Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 10:02 PM
Default Your Dream Sims Game
If you read my posts, you probably saw that I've been playing some TS3 lately. In the last few days I've actually been thinking of my dream Sims game, a sort of combination of TS2 and TS3. Here's what I've thought of so far:

1. Graphics similar to TS4.
It's pretty, I'll give it that. TS2 has aged well, but since this is a dream game, I'd upgrade the graphics. (TS3's Sims all look like dough.)

2. Personality points and aspirations, but traits as well.
One thing that really bothered me about TS3 is that, on their own, just having traits make Sims feel like caricatures. Traits are nice, but they don't fully replace personality points/aspirations. So easy solution is combine the two! I'd give it a handful more aspirations than is available in TS2 (Creative and Altruistic are the two I can think of off-hand) and I imagine sliding the personality points around would lock and unlock different traits (e.g. a very lazy Sim wouldn't have Athletic available as a trait - at least without cheats!)

3. Open-world or not?
This is one of those things I'm genuinely stuck on. Open-world is good for TS3, but I can't see it working for TS2 (especially with subhoods). Maybe some sort of toggle between the two.

4. Actual genetics
Pretty much self-explanatory. I like Mendelian genetics and the idea that certain features might express themselves a few generations down, rather than just combining the two parent's faces.

5. A good inventory.
One of the biggest draws is TS3's inventory. You can move things around and use them directly from the inventory. And on community lots too without any build-buy hacks. And a family inventory too. The phone would be optional though.

6. Moodlets
Another one I'm still torn on. Probably keep, though.

7. Wants, Fears, and Aspiration
Don't call them "Wishes," that's silly. Keep the amount limited like in TS2, but include the ability to dismiss them (to get rid of the dumb ones that won't stop rerolling). Bring back fears; negative moodlets just aren't a good replacement on their own and it feels a bit cheapened. As well, bring back TS2's aspiration bar and have them do silly things when they get to low aspiration. I do like how you can use aspiration poin--er, "lifetime happiness points" to buy permanent bonuses and things. Have some of them be aspiration-dependent (like the ones in TS2) and that'll work.

8. Subhoods.
I like subhoods, especially because it gives you more room to expand. Perhaps this could be implemented in the toggleable open-world via a bullet train or something.

9. Horses
Horses.

There's probably more, but my brain is starting to fizzle. Anyways, what would your dream Sims game be like?

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 10:37 PM
some active threads seem similar to this.
Hacks & CC thread
comparison sticky in Sims4 section
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 10:39 PM
Nah, this isn't stuff that could be done with any amount of custom content, I'd imagine. Except horses. I don't hang out in the Sims 4 section.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#4 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 10:48 PM
All I want is shoes being separate from the outfit, from TS3, and the "pick up entire room and everything in it and move it" from TS4.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 11:07 PM
My list of things in my dream game would be much like yours.

3 and 8. Open world or not? I'd like each game/file/save/neighbourhood (whatever it gets called) to be set up fairly similarly to the neighbourhood system as in Sims 2, with the ability to add sub-hoods to expand the 'hood, but I'd add another layer within each main or sub-hood where sims can walk off their lot and onto other lots in an open-hood fashion - I'll call it a block. At the very least, sims should be able to visit a few community lots without loading screens. I'm not sure I'd want other residences included in the block to be fully included in the active simulation, as I like the way Sims 2 lots are frozen in time while I play other households, but neighbours should walk about so that they can be interacted with. Even if residences aren't included, a number of community lots should be able to be played without loading screens so that one can switch between sims that are on and off the home lot without the mess that is Sims 4 off-world actions and dropped queues.

I want to be able to edit all layers of the neighbourhood - the roads and hood deco, the individual lots, and any Sims 4-style common areas. I love the blank slate that is a fresh sc4 terrain.

2. Personality - I also think it should be a combination of points and traits. Things that exist along a spectrum make sense for points - they give a place for nice varieties of animations and subtle differences in characters. Other things that indicate a hobby or skill inclination, should be traits. Traits should give specific bonuses or handicaps (slower/faster skill gain, motive decay, moodlets in some situations...).

