Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jul 2005 at 11:01 AM
Default Favorite horror game? - Any genre or system.
I love horror related stuff, so I tend to start threads about the topic. There was a similar thread on the old site, so some of this will probably be repeated. But as they say: Repetition is the key to memorization.

So list your favorite horror related video games. I need to buy more. Please say something about it besides just naming it. What kind of game it is, why its so good. Why should I buy it?

My favorites so far are:
Clive Barker's Undying - First person shooter with a good gothic atmosphere.
Doom3 - First person shooter with creepy sci-fi atmosphere, and lots of demons
The entire Castlevania game series - Platform games with mild RPG elements to the later ones.

I also like survival horror, adventure games, point and click games - you name it. So what other horror games would people recommend? Any game system. PC, Xbox, PS2, etc...

Is the glass half empty or half full? Who cares when the glass is broken.
Advertisement
Moderator of Camera Models
retired moderator
#2 Old 11th Jul 2005 at 11:48 AM
System Shock 2 - No game has ever quite given me the willies like that one.

Well I lie... one title has scared me even more but that is purely for one level alone - Thief Deadly Shadows' Shalebridge Cradle... perhaps the best level design ever.

*** Games Journalist with the magazines PC Powerplay and Hyper ***

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
Test Subject
#3 Old 11th Jul 2005 at 2:06 PM
Both the Fatal Frame games. ^^ I don't think any other game has been both scary and enjoyable at the same time. ♥ Also, the Clock Tower games have always been scary. Even the old pixely ones. ;_;
Banned
#4 Old 11th Jul 2005 at 2:19 PM
I love Resident Evil, I haven't played the new one yet, it's Resident Evil..4.. I think?.. But, from what I've played, its pretty good... Also, Silent Hill.. Very good, even though up close the monsters are a little hokey up close, its still a good game, I played it and I was paranoid for hours. Apprently, the original game, which is the only one I've played. The creators.. Made it very scray psycholgicly, You hear all sorts of sounds.. And all that.. I also like, Blair Witch.. Pretty decent.. Gave me a few good jumps.
Test Subject
#5 Old 11th Jul 2005 at 6:25 PM
I love the Silent Hill series, it's so creepy. I think 3 is my favorite, but they are all spooky.

I tried to play American McGee's Alice, but I lack the coordination to work the keyboard and the mouse simotaneously. Hee.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 12th Jul 2005 at 12:41 AM
Silent Hill series, I can't play them alone.

Men have only two faults, all that they say and all that they do.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 12th Jul 2005 at 6:54 AM
Both Fatal Frame games (the new one is comming out this month). Doom 3 and all the Half Life Games.

Life isn't measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Recolour maniac of maniacs
#8 Old 12th Jul 2005 at 8:18 AM
1. Silent Hill series
2. Fatal Frame series
3. Silent Hill series
4. Resident Evil series
5. Silent Hill series

It's being invaded by the Otherworld...
By a world of someone's nightmarish delusions come to life.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bink13y: you are the recolor maniac of all maniacs
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th Jul 2005 at 11:53 PM
I'm not sure if American McGee's Alice would precisely be horror either, but it certainly was twisted, and dark. In a psychologically warped way, I guess it would qualify.

Silent hill seems to be the most popular so far. I really have to get around to playing those someday.

ElPresidente:I'm still working on getting Thief 3. Is it recent? I can't seem to find it in stores around here...

#10 Old 13th Jul 2005 at 1:18 AM
Pain Killer. I really like this game, but it gives me the creeps. I like it though. And the new Doom is also good. Whenever I play these games, I always have to have someone around me. I can't play it by myself!

~*~That '70s Show Chick~*~
#11 Old 13th Jul 2005 at 4:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Pokeylope
Silent Hill, definitely. ^^

I've been busy with other stuff, but i'm at the very last part before the final battle in SH3, and will soon be moving on to SH4(which I;ve had forever, but have yet to play)

4's a bit different from the others. Many don't like it because of that, but I think it works. And like 1 and 3 are origin (of Silent Hill) stories and 2 is a love story, 4 is kinda like a whodunnit. I like all four at the same level, but for slightly different reasons.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#12 Old 13th Jul 2005 at 4:10 PM
Silent Hill! I can't play those games alone...
Resident Evil 4 is a very good game, but Silent Hill just scared the crap out of me :insane:
Scholar
#13 Old 13th Jul 2005 at 9:36 PM
Silence This Discord!
Quote: Originally posted by ElPresidente
System Shock 2 - No game has ever quite given me the willies like that one.

