Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 11:33 AM
Default So does the Sims 2 0r 4 run better then the Sims 3 without mods?
If you have been following my posts at all then you know that I have been running into some major problems that there do not seem to be any fixes for in the Sims 3, so I am sorry to say that I don't think I can go on playing my favorite game. Even without mods and only installing one expansion pack at a time I am still running into problems, like there being no other sims in two besides the ones I create, so I either have to spend days creating new sims for every town, or I have to just play a boring empty game. Now I don't want to give up on the Sims wholesale and I do know that other games in the series that will run on my system lack the open world but I hear they do the little things better, so that is good enough for me, but I have a couple of quick questions I would like to ask before jumping into The Sims 2 or 4.

I know The Sims with not run on my modern PC and I know the Sims 2 and The Sims 4 lack the open world, but can anyone tell me if they run any better then The Sims 3 when it comes to just their basic features loading and things working so you can play the game? Also does the Sims 4 require a highspeed internet connection to work or is it like other origin games that just require you to register the game and then you can play it off line? Oh and what are the system requirements for The Sims 4? I am having trouble finding them spelled out online and none of the stores in my area seem to have boxed copies.

I know the sims 3 section may seem like a weird place to ask this question but I trust you guys here and I am pretty sure you will not steer me wrong. Thank you for your time and sorry to have bothered you?

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 12:18 PM
My TS3 game was quite bugged, with borked saves (they'd be rendered useless after 5-6 saves), weird glitches happening all the time, and frequent, unexplained crashes. I barely even had CC at all. Often, the game would seemingly run along snoothly, then suddenly throw some weird glitches like sims going through the floor or get stuck, and eventually crash, and the save would be corrupted to the pont where I just had to abandon it. The latest EP didn't even want to install, and borked up my game to the point where it's no longer working.

I've had some problems with my TS2, but for the most part I've been able to solve things when they pop up. It's by far the most stable of the two. I ran into some major glitching with my full game a while back, but the latest backup took care of fixing it. I have used the same game since 2008, and I think that can be considered pretty stable, even though I haven't played that much the past few years. After I figured out the cache files back in 2006-ish, I haven't ever had the need to reinstall, except for on a new computer. Even my full game with 30+ GB of downloads runs mostly without issues (though I do sometimes get memory crashes with that one - but that's probably my fault for not having cleaned up the DL folder). At least I usually know why it crashes and how to fix it. So I'd consider TS2 more stable and a whole lot easier to fix.

As for TS4, I don't have it.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 12:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
My TS3 game was quite bugged, with borked saves (they'd be rendered useless after 5-6 saves), weird glitches happening all the time, and frequent, unexplained crashes. I barely even had CC at all. Often, the game would seemingly run along snoothly, then suddenly throw some weird glitches like sims going through the floor or get stuck, and eventually crash, and the save would be corrupted to the pont where I just had to abandon it. The latest EP didn't even want to install, and borked up my game to the point where it's no longer working.

I've had some problems with my TS2, but for the most part I've been able to solve things when they pop up. It's by far the most stable of the two. I ran into some major glitching with my full game a while back, but the latest backup took care of fixing it. I have used the same game since 2008, and I think that can be considered pretty stable, even though I haven't played that much the past few years. After I figured out the cache files back in 2006-ish, I haven't ever had the need to reinstall, except for on a new computer. Even my full game with 30+ GB of downloads runs mostly without issues (though I do sometimes get memory crashes with that one - but that's probably my fault for not having cleaned up the DL folder). At least I usually know why it crashes and how to fix it. So I'd consider TS2 more stable and a whole lot easier to fix.

As for TS4, I don't have it.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for The Sims 2 online and at local thrift stores and when I find a copy of it at a price I can afford I think I will switch to that.

I am sorry but the Sims 3 has just become a full time job for me and it's not helping me to relax at all any more.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Instructor
#5 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 7:01 PM
I have seen some of your issues in other posts and honestly I have no idea why your game is so warped. Whenever I first started playing I kept wanting to do crazy things like deleting the grim reaper and having a world with roads, but then I found out some things are massive game breakers and I should calm it down. After that when I played I would play a world for a bit and get a little wild by having a ton of occults in the town or decorating ornate houses, but I would always have problems like simmer22 had and I'd have load times of 30-40 minutes and save times of 1+ hrs if it saved at all. But of course it usually crashed.