10. Skills - I like the idea of having a lot of skills, but some skills being related to others - for example, a sim that already can play piano should be able to learn another instrument more quickly, or a sim who is learning to swim should also develop a general athletic skill at the same time. I liked the Sims 3 skill challenges, too, or at least some of the metrics that were kept - books read or written, distance jogged, and so on.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 11:14 PM
I actually like the idea of a block. Perhaps it could work sort of how apartment life works - the other Sims stay in their apartments/houses a lot of the time, but sometimes they come out, and they'll go to work/school, and you can head over to visit them. Another idea that could work with this is if one family has some puppies/kittens they'd like to adopt out, they can place an ad, and when playing another household they can actually see there's pets for adoption and go visit to meet the pets.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 11:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
1. Graphics similar to TS4.
It's pretty, I'll give it that. TS2 has aged well, but since this is a dream game, I'd upgrade the graphics. (TS3's Sims all look like dough.)

I have to say I wouldn't want either TS3 or TS4 graphics. You're right about TS3 - there's something off there - but TS4 is far too cartoony and lacking in detail for me. TS2 textures can be very detailed, something lost in TS3 in particular with the necessity of the restricted patterning for the colour wheel. Having said that I would indeed welcome and desire a graphics upgrade.

3. Open-world or not?
This is one of those things I'm genuinely stuck on. Open-world is good for TS3, but I can't see it working for TS2 (especially with subhoods). Maybe some sort of toggle between the two.

This is the one thing I really like about TS3 and I'd want that in a new game. Absolutely. I'm sure there's a way one could work it - maybe open outdoor areas but clickable home lots or clickable inside home lots or something, or small neighbourhood areas (a la TS4 though not with TS4's really small hoods - I want big!)

6. Moodlets
Another one I'm still torn on. Probably keep, though.

Yeah - I have to say though I was completely and utterly charmed by my dogs getting a 'loved' moodlet when they were brushed.

7. Wants, Fears, and Aspiration
Don't call them "Wishes," that's silly. Keep the amount limited like in TS2, but include the ability to dismiss them (to get rid of the dumb ones that won't stop rerolling). Bring back fears; negative moodlets just aren't a good replacement on their own and it feels a bit cheapened. As well, bring back TS2's aspiration bar and have them do silly things when they get to low aspiration. I do like how you can use aspiration poin--er, "lifetime happiness points" to buy permanent bonuses and things. Have some of them be aspiration-dependent (like the ones in TS2) and that'll work.

Agreed - this is something that deepens TS2 play against the others.

9. Horses
Horses.

Well, yes obviously.

You could have farm animals too. I have to say I was enamoured of the idea of herds of wildebeests flowing through a neighbourhood (someone's not-so-serious suggestion a while back. Elephants!! Giraffes! Just think!)

I pretty much agree with everything else you say. And yes, gummi, that too.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Theorist
#8 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 12:52 AM
Honestly, my dream sims game would just be TS2 with home and community lots that are as detailed as they really are, when you're viewing them from another lot (without having to tweak or mod anything). The low quality lot rendering just kills it sometimes...especially when you're someone who spends a lot of time decorating and setting up a neighborhood. That is the one thing I missed when giving up playing TS3.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
#9 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 1:09 AM
I have been meaning to start a thread like this for some time, at least since the release of TS4, but I've never got round to it. So I'll contribute to your thread instead, O hater of mandatory register. (Thanks for starting the thread; I might never have got round to it!) I have a lot to say on the subject so I'm afraid it will be a very long post; I'll write it in MS Word, and then paste it into the forum. So this post is just to give warning that I'll be back with a much longer post. I should maybe also warn that my idea of a dream or perfect Sims game is what I might get if all technical problems could be solved, and EA/Maxis had an unlimited budget to develop the game exactly to my wishes! So I'm afraid I'll be asking for a lot more than a few features from TS3/TS4 added to TS2. I'm looking for perfection!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Instructor
#10 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 1:11 AM
TS2, plus: traits, open world, story progression, TS3-style customisation, TS3-style skill system, TS4-style system when it comes to career promotions, and probably a whole load of other things that I can't think of right now.