HELL YES. Even scarier than the pants-soiling parts of Thief, in my opinion.

Kudos to it for having a high-tech futuristic setting also....a bit of a challenge for pure horrror.

I was still a kid when I played System Shock 1, and SHODAN scared the bejezus out of me. I started System Shock 2 with the determination that "Hey! She's not in this one! This'll be easy..."

WRONG!

"We're on sob day two of Operation Weeping-Bald-Eagle-Liberty-Never-Forget-Freedom-Watch sniff no word yet sob on our missing patriot Glenn Beck sob as alleged-President Hussein Obama shows his explicit support sniff for his fellow communists by ruling out the nuclear option."
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 14th Jul 2005 at 1:27 AM
Good luck finding it. I looked. It is essentially a first person shooter, an old one. Most of the websites I went to looking for it were down, and I couldn't find ANY that had links on where to buy/download it.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 14th Jul 2005 at 3:09 AM
Where? Could you give me a link?

#16 Old 14th Jul 2005 at 5:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dancing_dumplings
...Silent Hill. Absolutely terrifying. I hear they are making a movie too yay!

I'm very wary of Silent Hill as a movie. Making games into movies has been popular fora while now. Some of them were done okay, some were done horribly. Silent Hill could be a very good movie, if done right. And it could be very bad, if not. I'll watch it either way. Cause it's Silent Hill. That's part of what I'm afraid of, though.

#17 Old 17th Jul 2005 at 6:49 PM
Oh man this is a tough one!!! Fatal frame or Silent hill for me. It is very hard to decide. Then if I picked one series, I'd have to choose what game in the series was scarcest...nope I cant decide!

EDit: I forgot to say something about the games, why they are scary.

Silent hill, creepy sounds, things jumping out at you...

Fatal frame, again, creepy sounds, things jumping out at you... Loved the ghosts in this series
#18 Old 17th Jul 2005 at 7:44 PM
Silent Hill and Resident Evil

nuff said
#19 Old 18th Jul 2005 at 8:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Raye89
Both Fatal Frame games (the new one is comming out this month).

Where did you hear this? I cant find anything on it.

EDIT: Japan release is this month, U.S. is in October
retired moderator
#20 Old 20th Jul 2005 at 1:19 AM
And for any Europeans wondering exactly what Fatal Frame is... it's called Project Zero in PAL territories.

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
#21 Old 20th Jul 2005 at 1:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ElPresidente
And for any Europeans wondering exactly what Fatal Frame is... it's called Project Zero in PAL territories.

I suspected that, but now I know! Thanks. I want that game!
Test Subject
#22 Old 31st Jul 2005 at 2:15 AM
American McGee's Alice is pretty good. Scared me at times
Test Subject
#23 Old 4th Aug 2005 at 4:18 PM
Doom 3...... if you're not scared shitless by the end of that game, there's something wrong with you.

"It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have
ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to
than I have ever known." - Charles Dickens
retired moderator
#24 Old 4th Aug 2005 at 11:04 PM
Doom 3 is a very tense game and made me jump most of the way through but it relies on cheap shocks more than anything. Great game but true fear in gaming for me is the psychological build up created in titles like Silent Hill, Thief and System Shock 2.

Incidently the F.E.A.R demo is out tomorrow for those of us with groovy enough PCs to run it. Intended to be a cross between a traditional FPS shooter and a Japenese horror flick like The Ring or Dark Water this game should be a winner. One of the staff writers on my mag got the chance to go to Monolith (developers of F.E.A.R, No One Lives Forever, Tron 2.0 and the underappreciated yet utterly brilliant SHOGO: Mobile Armoured Division) to give the almost finished code a bash and he was more than ample in his praise. Should be damn good, especially considering Monolith's pedegree.

retired moderator
#25 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 5:18 PM
MY GOD!!!!

Just got back from playing the F.E.A.R. Demo... utter brilliance... HL2 could very well be topped by this game as far as gameplay is concerned and System Shock 2 could be topped as far as scares are concerned.

This is one exhilerating and terrifying gaming experience. The demo is now out so no one has an excuse to not be getting as excited about the full release as I.