Now I have learned to keep it absolutely mild, which has definitely worked. I'm able to load a save with 5 in game weeks worth of play, all expansions, in a modified Starlight Shores with short load times and have absolutely no problems with it. I am playing through the singer career without any hangups, and have just one occult in the town (the singer.) I have kept my house moderately decorated and have extensively tested for routing issues when I place an object that needs "moveobjects on". I also definitely keep cheatbox cheats to a minimum, and turn them off right after I use them. And I don't edit anything in CAS after set up if it can be avoided. I made it a rule not to travel, but I think I might make an exception today to see how it goes.

Now this isn't saying you can't use mods and CC. I have over 300 items in my mods folder, so go ahead, just make sure they are updated and have no issues before you use them.
Scholar
#6 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 7:57 PM
I can't speak for everyone, but I know that with TS3 and TS2, I had a lot of mods and CC for both games and both had issues. With Sims 2, the vast content caused the load-up of the actual start screen, hoses and CAS to slow down considerably, but otherwise, things ran smoothly. In TS3, things loaded just fine, but everything else from the movement, to action to CAS was slow. As for TS4, it runs pretty smoothily for me even with mods and CC, but that could just be because I have less.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 10:24 PM
In my experience Sims 2 runs better than Sims 3 even with mods. I've been playing Sims 2 since July 2010, and Sims 3 since January 2012. I have had only one crash to desktop with Sims 2 the whole time I've played it, and get very few other glitches. I can't tell you how many times Sims 3 has crashed to desktop since I've been playing Sims 3, but its alot. I also can't tell you how many times I've gotten the frigging Error code 16 since playing Sims 3. I never get bad saves with Sims 2. Sims 2 is more stable, and isn't as prone to crashing or glitching unless the player does something they aren't supposed to. (There are a list of known game/hood corruption causing things, but at least more experienced players know to avoid them and have more stable games (e.g. don't delete Sims from the Sim bin, etc).
Mad Poster
#8 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 10:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EvilMcNastySim2015
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for The Sims 2 online and at local thrift stores and when I find a copy of it at a price I can afford I think I will switch to that.

I am sorry but the Sims 3 has just become a full time job for me and it's not helping me to relax at all any more.

If you do some nagging at EA over at Origin, you might still be able to get the UC. Might save you the trouble of finding the CDs (although, the CD version is perhaps a bit more stable, and seems to be easier to deal with when it comes to Win 8/10).
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 11:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
If you do some nagging at EA over at Origin, you might still be able to get the UC. Might save you the trouble of finding the CDs (although, the CD version is perhaps a bit more stable, and seems to be easier to deal with when it comes to Win 8/10).

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

The CD version seems to be pretty cheap at the moment and I have some patches that are supposed to make it work with windows 7 so I may try that first, thanks for the heads up.

My PC specs.
Scholar
#10 Old 25th Jan 2016 at 12:22 AM
There's a nice thread at Leesester's forum about making Sims 2 work with Windows 7. It took a few minutes of fiddling and then everything was fine.

Personally, I prefer running Sims 2 with a few mods, some to fix some glitrches and some to expand the game a bit. I thought it was generally smoother: fewer graphics problems and easier setup. You'll have to get used to the more primitive neighborhoods and the loading screens, but I never mind them when I'm playing Sims 2.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 25th Jan 2016 at 12:48 AM
Both sims 3 and sims 2 need certain mods. Sims 3 is to do with fixing routing and abandoned cars and things while sims 2 essential mods are to do with preventing corruption. Why would you want to run it without the essential mods? Or do you mean something else? As to running I would say the Sims 2 runs better without mods but since you are running without the fixes in place it may just suddenly blow up on you, while sims 3 will begin to freeze as it tries to re-rout stuck sims.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#12 Old 25th Jan 2016 at 2:51 AM
I actually do love that the Sims 2 runs and loads like butter today compared to the wait times I had to sit through years ago.

So I get the better, tighter gameplay without having to hand EA any more money? Sounds like a deal! Neighbourhoods and build mode is still better in the Sims 3, but I can always load that up at other times.

That being said, the look and sounds of the Sims 2 encapsulate the early 2000s perfectly, especially Nightlife with the whole techno-Rave club clothing.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 25th Jan 2016 at 3:03 AM
I think Sims 1 had better music but i like most of the Sims 2 music, just one build mode music annoys me.