Honestly there are so many aspects I love from all three games (never played TS1), but my dream game would definitely be based off TS2 especially with the graphics, personalities, genetics, and cute little quirks of the sims.

Call me Abi if you want, it's easier to type than my username!
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 2:10 AM
There's a lot I want to see in a "dream" Sims game... but when asked to list them out, I'm always speechless. Don't know why.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 2:34 AM
I agree with maxon, not a fan of sims 4 graphics, it is very Disney with low poly items. I like the scenery in sims 3 which is about the only graphical thing I like. I think something inbetween sims 2-3-4 but more sims 2 like.

I am for a semi open world like Skyrim, so areas are open but towns of any decent size get loaded and peoples houses get loaded.

The rest is too many to list, but basically sims 2 amped up with all the good features of the other games added in. So casT, but fixed so it loads better, things you don't want like ugly patterns can be hidden, easy way to bring in your own patterns. All the things we didn't get like horses and diving and houseboats.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#13 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 3:03 AM
Having never played Sims 3 or 4, it's hard for me to compare options in those games--except what I've seen in a few pictures. Based on what I know of Sims 2, I'd say the next game should be a complete Sims 2 game (base, seasons, vacation, business at the very least) but with:
**More realistic graphics -- more detailed like I see in some of the Sims 3/4 pics, but not all cartoony and Disney-esque.
**Smarter, slightly less predicable Sims. I guess that would mean more behavior options. Instead of When A Happens, Sim does B. It would be When A Happens, Sim does B, C or D, base on his/her personality. (For example, instead of all Sims gagging and eating burnt food, leave that to the nice Sims. Grouchy can put their meal in the sink and throw a fit.)
**A catalog that will allow the player to view CC file pictures outside of the game, to make sorting, keeping & deleting a bit easier.
**Better Fit, Normal, Fat shaped Sims -- No more Fit & Normal looking the same; and not the bloated Sims I've seen in newer game pics.
**More Pet options (ie: cat & small dogs can sit in Sims lap, larger dogs need to be taught not to jump on Sims)
**More fun/scary surprises -- think TS2 Ghosts and Original Sims clown painting. Maybe even objects that work on certain personality Sims but not others for extra variety, and the ability to have some Sims think another is losing his mind (like with the Therapist visits).
**Better genetics, more basegame variety (at least two shades of black, brown, blonde, red; 8 to 10 shades of skin; better aging graphics)

Edited to add: Now that I finished my post, I realize I should have just pointed at Jo and said, "What she said." :-)

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Mad Poster
#14 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 3:13 AM
I want more steps in creating neighborhoods, giving us options we would otherwise have to mod.
Townies or no townies? Family bin sims or no? Sims 2 standard, semi-open, or open world, or at least customizable for Challenge, Rotation, or Legacy play? Community lot time or not? Autonomous casual romance, or not? Aspirations, personality points, all the character features of Sims 2 - I truly don't see a way to improve it. I'd want more body types and heights, but otherwise the Sims2 sims are perfect in my book. And of course it must have all the age stages from the git-go.
The base game would have basic modern play, and expansions would provide brand-new gameplay, as each EP for Sims1 and 2 did, none of this business of releasing an incomplete game and releasing obvious features in a trickle to milk the revenue stream. You'd not only have business, seasons, pets, and vacation expansions, but ones for historical, rural, urban, and fantasy play, with the ability to control what kind of clothing and objects are accessible in different hoods. Rabbit holes would be kept to a minimum.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 3:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
I want more steps in creating neighborhoods, giving us options we would otherwise have to mod.
Townies or no townies? Family bin sims or no? Sims 2 standard, semi-open, or open world, or at least customizable for Challenge, Rotation, or Legacy play? Community lot time or not? Autonomous casual romance, or not? Aspirations, personality points, all the character features of Sims 2 - I truly don't see a way to improve it. I'd want more body types and heights, but otherwise the Sims2 sims are perfect in my book. And of course it must have all the age stages from the git-go.

