Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 1:47 AM
Default Isla Paradiso redo
So I began creating a world because I had a pretty good idea for a design. After working on it for a while I got tired of it not working out because of the difficult to work with pond tool in super caw. Scrapping that I decided to do a complete redo of Isla Paradiso from the Paradise Island expansion. I posted a few screenshots to give an idea of what it looks like so far. I like the Isla Paradiso map, but didn't like the limited number of lots and like to have a legacy map with all the necessary community lots. I have enough lot spaces to create everything except the dog and cat park and a few of the clubs. I have also managed to squeeze in over 40 residential and placed 20 port lots for houseboats.

Is all I have left to do after reworking some of the land area, terrain paint ect. is place trees, the rest of the world objects and spawners and of course build the lots. I ran into a problem though. My CAW keeps crashing every time I try to edit in game. Not sure how to fix that as it was working just fine recently. Anyway, I would like some feedback on how my redo looks.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 11:21 AM
Great start-

- How many lots are there in total? For long-term playability, I would stick around 100-115 lots.
- Are you keeping the original theme of the Caribbean? I have some themed lots for you if you want.
- Depending on the theme, switching between some more rural roads (dirt, no sidewalks) would be suitable for rural areas. I would also grab the Bridgeport road overlay for some additional details on the roads
- I'd smooth the roads out a bit more.

Can't wait to see what you do!
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 2:17 PM
Looking lovely so far! I have no real tips but I will say it looks lovely!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 3:59 PM
Thank you both for the compliments.

First off, as of right now, it has 124 lots. If I counted correctly, 47 community, 20 Ports, the 8 hidden Islands, 4 dive spots and 45 residential. I have lots for several store bought venues.

I have done a good bit of rework in a few areas and used the tropical retaining wall in some area's where I cut back the hills or mountains as you can see in the pictures. I did minor rework here and their to smooth things out.

Placed new roads etc. I do not use dirt roads. Never really liked how they looked in game. I have red and grey cobblestone street and then asphalt and cobblestone sidewalks for all three streets. I did use dirt sidewalks. The terrain colors are mainly a mix of Sunlit tides, Bridgeport, Moonlight Falls and I think that is it. I did a test run in game and like the Aurora skies color ramps with this world. I rebuilt the routing data and exported to get an idea of what it looks like in game since EIG does not work and I am seeing breaks in the terrain. Lines that show up where the chunk boundaries are I think. Don't know what causes that. Will try to look it up. Not sure if it is something I caused or the file I have used for this little project.

I liked the map and figured, why spend a large amount of time creating my own from scratch when I can take a fairly good map that EA did 'most' of the work on, but because of their abject laziness, as usual, came up way short as far as polishing the final product. This is what Isla Paradiso should have been more like in my opinion. Caribbean Islands with dark foliage and white sand beaches. I wanted to complete it and upload it, but unless I figure out the Edit in Game problem, I guess I could upload it empty though. Maybe. EA creates all these expansion packs, often times with new worlds. Gets your money and then the cool stuff from previous packs is forgotten when creating the new ones. Mostly leaving out most of the content as far as community lots etc. Really lazy as far as I am concerned. I understand the appeal of totally creating you own neighborhood, but why not completely redo EA worlds and not just routing fixes? It doesn't look perfect, but I think it looks so much better than EA's final product.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 4:33 PM Last edited by uec397 : 19th Jun 2016 at 5:25 PM.
The terrain tearing I am seeing does not show up in CAW. It only shows up in game. Haven't found anything on it yet, so if anyone has any ideas...
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 7:26 PM Last edited by uec397 : 19th Jun 2016 at 9:37 PM.
The chunk boundary issue I believe, stems from the file I used for modifying this world. I have exported the height map and began a new world and the chunk boundary issue is not there. Still deciding if I want to tackle this again. I want a legacy map I can play and do not like many of the worlds created as they do not include dive lots or hidden Islands, or if they do, it is limited.

Edit: they were showing up.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 8:35 PM
@uec397 I have some ideas about how to fix this- see your other thread:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=578805