couldn't play without mods anymore.

N/A.

N/A. Can't compare since I've only played 3.

IDK, setting up mods in 3 isn't hard. Making mods and CC though...no clue how hard it is for creators.

I wouldn't mind getting a Sims 5 if they kept the good parts of the previous games in it, while bringing something new to the table. One of the reasons I'm 80% against eventually getting TS4 is the lack of CAS, so if TS5 lacked that I would hesitate the same in getting it. And I may be a hermit most of the time, but I still enjoy zooming around the neighborhood and creeping on random sims, dammit!

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Alchemist
#37 Old 20th Jan 2016 at 5:21 PM
1. Since the Sims 1 was released in 2000.
2. 3
3. 2 and 3. Yes, I would.
4. 3
5. 5
6. 2 and 3 in equal measure.
7. Definitely 4. It's bad. Wouldn't use it even as a bird deterrent in my garden.
8. 2
9. Heck, I'd pay double that amount.
Page 2 of 2