I would also add an option to pre-seed the neighbourhood with premade community lots (because some of us are lazy), although you could swap them out if you didn't like the ones the game picked.

One other thing I thought of is classifications for community lots like in TS3. Libraries, coffeeshops, restaurants, and the like. This would go in with the moodlets (like the boost for studying in a library) and attract different kinds of Sims.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 4:04 AM
Options is what we really need, like peni said things like townies or no townies? Instead of having to fiddle with clean templates things like that we should have an on-off button option. I would really like that for building as well. Why should it take long cheats and cheat files to attach a garage to a house on a foundation?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 4:46 AM
I want the graphics similar to TS4 as well. TS3 or TS2 create-a-sim. I also want proper genetics (I really wish there was a mod for that), I miss it so much! I want story progression but not open world as it dislikes my computer (I like the semi-open world). I haven't figured out how to get that working on TS4 just yet. I want actual stores and businesses too. Ability to create worlds like in Sims 2.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 6:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
The base game would have basic modern play, and expansions would provide brand-new gameplay, as each EP for Sims1 and 2 did, none of this business of releasing an incomplete game and releasing obvious features in a trickle to milk the revenue stream.

According to my youngest son, this partial release is becoming a trend in games other than Sims. It's like a bigger, costlier version of micro-transactions. He's so fed up that he won't buy a newly released game until he reads a bunch of real player reviews. He has a couple friends who pre-order because they have to be the first to own a game. Often, they are also the first to be disappointed. If there are a lot of complaints, he waits to buy used or skips the game altogether. Sadly, as long as their are people who will continue to scramble to be the first to buy junk, the game developers will keep making junk.

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#19 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 7:01 AM
Anyways, what would your dream Sims game be like?

It would have community lots like Sims 2, where the objects on the lot determine the purpose, not a lot type (or zone). I get so fed up in Sims 3 of having to have 40 separate community lots so that my sims can complete challenges or fulfill wants, and Sims 4 is even worse- why the heck does my bar need to have 4 tables before it can function?
Mad Poster
#20 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 7:09 AM
I would have to make a doc that things list many things that would probably a thread for it will run out of characters. Once I finish it, I'm gonna release it.
Forum Resident
#21 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 7:29 AM
For community lots, I don't like the designated lot type as implemented by 3 & 4. Instead, I want community lots to default to a generic lot type, and then have menues with check boxes to customize them.

List one: what sorts of sims are attracted to the lot - with check boxes for personality (low, middle, high for point-based personality items, and by trait); for skill level; for age; for gender; interests....
List two: what needs does the lot cater to or what need levels sims arriving at the lot should have - low/middle/high comfort, hunger, fun....
List three: a more dynamic menu created based on usable objects on the lot, where you can prioritize or set equal the advertising on the objects or some other way to push sims to interact with them. At a lot with a pool, do you want the pool to heavily advertise to everyone, or is it equally weighted for fun with a basketball hoop? Should a sim want to shop or have fun first?

Finally, a way to save the lot configuration the player has created and name it (the configuration) so that it can be applied to other lots. The developer could even have pre-created configurations (such as "pub" or "gym") but they should be player editable.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 7:48 AM
Ugh, I hate Micro Transactions in other types of games. I'm just thankful that Arkane (Bethseda? I'm not sure who handles those type of decisions) hasn't started putting that kind of Crap into Dishonored.

Mine dream Sims 2 game would be

Sims 2 graphics. I know some don't like Sims 2 graphics, but I do. I especially prefer the way the Sims 2 look.

I also like the idea of combining the personality and trait system.

I like the idea of a semi-open world, with the ability to turn Story Progression on and off. (There are times I wish there was a smaller form of Story Progression in Sims 2 to age up child Sims to teens so the teen of the household I'm playing has someone to date. There are also times when a household is going through a boring spell that I wish there was a form of Story Progression to handle that household so I'm not bored out of my mind playing it in rotation to keep the Sims aging.)