As to building, I never could build in sims 3, the tools are probably better but I could not see what I was doing. Open world I don't care for since open world means lots of rabbit holes.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#14 Old 25th Jan 2016 at 1:29 PM
Regarding TS4, you can play it offline. Can't remember, but I think you need to register your game frist tho.
TS4 runs fast. But you need some mods, script mods. Otherwise you might end up with culling of sims, yeah, even from families you do play. And other frustrating stuff like that. Play a test neighborhood for a while to find out what irritates you that you want to change. MC Command Center is a good script mod, works similarly to Nraas master controller/story progression. Building in TS4 is easy. The lack of open world is a letdown, but at least every lot comes with a "open" small neighborhood which you can roam around in, meet your neighbors and stuff. You want to visit your nearest neighbor? Get hit with a loading screen. On the upside, they're fast. Or well, should be on a decent computer.
Instructor
Original Poster
#16 Old 26th Jan 2016 at 11:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Incarnia
Regarding TS4, you can play it offline. Can't remember, but I think you need to register your game frist tho.
TS4 runs fast. But you need some mods, script mods. Otherwise you might end up with culling of sims, yeah, even from families you do play. And other frustrating stuff like that. Play a test neighborhood for a while to find out what irritates you that you want to change. MC Command Center is a good script mod, works similarly to Nraas master controller/story progression. Building in TS4 is easy. The lack of open world is a letdown, but at least every lot comes with a "open" small neighborhood which you can roam around in, meet your neighbors and stuff. You want to visit your nearest neighbor? Get hit with a loading screen. On the upside, they're fast. Or well, should be on a decent computer.

Okay thanks, registering games with EA isn't a problem for me. it's keeping them connected all the time while playing that is. That is one thing I will say for EA, while they have their problems with DRM, I do have an easier time playing off line with most of their games then I do with the games from other companies. I mean I still can't get my copy of Starcraft 2 that I bought way back the year it was released to register, so despite being a huge RTS fan, I have yet to play that game.

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to get into another Sim City 2013 type mess(That is the only time I have really had a problem with single player and EA, that is if you don't count having to play online with Mass Effect 3 in order to get endings for the single player game but there is a mod that fixed that)so thanks a bunch. This makes me much more likely to check out The Sims 4 now that the price seems to be coming down to around $30 new online.

Thanks for letting me know about the mods too. You have all been very helpful, sorry if I didn't get the chance to respond to each and every one of your replies in this thread, just know you have all been a big help.

My PC specs.
Test Subject
#17 Old 26th Jan 2016 at 8:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I keep hearing Sims 4 fans say that and I just have to correct it every single time. This is a blatant lie. A small open neighborhood indicates a small neighborhood of open neighbors and stuff. Like say the neighborhood has 4 residential lots, then all 4 of the residents on there can interact with this neighborhood. You can visit your neighbors etc... they can come visit you. That is NOT what Sims 4 neighborhood is.

Sims 4 neighborhood is an illusion surrounding your single lot. Your neighbors' houses are merely empty shells decorations. When you invite your neighbors over, it is not unlike inviting anyone else in the game over. You are basically inviting them from the database they're stored in, not from your actual neighborhood. You are very much in fact, playing ONE single lot with a pretty background.

There is nothing "OPEN" about it.

Well I guess that depends upon how you see it. Hence my Exclamation mark. You have access to park areas, even playground, around yours and your neighbors house. These areas are smaller or bigger. Areas which do not require a loading time. Visiting your neighbors do however, which I mentioned _as well_

Edit: So before you go around calling people lairs you might want to actually read what the person is saying before replying. Regarding, "Sims 4 fans", I can assure you I am most definitely not one of those.
However I do play it occasionally, when I get fed up with the lags and pretty long loading times in TS3. I'm a rotational player so TS4 works for me. Since I do play TS4 I felt I could leave a little comment answering the OP's question which game that _runs better_ then the Sims 3. And TS4 does. A lot. It is a very fast loading game which do run smoothly. Saves do not get corrupted - at least I have never experienced it.
Instructor
Original Poster
#18 Old 27th Jan 2016 at 2:09 PM
Well I have some patches that are supposed to make it work and I found a copy of the Sims 2 Deluxe Edition along with the Seasons expansion pack online for $10, so I just ordered it and I am going to give the Sims 2 a shot. The Sims 3 was the first time I had ever played anything related to The Sims in my life so I will let you know how it goes with The Sims 2 on my modern machine. I figure it can't go too badly since I don't think the specs I have on my machice could even be bought back in the early 2000s when The Sims 2 was coming out, of course that could cause it's own set of problems so here is hoping it doesn't.

