Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Oct 2015 at 9:37 AM Last edited by gummilutt : 23rd Oct 2015 at 11:49 AM.
Default Mall-like lot for campus
Hey guys. I could use your feedback on this. I had intended for my contribution to this month's theme to be a major I've been working on for ages, but I won't be able to finish it. I had some other ideas too in case that one failed, but won't have time for those either. So it's back to square one, idea-wise, and given there's only a week left, I think I might go with something I already have more or less done.

Back when loading times when going between lots took forever, I built a lot of community lots that had everything, so that my Sims wouldn't have to go to more than one place. One of those was for my campus. I'm thinking it might do for this theme. I'll rebuild it from scratch if so, I don't remember if my lot bin copy is safe or not. But before I do, I figure it may be good to know if it's any point.

The roofs are flat, because I don't care much about roofs. I also think roofs tend to look kind of fugly with many small buildings, since there's not much to do with it other than a square. I'm thinking perhaps staging, and then half walls on that, to make it look less flat.

It has
- Bowling Alley
- H&M Clothing store
- Gym
- Minimarket + electronics + magazines
- Jamming out room with instruments
- Coffee shop
- Restaurant
- Dance club
- Hair dresser (ignore the interior of that one, I deleted a bunch of CC back in the day and I haven't bothered fixing this lot yet)

What do you think? Is it worth brushing it up?

EDIT: Regarding the roof, I figure if I do decide to rebuild it, I'll try a bunch of different solutions and post the options here, and you guys can tell me which looks the least weird.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Oct 2015 at 6:09 PM
I'd go through and make the facades more distinctive. Having the buildings themselves be pretty similar and uninteresting from the outside actually looks right for this type of area, but the facades would still be designed to bring people into the store. Look at some photos of real-life "outdoor malls" from the last 5 years or so, and you should get an idea what I mean.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Oct 2015 at 8:20 PM
Thanks Zara! After posting the pictures and look at it for a while I got the same feel. I built this so long ago, back then I had no CC and barely knew half the stuff that came with Maxis. I think it'll be much better once I add some signs outside the shops, and maybe change the wallpaper on some of the buildings. I'll be sure to google outdoor malls like you said.

More feedback is welcome I had to go on an impromptu trip this weekend, but when I get back home tomorrow I'll get this sorted out.

Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#4 Old 25th Oct 2015 at 10:22 PM
I don't think the windows look very Mall like. I would use some big picture style windows. And if you're going for a flat roof it really needs some added height, either with CFE or adding a stage.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Oct 2015 at 11:21 PM
You're right, I should change the windows. Thanks The roof I am aware needs a lot of work. I'll try some different options and post pictures here, and see what you guys think look best. I really don't care about roofs myself, when building for myself, so that's why it looks like it does. But I'll definitely change things before uploading, I know it's not good enough as is.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 25th Oct 2015 at 11:32 PM
Yes, different windows, some signs, different wall covering and it should be good. I would also change up the disco room. To me, red carpet, red chairs and red walls is a bit too much.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 26th Oct 2015 at 12:00 AM
As far as roofing goes, when you look at the actual roofs of commercial buildings like these usually are either flat, or with a very low pitch (really just to control drainage- you often can't see it from the street at all). I would say stay away from using the actual "roofs" in-game, except like the drainage-control ones. You can kind of see what I mean with those on my Armscor Warehouses lot, if I'm not doing a good job explaining it.

Karen mentions using the stage to add some elevation too- adding elevation is a good idea, but i would shy away from using a stage. They don't tend to look as good from neighborhood view, and it prevents you from using the stage to add specific effects later, like a ventilation system. Again, you can kind of see what I mean with a few of the roofs on my lots.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 26th Oct 2015 at 11:34 PM
Thanks jo and Zara for the additional thoughts I'm back home and I opened my game to start rebuilding it, and about two minutes in my brain just went "NOPE DONT WANNA NOPE". It's just such a hot mess, by MTS-standards, and my brain doesn't want to try to figure it out in time for this theme. I will keep your feedback in case I want to upload this in the future, but I'll figure something else out for this theme.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 26th Oct 2015 at 11:40 PM
Understandable, I have to be in a building mood and I haven't had that lately. Well I haven't even played Sims 2 for about a week now as I am playing Dragon Age Inquisition. Go back when you feel like it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~