I like the Sims 2 style of genetics. My "dream" system would be the Sims 2 style of genetics without the first born syndrome. I also prefer Sims 3 inventory system. The other day while playing Sims I was wishing I could open the fridge to take the fruit out of it so the Sim could put it into the juicer.

Sims 3 style gardening, Sims 3 style cooking, Sims 3 style Supernaturals. Sims 3 style skills such as sculpting, alchemy, painting separate from piano playing, some of the Sims 3 professions like Ghost Hunting. Sims 2 style University (God I hated how Sims 3 did University. I prefer Sims 2 in that regards).

The ability to pick shoes separate from outfit. CAST for clothes and objects (being able to match furniture without having to download a ton of custom content)

I sort of like moodlets, so those also.

I like the Sims 2 want and fears, but I love the Sims 3 ability to cancel wishes. I would like to combine the two with the ability to cancel the wants so they don't clog the panel (like the stupid get pet want, or have baby wants for Family Sims).

I would want the Aspirations combined with the personality and traits.

The ability to push/pull the wall into place from Sims 3. The Sims 3 blue print mode. Sims 3 Seasonal Festivals.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 9:33 AM
I feel that I don't need a thing from either Sims 3 or 4.

That does not mean that Sims 2 is perfect - of course the game is old, and graphics outdated - but, boy, does the wonderful animations make up for that!

I don't think moodlets are needed - the facial expression on a Sim's face says it all.

Personality and traits - in my humble opinion, Sims 2 Sims have those already.

The question I'd ask would rather be: am I willing to give up the way I play the game? The answer is no - because I like huge hoods, and those are not even possible to do in either 3 or 4. So while some things would be nice (options, as Peni says; less building cheats, as Jo says; perhaps a better inventory, etc.) - I can live without them.

The game is as perfect as it can be and that is why we still play it after all these years.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 4:10 PM
Here's the scenario: A delirious EA exec ... let's call this person "Z" ... comes to me and says, "Gazzy baby ... we want to have this game updated. Jazz up a few things. Then we'll re-package it as Sims 2: Remastered and sell it. We want your input. Got any ideas?"

First of all, if the base game is going to be $60+ at launch (probably much more than $60), I would want EVERY beloved feature in Sims 2 in this S2R, Z. All of them. No taking out cars, toddlers, hot tubs or pools. And if you peddle any of these in some GP, I will flog you with wet noodles and flatly refuse to buy your game. Also, not Origin-dependent. (This IS a fantasy.)

The clothes and hairstyles will sorely need updating. Try not to get ultra-trendy or overly silly. The little black dress is timeless, for instance. Go that route. And get rid of the propeller hat! The graphics will need a reboot as well. Let's face it, as much as I am addicted to Sims 2, the graphics look kind of blurry.

More body shape and height options would be great. We don't have to get that extreme, since I'm not sure if that will be a meshing nightmare, but I would like to see a wider variety of shapes and sizes in my game that are easily noticeable.

I always like the idea of semi-open worlds. Think The Urbz. I would wonder, however, if that will affect our current freedom to put lots in a variety of spots, and if that is the case, I might stick with the current loading screens. I also like the Sims 3 idea of being able to put lots away from the road and expand them a little. Think the Lot Adjuster features, only you can simply do it in-game.

Bicycles. Biii-cycles. Biii-cycles. (Sorry. I can't do a good Queen impersonation here.)

More pet variety. Yeah, the horses are pretty cool. I wouldn't mind more bird, amphibian and reptile selections, too. A dog and cat EP, a la Sims 4? Seriously? If I'm paying through the nose for a Pets expansion, I want more pets!

And if we are about to mess around with an NPC that is going to cook our hood and/or game, could we get a nice bright warning box first? "Are you SURE you want to nuke your game? Yes/No". Thanks, Z.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Test Subject
#25 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 11:37 AM
I mostly would just want something a bit more gritty and real - bring a bit of GTA into The Sims world. Something a bit less PG. Mods and CC only go so far, I'd like an actual game with all the sex, drugs, and rock & roll of real life.
Page 1 of 4