If it works a may put a video up on my youtube page comparing the two games.

Well here is hoping I have fun!

My PC specs.
Forum Resident
#19 Old 27th Jan 2016 at 5:31 PM
Both Sims 2 and 4 seem to run better with less effort than 3. Sims 4 runs perfectly for me, I just don't enjoy the game at all. For me, it's worth it to make Sims 3 work. I don't use any CC other than mods, default replacements and store content. Sims 2 took some work to keep it running smoothly too and I needed a lot of CC to make it look right to me.
Site Helper
#20 Old 27th Jan 2016 at 10:55 PM
I don't have Sims 4 (and, TBH, I'm not particularly interested in it right now)

Sims 2 runs nicely, but "Without mods" is kind of a sloping path. As joandsarah77 mentioned, there are mods that you need in order to protect your neighborhood. They tend to be found on sites which also have mods that are not absolutely essential to keeping your neighborhood safe, but which very easily turn into things that you "must have," such as really nice skintone, the Simsky multi-alarm, charging stations for your sim-bots, a beautiful hair that would look wonderful on the sim you just made, etc. (Especially if you've become a CAST addict, and gotten used to being able to have all the kitchen appliances the same color, bedspreads that match the curtains, or wooden countertops that match the wood table. Or if you've discovered the joys of making your own walls, terrain paints and floors with Homecrafter, or your own outfits and eyes with Body Shop.) The next thing you know you have 5 GB in your Downloads folder and it's not running quite as quickly anymore.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Instructor
Original Poster
#21 Old 28th Jan 2016 at 1:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
I don't have Sims 4 (and, TBH, I'm not particularly interested in it right now)

Sims 2 runs nicely, but "Without mods" is kind of a sloping path. As joandsarah77 mentioned, there are mods that you need in order to protect your neighborhood. They tend to be found on sites which also have mods that are not absolutely essential to keeping your neighborhood safe, but which very easily turn into things that you "must have," such as really nice skintone, the Simsky multi-alarm, charging stations for your sim-bots, a beautiful hair that would look wonderful on the sim you just made, etc. (Especially if you've become a CAST addict, and gotten used to being able to have all the kitchen appliances the same color, bedspreads that match the curtains, or wooden countertops that match the wood table. Or if you've discovered the joys of making your own walls, terrain paints and floors with Homecrafter, or your own outfits and eyes with Body Shop.) The next thing you know you have 5 GB in your Downloads folder and it's not running quite as quickly anymore.

Thanks, could you tell me the name of this site so I can do a google search for it? Thanks a bunch for your help.

My PC specs.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 28th Jan 2016 at 3:30 AM
If we're thinking of the same mods (creature fixes, nocorruptdeath and no unlinkondelete), then they mean this site: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s.../topic,7.0.html

Given the fact that most of the members of the More Awesome than You forum verbally skin alive any newbies, it is much better to give the direct link to Pescado's Sims 2 mods like I just did. I also personally think that TwoJeff's mods are "must haves" (http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?board=7.0) but I don't know if they are essential. The Simbology forum members are much more open to answering any Sims 2 questions you may have.
Scholar
#23 Old 28th Jan 2016 at 3:40 AM
From my personal experience 2 runs better than 3. Right now I have just over 200 MB worth of mods in 2 and only about 6 MB of mods in 3, and 2 still has fewer problems. I also even have all EPs and SPs for 2 (Ultimate Collection), but only the base game and Supernatural for 3, and yes for me 2 still has fewer problems. As for playing without mods... without using NRaas mods I don't think I could play 3, there's just too many problems but luckily the NRaas mods can prevent or fix a lot of them. I haven't played 2 in a LONG time without mods, but I remember it being much better than 3 without mods. I haven't bought (or even played) 4 yet, so I can't comment on that. If you don't mind not having the open world I'd recommend 2 over 3.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 28th Jan 2016 at 4:16 AM
If you have issues, post for help over on the sims 2 help board, don't post on MATY, you don't even have to register on MATY to grab the mods. No need to answer their idiotic Monty Python questions, As Orilon said, their hobby is to skin newbies alive, spread them on toast and eat them for breakfast.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#25 Old 28th Jan 2016 at 10:40 AM
Thanks a bunch guys, this is a huge help. Online I found someone who was selling the Sims 2 Deluxe and the Seasons expansion pack for $10 with shipping and they live in PA so within a week I should have the game in my hands and this seems like it will be a huge help, thanks a bunch.

My PC specs.
Page 1 of 2